I´don´t know I lost my compass,you have to go and check my old profile

Default Saddam Hussein captured

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Allegedly!

Sadhu

Default Re: Saddam Hussein captured

It looks like

it´s really him but I´m still kinda sceptical. Don´t know why.

Phero Guru

he must

have been wearing the wrong pheromones!!!

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    he must have been wearing the wrong pheromones!!!

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

He looks pissed in the picture.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Merry

Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sadhu

Pissed? Or

stoned?

Sadhu

the beeb´s got

some footage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    he does look like he´s been having a

pretty uncomfortable time. GOOD !!!!

Saddam

Hussein Captured Alive Near Tikrit

By HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American

forces captured a bearded Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) as he hid in a dirt hole under a farmhouse near his

hometown of Tikrit, ending one of the most intensive manhunts in history. The arrest, eight months after the fall of

Baghdad, was carried out without a shot fired and was a huge victory for U.S. forces.

\"Ladies and gentlemen,

we got him,\" U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer told a news conference Sunday. \"The tyrant is a prisoner.\"

Saddam was captured Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in a specially prepared \"spider hole\" in a house in Adwar, a town

10 miles from Tikrit, said Lt Col. Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq (news - web sites). The

hole was six to eight feet deep, with enough space to lie down, camouflaged with bricks and dirt and supplied with

an air vent to allow long periods inside.

A U.S. defense official said Saddam admitted his identity when

captured.

Sanchez, who saw Saddam overnight, said the deposed leader \"has been cooperative and is

talkative.\" He described Saddam as \"a tired man, a man resigned to his fate.\"

In the capital, radio

stations played celebratory music, residents fired small arms in the air in celebration and passengers on buses and

trucks shouted, \"They got Saddam! They got Saddam!\"

Eager to give Iraqis evidence that the elusive former

dictator had indeed been captured, Sanchez played a video at the news conference showing the 66-year-old Saddam in

custody. Saddam, with a thick, graying beard and bushy, disheveled hair, was seen as doctor examined him, holding

his mouth open with a tongue depressor, apparently to get a DNA sample. Saddam touched his beard during the exam.

Then the video showed a picture of Saddam after he was shaved, juxtaposed for comparison with an old photo of the

Iraqi leader while in power.

Iraqi journalists in the audience stood, pointed and shouted \"Death to Saddam!\"

and \"Down with Saddam!\"

Though the raid occurred Saturday afternoon American time, U.S. officials went to

great length to keep it quiet until medical tests and DNA testing confirmed Saddam\'s identity.

Washington

hopes Saddam\'s capture will help break the organized Iraq resistance that has killed more than 190 American

soldiers since President Bush (news - web sites) declared major combat over on May 1 and has set back efforts at

reconstruction. U.S. commanders have said that while in hiding Saddam played some role in the guerrilla campaign

blamed on his followers.

In the latest attack, a suspected suicide bomber detonated explosives in a car outside

a police station Sunday morning west of Baghdad, killing at least 17 people and wounding 33 more, the U.S. military

said.

Saddam was being held at an undisclosed location, and U.S. authorities have not yet determined whether to

hand him over to the Iraqis for trial, Sanchez said. Iraqi officials want him to stand trial before a war crimes

tribunal created last week.

\"This success brings closure to the Iraqi people,\" Sanchez said.

\"Saddam

Hussein will never return to a position of power from which he can punish, terrorize, intimidate and exploit the

Iraqi people as the did for more than 35 years.\"

Ahmad Chalabi, a member of Iraq\'s Governing Council, said

Sunday that Saddam will be put on trial.

\"Saddam will stand a public trial so that the Iraqi people will know

his crimes,\" said Chalabi told Al-Iraqiya, a Pentagon funded TV station.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair

(news - web sites) hailed the capture, saying the deposed leader \"has gone from power, he won\'t be coming

back.\"

\"Where his rule meant terror and division and brutality, let his capture bring about unity,

reconciliation and peace between all the people of Iraq,\" Blair said in brief comments at his 10 Downing St.

office.

In Tikrit, U.S. soldiers lit up cigars after hearing the news of Saddam\'s capture.

