Close

Default Review: The Scent of Eros by JVK

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I don\'t recall posting the following link to a recent review of my book. The review is not entirely positive, but it is an excellent review, and might help others to decide whether or not the book is of interest to them.

http://human-nature.com/nibbs/03/kohl.pdf

Love-scent.com has signed copies of the book for sale; it is also available from other standard outlets like Amazon.com and Barnes and Nobel. Other information about human pheromones can be found at my website.

Journeyman

Default Re: Review: The Scent of Eros by JVK

it says in the review of your book that you explain that pheromones cause an LH release. Does that mean that those in a \"DIHL\" as it has come to be known on this forum are feeling a sort of chemical rush through their body?

what does an LH release feel like or is it not consiously realized?

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    it says in the review of your book that you explain that pheromones cause an LH release. Does that mean that those in a \"DIHL\" as it has come to be known on this forum are feeling a sort of chemical rush through their body?

what does an LH release feel like or is it not consiously realized?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

There has been a lot of discussion about the nature of a DIHL, but nothing conclusive resolved.

Phero Enthusiast

I resently brought \"The Book\" from Bruce. Althou my mother language is not English, this was a very nice reading. Just right much explanations and conclusions, this book skriven in easy and understandeble language.

/Bubu

I can only predict that the DIHL is due to pheromonal activation of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) nerve cells, which first act as neurotransmitters for an immediate reaction, then go on to induce an increase in levels of luteinizing hormone in the opposite sex (which conditions our response to visual and other sensory input).

This follows the mammalian model, but much remains to be proved in human studies. No one could consciously know whether they were in the midst of increased LH release, but since Preti and Wysocki have shown that male axillary secretions influence LH and _mood_ in women, it\'s fairly safe to predict that this is done via the activation of GnRH neurons and the subsequent increase in LH.

Thanks for your comments. It\'s nice to know that the book is readable even for some who don\'t speak English as their native tongue. Co-author Francouer gets a lot of credit for making understandable the neuroscientific approach I have used. He\'s a college professor in New Jersey and has a great background in teaching by getting rid of the \"jargon\" and just presenting the facts in a way most people can understand.

Enlightened One

I found the book informative.

Journeyman

jkohl -- have you ever heard of a study that indicated when males see an attractive woman, it activates the area of the brain that is active when we are hungry and when we are high (I believe it was on drugs, but maybe on life too).

When I heard this I began to understand why physical attraction felt so powerful, and why could feel it through my entire body. The feeling of both hunger and being high described it perfectly.

Although you say someone cannot be consiously aware of an LH release, does an LH release activate any brain activity related to emotion? I ask this because I wonder if someone reacting strongly to pheromones gets a feeling that runs through their body, or some sort of emotional response other than momentary confusion and evaluation.

I had some time finding this link but here it is
    Link to hunger/high study

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    \"jkohl -- have you ever heard of a study that indicated when males see an attractive woman, it activates the area of the brain that is active when we are hungry and when we are high (I believe it was on drugs, but maybe on life too).\"

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Yes, they don\'t specify the area but it must be the hypothalamus (part of the limbic system: which is the emotional core of our brain). Pheromones activate nerve cells in the hypothalamus and are thereby able to influence many behaviors, not just reproductive sexual behaviors. The nerve cells secrete a hormone that increases LH and testosterone, but feedback systems on these gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH)nerve cells are the same systems shown to influence a variety of behaviors. Not surprising since the GnRH neuronal system controls so much of our physiology. The biggest problem with visual models of human physical attraction is that there is no direct connection between what we see and a hormone response (like GnRH, LH etc.) Pheromones, on the other hand, activate genes in GnRH neurons and provide the only known link between the social environment (other people, i.e., nurture) and the genetic underpinnings (nature) of behavior. Ask anyone who thinks that visual input is of primary importance to physical attraction, how visual input became so important, and why only in humans. We\'re mammals and the sense of smell and pheromones are most important to the development of mammalian sexual behavior.

Enlightened One

As always JVK you have the idea and are a very useful source _+ youre product is one of the better on the market.

Thread Information