Close

Hybrid View

The funny thing is that chasing

technology is what keeps me interested. Each of us has our own viewpoint, I guess.

Reading this made me remember

things like running home from school to watch John Glen lift off on a black and white TV. Or my dad giving me a

quarter to get gas for the lawnmower and getting change back. Or using a dime to buy an ice cream from the guy in

the truck or thirty cents for a school lunch.

A while back I had to be in California for a few days and while I

was there had some free time so drove out to the Junoir High School where I used to work with the science club. The

vacant lot where we used to fly model rockets now had a strip mall on it. There was something very sad about seeing

my old launch pad paved over.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    The

funny thing is that chasing technology is what keeps me interested. Each of us has our own viewpoint, I guess.

I feel the same way. I'm amazed at how many doors are open to me now that weren't when I was a kid.

I'm still relatively young in my mid-30s and have the ability to explore all kinds of ideas and worlds. I love

books and still enjoy reading the old fashioned way, and even that has been improved by technology. Now I can find

books more easily on the Internet on a wide variety of subjects thanks to Amazon and other booksellers. Also more

people are able to produce books and share their ideas than in the past when they relied on big publishers.

Remember when you were limited to what was at the library or what was in a catalog? Now, if I am interested in a

subject, I can instantly find all kinds of titles available and get them very quickly. I also can communicate

instantly with someone across the world on any fascinating subject. Also, synthetic pheromones are something that

we have access to now because of technology. And, discussion boards such as this one allow us new ways to grow and

expand.

Yes, technology can be overwhelming at times. I fully recommend breaks from it at times. That can

build your appreciation for the technology itself as well as the simple things. I think both have their

place.
    Last edited by Tester123; 12-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Since I own a computer service

company, technology is not something I can really get a break from. My breaks are my books and outdoor activities.

I love books and have them hanging around everywhere and am in the middle of one always. TV rarely holds much

of interest but between my beloved books and the huge amount of information available on the web, I rarely am at a

loss for something new to explore. I am 51 years old and still see nothing but open vistas out there to explore. If

I could live another hundred years or so I might cover half of what I want to learn and explore.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Good thoughts you guys.

There's a huge benefit to technology, I can't do without it in my business. At the same time my greatest joy is

designing and building things from materials that come from the earth. I guess I'm fortunate to be transitional

being.

I much prefer reading a book, but I love the fact that I can search a subject and instantly read dozens of

sources.

The only difference I see is the impersonal aspect of technology. We once wrote letters by hand, which

required a process of thought and personal connection that is qualitatively different from emails and forums. Its

too late to go back, and I'm not sure that its altogether a bad thing, but we should take every opportunity to

touch something that has always been there.

It's hard for me to take a

break too. I work for one of the largest tech companies in the world....but I do try to get out into nature and get

away when I can. I know that's not always doable for those who need to be on call for customers 24 hours a day.

I'm not in that position, so I am able to get these breaks from time to

time.
    Last edited by Tester123; 12-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.

I actually like handwritten

letters delivered by post....but it's a rare luxury to get those

anymore.
    Last edited by Tester123; 12-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    my

greatest joy is designing and building things from materials that come from the earth. I guess I'm fortunate to be

transitional being.
    For that I have my flowers and plants. It is relaxing to go outside and play in the

dirt and there is nothing better than coming home from a long day to my quiet yard filled with flowers. There is

something renewing about spending some time helping things grow.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tester123 View Post
    I

actually like handwritten letters delivered by post....but it's a rare luxury to get those

anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    For that I have my flowers and plants. It is relaxing to go outside and

play in the dirt and there is nothing better than coming home from a long day to my quiet yard filled with flowers.

There is something renewing about spending some time helping things grow.
    One day last week I worked in

the yard in the afternoon, and wrote a handwritten letter that evening. Put it in the mailbox feeling like I

actually spent time with my parents. Nobody complained about receiving stale news or already-known sentiments. And

the cell-phone call a few days later was nice. Life is different.

Thread Information