Close

Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast

Default Favorite recipes

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I got this out of Food and Wine (my all time favorite mag.)about 6-7 years ago. It is so simple to make, has very few ingredients, looks lovely and tastes fantastic. I serve it over pasta.

Honey-Rosemary Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
    4 SERVINGS

8 garlic cloves, sliced 1/8 inch thick
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 boneless chicken breast halves, with skin
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 pint cherry tomatoes
    Ten 4-inch fresh rosemary sprigs
    1 or 2 small dried hot chiles
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a 9-by-13-inch enameled cast-iron or glass baking dish, toss the garlic with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, or until sizzling but not browned.

2. Place the chicken on a sheet of wax paper, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper and spread with half of the honey. Remove the dish from the oven and push the garlic to the side. Arrange the chicken breasts in the hot dish, skin side up. Season with salt and pepper and spread with the remaining honey.

3. Surround the chicken with the cherry tomatoes, 6 of the rosemary sprigs and the dried chiles. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes, occasionally basting with the pan juices, until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken, tomatoes, and garlic to plates. Stir the vinegar into the baking dish and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish each serving with a rosemary sprig.

Banned User

Default Re: Favorite recipes

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Salt and freshly ground pepper

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Precisely one quarter tea-spoon of each.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

upsidedown

Here\'s the recipe I\'m best at preparing.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

Get two slices of bread.

Using a knife, spread peanut butter on one slice of bread. Spread jelly on the other slice of bread.

Place the two slices together with the peanut butter and the jelly on the inside of the sandwich.

The sandwich can be eaten whole, but it is usually a nice touch to cut the sandwich into two pieces. My preference is to cut the sandwich diagonally.

Here\'s the recipe for my lunch that I was preparing while typing this post. I\'ll copy the instructions off the side of the box.

Grilled Chicken Breast and Pasta.

Remove dinner from freezer.

Remove frozen dinner from the cardboard box.

Cut slit in center of film cover.

Microwave on HIGH 4 to 6 1/2 minutes.

Let stand 1 to 2 minutes in microwave oven.

CAREFULLY remove tray and film cover as PRODUCT WILL BE HOT; stir pasta before serving.

- - - - - - -

OK Elana, I\'m through hijacking your serious thread. Now that it\'s out of my system, it won\'t happen again.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]Poor, hungry USD. How about SRH and I cook you something really tasty for dinner. We will serve it to you in bed. Any special requests?

upsidedown

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]Poor, hungry USD. How about SRH and I cook you something really tasty for dinner. We will serve it to you in bed. Any special requests?

Your choice. Beggars can\'t be choosy.

I promise I won\'t complain no matter what you decide on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Default How about we start you with some delicious

CRAB WONTONS

8 oz. package cream cheese
    4 scallions minced
    1 LB. pasteurized Crab Meat
    Wonton Squares
    a few shakes of the Worcestershire sauce
    a few shakes of Tabasco
    salt, pepper

Mix everything together (minus the wontons) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Place a teaspoon of filling in center of wonton square. Moisten the four corners and fold in and seal.

Fry in oil @ about 375 until golden and crisp.
    <font color=\"purple\">Serve with Plum Sauce </font>

These are outstanding! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

upsidedown

Default Re: How about we start you with some delicious

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And look, you had an excuse to post another favorite recipe! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And look, you had an excuse to post another favorite recipe!

Ummmmmm....I kind of think that is the point of the thread. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

CRAB WONTONS

8 oz. package cream cheese
    4 scallions minced
    1 LB. pasteurized Crab Meat
    Wonton Squares
    a few shakes of the Worcestershire sauce
    a few shakes of Tabasco
    salt, pepper

Mix everything together (minus the wontons) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Place a teaspoon of filling in center of wonton square. Moisten the four corners and fold in and seal.

Fry in oil @ about 375 until golden and crisp.
    <font color=\"purple\">Serve with Plum Sauce </font>

I love you.

I\'ve been looking for a good wonton recipe. Thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Eventually, when I go home, I will post my fave recipes. Till then, I must work--probably late. *sigh*
    Feel sorry for me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Banned User

It\'s 2003 forget the kitchen girls.

I\'ve been looking for a good wonton recipe. Thanks!

