Close

Default Colognes as a cover

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Since the use of a

cover scent is so widely utilized in conjunction with the application of pheromones, I wanted to post my recent

experiences with several colognes/edts. (I initially got purchased pheromones in an effort to shut my wife\'s

nagging pie-hole, and was pleasantly surprised that they actually worked. Now I\'m completely digging the whole

\'mone concept, and getting into compatible cover scents as well.)

I have recently purchased the following

colognes to use with my pheromones:

Aqua di Gio - Armani
    Platinum Egoiste - Chanel
    Allure - Chanel
    Truth -

Calvin Klein
    Calvin - Calvin Klein
    Higher Energy - Christian Dior
    Fahrenheit - Christian Dior
    Black –

Kenneth Cole

The two Chanel edts worked extremely well with the pheromones, both as a cover and as a mixer. Both

are extremely long lasting and didn\'t have their basic scent changed by the pheromones, even in a strong cologne

to pheromone ratio such as 4:1 with NPA.

Calvin also covered the pheromone scent extremely well without much

change to its original scent, even in a heavier ratio with the strong smelling NPA, and I was able to maintain most

of its original qualities and integrity in a pretty heavy 3:1 mix.

Cole\'s Black did best in a 4:1 ratio, and,

like the Chanel colognes, did extremely well in maintain a very long scent. Maybe even a bit better/longer than the

Chanels.

Higher Energy worked better than I initially expected with the pheromones, but didn\'t have the

time/length of covering as the previous colognes did with the stronger NPA. I had to go with a 7:1 cologne to NPA

ratio in order to preserve the original qualities of the cologne. However, it did quite well as a cover for the

lighter The Edge, Andro 4.2, and Attraction.

Aqua di Gio was a bit disappointing with the heavier -none \'mones

such as NPA. Its initial scent was noticeably modified by the addition of the NPA, even in a 6:1 mix. (I kinda

regret not going with Ralph Lauren\'s Romance as it is very similar to the Aqua in scent, but it\'s a little

more simplistic and a touch heavier, which might have worked a bit better with the heavier -none \'mones such as

NPA.)

Calvin Klein\'s Truth is a bit too light to use with anything other than as a cover to the more -nol

based \'mones such as Attraction.

I still haven\'t been able to get a handle on Dior\'s Fahrenheit as the

initial scent just doesn\'t work for me at all, but yet the dry down is okay. In my estimation, the addition of a

-none heavy \'mone actually helped improve the overall scent of this cologne - at least to me. A 5:1 mix seemed

to work out the best here.

I would be interested in reading about other\'s experiences in working with cover

scents, and I\'d love to read some recommendations on some good winter colognes - both day and evening types.

Banned User

Default Re: Colognes as a cover

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    (I initially got purchased pheromones in an effort

to shut my wife\'s nagging pie-hole, and was pleasantly surprised that they actually worked.

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

LOL.... Pheromones, the thing to get when you want to shut up a nagging

spouse. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That\'s a hell of a cologne collection, you have there.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Brian

Nice

post!

Have you tried any other cover fragrances yet? I\'m still a big fan of Hugo Boss.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Nice post!

Have you tried any other cover

fragrances yet? I\'m still a big fan of Hugo Boss.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Over the

course of about two months, I tried a number of colognes before eventually ending up with the ones that I did. I

sorted the potential cologne choices into \"seasonsal\" categories (i.e. - Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter). I

subcategorized the four seasons into a \"casual\" (office, weekend days) and \"evening\" (formal, dates, sexy

snuggling, etc.). I narrowed down my choices to three contenders in each category.

Spring - Casual

While some

people treat this as the lightest of colognes, I felt that the winner had to be light, but not too light as the

spring involves sometimes colder/blustery weather which requires a little heavy clothing and accompanying moods. I

also wanted a slight \"woodsy\" scent for this cologne (for obvious reasons). The contenders were:

BLV -

Bulgari
    Higher Energy - Christian Dior
    Polo Blue - Ralph Lauren

Winner: Higher Energy - Christian Dior

No

contest. After I put on the Higher Energy, it was all over but handing the salesperson my cash. Fits my ideal of

what a modern cologne should smell like. Masculine, but clean. It just has a terrific presence and synergy with my

body chemistry. It\'s a little light for heavy -none mixes although, were both the \"Blues\" would have been

probably a better cover with the \'mones. This was one were I went more for cologne scent consideration rather

than it\'s synergy with the pheromones.

Spring - Evening

I wanted something medium in body, refined, but a

touch \"sexy/dangerous.\"

Boss - Hugo Boss
    Desire - Dunhill
    Allure Homme - Chanel

Winner: Allure Homme -

Chanel

Velvety, refined and sexy. Allure is a really nice cologne. Just so many things going on with it and

they work so smoothly together. Works extremely well with the \'mones and the scent lasts a long time. Boss was

somewhat similar to Allure in scent, but it just didn\'t go the extra mile in terms of detail and composition.

Desire was very good. Explosive, but masculine.

Summer - Casual

I was looking for something that I

could use on a daily basis as a casual, lighter scent. The three finalists in this category were the

following:

Truth - Calvin Klein
    212 - Carolina Herrera
    Happy For Men - Clinique

Winner: Truth - Calvin

Klein

This was the toughest cologne to buy as I wasn\'t familiar with the newer \"grassier\" scents that are

becoming more predominant on the market. Personally, I probably preferred the Happy as it is a bright citrus scent

that worked well with my personality and body. However, I pushed it away in favor of the newer scents in an effort

to be as hip as possible. Both 212 and Truth were similar in smell, and the Truth was noticeable more simplistic in

it\'s notes than 212. My brain was telling my to pick the 212 as it seemed to be more layered and better

crafted, but Truth just had a certain unexplainable characteristic that had my emotions saying \"this just seems to

work right on the nose/body.\" All are quite light and will have trouble keeping the -none scent covered (although

I feel that the citrus notes in Happy would do a better job than the grassy/petroleum notes in 212 and

Truth).

