Close

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Favorite recipes - upsidedown

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I love Olive Oil too. I make my own pizzas a lot. Nothing better than finishing them off with a really good Olive oil, or truffle oil before you pop it in the oven.

Phero Guru

I wish I could afford truffle oil!!! Olive oil is my mainstay. I\'m glad you guys mentioned the ill effects of margarine - I didn\'t know it was that bad but I hardly ever use it anyways. I didn\'t get to try Elana\'s recipe last night as my GF wanted seafood. Scallops were on sale so I bought a bunch - chicken will have to wait a bit.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    I wish I could afford truffle oil!!! Olive oil is my mainstay. I\'m glad you guys mentioned the ill effects of margarine - I didn\'t know it was that bad but I hardly ever use it anyways. I didn\'t get to try Elana\'s recipe last night as my GF wanted seafood. Scallops were on sale so I bought a bunch - chicken will have to wait a bit.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

So what did you do with the scallops?

An older woman once explained to me that she used margarine exclusively because it tasted so bad. If she used butter, she would gain 50 pounds in a few weeks. It sounded like the only good reason for using it.

Elana,

Truffles are reputed to be an extremely pheromone-rich food source.

Here\'s an article I found:

\"Love Root

Is the truffle an aphrodisiac? The fungus\'s fame for funneling the passions resulted largely from its shape. According to the Doctrine of Signatures, a plant\'s appearance betokened its medicinal attributes: truffles, with their knobby, roundish form, would give strength and stamina to a man\'s private parts.

The black truffle\'s penetrating aroma is also said to ooze promises of sexual delight. Epicureans liken the scent to that of the tousled sheets of a brothel bed. Bio chemists, drawing on a less exotic frame of reference, have identified the pheromone in truffles as the same type that makes male pigs alluring to sows.

Legend has it that the first being on the planet to devour truffles was a female wild boar. A farmer watched the sow dig up and eat the presumably poisonous underground fungi and waited patiently for her to die. Instead, she flew into a fit of passion and attracted so many lovesick suitors that the species began to proliferate in hot haste. Hoping to become fruitful and multiply, the story goes, the farmer sampled the magical tuber. His previously childless marriage reportedly gave rise to a brood of 13.

Indeed, long before human beings discovered truffles, wild pigs -- from which domestic swine are descended -- played a role in the life cycle of the fungi.

Misguided female boars would dig them up in fits of lust and scatter their spores throughout the forest. The irresistible pheromone, known as androstenol, is produced in the testicles and secreted in the saliva of the boar. This chemical sexual attractant transports the inamorata into a fever of unbridled passion. Interestingly, androstenol is also present in women\'s urine and secreted by men\'s armpit glands.

Whether truffles really have amatory powers is open to question. The poet\'s conviction that a whiff of the fungi will make you sizzle as a lover is balanced by the scientist\'s suspicion that they do the trick only for sows. -- S.U.\"

Here\'s the source:

http://www.paristempo.com/truffle2.html

Were you aware that you\'ve been spiking your pizzas with Androstenol? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Make mine with anchovies, and I\'ll let you have the Pepperoni! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oscar [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Guru

The scallops, well I was in a hurry so they got coated with Cajun seasoning then put into a very hot cast iron pan and were \"semi-blackened\". I still have a lot of them left. I do have a great recipe for them courtsy of Emerill and will post it perhaps tomorrow.

Make mine with anchovies, and I\'ll let you have the Pepperoni!

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Yeah baby! Make mine with hot sausage too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Very interesting article! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Thai cooking

Has anyone ever used this line?

http://www.atasteofthai.com/

It happens to be fantastic. I love their online recipes. I have made some fabulous dishes. This line is sold in most markets here in South Florida. If you find it, get some. The Panang curry base rocks!

Default Re: Thai cooking

No, never seen it. But will look for it now. Thanks for the lead.

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Thai cooking - just magic !

Elana,
    thanks for the link ! and though we, french people, are very proud of our food (sometimes I wonder why...), I\'m a real fan of thai food... it\'s delicious, very subtle, in a word : magic. It\'s worth all pheros in the world...
    Lao food is great too !

