Close

View Poll Results:

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • What milk? What tea?

10 55.56%
  • Of course I saw it!

4 22.22%
  • Though I'm normally quite clever, you foooed me this time!

4 22.22%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 717

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    Nice

review James.
    Thanks, and also thanks for posting the link, which I have bookmarked for future

reading. However, a quick search on "pheromone' didn't bring anything up.

I've read

Turin's writing extensively and can understand his disinclination to follow the well-trodden path "within the

system". He's a maverick, and suffering fools lightly would not be one of his personal

characteristics.
    He very nicely told me about an early publication in "Nature," which politely

corrected me with regards to his ego driving his attempt go straight to the top and publish in a high impact

journal. Since he had already done so on another topic, I now better understand why he fought the peer-review

process. It also helps to have subseqently gone through the same fight, albeit with the reviewers and editor of a

journal with less impact.

Not that his detractors or stonewalling adversaries are

fools, but it does seem somewhat foolish for anyone in any field to deny the possibility of others having valid

contributions and/or differences. I think its even more important to entertain views that are opposed to your

own.
    I don't mind entertaining opposite views, but would add the caveat, from experience, that

people on both sides must be willing to discuss their differences. I have not had that experience here.

My dad was a research Engineer, and I grew up hearing about "Vested interests beat

out new ideas. Egos smother creativity. Personalities clash". Its just too bad that self-interest (and ego) trumps

open discussion and progress at so many levels.
    Another level of self-interest is marketing, though

this may extend past individuals to corporate entities.

I applaud Luca for setting up his blog, and also

understand why he ended it. Corporations are more interested in profit than having their researchers discuss issues

with others--even when its on the researcher's own time.

BTW, have you read Turin's

book? If so what do you think? Last I read he's working for a company that designs and manufactures chemical

scents.
    Unfortunately, no. When I saw that is was not related to pheromones, it deterred me from

purchase. I may rethink this after first reading a forthcoming book by Rachel Herz, whose focus also is more on

odors than pheromones.

Close with a quote from Turin's book that has as much to do

with pheromones as it does with scent. "though we now know almost everything there is to know about molecules, we

don't know how our nose reads them." (emphasis his).
    Good close. I would argue, however, that

how our noses read them is not as interesting to me as the mechanisms set in place when we do read them--at least

for pheromones, if not all chemical signals. We will learn more about vibration theory and receptors during the next

few years, so there's no reason to wait to learn more about activation of the biological sequence of events that

links pheromones to behavior while we're waiting. That's why I sometimes have trouble abiding by the proponents of

soft science, who don't want to discuss any "hard" science perspective.

PPS forgot to

ask, what's your take on Turin's vibrational theory?
    I'm biased by what is already known about

ligand-receptor interaction. Too much so to fully consider Luca's more vibrational theory, which is more

complicated and less well-detailed. I would need to learn more about another specialty area: physics before

venturing an opinion that would probably be feeble at best.

If you PM me, or contact me outside the Forum,

I'll send you the .pdf reprint of my most recent article, so that you might better understand my limitations with

regard to taking on another discipline.

James V. Kohl
    The Scent of Eros

Phero Enthusiast tenaciousBLADE's Avatar

Granted, I only red the

20-something first posts in this very-long thread...
    But.. I got a question...
    Where do you guys &

gals get all those home-made-perfume components?
    I mean, I live outside the US, so linking me to stores won't

help.. I want to know what kind of stores sell such products...
    How do I locate such stores at my

country? How should I start searching for them?

Phero Dude

My question exactly!
    I was about to

write the same post but you beat me too it, by a few months...
    So, anyone care to help? I really have no idea where

to shop for these ingredients and I'd rather buy quality then from the $1 shop down the road.
    early 40's white male or or

Quote Originally Posted by gaf View Post
    My question

exactly!
    I was about to write the same post but you beat me too it, by a few months...
    So, anyone care to help? I

really have no idea where to shop for these ingredients and I'd rather buy quality then from the $1 shop down the

road.
    DrSmellThis is the expert here and maybe he'll check in and give you some tips.

