Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Man of La Pancha

Default Re: Go Marlins!

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I wasn\'t joking, I

really did see it in the \"trivia\" section in the top corner of the menu screen on Triple Play \'98. One day,

I\'ll have to go find it and see if it actually had the man\'s name. Again, I have NO idea about it besides the

whole one-arm intentional walk situation (I think it said 1904 or 24 or something like that, but I can\'t

remember), but maybe it was another league. Oh, well.

Default Re: Go Marlins!

could it be Pete

Gray?

---
    The one armed baseball player was Pete Gray. At the age of six, he fell off a farmer\'s wagon, got

his right arm caught in the spokes, and had to have it amputated. Originally a righty, he was able to teach himself

to bat from the left side of the plate, and even learned how to field with only one arm. He wore his glove on his

fingertips, and when he caught a ball, he moved the glove to his left armpit, took the ball out with his right hand,

and threw it back to the infield in one motion. He was also an excellent hitter, who combined speed, a good eye, and

a quick bat to get on base.

He first started playing semi-pro ball in the late thirties, but no professional team

would give a tryout to a one-armed player. However, after being named the Southern Association\'s MVP in 1944, and

due to the shortage of players during World War II, he was able to make it with the St. Louis Browns in 1945, his

only professional year. In 77 games, he finished with a .218 batting average, 26 runs scored and 13 RBI.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

Thread Information