Some 600

troops from the 4th Infantry Division along with Special Forces captured Saddam, the U.S. military said. There were

no shots fired or injuries in the raid, called \"Operation Red Dawn,\" Sanchez said.

Two men \"affiliated

with Saddam Hussein\" were detained with him, and soldiers confiscated two Kalashnikov rifles, a pistol, a taxi and

$750,000 in $100 bills, Sanchez said. The two men were \"fairly insignificant\" regime figures, a U.S. defense

official said.

Celebratory gunfire erupted in the capital, and shop owners closed their doors, fearful that the

shooting would make the streets unsafe.

\"I\'m very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer

now,\" said 35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad. \"Now we can start a new beginning.\"

Earlier in

the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns

in the air in celebration.

\"We are celebrating like it\'s a wedding,\" said Kirkuk resident Mustapha

Sheriff. \"We are finally rid of that criminal.\"

\"This is the joy of a lifetime,\" said Ali Al-Bashiri,

another resident. \"I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule.\"

Despite the

celebration throughout Baghdad, many residents were skeptical.

\"I heard the news, but I\'ll believe it when

I see it,\" said Mohaned al-Hasaji, 33. \"They need to show us that they really have him.\"

Ayet Bassem, 24,

walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

\"Things will be better for my son,\" she said. \"Everyone says

everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future.\"

After invading Iraq on March 20 and

setting up their headquarters in Saddam\'s sprawling Republican Palace compound in Baghdad, U.S. troops launched a

massive manhunt for the fugitive (news - Y! TV) leader, placing a $25 million bounty on his head and sending

thousands of soldiers to search for him.

Saddam was one of the most-wanted fugitives in the world, along with

Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), the leader of the al-Qaida terrorist network who hasn\'t been caught despite a

manhunt since November 2001, when the Taliban regime was overthrown in Afghanistan.

Saddam proved elusive during

the war, when at least two dramatic military strikes came up empty in their efforts to assassinate him. Since then,

he has appeared in both video and audio tapes. U.S. officials named him No. 1 on their list of 55 most-wanted

Iraqis, the lead card in a special deck of most-wanted cards.

Saddam\'s sons Qusai and Odai — each with a $15

million bounty on their heads — were killed July 22 in a four-hour gunbattle with U.S. troops in a hideout in the

northern city of Mosul. The bounties were paid out to the man who owned the house where they were killed, residents

said.

Adnan Pachachi, member of Iraq\'s U.S.-appointed Governing Council, said Saddam\'s capture will bring

stability to Iraq.

\"The state of fear, intelligence and oppression is gone forever,\" Pachachi said. \"The

Iraqi people are very happy and we look forward to a future of national reconciliation between Iraqis in order to

build the new and free Iraq, an Iraq of equality.\"

Phero Pharaoh

It looks like it´s really him but I´m still kinda

sceptical. Don´t know why.

Maybe because you saw the movie

\"Wag the Dog.\"

I\'m sceptical too. I also doubt that he was connected to 9-11. His planes don\'t fly.

And, as the French keep pointing out, neither he nor the Afghani cave dweller has ther influence/ability to subborn

the FAA AND the Air Force.

Sadhu

Maybe because you saw the movie \"Wag the Dog.\"

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> No.
    But the US governemnt and media like to bullshit people.

Plus, Bush needs something positive to tell people so hopefully they´ll think he ain´t so bad after all and re elect

him after all!
    It is him though as I´m pretty sure now having followed the news all day, it´s late afternoon over

here now.

The US gov used the WTC attacks as an excuse to go into Iraq IMO. They had no evidence that Saddam was

involved in it. Sure he has connections with bin laden, I mean he probably does but that´s no proof of involvement

IMO.

Phero Pharaoh

</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Maybe because you saw the movie \"Wag the Dog.\"

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> No.
    But the US governemnt and media like to bullshit people. Plus, Bush

needs something positive to tell people so hopefully they´ll think he ain´t so bad after all and re elect him after

all!
    It is him though as I´m pretty sure now having followed the news all day, it´s late afternoon over here

now.

The US gov used the WTC attacks as an excuse to go into Iraq IMO. They had no evidence that Saddam was

involved in it. Sure he has connections with bin laden, I mean he probably does but that´s no proof of involvement

IMO.

