Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: There you go again...

visit-red-300x50PNG
    It is not common for others to reference what they write on this Forum; it\'s far too time-consuming. I have referenced sufficiently in peer-reviewed journal articles, and in my book. You know the information is there. Why indicate that this is story telling? It is a well-accepted model that crosses many biologically based disciplines. There are no other plausible biologically based theories to test against. There has never been a non-olfactory biologically based explanation of how visual attraction develops differently in mammalian males and females. Others need only look at my website for additional information and any scientific evidence that might be required--all the links are there.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Darkness, that is a good example of just saying something is so without providing or referencing evidence. It is telling one story about the way things could have happened. It is a theory; an educated guess. It has not been tested against other plausible theories.

Of course, I\'m familiar. That is what I was calling into question in the first place.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Misc points are all I have time for at this moment:

*I\'m not interested in a strictly biological reduction of psychology (trying to cram the human mind in to a comfortable place they already \"know\"), but in a psychological psychology, that incorporates biology (and other disciplines) in a big-picture context. Trying to reduce all psychology to simplistic (e.g., simple hormonal paths) biology is silly, especially when one who tries to do so doesn\'t care to understand psychology in the first place. Most of being human and the psyche is about consciousness first and foremost -- arguably all of it. It is superficial and silly to say there is no cognitive mediation (no thinking, no meaning-formation and no processing)or that you don\'t care about it. Ok, then you won\'t know much about humans. Ignorance is free and everywhere found. Cognition is what the brain does. It is meaningless to say these are not important for your biology, because you constantly pretend to talk about psychology. Cognition is also not important for studying rocks, but we are studying people. If you want to talk only about biology, then make statements only about certain biochemical reactions, and simple physiological process, but don\'t pretend to be able to make sense when you are talking about whole people. You don\'t.

*You think my theory is not a theory because you don\'t know what a scientific theory is, nor what psychology is. Just because something isn\'t a biology theory just like the ones you know doesn\'t mean it isn\'t a plausible, well constructed theory. Mystical???! Narrative is quite often accepted as the best and most practical everyday model for the human mind from a big-picture standpoint; and has also proven to be the most useful model for counselors to help people in our current funding-restricted mental health environment, as it enables quick progress. Narrative can (and does)incorporate biology, but superficial biology cannot incorporate narrative, or the human mind. I have a \"peer-reviewed\" published series of studies I conducted which support the validity of narrative. There are many other such studies. Now, I don\'t mean to insult biologists, as there are many who do take a bigger approach. I don\'t even think you can speak for biologists, since you are not one.

*No funding for null-hypotheses?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Most funded studies employ null hypotheses! Arguably, all good scientific research tests null hypotheses (although I think that too, is a bit extreme). Again -- you suffer from holes in general knowledge of scientific research.

*You probably would think the psychologists at your conference had nothing to say, as you seem to think no one in any discipline but your own (which I\'m not even sure what that discipline is) has anything to say.

*I read your award winning article (which is a lit review), and also saw no evidence there (or research reviewed) for the extremist position you take. For instance, the one you linked above only show that one scent can be conditioned to another. That is irrelevant to arguing about visual anything.

*Thanks for the very recent link above -- it is one of few new studies on human pheromones role in sexuality I haven\'t seen, as there ARE so few of them in this very new and immature field (compared to other fields of study).

*People are not the same as rats, and studying them cannot profitably be the same, lest one\'s position on humanity becomes as I have just described.

*You still insist I argue for visual primacy (I only said it was significant), [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] even though I have obviously never done so in any post! Others have here, but not me. You are acting as if you need to paint someone into some extreme position you know how to \"defeat\".

*There are \"no other\" plausible biology theories... So what?? There are also none in architecture or mechanical engineering. Most people don\'t turn first to biologists or architects for the most fundamental questions about the human psyche, behavior or experience, but to psychology. Psychologists (and other social scientists), accordingly, have done all the work in such areas. The responsible, professional conclusion is simply that more needs to be done.

*Still, all you can say is that \"there is no visual model.\" Who cares? As I have pointed out so many times, the phero field is immature, and the necessary research has not been done yet on humans. Now is not the time for arrogance about what \"one thing\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] causes physical attraction. Such arrogance is just masturbation to me. And new research on the bigger picture of attraction would not have to imitate biology studies on olfaction, as you state, as psychological/neuroscience has research methods and dependent measures (research methods term)of it\'s own.

*Give me a break. I bet quite a few forum members have seen most of the human sexuality pheromone research -- there is so little of it (although it has grown, thankfully). I\'ve been dissapointed several times searching the literature in vain for something new.

*Psychology is still one of the most popular majors. The other social sciences, such as social work, sociology, economoics, and anthropology are doing quite well too. Most biologists respect these fields. Dying??? There are a dozen social scientists on every street corner where I live. That is a bit grandiose and ignorant of you to say we are dying. Who are you to comment on the state of psychology or the other human sciences? A week ago you did not even vaguely know the definition of the word \"social science.\" If you knew anything about psychology, you would know that psychologists already incorporate biology, and are increasingly doing this whenever possible -- but they are incorporating and integrating it. There is no conflict between the biology and social science; unless you take a narrow, shallow, and disjoined view of one or the other.

*Basically, you seem on thin ice whenever you generalize to human nature, but are already convinced you know THE TRUTH. Therefore, why let in new information? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] In fact, dozens of fields of study are all BS and dying anyway, so we don\'t need to listen to them!

*Getting in a peer reviewed journal does not mean your conclusions are sound, or that you have correctly interpeted the research.