Phero Guru

Frenchie: Sep mach, mai? Lao food, mmmm mmmmmm good.

I am a big fan of Thai food as well. I just wish my friends felt the same way about it. It is difficult to get people to go with me to eat Thai. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am a big fan of Thai food as well. I just wish my friends felt the same way about it. It is difficult to get people to go with me to eat Thai. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

A couple of my clients are real fans of Thai food so I end up taking them to lunch a little more often than other clients. It\'s such a sacrifice to be forced to take my clients out to lunch at this little hole in the wall Thai place where you have to point at the menu because they don\'t speak much English. I have to force myself to enjoy their wonderful foods. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Poor Bel...that\'s so wrong that you have to feed your mouth with Pad Thai and other delicious, exotic food. Life is just not fair! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One must make all sorts of sacrifices for one\'s chosen profession. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

I looooooooooooove papaya salad! I tend to overdue it and eat to many of those green peppers.

Phero Guru

Som Tum Papaya - people in NE Thailand and Laos eat this neary every day. It takes some getting used to but with a bit of sticky rice it sure is gooooood. Have you tried Larb? (another Lao/NE Thai dish)

Phero Pro

Larb is actually one of my favorite dishes as well along with Chicken with mint leaves. My best friends in highschool was thai so I usually ate at thier house =P Soup if good to, the lemon grass adds a nice touch. (i forgot names of the soups). Pad Kee Mao is also good, I guess it\'s sorta like a spicey version of Pad See ew shrug Thai food can be sooo confusing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

I love this thread. Anybody got any special bread recipes?

Anything in particular you\'d like?

Have you ever tried replacing part of the white flour (about a third) with ground nuts? Pecans are good, so are pine nuts but you should toast them first. Add a quarter cup of honey and an egg. Increase the flour to compensate for the stickyness. Great for french toast or just eating fresh from the oven.

Phero Dude

A quick and easy sourdough recipe would be my request.

Bel, you have the best ideas!

If somebody has a quick and easy answer to sourdough I will be eternally grateful. As far as I know you can either make your own starter or, if thrice blessed by all the gods, find somebody who has an old starter they have been using for 50 years and are willing to share. I have never been so lucky.

Does anyone have a great recipe for portabello burgers? The Cheesecake Factory makes the best one I have had to date. I\'m sure the gobs of Chipotle mayo and cheese don\'t hurt the overall taste. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That sounds wonderful

and they toast the bun and rub garlic butter on it........

so damn good!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Banned User

Default Re: Favorite recipes

Mustardy Egg and Cucumber salad

You need:

French Dijon mustard - or any other light mustard
    Mayonnaise
    Spring Onion
    2 Eggs per person
    Cucumber
    Plus sliced red pepper, olives and other salad if you can be bothered

Method:

1. Hard boil the eggs, then cool immediately under the tap. Shell and halve.

2. In a dish, mix some mustard with plenty of mayonnaise, then grate (or finely chop) spring onions into mixture. Prepare salad - chop it up and arrange it nicely on a plate making a pleasing circular design, possibly making a bed of lettuce and arranging the cucumber slices into a pretty design around the outside, or something. Put the halved eggs in the middle.

3. Scoop mustard mix onto egg halves.

4. Serve outdoors with white wine, preferably when not raining otherwise it\'ll take forever to drink the wine.

(An alternative to the mustardy egg bit is to use prawns mixed into tomato ketchup and mayonnaise in a kind of seafood vibe.)

upsidedown

Bump.

This thread seems to have slowed down.

Anybody have any suggestions for something good I can fix myself for supper tonight? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bump.

This thread seems to have slowed down.

Anybody have any suggestions for something good I can fix myself for supper tonight? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Grilled mahi mahi and wild rice with asparagas.

Default What is for dinner tonight?

I really wanted to bump this up again.

I know it is only 7:43 AM, but I am always thinking about food. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What is everyone cooking for dinner tonight? If that is way too far in advance for you to even think about, what is for lunch, breakfast? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: What is for dinner tonight?

I think I am going to make a big pot of French Onion Soup. It\'s not a very summery dish, but it\'s so good. Maybe I\'ll serve it with a Caesar salad with my home made, garlicky croutons

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information