Agree with you, re:this. Except that he and Bin Laden are

reported to have hated eachother.

I would be a

hypocrite if I said that the US should ignore the atrocities that went on under Saddams reign. Even if he had

nothing to do with 9/11, we still can\'t sit blindly by while thousands (millions) of innocent people are killed.

I just wish that people would have stepped in fasting during the World War II/holocaust before over 6 million (I

think the number was closer to 13 million total) people were killed. Just because it isn\'t going on in our own

backyard doesn\'t give us the right to ignore it. JMHO

Sadhu

I agree, since

the early/mid 90´s I´ve been asking myself why Milosevic was not stopped!!! I mean why did nobody do

anything?!

WW2 is one point in time where the USA really could have gotten off their botties a little sooner

imo.

We must also bear in mind that saddam didn´t become a leader by his own efforts alone. He had help from

outside - weapons supply is a keyword here.

I agree, since the early/mid 90´s I´ve been asking

myself why Milosevic was not stopped!!! I mean why did nobody do anything?!

WW2 is one point in time where the

USA really could have gotten off their botties a little sooner imo.

We must also bear in mind that saddam didn´t

become a leader by his own efforts alone. He had help from outside - weapons supply is a keyword here.

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I agree, CJ.

Americans are very aware of how horrible Saddam was to

his people, but many still say that it is someone else\'s job to take care of the problem. Like who? To me that is

like saying, \"why should I donate money to the American Heart Association, when there is nothing wrong with my

heart?\" It\'s because it is the right thing to do.

Banned User

Here there are

people (they call themselves anti-fascists) who are collecting money for the so-called \"Iraqi-resistance\" to

bomb \"American Imperialists\"... The ultra-left people here are really nuts, the scandal was that they were

granted rooms at the college I study at to hold meetings.. I know these people can\'t be helped but I do hope some

of them will change their minds now that Saddam is captured..

Franki

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sadhu

taking care of it

was long overdue. What I disagree with is how Bush and his people went about it! It was a head over heels action

and they act like they own the whole damn world and can do what they want, don´t need to justify themselves because

HEY, they´re a big and powerful country and just don´t need to explain themselves or collaborate with others, know

what I mean? It´s a cowboy attitude which, in my opinion has no place in our world and time.
    And BSing everyone

really doesn´t make them more credible.

What really p*ssed me off BIG TIME was that agreement about not being

done for war crimes. ie, they got immunity. I mean if that´s nothing to worry about -dodgy or what!

I think we

pretty much agree on the subject overall. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I was watching

footage on CNN this morning. The country has errupted into massive celebration, and that caught everybody by

surprise over here. When they killed his sons, Iraqiis kept quiet and there was all this speculation why folks

weren\'t celebrating. \"Maybe they need to see some proof...\" etc etc. Now it all comes into focus. It is

the man himself they feared and running around celebrating that his sons are dead didn\'t seems so wise back then.

Now it\'s time to celebrate.

OK, I\'m agreed that the whole war was business driven. If the \"right

thing\" is going to get done, the common man (ie: you and I) has to let his voice be heard. Personally, I am glad

Sadam is gone. He was a creep. But if we are going to walk away as the good guys, we have to rebuild this country

big time, and right now! Reports are that conditions are deteriorating. Let\'s fix that place up, get a decent

democratic government going and get the hell out. Now is a good opportunity to show rather than explain that we are

the good folks.

B

Sadhu

yeah Bruce!

What do you think of Bush´s decision that most countries are not `allowed´ to participate in the rebuilding

process?
    - that really annoyed me, because it´s not his decision to make.

Saddams sons are/were just as bad as

he was. Total sadists! I´m not into capital punishment, I reckon torture is a much more appropriate punishment for

such SCUMS!

Banned User

yeah Bruce!
    What do you think of Bush´s

decision that most countries are not `allowed´ to participate in the rebuilding process?
    - that really annoyed

me, because it´s not his decision to make.

It may not be

nice of Bush, but I think the USA has the right to spend its own tax money the way it wants...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Sadhu

true but it also

means business for those who invest, eventually, maybe...
    I dead certain they´ve been nicking sh*tloads of oil,

from day 1 anyway...