*Yes, some links are there, but that research still doesn\'t support your narrow, piecemeal, and superficial position. Please, give me a reference to even one article that supports your extreme position. I haven\'t seen one yet. Those referenced above, and in your \"flagship\" article surely don\'t cut it (your article does shows pheros have effects in humans, which I agree with and have praised you for -- clearly the research supports it.). If you are unwilling to provide it, then don\'t expect critical thinkers here to believe you. You don\'t need us anyway. You can always go back to preaching to your choir.

*By the way, darkness was not talking to me, he was talking to xvs. He wasn\'t saying you went over my points already at all (which you didn\'t). I also misunderstood that post.

*So you agree that you say there is no room for consciousness, thinking, awareness, cognition, or the mind in your biological world-view of human relationships and sexuality. Fine. That of course means that if such psychic things were in fact important you would have no way of knowing about them! It seems this is indeed what is happening. It seems sad that a member of Mensa would curse himself in such a way. But we\'ll all be dead soon, and a new generation of thinkers will take over.

*So you agree that you say there is no room for consciousness, thinking, awareness, cognition, or the mind in your biological world-view of human relationships and sexuality.

I keep trying to say that consciousness is not required in a biological explanation of mammalian, including human, sexuality. You don\'t get it, but still summarize with your twist. Of course consciousness is involved, in humans. But we would reproduce given our mammalian biological heritage, even if we were not conscious beings. Thus, consciousness is not required.

Others have critiqued your approach much better than I.

For example see:

http://pedantry.blogspot.com/2003_03_02_pedantry_archive.html

excerpt: \"Stripped of adaptationist thinking, \"evolutionary psychology\" ceases to be evolutionary. It becomes merely biological psychology and conventional sociology. Stripped of its ability to associate behaviours to genes without having to present pathological theories, it looses everything that distinguishes it from ordinary social science. The grand conclusions advanced by its luminaries loose all force. WIthout this veneer of scientism, they represent nothing but political rhetoric and should be judged in the same way as all other political rhetoric.\"

I tend to ignore the rhetoric, and strongly favor a biological model that has extraordinary explanatory power. Obviously, you favor the rhetoric, which explains nothing.

and a new generation of thinkers will take over.

Yes. Scary thought, isn\'t it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Holmes

I tend to ignore the rhetoric, and strongly favor a biological model that has extraordinary explanatory power. Obviously, you favor the rhetoric, which explains nothing.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">I get it, I just don\'t agree with it. I just won\'t adopt a biologically myopic and superficial mind-set, or give myself a lobotomy so I can agree. I\'ll agree when you bring something to the table that passes muster. I appreciate you are trying, but frankly you have not earned your cockiness, scientifically speaking, as much as I admire your entrepreneurial prowess.

You have a habit of talking without regard to the meanings of intellectual terms used, but I guess that might just be lack of formal training (here I am trying to be generous, as I know large vocabularies are one of the most common correlates in those who score well on standardized IQ tests.).

You apparently know bigotry toward non-biologically restricted sciences well. But you adequately understand neither theory of rhetoric (which is rooted in Plato\'s Gorgias. You are way more rhetorical throughout this thread than I, as I articulate a logical framework more often -- which is both the precise opposite of rhetoric and the prescribed antidote to it.) nor scientific explanation (Quick, tell me what determines explanatory power in science!? How about distinguishing theoretical from mathematical explanation, or prediction from explanation? These are all relevant issues here, but I can\'t discuss them by myself.)for the purposes of even discussing that cockily ignorant (my very favorite human quality, comedy-wise) statement you just made. I will mention:

\"Obviously...Extraordinary...Nothing\"!

These are rhetorical flourishes. By rhetoric I mean empty, base emotional appeals in place of reason, meant only to persuade, according to a some motive besides truth-seeking (e.g., will to power. With your misleading, exaggerated accusations, you sound like you are desparate about book sales, or something.); which is the traditional definition of rhetoric.

Just keep talking about human nature and how your theory about a few organic chemicals, a small part, of a small part, of a small part, of human sexual relationships; explains it all better than all the information from other sciences combined; information which you feel no need to integrate into any big picture that resembles the everyday world of human relationships in their richness. You are not doing yourself any favors. Scientific humility is so much easier, and is absolutely essential to all good science.

Scientifically speaking, nothing is \'extraordinary\' about the \'explanatory power\' of a theory (jvk\'s) that is incapable of ever accounting for more than a tiny part of the variation in the phenomena of ultimate interest, such as the everyday experience of attraction, desire for intimacy, and human actions that flow from it). The explanatory power of my theory is far more than yours on those formal grounds. Explanatory power has to do with testability also, but we are equal there, as both theories are well testable, if you understand human scientific research. It is scientifically irrelevant to talk about how much my fledgeling theory in fact explains, as that rides on whatever research would/could flow from it. So you continue to talk like something other than a professional scientist, per se.

I don\'t know what you were thinking when you decided that article you just posted was relevant, as I was not offering an evolutionary explanation at all. That rather weak article could only be a sound critique of some hypothetical evolutionary psychologist, who is trying to do just what a evolutionary biologist does without the biology, and whom we have good reason to judge only according to the standards of biology. (unlikely conditions, indeed) Complaining that psychological research falls short on identifying genes is like saying Michael Jordan threw too few touchdown passes to be considered a great athlete. He isn\'t a football player, and psychologists aren\'t biologists, thank you very much. How well psychology explains sexuality is to be measured against the rich content of everyday stories of sexual living, and how useful such explanations are to counselors in practice, etc. You have to know just barely enough to be dangerous to think, for instance, that explaining everything but the genes involved in some huge complex multi-systemic phenomenon is explaining \"nothing\". Maybe you think all science is evolutionary biology, or should be. You are all about what is needed in biology (consciousness vs. none, etc.)