You will love these. They are better than anything you get at Chinese restaurants. Get the good crab. It\'s expensive but makes a ton of filling. These can be fried and frozen too.

Ummmmmm plum sauce [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Guru

Shrimp Etouffee (the person who originated this used a microwave to cook everything). I\'ve adopted it for regular cooking.

Ingredients

1/4 cup margarine (butter)
    1/2 cup chopped green onion (scallions)
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    4 cloves minced garlic
    1/2 cup celery, diced (The pheromone connection)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (dried is fine, use less- perhaps a tablespoon)
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 pound cleaned shrimp
    salt to taste
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce to taste
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I prefer chipotle pepper powder and some Cajun seasoning, season according to your tastes)

Directions
    1. In a 2 quart microwave safe dish (any old pan will work , just make sure it\'s big enough to hold the stuff), combine margarine (butter), onion, green onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery. Heat on High (medium on a regular stove) settings for 8 to 9 minutes.
    2 Stir in parsley, tomato paste, soup, shrimp, salt, hot pepper sauce and cayenne. Heat on High setting (again, medium on the stovetop) for 5 minutes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until mixture thickens. Serve over white rice.

This is my review of the above recipe with suggested changes:

We love this one!!! Tastes great but admittedly, I kicked it up a bit by adding some Cajun seasoning and using chipotle seasoning instead of cayenne. I cooked this dish on the stove instead of the microwave (it scares me to microwave shrimp for 10 minutes!!) At any rate, I have a few tips to conserve money and ingredients. I don\'t use a lot of celery so I bought what I needed from a salad bar in the market (.37 cents versus $1.50 for a bunch of celery that will wind up in the garbage anyways)[well, maybe not anymore knowing what I\'ve learned on the forum]. Also, I use a toothpaste type squeeze thing of tomato paste (Amore Brand - supposedly the best) that\'s available usually at a supermarket near the other Italian sauces aisle - it costs more but saves you money in the long run as you keep what\'s unused in the fridge) . I use Thai rice as I prefer the taste (Nishan Brand, Jasmine that comes in a 4 lb sack and cooks up nicely if you follow the directions and is just about the right amount for this dish - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1Tbsp butter - rice brand usually available in supermarkets). The cooking times remained about the same - seems like a bit too long for the shrimp but keep in mind that the addition of the soup (don\'t add water to the soup!!) cools the other stuff down so 10 more minutes of cooking still left the shrimp tender. We loved this so much we made it two nights in a row. The first night we had shrimp and large sea scallops (1 Lb total) and the second we had it with shrimp, large sea scallops, and swordfish cut into bite-size pieces (again, 1 Lb total) and substituted Cream of Shrimp soup. We both thought it was somewhat better with Cream of Chicken - also, used butter and not margarine as indicated in the original recipe. You can cook the rice first and just let it simmer while you do the other dish, pretty easy all in all after you get the vegetables chopped up and this dish is plenty for two people but if you are like us, it will be finished except maybe for a bit of rice.

Elana, will make your rosemary chicken dish sometime early next week. My ex used to make those wonton things with canned salmon and they were delicious, much better than the usual Chinese restaurant fare but I have tried to do it myself without success so I\'ll try your way also sometime soon - thanks!!!!

Phero Guru

Default Tallmacky.......

It might be 2003 but after you meet the woman of your dreams by using pheromones you better have something else up your sleeve to keep her - being a great cook is a big plus in everyone\'s mind, male or female!!!! My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

Default Re: Tallmacky.......

My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

I agree with that. There is something special about a person that has a deep passion for food and sex. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Banned User

I like Burger King sometimes, that\'s where I pick up all the fine ladies.

My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

I agree with that. There is something special about a person that has a deep passion for food and sex. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmmmmmmm...about 15 yrs. experience as a pro chef...Hmmmmmmm... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Dinner at my place, ladies? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I\'ll pull something special from the cellar.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hmmmmmmmm...about 15 yrs. experience as a pro chef...Hmmmmmmm... Dinner at my place, ladies? I\'ll pull something special from the cellar....

Sounds excellent.....just invite Bel to make dessert and we have the perfect evening.

Sagacious1420- post a recipe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here\'s the recipe for my lunch that I was preparing while typing this post. I\'ll copy the instructions off the side of the box.

Grilled Chicken Breast and Pasta.