I've bought

natural ingredients for my own experiments from several places. Click on my Yahoo button and send me an email and

I'll reply with some links to vendors I have experience with.

Be warned, once you step into this arena you'll

get hooked and spend lots of money. Its also a lot of fun, but frustrating at times. I'm a big fan of new

learning curves, and this one is a challenge.

You're right, quality makes a huge difference, esp with perfume

ingredients.

Phero Dude

Thanks Greg,
    I've found some

suppliers in my region so seeing as I'll have some time on my hands next year I'll get to reading all the posts

in this thread for some mix tips. May take a while though... 17 pages!

Quote Originally Posted by gaf View Post
    Thanks

Greg,
    I've found some suppliers in my region so seeing as I'll have some time on my hands next year I'll get to

reading all the posts in this thread for some mix tips. May take a while though... 17 pages!
    Its a great

thread, and it got me hooked on natural scents. Have a great time!

Curious about the suppliers in your part of

the world. Care to share them? I'm always interested in new sources, esp for the exotic stuff.

Phero Dude

Its a great

thread, and it got me hooked on natural scents. Have a great time!

Curious about the suppliers in your part of

the world. Care to share them? I'm always interested in new sources, esp for the exotic

stuff.
    They're just traders on the local version of (but not) ebay. Looks like most of the stuff is

imported rather then processed here. Give me a while, once I've digested the thread contents I'll seriously start

looking into purchasing local products. ( I prefer to shop local) and will get back to you with some trustworthy

suppliers. Yep, even here you need to keep an open mind with internet businesses. Sad but true.

Why not cardamon? It could make

you smell like a turkish coffee without the coffee. I'm mildly joking, but if you go to some perfume sites there

are, probably partial, lists of the purported top, middle, bottom notes.

I was middle aged before I found a

perfume that blended with my chemistry perfectly. [Virtually all colognes make me feel ill when applied to my skin,

fair, redheaded.] My match EDT is listed as having cardamon. Or is it cardamom? Or are these the same? After a

couple of years, now it's time to shift. Of course it contained at least a dozen other scents I have written down

on a scrap of paper somewhere. . .

I got interested in pheros. I got married a year ago, so I'm not trying to

attract a mate. I'm not even looking for "an edge," as I have seen over and over, which is not that hard for

anyone to create without pheros.

I am simply interested in how pheros work, how they make me feel about myself,

and seeing if men and women simply notice anything differently than usual. It would be hard to tell even if it were

the pheros.

I'm turned off by deodorant, too much showering. There is definitely something to good hygiene

without compromising your best signature: your natural scent. Everyone has one. BTW I'm going to try the sandal

underarm treatment in place of deodorant. I do stink at the end of a teaching day.

Note: nervous sweat has a

different scent and chemical makeup than exertion or overheating sweat. So I've read. As for me, nervous sweat

grows the most bacteria the fastest; or maybe just different bacteria. Then, I often wonder if we aren't our own

worst armpit scent critics. My husband may think that his shirt after a day of work is unwearable for evening, when

I think it's just getting good!

I'm experimenting with EOW for the first time. The cheesy scent is exactly

what I'd expect from a pheromone. Let's just say, I was surprised to find that the EOW scent that many find

offensive is what MrChaiTea smells lightly like when he's been sleeping especially hot and sweating. Hairy, high

testosterone sexy bald guy.

I'm an alchemist measurer [political philosophy, not physics or chemistry, darn] in

cooking and now scent mixing.

I got a chemist's 10oz amber bottle and filled with distilled H2O. Started with

one dropper of EOW. Actually, I received the bottle on my birthday. . .50, thank you. . .and recklessly dabbed it

straight on my neck, sparingly. Covered with a good patchouli-vanilla compound EO, and Sandal on top of

that.