And regail us please, how exactly would humans be mating just finewithout consciousness??! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can see it now -- scientists behind a glass waiting patiently for two pheromone soaked, completely vegetative, deeply comatose individuals to mate. Sexuality without consciousness is not only not sexuality. It is not even human life. Hilarious.

I don\'t have time to continue useless discussion, but will attempt to show others why I think the discussion is useless.
    ---------------------
    DrSmellTHis </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />

*So you agree that you say there is no room for consciousness, thinking, awareness, cognition, or the mind in your biological world-view of human relationships and sexuality.

JVK </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />

...consciousness is not required in a biological explanation of mammalian, including human, sexuality. [cut] Of course consciousness is involved... But we would reproduce..., even if we were not conscious beings. Thus, consciousness is not required.

After several more pages of debate/rhetoric DrSmellThis:
    And regail us please, how exactly would humans be mating just finewithout consciousness??!... Sexuality without consciousness is not only not sexuality. It is not even human life. Hilarious.

I extend a mammalian biological model to explain human sexuality. Other mammals are not conscious, and still reproduce. When I say that humans would still reproduce, without consciousness, DrSmellThis informs us that this is not sexuality, while pretending to respond to something I said; twisting my words and their meaning to a ridiculous assertion that I did not make:

Sexuality without consciousness is not only not sexuality. It is not even human life. Hilarious.

Sexual behavior without consciousness is characteristic of other mammals and the biological basis of mammalian sexuality extends well to humans. Again, \"consciousness is not required in a biological model of mammalian, including human, sexuality.\"

An overview of posts to this Forum would almost undoubtedly leave the impression that women (and men) are not thinking about their response to pheromones, which is conditioned to occur just as it is in other mammals. Minimally, the mammalian first response, and a woman\'s first response, are based on unconscious affect, rather than any conscious (thinking) cause and effect. Pheromonal processing does not require consciousness to elicit a hormone response! Minimally, all further responses to mammalian pheromones are conditioned as part of a hormonal response that leads to a behavioral response (or lack of one). In humans, as with all mammals, the hormone response has been shown to occur upon exposure to pheromones. There is no evidence that indicates consciousness is required for this response to occur.

DrSmellThis shows that he cannot understand what I have repeatedly said/written. Instead, he continues his rhetoric, and continues to twist my words. Unfortunately, this is very typical of my experience in debates with psychologists, who often attempt to mislead others. As I have indicated: they just don\'t get it! DrSmellThis berates me for my lack of formal education. It is evident to me that his formal education has not led to an understanding either of mammalian biology or its consequences. He continues to show that he just doesn\'t get it. Perhaps those of us who are informally educated (or less educated) have an advantage in this regard. <font color=\"brown\"> </font>

Default The One and the Many

1. Science (I make no distinction between natural and social) seeks the best explanation of the phenomena under investigation.

This means that a priori commitments to either biological or cognitive models are unscientific limitations on the acquisition of knowledge.

2. Big words, bad spelling, big credentials: They don\'t mean squat.

Ad hominem arguments add to the bread and circuses atmosphere. But again, they do not advance the acquisition of knowledge.

3. There really is more to explaining human behavior than is contained in Behaviorist or Pavlovian models.

Language acquisition, for example cannot be explained.

These models do have the advantage of eliminating any reference to consciousness. But they lack broad explanatory power.

4. Mones influence human sexual behavior and human hormone levels.

Just like JVK says in the epilogue (or afterword, or whatever it\'s called, I don’t have it in front of me) of the revised edition of his book.

5. The evidence does not support the claim that mones determine human sexual behavior.

A while back I posted a link about a US soldier who seduced, via e-mail, large numbers of stateside women. They all thought they were engaged and many had shelled out thousands of dollars on a wedding dress. All of this was a conditioned response? Possibly. But very very unlikely.

JVK can rightly respond, if not mones, then what? Very good question. Since DrST likes Plato so much, I will socratically argue that I am the wisest interlocutor in this thread because I know that I do not know the best explanation of human sexual behavior. I am unlikely to sell many products telling people I am ignorant, nor am I likely to attract large numbers of followers. But I will be speaking the truth. And those who claim that they do have good explanations of human sexual behavior are, most likely, like the sophists Socrates opposed. They do a brisk business. To advance historically from Greek to Latin: caveat emptor.

6. Prediction and control, alone, provide an insufficient basis for scientific understanding.

If you can predict and control human behavior in a few very narrowly constrained kinds of environments, you do not necessarily have a superior theory. If you remove all variables except scent, no doubt you can demonstrate that scent is the determinate variable in selecting a sexual partner. You have satisfied the criteria of prediction and control.

But you have not demonstrated that in authentic social environments chemical signals trump kinesthetic, visual, or aural stimuli.

Prediction and control, alone, is insufficient. Prediction and control in complex social environments is the gold standard. Show me that you can take a group of socially inept, highly asymmetric, short, overweight, middle-aged men, splash some mones on them, and make it so that fertile young women reliably have sexual intercourse with them and you’ll make your case and I will trumpet your success.

