Close

Stranger

Default VNO: only a small % of us have a functional one so whats with all the madness?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Ok,, so science tells us that in human beings only 8-12% or 10-15% of us do

have a functional VNO. FOr the rest of us its merely a vestigial structure. So is it worth it? WHat i mean is,

are our efforts to mix, match, find ratios, cover scents etc worth our time considering the fact that it would only

affect a certain amout of the human population anyways? Maybe people are mistaking the BO smell with the actual

detection of pheromones. (80% of us can detect this BO apparently) and in my opionion this detection is based on

our olfactory receptors and not from VNO detection. Whether this is true or not, the fact that only a few of us

have a functional VNO (so science inferrs)

Source? Link? Thanks.

Some science infers that. There

have been a few studies done recently that showed excitation of the VNO by mones. The big question is, if it works

and it seems to, is it all that important which organ detects it?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

its probably not the case that 80%

have a functional VNO, so I believe that the 'BO' detection is from our olfactory receptors and not from the VNO.

IF this is the case, then pheromones users are in a situation where they substantiall increase their chance of

smelling bad in order to take a small chance (10%) to smell good i guess. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Davo
    its probably not

the case that 80% have a functional VNO
    Based on what? Or is that an opinion without evidence? The debate

is still open as to whether the VNO works or not. Other than that, BO smell is dependent on the amount and type of

mones you use.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Default re:

Source: well ive been looking

around here and there. A textBook that I used for a course I took in undergrad "Neuroscience" by Dale Purves et al,

they claim its 8% however, these are only extrapolations from tests done on less than 100 people or less than 50

random cadavors so that number ain't so definitive.

Try doing some research on the

web for more recent info. Like I said, there is at least one study that definately demonstrated the VNO was being

activated by none. A good place to start would be the pheromoone reference library and follow phero links from

there.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Enthusiast

I read somewhere that the

VNO is only a small part of detecting mones. A test was done with pigs... the male pigs (hogs?) had their VNO

sealed off with surgical cement, but they could still detect a female pig in heat with no change in sensitivity. I

read that on here somewhere, but searched to no avail.
    Blessed are the cross-eyed, for they shall see God twice.
    Products I own: AE/m, APC/m, NPA/m, TE/m, SPMO, SOE/m, WAGG, Perception, EW, Chikara

Anyone want to let a newbie in on

what a VNO is? Never heard of it.

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Anyone want

to let a newbie in on what a VNO is? Never heard of it.
    Please view this link:

http://www.knowledge.co.uk/frontiers/sf090/sf090b06.htm
    Blessed are the cross-eyed, for they shall see God twice.
    Products I own: AE/m, APC/m, NPA/m, TE/m, SPMO, SOE/m, WAGG, Perception, EW, Chikara

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeStudent
    Cheers, thanks for the link, interesting read

Okay a Q.

If only 15% or less

have this, how do you know this?

and how can you tell if you have it personally? Does having a good smell mean

you have this? like being able to smell perfumes easilly etc???

So far no neuronal connection

between the vomeronasal pit and the hypothalamus has been shown. Activation of the hypothalamus has been shown by

two putative human pheromones (vomeropherins) and activation occurs differently in men versus women exposed to

opposite sex vomeropherins. Whether or not the human VNO is vestigial, other putative human pheromones appear (e.g.

androstenol) to elicit the pituitary LH and gonadal estrogen/testosterone (e.g., copulins) response, which has been

demonstrated in other animals regardless of VNO function. Sooner or later most people will realize that the question

of VNO presence and function is not too pertinent, since pheromones do cause hormonal changes. Links to recent

research can be found on the Scientific Evidence page of my web site.

JVK

Phero Pro

What I find interesting is that

the VNO apparently is damaged and non functioning after a person has had a nose job ( nose surgery). However in my

experience, and I have dated many girls who have had total nose reshaping and reconstruction, and yet the pheromones

have worked just perfectly. In fact what I found is that girls who have had nose jobs are more suseptiple to the

mones then the girls that have not had a nose job. Perhaps its because thier sense of smell is hightend after thier

nose has been cleared of years of pollen (you wouldnt believe what accumulates up our nose after years)

I

dont think the VNO has much to do with pheromone detection, and I beleive its as others suggest, its a hormonal

change brought on by the pheromone molecules entering the nose membrane, the mouth and even the skin.

Example, it only takes the tiniest amount of scent added to natural gas for it to smell bad, thus creating a

certain behaviour that causes alarm bells ringing. For example other hazadous airbone substances, you dont need a

vno for them to cause a certain behaviour in your body.

think of nerve gas, that only needs exposed skin to

be deadly, etc

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Davo
    Ok,, so science

tells us that in human beings only 8-12% or 10-15% of us do have a functional VNO. FOr the rest of us its merely a

vestigial structure. So is it worth it? WHat i mean is, are our efforts to mix, match, find ratios, cover scents etc

worth our time considering the fact that it would only affect a certain amout of the human population anyways? Maybe

people are mistaking the BO smell with the actual detection of pheromones. (80% of us can detect this BO apparently)

and in my opionion this detection is based on our olfactory receptors and not from VNO detection. Whether this is

true or not, the fact that only a few of us have a functional VNO (so science inferrs)
    I thought 20 percent

of the population had non-functional VNO,S .

i don't care how the vno works,

most girls respond very well to the mones and the rest are kinda shy try to ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzie
    What I find

interesting is that the VNO apparently is damaged and non functioning after a person has had a nose job ( nose

surgery).
    A research journal article in the 90's advised surgeons to be wary of damage to the VNO.

This effectively "put on notice" that litigation for such damage would result. I've been consulted for cases

regarding loss of the sense of smell, but have yet to be contacted by anyone involved in a case of VNO damage. Since

attorneys don't seem to miss much, I expected to hear about many cases against surgeons.

JVK

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Okay a Q.

If

only 15% or less have this, how do you know this?

and how can you tell if you have it personally? Does having a

good smell mean you have this? like being able to smell perfumes easilly etc???
    Don't worry about it, as

JVK said, there is nothing to disprove the theory that a pheromonal pathway exists within normal olfaction.
    CptKipling

Information about pheromones: Pheromone Information Library

Thread Information