Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Profile

Banned User

Default Re: Newbies please fill in the data in your profile

visit-red-300x50PNG
    </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Does it taste better in the States?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Yes much better. There are a lot of foods in Europe that have a much better taste, but McDonalds hamburgers isn\'t one of them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brian

Phero Enthusiast

Does it taste better in the States?

Yes much better. There are a lot of foods in Europe that have a much better taste,

Ok, you just proved my point [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It\'s not all about processing (what\'s just a technical thing that doesn\'t apply anymore) it\'s about marketing! And guess what marketing is all about? EXACTLY!!!

You\'re in IT right? I thought so [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Phero Enthusiast

In the US, we eat a lot of sweet stuff, like donuts, cinnamon rolls, and sweet cereals. Perhaps that\'s what you meant?

Nope. The old plain bread, you know the stuff that\'s sliced to use with sandwiches? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I can tell you, the bread here, is no sweeter than the bread there. I have question for you, have you tried american bread? I\'m not talking about the bread that you can buy in american stores in Europe.

Yes I have. And in IMHO most stuff - not just bread - tastes a lot sweeter than European. Are you familiar with the phrase \"transient desensitization\"? I\'d stop eating junk food (now how did they come up with that phrase [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) and learn to taste with some finesse (subtlety).

Better than in the UK.

(ed: Mcdonalds is better in the US...)

Banned User

I wonder what you mean with \"european bread\". I know the bread in Germany is a lot better than the crap I used to eat in Holland.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OK, I\'ve been trying to stay out of this whole debate, but I gotta chime in here. Sorry to extend this whole bread tangent, but I feel the need to clear something up.

The primary flavor of any bread comes from the yeast culture used. Bread bakers guard and protect their \"mother\", started or sponge (whatever term you prefer) w/ great diligence and care. The flavor comes primarily from indigenous yeasts. I have worked w/ a few bakers and they will all thell you that if you move to a new location, the flavor of your bread will change as it picks up new yeasts from the surronding environment. I worked w/ a German baker for a while and he made the most amazing rye bread. The mother has been in his family for almost 300 years. The most complexly flavored bread I\'ve ever had the good fortune to taste. He said that when he moved to the US, the flavor of his bread changed dramatically. Luckily for him, it turned out to be a good thing.

The influence of indigenous yeast on flavor applies to any type of fermentation. The same is true w/ wine, for example. By using very stable and reliable commercial yeasts under very controlled conditions, you can mass produce a carbon-copy type of product. The more you allow the introduction of indigenous yeasts, the more variability and individuality you\'ll experience in different products.

The perception of sweetness from one type of bread (or food in general, I suppose) to another is likely more due to personal experience. I think that I would have to agree that there is a general tendency toward sweet taste preferences in the US vs. Europe. Of course that takes us back to the subject of primacy. Is American food generally sweeter because that\'s what we prefer or do we prefer things to be swetter because we have been exposed to things that are processed that way? I dunno. I do beleive that personal taste preference is personal taste preference...enough said.

OK...I think I\'m done. Thanks for indulging me.

\"I think that I would have to agree that there is a general tendency toward sweet taste preferences in the US vs. Europe.\"

I tend to agree. The baklava I have had here is almost tastelessly sweet compared to the baklava I have had in Greece, that exhibited the honey/nut flavors.

Phero Enthusiast

I wonder what you mean with \"european bread\". I know the bread in Germany is a lot better than the crap I used to eat in Holland.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I second that! Alson within European countries the quality differs (sometimes extremely) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Enthusiast

Good post Sagacious. You\'re a true connoisseur.
    Thanks.

Good post Sagacious. You\'re a true connoisseur.
    Thanks.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Kind words...but, truth be told, I\'m just a very lucky kitchen rat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

It\'s a very humbling experience to work w/ some of the world\'s greatest chefs. Genius takes many forms in this world...and I\'ve been blessed w/ countless encounters w/ a very true and unique type of giftedness. You\'d understand just exactly what I mean when you have the chance to cook side-by-side w/ a man who changed the whole face of the culinary world. Seriously! There would be no contemporary cuisine (as we know it) w/out the influence of Paul Bocuse...a true visionary and humble man (in a cocky, French sorta way...and I mean that in a good way)...and a true mentor. Merci!

Om Tat Sat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information