Badger has a body butter called vanilla cocoa. After an hour I smell like sweet, moist tobacco.

Interesting.

No real EOW field testing, but a nanosecond after MrChaiTea walked in the door he said, "you smell

good." He's never said that specifically before. Same night a woman said I looked beautiful. She actually said

beautiful. Me. That really cracks me up.

Okay, I have my serious face on now. I added a second dropper to the

10oz H2O, then a 3rd, then a 4th. Three days after receiving it, I now understand what I've read about the scent

turning smooth and cashmerey. [If there can be truthiness, there can be cashmerey.] I love the way I smell in EOW.

It has turned from cheesy to more complex with fruitiness at the first moment, as some have said before. Then it

settles and smoothes beautifully and I can't smell it on myself exactly, but something is different. I may try

diluting more instead of adding, for comparison.

I don't consider it genuinely tested yet. I'm waiting til I

go back to teaching and see how 19 year old male college students react to it. I'm not interested in the special

attention of 19 year old male college students except as just that. But if I expect to teach them, I have to get

their attention first.

I've browsed the threads and I notice that many posters expect pheros to do many things

that they cannot be expected to do. If a man wants to get laid, go read The Game, bed lots of women and learn to

dislike sex.

If you want to learn how to make more people fall in love with you personally, socially,

collegially, I suggest Robert Greene's Art of Seduction, keeping it to yourself, studying it, making your own

version of it, and get a big dose of confidence. Confidence is very sexy. That does not mean "women like jerks,"

as some say.

Without splitting this post let me finish with saying this about my experiences with EOs, and with

the academic, publish and perish anyway system:

I've been testing EOs for years. Not as intensely as some of

you. My rule of thumb is: find 1 or 2 EOs that you recognize the natural scent of. This will be impossible with

most scents. I'm from central Texas, which is Texas cedarwood and juniper scrub country. So, cedarwood EO is my

standard. If you want juniper, go stick your nose in a bottle of gin. If I test it and it smells like the real

thing, I trust the brand, generally. Patchouli and sandalwood are also good standards to test on the go at a

display because the fakes are so easy to catch.

Speaking of gin. Drinking alcohol is going to change the way you

smell. 'Nuff said.

I wouldn't order without a sample sniff first.

I'm a political theorist who has become

intensely interested in fringe quantum mechanics. Of course I know nothing about physics as a discipline. But I

talk to any physicist I can corner for a coffee, and find that questions of vibration and quanta go immediately to

the questions of my area, metaphysics, sex, community, order, harmony, and others. Mostly sex.

If what I am

seeing on the web is accurate, a few pretty interesting physicists with good heads are leaving academia in spirit

and in fact because peer review and the older authoritative legitimizing practices are failing the new age. Not the

old New Age. A genuine shift of some kind. It looks like there is a strand of this on this board. If I'm

following you.

I find the rejection of multi-dimensional worlds, or alternative healing, or new theories of

olfactory science to be stifling. We're supposed to be the people who can disagree without defensive siege

warfare.

Gratefully, I'm finding new groups and professional associations forming to get open-minded people

together. I admit I stop at selling hats and book bags at otherwise interesting online sites.

What else can I

say?

What can I say? You sound

interesting and I hope to see more from you. Welcome.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Phenomenal post Chai, and

welcome! It'll take a week or two for a proper response though, you covered a lot of ground.

Its intersting

that the "hard" sciences have not learned the cross-disciplinary approach that social sciences have engaged to their

advantage. Admittedly, the social sciences have gone to some extremes, but the chemists, biologists and physicists

have a lot to learn from each other considering the obvious interrelationships.

From what I've read the

Alternative Medicine crowd are an exception. However, on the cutting edge of research the stone wall seems as

impenetrable as an ego steeped in peer approval. I suppose it just feels better to be applauded than to be

challenged.

