Close

Hybrid View

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

It's your choice. I could be

wrong. Mtnjim's approach is one way, although any extended illness could indicate possible future health problems

in an employer's eye.

It really just depends on the situation, and luck of the draw. My first inclination would

be to turn my illness (and renewed sense of courage, focus, priorities, and determination, etc.) into a glowing

positive, without being preoccupied with it, or using it too much as an excuse. What the hell kind of character

building was the guy or gal interviewing you engaged in in the past five years? It can be similar to being in the

military or Peace Corps, if one creates that character from the experience. It makes a compelling story for selling

certain positive qualities, especially if you can embellish it with other things from your life somehow. I

personally would feel confident I could sell it to most audiences. That's just me.

Not everyone will want to

invest in you. But many will. The guy on Larry King is just one guy, with one boss. What kind of jackass thinks,

"Had cancer, won't hire him!"? Would you want to work for that person anyway?

Every potential employee carries

risks, including health risks. You just have to know how you represent far more potential return and benefits than

risks, and feel confident in that.

You know what the possibilities and/or statistics of relapse are for your

situation. You are taking more of a risk with your health than any employer. You can decide what you feel

comfortable with yourself, and if you don't have a problem with it, why should anyone else? To be frank, if you

thought you were going to die tomorrow, you wouldn't invest in extensive training either, so you must already feel

good about your intention to work at what you want to do. You must feel strongly that your own logic is more sound

than any potential naysayer's. If they bring the risk up, your confidence here will be valuable. You can tell them

you are recovered, no longer needing treatment, and in permanent remission; as far as medical science can tell, for

example. That would be honest.

On the other hand, you might conclude that you have to "withhold" certain aspects

to be most true to yourself and the world. This could be one of those rare instances. Maybe I just ain't

seein' it. But if you really did, all things considered, then you could still feel good, that you were living with

maximum integrity.

You can always look at each potential job separately, and finesse your resume accordingly. You

can also modify your approach over time with experience.

I just think I can detect a little negative,

pessimistic, fatalistic thinking on your part, over and above "what the situation calls for"; and wonder whether

that might be interfering with your perception of reality a slight little bit.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 10-26-2005 at 08:23 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

"

It's your choice. I could be wrong. Mtnjim's approach is one way,

although any extended illness could indicate possible future health problems in an employer's eye.

It really

just depends on the situation, and luck of the draw. My first inclination would be to turn my illness (and renewed

sense of courage, focus, priorities, and determination, etc.) into a glowing positive, without being preoccupied

with it, or using it too much as an excuse."

I tend to agree with the Doc. Tell the truth, hence my "extended

illness" response, but-- as the Doc says put a positive spin on it. Don't over emphasize it, but acknowledge it.

Good Luck!!!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    I just think

I can detect a little negative, pessimistic, fatalistic thinking on your part, over and above "what the situation

calls for"; and wonder whether that might be interfering with your perception of reality a slight little

bit.
    I was preparing to volunteer at a hospital I sent my tainted resume to originally for a real job. It

made me upset to think I may have complicated matters with BS which I no longer wish to keep up. I guess the only

thing I can do is call it a typo if anyone asks.

The volunteer position is non-paid and probably run through a

different department than HR anyhow. Plus I'm doing them a favor so ... maybe it was an overreaction.

Thread Information