Close

Thread: Red eyes

Stranger

Default Red eyes

visit-red-300x50PNG
    An off-topic question, but I value the collective expertise of posters to this board enough to give it a shot...

Anyone else out there suffer from red eyes? If so, have you found a way to deal with it? In my case, I\'m pretty sure that the cause is simply a stressful life - too many late nights, too much time reading or looking at a computer screen, etc. The few times I\'ve been able to take an extended vacation and get away from computers / work I\'ve found myself gradually waking up each morning with clearer and clearer eyes until it was no longer a problem, even with contact lenses.

I just accepted this as a part of life until recently, when I started using eye-drops made by Rohto, a Japanese company, which are available in pharmacies such as CVS. These work wonders to clear up my eyes (amazing effects within 2-3 mins), but the effect is generally temporary - after a couple of hours, I\'m usually back to being pretty blood-shot again.

Has anyone else out there found more consistent solutions to this problem? It strikes me that there may be nutritional supplements which could help, or perhaps lifestyle changes would have more of an impact.

By the way, to justify posting this general health question on a board devoted to the \'science of attraction\'; I think that weary-looking eyes are the main thing standing between me and an attractive appearance. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Default Re: Red eyes

In an ergonomics class I took a few years ago they brought up the subject of eye problems from staring at the computer screen too much. According to the instructor, when we are looking at the computer screen we don\'t blink as much. This causes the surface of the eye to dry out and results in redness. Their advice was to make an effort to blink more often and also to get away from the screen for a few minutes every hour.

It seemed to help me.

\"...when I started using eye-drops made by Rohto, a Japanese company...\"

Stay away from this type of eye drops. When you use them for an extended period, your eyes become \"addicted\" to them and will always be red unless you use the drops. Try substituting saline (salt water) drops instead.

Stranger

Hey Mtnjim - that\'s a good point. I figure those Japanese drops have to be doing something dramatic (causing capillaries in your eyes to contract or something like that) to be so effective, so it stands to reason that eventually you could come to depend on them. Are there any saline drops that you\'ve found effective? I\'ve generally found the kind sold as \'rewetting solutions\' for contact lenses to be pretty useless.

Belgareth - thanks for the tip about blinking more often. I wonder if this is really something you can bring under conscious control, though...

I had the same problem not so long ago. I went to the doc and he gave me a shot for allergies and some spray. It never went away. I was putting some eye drops 3x daily and never helped only made it more red. It was at its peak in the morning and late at night, its really annoying too.

I finally went to an eye doc and he said I was fine. Told me to use: Refresh Tears by ALLERGAN its like 10$ and over the counter. He mention that this one is better because it did not contain some chemical (forgot which one) that the other eye drops did. Anyhow, after using these drops I am fine. I am back to normal now. And you can put 1-2 drops as many times as you\'ll like throughout the day, unlike the other ones.

maybe that helped. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

remember: Refresh Tears by ALLERGAN give em a try.

Thread Information