Phero Enthusiast

Ah, the debate rages on. There are some fine papers showing visual \'hardwiring\' from birth related to inter-personal issues (apart from olfaction), but in my laziness I\'ve decided it\'s easier to ignore them. My model becomes so much easier to explain that way. Allow me to use a simple argument to illustrate my model:

PREMISE: JVK is right about all his claims. Attraction is SOLELY based on olfaction and olfaction-conditioned influences. All attraction is either olfaction-driven or may be traced back through a olfaction-conditioned channel.
    FACT: Modern hygiene practices eliminate/severely modify the natural phero scent of humans. Our scrubbed bodies resemble more than anything a juvenile scent signature. Added chemical perfumes resemble nothing in the animal kingdom. We have substituted a juvenile and/or non-human artificial scent for our natural human phero signature.
    CONCLUSION: It is therefore virtually impossible for modern humans to be attracted to adults of the opposite sex. We are attracted to children or the deodorants/soaps we were exposed to growing up (after all, we were deprived of normal exposure to the natural scents of our own species, unlike every other member of the animal kingdom). We therefore are a species of pedophiles and chemo-philes.

What? Don\'t like my logic?? I dare you to present a model that explains why humans can have normal sexual orientation, given that ALL attraction is olfaction-driven, and modern humans deliberately alter and modify their natural scents. See - you haven\'t presented such a model, therefore my model is NECESSARILY correct. Case closed. I love science. So much easier than thinking…

Phero Enthusiast

Kim Wallen has written a brilliant paper showing how in the higher primates sexual behavior is influenced but not controlled by the endocrine system (unlike other mammals). The work is supported by clever experimentation and is thoughtfully extended to humans. I\'ve cited that paper in previous posts.

There\'s no doubt in my mind pheros influence our sexual behavior. Plenty of doubt in my mind that there are no other independent channels of sexual attraction. Wasn\'t it Sobel that advanced the multiple channel theory of attraction? Sobel certainly has credibility in the \'hard biology\' arena of phero research (lovely brain scan photos of phero activation).

The muliple channel theory seems to encompass the available data better than anything else I\'ve heard argued so far.

Nice posts, belgareth, nonscents and irish. There is no quarrel here about the well known raw findings of human pheromone research, per se; there is rather about the way the findings are interpreted. You all summarize the divide between jvk and myself fairly well. There are two very different languages/realities at stake here; and my earnest(if clumsily ad hominem) efforts at bridging them have been unsuccessful, since communication was still sorely lacking after all that.

I falsely assumed the mainstream language of research methodology and theoretical science would provide a common medium for discussing what turned out to be shifting, ghost-like, and too slippery to pin down. I reacted in frustration to the unnecessary lack of forward movement and good faith communication, by overly dramatizing points that seemingly weren\'t heard -- Turns out that didn\'t work too well. However, I am glad that at least several others are able to grasp the basic issues clearly while adding their unique twist. It is a pleasure to hear measured and balanced opinions. Indeed no one here has a grip on Truth. I just threw a theoretical sketch in the hat to suggest that there is more to the picture.

The process of science might have a bit of a handle on a portion of truth with a little \'t\'.

Reasonable, testable theories that fit existing data pass muster, and are then tested in the lab and field. They are taken seriously as a theoretically related set of testable hypotheses. They receive more or less support down the road, and are modified along the way. We have to sort of suspend our beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. But ultimately, rational argument is the main tool we have left to distinguish theories with broad explanatory power from among those that merely fit the data in some relatively small number of studies. It would be interesting to have another scientist here that agrees with JVK\'s ambitious interpretation of the basic research.

Default Re: The One and the Many

nonsents approach:

I will socratically argue that I am the wisest interlocutor in this thread because I know that I do not know the best explanation of human sexual behavior.

Spoken like a philosopher. The study of what is known will lead to the best explanation. What is known is that pheromones activate genes in cells that secrete the hormone that regulates all of mammalian sexual behavior.

I am unlikely to sell many products telling people I am ignorant, nor am I likely to attract large numbers of followers. But I will be speaking the truth.

I do not find it admirable that philosophers truthfully say: I don\'t know. It takes no education/study to say this; why study anything? You could find many followers, since followers, in general, don\'t know either. The problem here is that since none of you know, who will be the leader, and who will be the followers.

6. Prediction and control, alone, provide an insufficient basis for scientific understanding.

Predicting a cause and effect relationship and demonstrating this relationship in a controlled experiment is an exceptional basis for scientific understanding.

Prediction and control in complex social environments is the gold standard. Show me that you can take a group of socially inept, highly asymmetric, short, overweight, middle-aged men, splash some mones on them, and make it so that fertile young women reliably have sexual intercourse with them and you’ll make your case and I will trumpet your success.

I have never attempted to make the case that pheromones act as aphrodisiacs. You offer yet another example of how to mislead others with regard to claims that I never made. A subtle twist is all that\'s required.

Irish writes:
    Don\'t like my logic?? I dare you to present a model that explains why humans can have normal sexual orientation, given that ALL attraction is olfaction-driven, and modern humans deliberately alter and modify their natural scents. See - you haven\'t presented such a model, therefore my model is NECESSARILY correct. Case closed. I love science. So much easier than thinking…

The model you request was detailed in my Neuroendocrinology Letters paper. Subsequently, the model for homosexual orientation, other orientation, and for paraphilias was presented in my Across Species Comparisons and Psychopathology paper. Both papers are available on-line and are linked from my web site. (Am I repeating myself?)

Sobel certainly has credibility in the \'hard biology\' arena of phero research (lovely brain scan photos of phero activation).

