Close

Thread: Kids on Earth

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    Is the solution to

curtail such advertisement?
    Sounds good to me.
    For countless generations human cultures have

developed by teaching children how to satisfy basic needs by mastering specific skills. Now we’re taching them that

their needs are endless and the only skills they need are to whine, fuss and beg.
    (Maybe it’s a good thing I’m

not a parent, because I’d probably be a tyrant.)
    Give truth a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a.
    Sounds good to

me.
    For countless generations human cultures have developed by teaching children how to satisfy basic needs by

mastering specific skills. Now we’re taching them that their needs are endless and the only skills they need are to

whine, fuss and beg.
    (Maybe it’s a good thing I’m not a parent, because I’d probably be a tyrant.)
    My kids

thought I was a tyrant. Now I see my eldest using the attitudes and approaches on her own that she so disliked as

a kid.

In part, we parents are too blame for allowing it. We can turn off the TV, we can refuse to overwhelm

them with toys, we can even spend time with them and teaching them.

I can't tell you the number of times I've

seen kids in stores get their way by whining, screaming, crying or some combination. A few years ago we had this

neighbor who had taught their kids to keep asking for something and the answer would change from no to yes.

Those are often the same parents that don't make their kids help with housework, help around the yard, dole out

money on a whim and so on. Then these poor kids get out in the real world and discover that it doesn't work that

way. They have to pay their credit cards and wash their own sock and sweep their own floors. CULTURE SHOCK!!!

I

sure wish kids came with a manual.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

King of the coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    In part, we

parents are too blame for allowing it. We can turn off the TV, we can refuse to overwhelm them with toys, we can

even spend time with them and teaching them.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen kids in stores

get their way by whining, screaming, crying or some combination. A few years ago we had this neighbor who had taught

their kids to keep asking for something and the answer would change from no to yes.

Those are often the same

parents that don't make their kids help with housework, help around the yard, dole out money on a whim and so on.

Then these poor kids get out in the real world and discover that it doesn't work that way. They have to pay their

credit cards and wash their own sock and sweep their own floors. CULTURE SHOCK!!!

I sure wish kids came with a

manual.
    You couldn't have said it better, Bel, and it sounds just my daughter, in which my fingers are

crossed to finally get her, after three promises, after this school year - 10 going on 40. Her mom's only way of

showing her love is to give give give. Spoiled to the core, and can tell you anything that happen on Eliminate a

Date, and just sent me a school picture with lip stick on! It's terrible!!!! If I say something, her

mom's punishes me by disappearing for a long while without a phone call. And even worse, the only thing I have is

prayer ... with hopes that I'll become a GOOD responsible parent, and that this time, I get her. For I

think it will be enough time for me to help her see before she hit her NO WAY AM I GOING TO CHANGE teens!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Thread Information