I think there are many EO scents which will be personal and memory-effective to people. DrSmellThis

has written here about it, and I think it has to with analog wiring to certain natural scents, as well as lifetime

exposure. I can't explain it, but many scents strike chords which seem strange but familiar.

Looking forward to

reading more of your posts,
    Greg

PS What was the scent that you found that matched your chemistry? What are

you replacing it with?
    Last edited by idesign; 01-05-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Its

intersting that the "hard" sciences have not learned the cross-disciplinary approach that social sciences have

engaged to their advantage. Admittedly, the social sciences have gone to some extremes, but the chemists,

biologists and physicists have a lot to learn from each other considering the obvious

interrelationships.
    A cross-disciplinary approach in the "hard" sciences requires expertise across

disciplines. The language of genetics and immunology is different than the language of neuroscience. Different

languages make it more difficult to tell a cohesive story. Social scientists tell comparatively short stories with

few details of cause and effect. "Results require further study" is a common caveat. A neuroscientific approach is

more likely to establish some facts, including those that are based on what geneticists and immunologists think are

biological facts about the more obvious interrelationships extending to hormones and

behavior.

From what I've read the Alternative Medicine crowd are an exception.

However, on the cutting edge of research the stone wall seems as impenetrable as an ego steeped in peer approval. I

suppose it just feels better to be applauded than to be challenged.
    The Alternative Medicine crowd

members must somehow learn that cutting edge research may not answer the questions they're asking. Otherwise they

wouldn't be looking for alternatives. Once you start looking at alternatives, you leave your peer group, and your

former peers continue to be part of a peer group that excludes you. We simply can't have peers with alternatives

that their peers haven't heard of; can we? Perhaps this is why alternatives among peers are typically unheard

of.

James V. Kohl

Initial by Boucheron.

I

just ordered a ridiculous amount of what is called Incense Oil in Sandal [sandalwood I assume] and compound

Patchouli-Vanilla. One vendor went out of stock after I ordered.

I found a second vendor, ordered even more.

. .for the 2012 apocalypse you know, I don't want to run out of smell-good stuff. . .and the first vendor emailed

me to let me know they'd restocked. So I'm ordering more. Soon I'll have a whole basement of sandalwood incense

oil. It'll be right next to the canned peas.

I also ordered 1 vial of a patchouli-sandalwood compound, but

it just isn't the same as the patchouli-vanilla over the sandal, with a little EOW all around. I want to eat

myself.

This is strange to me. Not the eating myself, but that these oils appeal to me so much.

Like I said, no scents complement my chemistry [probably too many Snickers bars]. And although I've always

liked a little sniff of patchouli, everything just became too strong on my skin. Overtook me. Siege stuff.

Waterboarding without the water.

Until I happened to buy these two vials, the Sandal and the P-V compound at

a local display. I got back in the car and say what I always say: "This is going to smell terrible in 5 minutes,

I'm going to have to stop at the closest fast food bathroom to wash my wrist raw before I gag, it'll be in this

shirt all day, and I wasted my money."

Know what? Didn't happen this time. Incense Oil, I started

thinking. How the heck could this be so different?

Of course they say, "Blends with all body chemistry

types. . ." and the little insert also says in bad English something like, "this product takes advantage of the new

science of copulins," which I read as "now that you've read the word 'copulin' in our insert, this product is

associated with it."

So, what's Incense Oil? Just a name? Or an extraction? Or heroin by mistake.

Errr... I'm more concerned about

this 2012 apocalypse you mention. Haven't heard about that one. Will affect my own inventory and retirement

plans.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Chai Tea View Post
    Of course

they say, "Blends with all body chemistry types. . ." and the little insert also says in bad English something like,

"this product takes advantage of the new science of copulins," which I read as "now that you've read the word

'copulin' in our insert, this product is associated with it."
    I'll try to integrate some research

into your focus on sandlewood, which I suspect smells good to you because of its association with the body chemistry

of others.