From what I

read, Bush has softened his position on the contract barriers. Both Franki and CJ make good points. A lot of US

tax dollars are going to pay for the reconstruction, and yeah, there is a hell of a lot of oil coming out of the

country every day. Let the businessmen crunch the numbers and argue about that. I just want to see the standard of

living of the average Iraqii skyrocket over the next few months. I have this nagging feeling that if they don\'t

do it now, it is never going to happen.

B

But if we are going to walk away as the good guys,

we have to rebuild this country big time, and right now! Reports are that conditions are deteriorating. Let\'s fix

that place up, get a decent democratic government going and get the hell out. Now is a good opportunity to show

rather than explain that we are the good folks

I agree. I am sure

we will do the right thing.

I think we pretty much agree on the subject

overall.

I think so too, CJ.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

I would be a hypocrite if I said that the US should

ignore the atrocities that went on under Saddams reign. Even if he had nothing to do with 9/11, we still can\'t

sit blindly by while thousands (millions) of innocent people are killed. I just wish that people would have stepped

in fasting during the World War II/holocaust before over 6 million (I think the number was closer to 13 million

total) people were killed. Just because it isn\'t going on in our own backyard doesn\'t give us the right to

ignore it. JMHO

Only thing is.. we armed him, WHILE he was

committing atrocities. We only cut him loose, when he balked us.

And, we are also supporting other atrocious

regimes.

So, I agree with you. But, that\'s not how our govt does things.

Phero Pharaoh

become a leader by his own efforts alone. He had help from outside - weapons supply is a keyword here.

<hr

He got weapons first, from us, then, from the Russians. Weaponrt is now

dated and primitive, and the planes don\'t fly.

</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    I would be a hypocrite if I said that the US should ignore the atrocities

that went on under Saddams reign. Even if he had nothing to do with 9/11, we still can\'t sit blindly by while

thousands (millions) of innocent people are killed. I just wish that people would have stepped in fasting during the

World War II/holocaust before over 6 million (I think the number was closer to 13 million total) people were killed.

Just because it isn\'t going on in our own backyard doesn\'t give us the right to ignore it. JMHO

<hr

Only thing is.. we armed him, WHILE he was committing atrocities. We only

cut him loose, when he balked us.

And, we are also supporting other atrocious regimes.

So, I agree with you.

But, that\'s not how our govt does things.

I am looking at

the end result. I know that people don\'t like the way the Bush went into this war, but I just don\'t see that

as what is important. To me what matters is now Iraqi people can listen to the radio and choose to enjoy music

without having to worry about being shot in the head. There are horiffic atrocities going on in our world. This is

just a drop in the bucket, but it is a start.

Man of La Pancha

<hr

I don\'t know if this will come as a shock to anyone, but we created our

own monsters...

Leaders like Castro, Saddam, and the former Afghan regime...The US government was what gave them

their power.

Castro is easy because everyone knows we helped him overthrow the old regime, but a lot of people

don\'t know that we gave millions of dollars to the Taliban government a few years ago and gave Saddam enough

weapons to add Texas to the Gulf of Mexico (if you get the mental picture) when we were in conflict with Iran. The

US is the country that gave them power, and now it is the country that is taking away their power. (Warning: Bad

joke coming) Sometimes I think the Pentagon is just a big building with a large gameboard of Risk

inside...

\"It\'s Risk, Jerry. The game of world conquest.\" - Kramer

Sadhu

yeah kari, that´s

what I was implying. It was the US who played a mega vital role in making as powerful as he is/WAS. scary!

the

planes don´t fly? Getting an aircraft up and running is a piece of cake.

Sometimes I think the Pentagon is just a big

building with a large gameboard of Risk inside...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No sh!t.

Holmes

Leaders like Castro, Saddam, and the former Afghan

regime...The US government was what gave them their power.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Yeah, we

screwed up but we still can\'t turn a blind eye to innocent people being bullied around. I see that a lot of

people are pointing fingers at the US. What do you suppose we do? Should we ignore what is going on in the rest of

the world?

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information