Close

Thread: A sad thing...

Threaded View

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Yeah, giving. It's weird, though, because I think people naturally want to give. Somehow that gets changed. Or what you're offering isn't wanted or needed. Some people try to give, or give unconditionally without getting in return. Eventually that gets old. The starving person dishing out food to people. Maybe the starving person gives in to brute selfishness some day, and drinks himself to death (OK, selfishness combined with foolishness and addiction and lack of support and something to live for, etc...). But the things that are in demand in our culture boggle my mind. It's all the stuff I'm not personally interested in. It's not necessarily just giving, but giving what is "valued". I don't want those things, and yet that seems all people want. So I'm a terrible judge of it, since I don't share the mindset. And it is the superficial, selfish things. Don't get me wrong. I also have my selfish, superficial, materialistic side. But these are things I'm not too fond of in myself, not things I trumpet to the rest of the world. But yeah, I agree that if everyone had that attitude, that would be a huge, huge thing for the planet. But is it really giving for me to make one more style of Air Jordans? (I live near Nike headquarters, so first thing I thought of). It might be that what people interpret as giving is really just enabling it to be worse. But I agree, especially on the "spirit" level. Bringing a spirit of giving to everything, early and often. I don't think we teach that. I learned only through watching good examples, especially my mother. My father could be the most giving person ever, or also very selfish when he struggled with addiction. The giving part is without question the real him, though. There are some things that are always capable of being received, and we can always give those. So we can start there. But I also don't like living in a place where what some have to give isn't wanted. The easy example is art and music. It's just not valued, and the part of it that is valued, is the superficial part. I could take the world's greatest violinist and put him next to some empty headed bimbo (not to be sexist), and the bimbo wins every time. But I do think the more developed your soul is with the spirit of giving in everything, like you say, that works in one's favor. No question. But I know a lot of very giving people who are not really integrated into society. I guess, as you say, it has to be something most everybody learns. But what in our system of learning or teaching in this country could provide optimism in that regard? I never ever watch TV, and haven't for several decades, unless for some major sporting event. People's favorite shows from 25 years ago are brand new to me. But when I've visited my parents, and get to see what TV looks like, I am always appalled at what I find on it. Then I feel weird for feeling so appalled at what is accepted as good and true. It's mind boggling levels of stupidity (sorry for seeming judgemental here), the blatant celebration of ignorance, in fact. Total superficiality. Total selfishness. Not the normal selfishness ("Wally took the bigger piece of fish, mom!" -- this is how long ago I watched TV), but the ludicrous absurdly humorous kind. Then it's this intense joy people experience at watching others' misery. Dozens of show all about that. Then it's this macho tough guy crap. Everything that is celebrated seems like crap. There's almost nothing to relate to. And people take this in every day?? Just not my cup of tea. But instead of gracefully stepping aside, you spend your life at war with the "powers that be". You knew me when I was overflowing with that war-like energy every day. But that's not sustainable. I guess I'm much less hopeful than before. Not to be so negative, but I guess I'm trying to relate to the mindset of someone who decides to say "screw it" one day. It's not all that unimaginable (Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, my browser is acting up again. I'll fix it before my next post, hopefully.).
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 07-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Thread Information