Irish: Noam Sobel introduced the work of I.Savic in an issue of Neuron which I\'m sure is cited on my web site. Savic et. al. showed that pheromones from men or from women activated different part of the brain in men and in women. This brilliant demonstration helps focus on the need to incorporate a sensory stimulus that varies between males and females, and a sex difference in the processing of this stimulus. This focus allows one to rule out the importance of sensory stimuli from the social environment that is, biologically speaking, not different in males and females in its production or interpretation. The difference in the stimulus and the difference in interpretation are required before one attempts to explain sex differences in behavior that are due to sensory input from the social environment.

I am also very familiar with Kim Wallen\'s work, and not at all surprised that he stops short of using a mammalian model to explain human sexuality. He has certainly provided many details from primate studys, but also incorporates cognition as is appropriate for humans. The difference between Kim and me is that I don\'t incorporate cognition, as it is not required in the mammalian model.

The muliple channel theory seems to encompass the available data better than anything else I\'ve heard argued so far.

belgareth,
    The multiple channel theory encompasses so much data that it has no explanatory power, unless you think \"I don\'t know\" or subjective reports offer a sufficient explanation. There is only one channel (olfaction) that is different in males and females, and no way I know to objectively get past this crucial point.

Reasonable, testable theories that fit existing data pass muster, and are then tested in the lab and field. They are taken seriously as a theoretically related set of testable hypotheses. They receive more or less support down the road, and are modified along the way. We have to sort of suspend our beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. But ultimately, rational argument is the main tool we have left to distinguish theories with broad explanatory power from among those that merely fit the data in some relatively small number of studies. It would be interesting to have another scientist here that agrees with JVK\'s ambitious interpretation of the basic research.

Ambitious interpretation of basic research? This is not my interpretion, it is biological fact:

Mammalian pheromones activate genes in cells of tissue in the brain, the most important organ of any organ system involved in behavior. This gene-cell-tissue-organ-organ system pathway is essential to any biologically based explanation of how our social environment influences sexual behavior.

It would be interesting to find any other scientist with even a cursory understanding of biology who did not agree with what you refer to as my ambitious interpretation. Others may not agree with extension of this explanation to human sexual behavior, but nearly every biologist I know uses a mammalian model to explain and to interpret research findings.

I will close my participation in this discussion with quotes from the last paragraph of a recent Scent of Eros book review:

\"In short, this lack of a critical approach undermines the validity of the book\'s contents. However it should be remembered that this book is aimed at a general audience...\"

My comments on this Forum also are aimed at a general audience.

\"For a more academic consideration of the field by the authors, I would recommend Kohl\'s more recent review paper (Kohl et al, 2001), which addresses the issues outlined above.\"

Even if this Forum were more academically oriented, it would not allow for a more academic consideration. Minimally, an extensive review of the available data is required (I\'ve published a 16-page review, that cannot be detailed or duplicated in a Forum discussion.) So, rather than address any details or discuss them, DrSmellThis focusses on cognition and what I have not shown/proven, rather than on my model and its explanatory power. The model integrates many biologically based disciplines. This discussion no longer has anything to do with biology, and most of you should already understand why I rarely enter debates with psychologists. As I\'ve repeatedly said: They just don\'t get it!

Journeyman

is it possible for jkohl to add in new fragrance to the scent of ero so that we have choice to choose ? eg having lavender in the oil [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, or no fragrance. A choice would be great.

Holmes

Phero Enthusiast

My tongue was firmly in cheek in that post – trying to show how it is possible to mix true facts with a dubious premise and end up with an extreme and extremely bogus conclusion. Nevertheless, the underlying point in that remains: If olfaction is the sole determinant of human sexuality, and virtually no civilized human is exposed to natural human scent anymore (modern hygiene), why aren’t our orientation and sexual process not extremely disturbed? We seem to be orienting and copulating just fine as a species, even with our deodorized and perfumed bodies. I bring this up to point out there MAY be other pathways of sexuality/attraction, independent of olfaction. The fact you point out that homosexuality may involve an alternate pheromone process is not surprising (I believe you), sounds quite plausible, and has nothing to do with answering the above question I pose.

If I had to bet the house I’d say olfaction has precisely as much to do with sexual attraction, as the removing/muffling of olfaction (through nearly universal modern hygiene) has impact on modern body-washing humans. That is to say, I’m convinced olfaction has some important effect, but when we seriously disturb it as a species (with hygiene) we still manage to orient and copulate pretty well. There must be other factors at play.

For evidence we have a culture-wide experiment to observe: our un-natural (from an animal viewpoint) removal of body scent and deliberate addition of artificial non-human scents:hygiene. We are turning down (if not off) the natural scent signal, and covering/scrambling it with artificial scent signals. We should be able to observe the importance of olfaction by noticing the effect of its removal/disruption via hygiene. The result is apparently minimal - we are not all in fact pedophiles or antiperspirant fetishists as I sarcastically referred to before. We find a way to normal sexuality without experiencing the natural human scent signal over our lifetime.

As far as the Kim Wallen reference, I was bolstering the specific point that hormones are not the sole determinant of human (and other higher primates) sexual behavior. Rank in the group and real-time social settings carry the day and can cause actions in opposition to the individual’s hormonal condition (in primates – not other mammals). Wallen goes so far as to say that the sexual activity of the higher primates is emancipated from their hormonal condition (hormones affect motivation obviously, but the forebrain predominates in sex behavior in higher primates and can override hormones in either direction). I invite those interested to read for themselves; the work is specific and convincing, and case studies of human castrates and others are used to extend the premise to humans. The experimentation behind his work is well designed and to the point.