Li, W., Moallem, I., Paller, K. A., & Gottfried, J. A. (2007). Subliminal smells can guide social

preferences. Psychol Sci., 18(12), 1044-1049.
    ...social preferences are subject to influences from odors that

escape awareness, whereas the availability of conscious odor information may disrupt such

effects.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

As most Forum readers know, I'm not much help with making sense of the

research findings here. But you happened to hit on sandlewood, which is considered to be much like a good mixture of

masculine (i.e., androgenic) pheromones--only the sandlewood is associated with odor. So, if you take the findings

from the article cited, you could posit that your conscious association with the sandlewood odor might have--in the

past--disrupted the unconscious affect associated with pheromones from someone else (e.g., not your own pheromones).

For some reason, the unconscious affect of the sandlewood-pheromone connection may now be positively manifest.

Nonetheless, it might take years of psychoanalysis--or a few blood tests (hopefully with your established

baseline values) to determine what's changed. Even so, you might need a few brain scans under different odor

conditions to pinpoint where in your brain the response originated. Might be better to just enjoy your

stockpile.

James V. Kohl
    The Scent of Eros

Couldn't they just give me some

demerol and hold a feline over my head for 90 seconds while I hold my breath?

Findings: what can I say. .

.Here's a neat finding: "87% of people in this sample survey strongly agree that sex is pleasant; sampling error

+/- 12 points. . ." And people get grants and promotions to say stuff like that. I find that hilarious. Than

again, I have trouble matching my socks, so I can't exactly point the finger at anyone and call them out of

touch.

Thanks, jvkhol, for the distinction that makes a truly interesting difference in how I think about the

ol' olfactory factory. No kidding. The conscious and unconscious neural wiring [I only get the abstract stuff]

will keep me fascinated for months. I'll go to the article. Then I'll probably torture my students with

questions like the history of acceptable national standards of personal scent awareness. Then they'll probably ask

me to sponsor a student organization. . .

But if you could crib me on the details, I'd like that.

Couldn't

they just give me some demerol and hold a feline over my head for 90 seconds while I hold my

breath?
    Experimental procedures like that are typically not covered by insurance. However, if you

have enough cash, these services will be made available to you, and performed by somewhat qualified, albeit

unlicensed, personnel--somewhere.

Findings: what can I say. . .Here's a neat

finding: "87% of people in this sample survey strongly agree that sex is pleasant; sampling error +/- 12 points. .

." And people get grants and promotions to say stuff like that. I find that hilarious. Than again, I have trouble

matching my socks, so I can't exactly point the finger at anyone and call them out of touch.
    I can

indicate, and often have suggested, that people who find meaning in results like these lack sufficient biologically

based training, or a biological model that would add meaning to the sex for pleasure component of properly timed

animalistic reproductive sexual behavior. However, discussion typically then degrades to comments about my ego, with

no further consideration for biology.

Thanks, jvkhol, for the distinction that makes a

truly interesting difference in how I think about the ol' olfactory factory. No kidding. The conscious and

unconscious neural wiring [I only get the abstract stuff] will keep me fascinated for months. I'll go to the

article. Then I'll probably torture my students with questions like the history of acceptable national standards

of personal scent awareness. Then they'll probably ask me to sponsor a student organization. .

Torture is not allowed within the boundaries of the US. I'd suggest grilling your students,

instead, but someone might misinterpret my advice to be promoting cannibalism.

But if

you could crib me on the details, I'd like that.
    I put the biologically active chemicals in

a fragrance product and their activitity (at an unconscious level) has a positive affect on your behavior (by

effecting the hormones involved in behavioral change). You then respond positively to the fragrance even without the

biologically active chemicals.

Of course, now that you've read the article and been debriefed you may join

the ranks of people marketing products containing chemicals that they call pheromones, but which have not been

demonstrated to have any effect either on hormones or on behavior in any male or female animal of any species.

That's the darkside; I hope you don't cross over.

