Close

Default Designer Pheromones, Take 2

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Let\'s try this again. Forget I mentioned WAGG in this context. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What I\'m really wondering is whether anyone is actively designing purely synthetic compounds intended to act as pheromones.

HB_88

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Designer Pheromones, Take 2

Is that even possible? Aren\'t pheromones hydrocarbons or something that makes them so they can\'t be fake. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Is that even possible? Aren\'t pheromones hydrocarbons or something that makes them so they can\'t be fake. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Dont know quite what your talking about...but anyway.

I\'m sure it\'s possible, but i dont have any info on it.

Let\'s try this again. Forget I mentioned WAGG in this context. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What I\'m really wondering is whether anyone is actively designing purely synthetic compounds intended to act as pheromones.

HB_88

I think i understand what your asking: your wandering if any1s designd a totally new molecule not naturally produced by the body, to act as a pheromone????
    If they have, I havent hurd of it yet, but I guess the ideas plausable

Yep, that\'s basically what I\'m asking. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

HB_88

Phero Enthusiast

What I mean by hyrdocarbons is not necessarily hydrocarbons, but something like that. Oil is a hydrocarbon, hydrocarbons cannot be artificially made. That is what I am thinking mones are, some kind of carbon based chemical that cannot be artificially made. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Enthusiast

I think you guys a need an organic chemist to help sort things out:

Ok, lets deal with synthetic and organic compouds. If you extract a compound, lets say rone, and call it a pheromone, it is a pheromone. If you take simple hydrocarbon precursurs and use grinards (a synethic method) to make androsterone, as long as it has all its protons in the right place it will do EVERYTHING the organicly made compounds does. If you put a molecule of synthetic ron and organic rone next to eachother, nobody can tell the difference.

Now, about designer mones. Some compounds are made, in a lab. People just intuitively modify androstanes to see if they are active in the VNO or nasal area. Once something active has been discovered, there is amlost no doubt that it is natually occuring in the body. The only way a coumpound would have an effect is because it is natually produced in the oposite effect. The most fruitful way to research pheromones would be to anaylze sweat, not just guess.

Phero Enthusiast

But that is the thing, hydrocarbons are impossible to artificially make, that is why we still drill oil, rather than make it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Journeyman

But that is the thing, hydrocarbons are impossible to artificially make, that is why we still drill oil, rather than make it.

Impossible, or too expensive? Besides, what would you consider synthetic motor oil? Look on google, there\'s plenty of info on sythetic hydrocarbons.

Phero Enthusiast

But that is the thing, hydrocarbons are impossible to artificially make, that is why we still drill oil, rather than make it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No, thats incorrect. Thanks to supernova\'s we have tons of carbon atoms. They are everywhere.

We drill for oil becuase octane is too big a molecule-its too ineficient to piece together small molecules becuase you need massive amounts of octane.

Thread Information