Of course we can ignore it if we choose, or refute it if we can, or imply Wallen is an evil idiot, or … maybe even accept his work and attempt to incorporate it into our thinking – until a fuller explanation enhances or replaces his findings. Nah…that’s too hard.

To be a little serious, I think the crux of the disagreements here tend to be your position that olfaction is the SOLE influence on sexual activity/development (directly or by conditioning), based on evidence presented. The evidence is compelling for olfactory effect, the evidence for sole effect is not quite there. Plus I personally have read material that runs counter to some of your claims. This isn\'t an attack - but an attempt to absorb all relevant evidence and find the best position that incorporates it all. This position will (and should) change as more evidence comes forth. If you want to read something funny, read a 50 year old science book - scientific data and understanding evolve. I\'m not ready to follow you as a guru (unless you can lay out sufficient evidence, and effectively refute credible counter-evidence and positions). Credible questions and critiques should be addressed on their merits, without reference to the possible mental inferiority of those making them, if you you want to convince those who aren\'t quite on board with your positions yet.

Challenging others to produce a better \'model\' has nothing to do with the truth of your own model, nor does it prove it. It certainly didn\'t make the earth-centric \'model\' of the solar system any more true during the time before the sun-centric model was finally advanced.

Off topic, I also joined Mensa, but quickly gave up on the meetings. The random company at the local pub is consistently more entertaining and informative. And open-minded.

the underlying point in that remains: If olfaction is the sole determinant of human sexuality, and virtually no civilized human is exposed to natural human scent anymore (modern hygiene), why aren’t our orientation and sexual process not extremely disturbed?\"

Olfaction is not the sole determinant! Despite modern hygeine, all humans continue to be exposed to pheromones as components of natural body odor. Pheromones do not need to be consciously perceived to elicit the hormonal changes that influence behavior. (How many times have I written this?) Our orientation and sexual processes are disturbed because few people recognize the underlying biological basis for their sexual development. Minimally, the understanding that women are typically more susceptible to men\'s pheromones around ovulation, might explain some extra pair copulations (adultery?) when a woman is most likely to get pregnant. Understanding that men prefer the scent of an ovulatory woman, and that a novel scent stimulus typically is more powerful might explain why many men find it difficult to resist \"hitting on\" a novel female.

We seem to be orienting and copulating just fine as a race, even with our deodorized and perfumed bodies.

Just fine? As a race we are the most perverted of any species on the planet. Other mammals are atypical when they exhibit odor related paraphilias; rubber, leather, shoe, underwear fetishes, for example, not to mention pedophilia, B&amp;D, S&amp;M etc.

Besides, deodorized does not mean we lack pheromone production, and perfume does not limit the pheromonal effect on hormones. One study indicated that women choose perfumes that enhance their genetically diverse scent.

there MAY be other pathways of sexuality/attraction, independent of olfaction.

There are _NO_ other direct pathways from sexually dimorphic social-environmental sensory stimuli to sexually dimorphic processing; sexually dimorphic hormonal changes; and sexually dimorphic behavior. Think about this, please. It\'s simple to say that there may be other pathways, but much more difficult to make such an assertion when you realize what the pathway must contain: genes in hormone secreting nerve cells of tissue in the brain, for example, is the first criteria that must be met. From my ASCAP paper: \"Social phenomena are biological phenomena and the interaction between sensory input from the environment and neuroendocrinology is a general rule in endocrine relationships that underlie behavior.\" Yes, there are rules involved here! Unless, that is, you take a psychological approach where virtually anything goes. No need for hormones, or sexual dimorphism at all with a psychological approach. Just tell people that human sexual behavior is very complex or that it can only be understood by examining subjective reports (case studies). Forget biology, entirely, and you\'re free to invent whatever theory you wish.

As far as the Kim Wallen reference, I was bolstering the specific point that hormones are not the sole determinant of human (and other higher primates) sexual behavior.

Does anyone still think that this point needs to be bolstered? Conscious choice so obviously overrides the influence of hormones in higher primates that it is ridiculous to think otherwise. That you bolter this point in correspondence to me, suggests that I am an idiot who needs to learn that hormones don\'t determine conscious choice.

Still, when the influence of hormones rules, behavior is animalistic. So, the question is at what point does conscious choice enter the picture. DrSmellThis indicated that sexual behavior has its onset with puberty, which is very misleading. Males and females are born with genetically predisposed characteristics of their adult sexual behavior. But, even if there was validity for such an indication, questions remain. For example, is adult oral-genital sex simply an animalistic response to pheromones, or is it a conscious choice. Perhaps there\'s some visual stimulus that makes oral-genital sex popular (sarcasm intended here). How did this visual signal manage to draw us to an area of potent pheromone production and distribution? What are you looking for, down there?

Wallen goes so far as to say that the sexual activity of the higher primates is emancipated from their hormonal condition (hormones affect motivation obviously, but the forebrain predominates in sex behavior in higher primates and can override hormones in either direction).

So? Kim does not deny the influence of pheromones on sexual development, and will never deny that they are very much responsible for the properly timed reproductive sexual behavior of his primates. I\'m relatively certain he would agree that human oral-genital sex is not forebrain dependent, and know that he agrees with nearly everything I\'ve written. His comments to me are limited to toning down my approach, so that others don\'t get the idea that I\'m saying pheromones are all that matter.

Of course we can ignore it if we choose, or refute it if we can, or imply Wallen is an evil idiot, or … maybe even accept his work and attempt to incorporate it into our thinking – until a fuller explanation enhances or replaces his findings. Nah…that’s too hard. Bull-headed dogmatism is easier and more fun! I’m right you’re wrong! Those that disagree are too dumb to understand what I’m saying!!