Summer - Evening

I was looking for a medium-light and refined scent for summer evening wear.

These were the three I ended up with:

Dolce &amp; Gabban Pour Homme - D&amp;G
    Platinum Egoiste -

Chanel
    Eternity - Calvin Klein

Winner: Platinum Egoiste - Chanel

This was perhaps the toughest decision out

of any of the categories. All of the colognes were exceptional, and I probably couldn\'t have gone wrong with any

of them. The Platinum Egoiste was simply the most complex and detailed of the three, and all of those complex notes

worked just absolutely perfect together. It just smelled like it was extremely well researched and crafted. Very

refined. It also covers even very heavy -none \'mone scents that you\'ll find with PI and NPA quite easily, and

it\'s fragrance holds up for a long time. No worries about the \'mone smell sneaking through until the next

morning. The D&amp;G had a very sexy smell, but it was just a tad too sweet and not as complex nor as complete as

the PE. Eternity is one of those scents that will probably be around forever. The main problem with it is that

nearly everybody whose ever worn cologne probably has a bottle of it in their collection. Great smell though,

although much more simplistic than the D&amp;G and Chanel, and a bit sweeter than each of those.

Fall -

Casual

Romance - Ralph Lauren
    Aqua di Gio - Armani
    L\'Eau D\'Issey Pour Homme - Miyake

Winner: Aqua di

Gio - Armani

These could work equally well for Spring, Summer or Fall as casual scents, but the slight sea smell

in these colognes just relates to fall for me personally. If I had to do it over again, I probably would go with

the Romance. It\'s not as smooth or complex as the Gio, but it is a bit heavier, and I think that it would work

better as a mixer/cover for use with pheromones. Both Gio and Romance are very similar in their overall scent.

Issey was the lightest of the trio, but also the most refined. If I were not using pheromones in conjunction with

the cologne, I probably would have chosen the Issey.

Fall - Evening

Fahrenheit - Christian Dior
    Le Male -

Jean Paul Gaultier
    Pi - Givenchy

Winner: Fahrenheit - Christian Dior

I\'m not really sold on my choice in

this category. Fahrenheit is a very unique scent that hits a lot of people differently. To me, I get a lot of

peppery notes with a woodsy undertone. Heavy, but not too heavy. Le Male came across as a little bit \"faggy\"

for me in that it was just a bit too floral and powdery on my skin. Very nice, but just not \"me.\" Pi was

probably more me than either of these, but, like my choice of Truth in Spring casual, I wanted something a bit

different, and Fahrenheit certainly fit the bill. As well, I felt that the overall scent of the Dior cologne

actually improved with the addition of a heavy none additive such as NPA in a 5:1 mix ratio. Seemed to mellow out

the pepper notes just a bit, and gave it a sultry/sexy overtone.

Winter - Casual

I wanted something strong

and masculine on the bottom, but also fun and \"zippy\" on the top. These were what I came up with:

Calvin -

Calvin Klein
    Mambo for Men - Liz Clairborne
    Givenchy Pour Homme - Givenchy

Winner: Calvin - Calvin Klein

I

was pleasantly surprised to see Calvin back in rotation, as it was my personal favorite back in the mid to late

80\'s. As such, I probably had a bias towards the scent, but still felt that it provided exactly what I was

looking for in this category. Masculine, with good complexity. It also works extremely well with \'mones, as it

does not lose it\'s scent, even in a heavy mix. Mambo was similar to the basenotes of the Calvin, but not as

rich, and Givenchy was similar on top, but not as potent on the bottom. Both seemed a touch more simplistic than

the Calvin.

Winter - Evening

I wanted something strong, complex, long lasting and refined.

M7 - Yves

Saint Laurent
    Black - Kenneth Cole
    Angel A-men - Thierry Mugler

Winner: Black - Kenneth Cole

All three were

completely different in presentation (and I meant was completely different, but equally interesting and nice). M7

was like somebody bottled up an English gentlemens club. Angel smelt like a cup of Irish Coffee. Black was complex

and inviting. M7 had just a bit too much tobacco notes to be something that I\'d wear consistently. Angel might

have been just a little too different from what I felt was \"me\" scentwise, and as I pushed my personal envelope

with Fahrenheit, I decided to stay close to home scent wise and went with Black, and I\'m very happy with the

choice. The scent lasts forever (still noticeable the afternoon of the next day), and has just a touch of citrus on

the top end. It reminded me of a very refined and much smoother version of Calvin. Works exceptionally well in

covering heavy mixes of -none such as NPA (3:1). Much, much better than the mediocre first effort from Kenneth

Cole.

Phero Dude

Best post I\'ve

seen here on cover scents. Outstanding and very informative. I\'ve been experimenting a lot with cover scents

lately and will take a look at some of the colognes that you tested. Thanks.

Just as an

update, I recently purchased Paloma Picasso\'s Minotaure, which, in addition to being very sexy, works extremely

well with the pheromones.

In fact, after my little \"cologne as a cover\" personal study, I feel that the

colognes that fall into the \"oriental\" catagory (this includes the \"gourmand\" type colognes as well) do an

exemplary job of working synergistically with the pheromones. The orientals tend to be sweeter, which helps take

the edge off the acrid and pungent -none heavy pheromones, and they also tend to be the \"sexiest\" or

\"romantic\" colognes (taken as a whole).

Thread Information