Close

Phero Enthusiast

Default Regelson\'s \"Pheromones\" Book

visit-red-300x50PNG
    One thing I\'ve noticed since my workload and nightly reading has icnreased tenfold in law school is that I

really enjoy casual reading so I picked up a couple of pheromone books used from Amazon.com.

The first one

to come in is Bill Regelson\'s \"Pheromones.\" Release date is 2002.

I\'ll probably ready it over the

next week and share anything I find interesting. Has anyone else read the book? As someone without a strong science

background this book seems very accessible almost to the point of being too dumbed down.

I\'ll go into

more detail once I finish the book.

take care,
    JDM

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Regelson\'s \"Pheromones\" Book

Well that didn\'t take long. About 180 pages of reading. I skipped around a bit sticking to things I

was more interested in. (once again, I have little/no background in science so this is coming from just an average

reader and I may miss things.)

Some things I found interesting:

->Regelson loves DHEA.

->He mentions

-rone and -nol often. I don\'t know if I ever came across a reference to -none which was somewhat confusing.

->In discussing -nol he briefly mentioned a study where women were more likely to hang around a waiting room

when there was -nol on the chairs. He links -nol directly to stimulating interest in the opposite sex.

->He

discusses a 1978 study by Kirk-Smith which studied the effects of -nol and copulins found in the primate vagina.

They placed the pheromones on some surgical masks to study the effects of sexual odors on evaluation of human

candidates being interviewed for a job. Females wore the surgical masks in assessing the male candidates for the

job. The study found that =nol enhanced favorable ratings while copulins had the exact opposite effect (interesting

for those of us who occasionally use copulins and theorized that they would produce similar results in women as

men.)

->He discusses three main pheromone manufacturer\'s (Cutler, REALM and his own company EuroScent -

which I never heard of until reading his book.) Seeing as this book was published in 2002, this seems like some

shoddy research. I don\'t even know if any of them still exist. By 2002 I had purchased items from stone labs and

a handful of other manufacturer\'s, not to mention JVK\'s SOE was on the market by then. This book was likely a

marketing tool for his product.

->His Euroscent supposedly should be applied right under the nose and then

your body (same for both men and women) should respond to the pheromone (I believe it is just -rone) and produce

more of your own phero signature. I never really thought of pheromones in that way and it is an interesting approach

as opposed to dumping a bunch of synthetic \'mones on us. I don\'t know if it works or not though. It

couldn\'t have been too popular if someone who follows this stuff like myself never heard of the

company.

->Lots of monkey talk. I skipped through most of it in my initial reading. I don\'t think anyone

disputes that pheromones play an important role in the mating process of many animals. I really wish he would have

focused more on human relationships.

->He states the reason Monica kept the semen-stained blue dress was that

she could re-live the sexual encounter with Clinton over-and-over again. That\'s kinda [censored] up.

->I

found his discussions of \"anti-pheromones\" to be interesting. I don\'t know if such a thing could ever exist,

but can you imagine a woman being sexually assaulted and grabbing a bottle of something out of her purse spraying

the main in the nose with it and watching as he lost all sexual desire.

Overall it is an OK book, if somewhat

disappointing. This forum could easily give you 10 times the information contained in the book. There is some decent

science and lots of sociological background info, but as far as discussion of pheromone use by humans and its uses

the book is somewhat barren. The focus is all over the place and I don\'t know necessarily what he set out to

prove by writing it. Perhaps I\'m a prejudiced reader because I already have \"bought into the system.\"

I

have JVK\'s SOE coming as well as Love Scents which came out in 2000.

take care,
    JDM

Default Re: Regelson\'s \"Pheromones\" Book

I

met Bill Regelson at a Anti Aging Medicine conference in Las Vegas, December 1994. He had just sent his book to a

potential publisher; mine was available soon after. When he found out I got my book out before he would, he

postponed publication. Though genuinely dissapointed, he said he knew that I was very close to doing something,

which is why he avoided correspondence with me about DHEA in 1994. Subsequently, his publisher: John Morgenthaller,

appears to have edited Bill\'s book. Morgenthaller and I had discussed his publication of my book, prior to me

signing with Continuum. Though Morgethaller appears to have updated some of Regelson\'s work, it still lacks info

on many studies whose results were reported from 1995-2000.

Michelle Kodis et al, plagarized The Scent of

Eros--nearly 38 complete pages of Love Scents are presented with little variation from the text of The Scent of

Eros. I made this known to her publisher, and after a cursory response was stonewalled when I cited the example of

the Nigerian practice regarding menstrual secretions. The publisher said similarities were due to similar reference

sources; the story about the Nigerian practice could not have come from any other source--since it was one of my

co-author\'s students who brought it to his attention, thus it was presented in my book. Erox corp. hired Kodis,

that\'s why the book reads like an advertisement for Realm. (anyone who wants the page by page comparison to The

Scent of Eros is welcome to ask here, and I will send it via a private message). Simply put, I\'d love for others

to see the evidence for themselves.

Jacobsen\'s Organ, by Lyall Watson is good, but its focus on the VNO is

not. The human VNO is not required for our response to pheromones--an entire book about something not required seems

counterintuitive, if not totally misleading.

Piet Vroon\'s, Smell the Secret Seducer is not bad, but not real

good either.

What should surprise many others besides me is the complete failure of any of these authors to even

mention The Scent of Eros (1995). It was obviously available to them, did they just not know of it? That would be

odd, since it has been cited in many other books since 1995.

Enough ranting; there were plenty of reasons to

update The Scent of Eros for 2002 publication. Most of all though, I wanted to ensure that future authors of books

about human pheromones could not miss it.

I\'m currently reviewing (for Human Nature Reviews) another book

whose author did seem to miss The Scent of Eros. Could be legit in his case. Tristram Wyatt\'s Pheromones and

Animal Communication (2003) is a $100 textbook. No mention of anything I\'ve done, including my award winning NEL

review Human Pheromones: linking neuroendocrinology and ethology. Again, this seems odd, since nearly any search for

human pheromones turns it/me up. To his credit, however, Wyatt provides more background on animal communication than

anyone I\'ve read. Cross-species comparisons are rampant, which is not always considered appropriate, but this guy

obviously worked at putting the book together (as opposed to those like Kodis, who simply plagarized my material).

Hope some readers will provide reviews for Forum members of any books written about pheromones, especially human

pheromones. I look forward to reading more about this from others who are not biased (obviously, I am).

Thread Information