James V. Kohl
    author/creator: The Scent of Eros

Couldn't

they just give me some demerol and hold a feline over my head for 90 seconds while I hold my

breath?

Experimental procedures like that are typically not covered by insurance. However, if

you have enough cash, these services will be made available to you, and performed by somewhat qualified, albeit

unlicensed, personnel--somewhere.
    No way is this experimental. You mean you've never heard of a

cat scan??
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnjim View Post
    No way is this

experimental. You mean you've never heard of a cat scan??
    Of course I've heard

of the cat scan, which traditionally has been performed without anesthesia/pain killer, and often without holding

one's breath. Inclusion of the demerol and breathing control add new dimensions to the tradional procedure,

potentially making it more effective--but also more dangerous. For example, what if too much demerol is given

causing the patient to hold zee breath forever. Traditional "cat scans" can be performed at home; this updated

version should only be tried with the assistance of somewhat highly trained professionals, or hardly renowned

foremost authorities--when available.

JVK

Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl View Post
    Traditional

"cat scans" can be performed at home; this updated version should only be tried with the assistance of somewhat

highly trained professionals, or hardly renowned foremost authorities--when available.

JVK
    Jim, you

wouldn't part with a phone # for a buddy would you?

Jim, you

wouldn't part with a phone # for a buddy would you?
    Done:

Does anyone know why my private

message function is unavailable? Is this something that everyone is missing?

James Kohl
    The Scent of

Eros

Everybody's private messaging

has been unavailable for about a year.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

For the person who wanted a

source for oils, the best one for a good price is Liberty Natural Products, right here in Portland, Oregon. Google

it. You can do all business online, conveniently, or even by phone.

BTW, could we please try to stay on topic a

bit better? This thread is cumbersome enough as it is for those looking for recipes and EO info, and recent posts

are essentially all tangential. I wanted this to be a practical thread that might stand the test of time. Thanks in

advance.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Well said Doc, sorry. This

really is a great thread and I've read through it several times.

Another good source is Eden Botanicals.

Their prices may be a little higher, but their free samples that come with your order are enough usually to

experiment in a small blend. Lots of fun smelling them too. They also have a collection of interesting Ambers,

which my cleaning lady loves. She always asks me if she can put some on when she comes over.

An interesting

thing I read recently is that Jasmine grandiflorum has Indole (animalic) as a constituent, where Sambac does not

(Gunther Ohloff, Scent and Fragrances). I smelled them side by side and I did notice a difference, but unsure if I

could smell the Indole. It may come out more in a blend.

I gave my g/f a small blend of Pheros with a drop of

Sambac. When she runs out I'll try it with the other Jasmine.

Floral Oriental,

Soft spicy orange flower notes meld with piquant aldehydes and sweet spices to create the heart of a

floral oriental fragrance.

Born in the 1900s, Floral orientals came back to life again in the 1970s.

In the past decade, lively, fruity interpretations dominated the floraloriental category, But recent fragrances

have developed a more subtle muted personality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice description leisha.

What are your favorites, past and present?

Very nice

description leisha. What are your favorites, past and present?
    I have used some of my mothers in the past

like Red door and poison and also tender touch by burberry and also her JPG classique, and amoungst some of my

favourites is Paris Hilton by Paris.

Vanilla-heaven sent by dana is nice with my fav being Crystal Noir by

versace

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

An

interesting thing I read recently is that Jasmine grandiflorum has Indole (animalic) as a constituent, where Sambac

does not (Gunther Ohloff, Scent and Fragrances). I smelled them side by side and I did notice a difference, but

unsure if I could smell the Indole. It may come out more in a blend.

I gave my g/f a small blend of Pheros with

a drop of Sambac. When she runs out I'll try it with the other Jasmine.
    I believe both have indoles.

So

does rose and neroli, and other flowers.

The indole scent is stronger with the grandflorum. But that might well

be due, at least in part, to a less complex top note not standing in the way.

Nothing like the smell of fresh

poop!
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 717

Thread Information