I\'m tired of people indicating that I am unaware of other issues, that I am dogmatic, or that I consider myself too intellectually superior, or am too close-minded to discuss the issues. I consistently see that others think such accusations are called for, simply because of a general failure to look at what I\'ve written. Instead most people respond by telling me what I meant. I\'ve been involved in an endless series of debates, since 1992 when I first presented my mammalian model and extended it to humans. Still, there is no other biologically based model linking nature and nurture at the genetic level, which is the crucial link between our social environment (nurture) and our genetic predisposition (nature). What does that tell me? Most people would rather continue to believe that humans are primarily visual creatures, or that, minimally, the influence of pheromones has little to do with human sexual behavior. If true, how did we manage to survive as a species, long enough to have such debates? Just because we are now able to indulge ourselves in academic debate does not mean we have risen above the biological underpinnings of our behavior. Simply put, as a species, we\'re not nearly as intelligent as we think we are. Perhaps this is because we don\'t think about unconscious affect (on hormones), and the role that it plays in conditioning our behavior, so that we act without thinking--like other animals.

Off topic, I also joined Mensa...

Congratulations! Some of the local groups are more interesting than others. Regional and National gatherings are always fun.

Default Now we can hug and sing \"Kumbaya\"

JVK wrote </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Conscious choice so obviously overrides the influence of hormones in higher primates that it is ridiculous to think otherwise.

So, in addition to the heat, we have generated some light.

Default Re: Now we can hug and sing \"Kumbaya\"

But, remember: light without heat is generally a crashing bore. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Holmes

Phero Enthusiast

Does anyone still think that this point needs to be bolstered? Conscious choice so obviously overrides the influence of hormones in higher primates that it is ridiculous to think otherwise. That you bolter this point in correspondence to me, suggests that I am an idiot who needs to learn that hormones don\'t determine conscious choice.

I made this point not because I think anyone is an idiot, but because you seemed to make the point earlier that hormonal change was necessary to a sexual response. The paper I refer to clearly indicates otherwise - that is in fact the thrust of the paper. Conscious thought (or some other pathway) can not only override hormonal prompting in primates incl. humans, it can generate sexual reponse in the absence of hormonal changes. I was pointing out what some might consider a factual error in your argument, and offering evidence, which one can weigh in the light of whether they believe Wallen or not.

Again I encourage intersested readers to check out the material for themselves.

Stranger

The model you request was detailed in my Neuroendocrinology Letters paper. Subsequently, the model for homosexual orientation, other orientation, and for paraphilias was presented in my Across Species Comparisons and Psychopathology paper. Both papers are available on-line and are linked from my web site. (Am I repeating myself?)

Maybe, maybe not. But whatever. You sound like a dork who doesn\'t get out of his own head much. I\'ve read your posts and the others and cruised this forum for over a month now. And while I don\'t know which side of the argument I fall on (and, quite frankly, I don\'t care), you need to chill out.

I think what people MAY be trying to point out to you is that, while it is POSSIBLE that chemical signals are the primary sexual catalysts, they may not be the ONLY deciding factor. And, no matter how precise you get with your instrumentation and your experimentation, the chances are VERY LIKELY, you\'re missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

Besides, relying only on pheromonal triggers seems like just a good excuse not to develop your personality, or your capabilities of interacting with human beings (male or female). While that may be good for someone who\'s creating pheromone products (and for the people buying them), that sort of single-minded focus (a positive way of saying \"closed-minded\") probably get you laid very often.

Unless pheromones are the only sexual trigger.

Felly

\"Maybe, maybe not. But whatever. You sound like a dork who doesn\'t get out of his own head much. I\'ve read your posts and the others and cruised this forum for over a month now.\"

GREAT, some dildo who has \"cruised the forum for a month now\" and has established NO credability insults someone WITH credability as his FIRST post.

\"Besides, relying only on pheromonal triggers seems like just a good excuse not to develop your personality, or your capabilities of interacting with human beings (male or female). While that may be good for someone who\'s creating pheromone products (and for the people buying them), that sort of single-minded focus (a positive way of saying \"closed-minded\") probably get you laid very often.\"

AND if you had \"cruised the forum for a month\" you would have noted that it is repeatedly pointed out that ~mones are only ONE tool. There have been repeated comments that personality and social skills must be combined with ~mones, that ~mones WILL NOT do the job on their own!!

Just my humble opinion!

AND if you had \"cruised the forum for a month\" you would have noted that it is repeatedly pointed out that ~mones are only ONE tool. There have been repeated comments that personality and social skills must be combined with ~mones, that ~mones WILL NOT do the job on their own!!

Yeah, the fact that mones are hardly a quick-fix substitute for things like body awareness/presentation, social savoir faire, and attitude is a topic which has been addressed quite a bit around here.

Holmes

Nonscents, you are correct: prediction and control are not near enough in science. You did a good job explaining why, but jvk \"ignored\" the salient issues you raised, merely asserting you are wrong. JVK seems to like to hear himself repeating \"they don\'t get it.\" How many ways can I put it? Honestly, nothing he has said challenges my faculty for \"getting things\". Much of it is boring, except that I find nonsense itself interesting, on some occasions. Nothing he said or wrote caused a feeling of confusion. I understand as much of the biology as I need to for the meta-discussion. When he has made a legitimate point, I have tried to incorporate it into my mindset. JVK has said nothing new here, and I am not overwhelmed by HIS \"genius\". (It seems \"high school\" that he has to keep reminding people he is in Densa.)