Remove dinner from freezer.

Err, does it really say \"Remove dinner from freezer\" on the box? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This is what I was preparing:

Sardine Salad Surprise!

2 handfuls of mixed leafy greens from packet
    1 tin of sardines
    Salad dressing. Any kind. LOTS of it. (I just used balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

Tastes like crap.

But those were the only ingredients I had left in my kitchen. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

PS: The \"surprise\" is that I actually ate it.

Hungry

Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on? If that\'s all you\'ve got, you will be eating your sardine salad alone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Elana-
    Don\'t worry...I\'ll post a couple of things. I gotta hunt down the right box of discs. Maybe tomorrow. It\'s very late and I\'ve had a very long and bizarre day. But that\'s a story for another day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on?

Actually, I think I have a stick of salami lying around somewhere. It\'s the hot kind. Do you like a hot salami, Elana? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hungry

Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on?

Actually, I think I have a stick of salami lying around somewhere. It\'s the hot kind. Do you like a hot salami, Elana? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hungry

That sounds great....or we could BBQ. We\'ll need a steel rod so I can make beef Kababs. Do you have a steel rod, Hungry?

We\'ll need a steel rod so I can make beef Kababs. Do you have a steel rod, Hungry?

I can supply both the steel rod, and the beef. Dripping with plenty of tasty sauce.

What will you bring, Elana?

Hungry

Hungry...you are getting me very hungry.

We may have to continue the menu planning by PM. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great on a cold blustery day:
    Seafood Chowder:

2 8 ounce cans of baby long neck clams, finely minced. Seperate the juice and reserve aside.

Dredge clams in plenty of flour.

In a large heavy pot heat 4 tablespoons olive oil until it smells good, sauté the clams until the flour starts to brown.

Add 1 chopped large yellow onion and continue to sauté until onion starts to become clear.

Mix clam juice with enough light broth (chicken) to make 3 cups liquid amd add to pot. Stir thoroughly being careful to get all the stuff off the bottom.

Add
    2-3 stalks sliced celery
    5-6 medium young white potatos, diced small
    1 medium carrot, diced
    Approximately 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons tyme.
    Enough milk to completely cover other ingredients

cover and simmer slowly over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Check and stir frequently, burns very easily!

Add 1/4 pound 30-40 count deviened and cleaned shrimp and 8 ounces small sliced portabello mushrooms.
    Return to boil.
    Add 1/2 pound cod or other white fish, cut into bite size cubes.
    Return to boil
    Add 1/4 pound small to medium scallops.
    Return to boil.

Season to taste.

If you need to add more milk to insure all ingredients are covered, add slowly between other additions. If it needs thickening, use cornstarch.

Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. covered. Best served with hot sour dough bread.

It\'s 2003 forget the kitchen girls.

Cooking is high art, much like sex is. Most women who are great cooks are wonderful lovers. I hope the same applies to male cooks.

Of course if you like fast food, that\'s up to you. Ugh! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Elana,
    Just for you. You\'ll need good curry powder, not the crud they sell in the grocery stores.

1 pound fresh lamb cut into pieces about the size of the end of your thumb.

Sprinkle meat heavily with curry powder then roll in flour. Saute in olive oil until it starts to brown. Add 3/4 of a medium chopped onion and cook another few minutes.

Add two cups light broth, 2 stalks celery, 5-6 cloves minced garlic, one teaspoon fresh ground pepper and a couple teaspoons curry powder. Simmer covered about 10-15 minutes.

Peel, remove seeds and dice 1 large cucumber and add to broth. Simmer covered about 30 minutes until the meat is tender. Thicken with rue as needed and add more curry powder to taste.

When simmering, check and stir as needed but keep the lid on as much as possible to retain the smell.

Serve over white rice.

OMG!!!! YOU ARE SO THE MAN!!!
    I bet that\'s what I am looking for. It is so far off from anything I have tried.

THANK YOU! I\'ll try it this weekend and let you know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OMG!!!! YOU ARE SO THE MAN!!!
    I bet that\'s what I am looking for. It is so far off from anything I have tried.

THANK YOU! I\'ll try it this weekend and let you know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It works well with Chicken or shrimp too. For shrimp, instead of putting the shrimp in at the beginning, add it the last ten minutes.

I hope you enjoy it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information