Quote Originally Posted by real_wiseman View Post
I saw a perfumers-site (from which I bought stuff years ago) that claimed they could - more or less anyways - replicate almost any fragrance and make it oilbased, i.e. the carrier would be oil and not alcohol.

Now I would assume that Pheros would be hard to replicate, but it would be interesting to see whether they could replicate the scent or not. From what DST writes I would assume that this replica - if ever mafe - wouldn´t have the qualities the "real" Pheros has, what with all the natural ingredients, but maybe just an approximation of the scent.

At the risk of drawing a too-distant analogy, that would be like reproducing the Mona Lisa in a paint-by-numbers kit.

Beyond the difficulty of obtaining the proper ingredients - and that's enough in itself - Doc put a lot of artful blending and intuitive understanding of what he wanted to achieve into the process. I think its a matter of Pheros being greater than the sum of its parts, rare as they may be.

Think of it as a great film, it can only be made once.

I guess someone could come close, but the cost would be prohibitive and the result would inevitably be far less than the original.

A factor that also must be considered is what it does, not only how it smells. Analogue pheromones give Pheros a dimensional aspect that few products can match.

PS Doc, I think you should post information about your friend who is working with analogue pheromones and scents. I don't see a competitive problem if he's not doing lab 'mones. I think Bruce is working on the PM situation.