I am not using an exclusively biological perspective, and neither should he; because we are \"meta-biology\" here! We are applying biology within a larger sociologic/psychologic/philosophical discussion with very different standards! He chose to \'go there\'! This is one of the things he does not get, after repeated attempts to help, but should. For instance, I cannot believe he still says \"consciousness is not required in biology\". Indeed, we have moved on to a bigger human picture now because he has forced it on us with his general statements about human nature, on one hand; and denial of responsibility to transcend biologic myopia, on the other hand. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Folks must see the irony here.

Moreover, it seems highly unlikely that all those psychologists, and all other social scientists, just can\'t \"get it.\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Hmmm... What could it be? It is, on the other hand, increasingly apparent why psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists, counselors, and other \"dying breed\" social scientists might all choose not to waste their time debating with him. Perhaps they\'re neither looking to buy anything, stuck in biology class, nor taking public speaking lessons.

Default visual cues

The apparent evidence suggesting that visual pathways are important in human attractiveness sorting is obvious from the success of the romantic leads in films.

I happen to buy some of JVK\'s hypothesis---generally mammalian biology has been more successful in explaining significant amounts of human behavior than psychology.

This requires a number of things:

1) humans who are visually more attractive made more and better pheros. This has to be demonstrated experimentally.

The obvious place to start is female waist to hip ratio which has a very strong and obvious cross-cultual preference. Basically, can it be unambiguously shown that fat chix make worse pheros?

2) in controlled circumstances, putting \'ugly person\' pheros with pictures of visually-hot subjects would have to be rated lower than \'pretty person\' pheros matched with pictures of the ugly subjects. I would guess that the
    results would be that pheros can modify the response but the
    magnitude of the effect would be quantitatively less (e.g. measured with logistic regression) than the visual regression variable.

Now what does that show? On one hand somebody says
    \"see visual input is more important\", which is true in this measure, but then somebody else says \"but the visual preference is the result of years on years of olfactory conditioning over hundreds of subjects and so represents the
    \'time-averaged\' effect, i.e. an olfactory \"prior\" which when combined with the present input leads to the observed result.

One can make up an evolutionary hypothesis (again without experimental evidence) about this. Suppose that the \"best\" mates are those with the superior pheromonal signatures, but because of the vagaries of biology, the actual instantaneous pheromonal production by any animal fluctuates very highly.
    You want to mate with that animal which has the highest **average** level of pheromonal quality, but you have to try to *estimate* this from short-term instantaneous observations. The physical shape (i.e. visual input) of potential mates may reflect the cumulative effect of their pheromonal signature over long times and thus may be an approximate, but not-time varying, indicator of the target\'s average pheromonal/sex hormone levels. The best Bayesian estimator will combine the visually-estimated \"prior\" which in addition to the presently smelled/sensed pheromonal output from the animal will give the best estimate of the potential mate\'s true \"underlying\" long-term pheromonal level.

If this scenario were the case, can you say that \"visual input\" is more important than \"pheromonal input\"?

It depends on what you mean by this. It is using visual input as a proxy for pheromones, which may be even more important than actual pheromone output in the presence of strong time-dependent fluctuations.

Bad analogy: the size and quality of a rich man\'s house is more important than the particular amount of actual Benjamins in his wallet at any one moment in time. does this mean that a gold-digger is in truth a plaster and bedroom digger? No, we all know that the cash capability of the man is the true attracting factor but is evaluated indirectly.

... you seemed to make the point earlier that hormonal change was necessary to a sexual response. The paper I refer to clearly indicates otherwise - that is in fact the thrust of the paper. Conscious thought (or some other pathway) can not only override hormonal prompting in primates incl. humans, it can generate sexual reponse in the absence of hormonal changes.

You appear to be focussed on the adult sexual response, one that is already conditioned by pheromones. Once it is conditioned, it can occur in response to visual input, like the testosterone increase when men watch an erotic video. However, the origin of the sexual response is still hormonal. Kim could not possibly dissagree with this developmental approach. I can\'t imagine how he would explain consciously determined sexual behavior in the absence of hormonal change. If need be, I\'ll read the article again. If this were possible, there would be no need for Viagra. Very difficult to consciously \"will\" an erection, or for that matter female lubrication. A mammalian correlate: Sexually naive males rats that are made anosmic do not mate; experienced males retain their mating behaviors even after being made anosmic--at least for a while. Finally, the lack of a pheromonal effect appears to get to them; they lose interest, most likely because the odor of the female no longer is hormonally rewarding to them.

I was pointing out what some might consider a factual error in your argument, and offering evidence, which one can weigh in the light of whether they believe Wallen or not.

Wallen can be believed within the context of his paper. You do not address the context. Simply put, gonadal hormones regulate motivation, not the physical ability to copulate. But would any primate copulate without the motivation provided by gonadal hormones? Indeed, how would any primate experience the desire to copulate in the absence of gonadal hormone motivation? One of us needs to read the article again. Let me know.

Again I encourage intersested readers to check out the material for themselves.

The title is Sex and Context: Hormones and Primate Sexual Motivation. Hormones and Behavior 2001: 40; 339-357.

The title sufficiently advises to take the information in context. He is talking about hormonally mediated physical changes that either allow copulation or do not.

Default Re: Now we can hug and sing \"Kumbaya\"

JVK wrote </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Conscious choice so obviously overrides the influence of hormones in higher primates that it is ridiculous to think otherwise.

So, in addition to the heat, we have generated some light.

Forcing me to state the obvious is not enlightening.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information