Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Journeyman

Default Re: What is for dinner tonight?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I\'ll be posting some of my recipes soon. IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine... I just found this thread, otherwise I would be staying here for life... I dig cooking big time, but I have to scoot now for a couple of hours.

I\'m going to someone else\'s house for supper tonight. We\'re having a version of rotel chicken I\'ve never heard of. Doritos are involved, and I am intrigued...

I will really try to post some decent supper-type recipes soon. I just keep forgetting, or have no time when I remember. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">
    YUMMY! I love Cuban food. Here in Miami we some fantastic Cuban restaurants. Do you have a Picadillo recipe that includes raisons or prunes?

We\'re having a version of rotel chicken I\'ve never heard of. Doritos are involved

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Oh my! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Me either, Exit. I love moussaka. My Mom made a truckload for a party she once had. We ate leftovers for weeks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] That was about 15 years ago. I think I am ready to have it again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That sounds good. I\'ll have to try it next weekend.

Journeyman

Elana

My picadillo is \"a la habanera\" so it includes raisins, capers and green olives. I\'ll post the recipe later on.

===

Tonight I\'m preparing a chicken, mango and avocado salad, with coriander, lemon grass, lime juice and the seeds of the papaya I had for lunch. It\'s too hot in London right now to be cooking something. I roasted the chicken last night, so I only have to shred it now and mix with the other ingredients. I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio in the fridge.

My picadillo is \"a la habanera\" so it includes raisins, capers and green olives. I\'ll post the recipe later on.

Yeah baby! That\'s what I want. I used to have a recipe that I took from a Puerto Rican cookbook. It was for empanada filling (I just made the picadilla filling), and it was the best ever. I lost the recipe and have been searching ever since. I loved that perfect sweet flavor from the raisins with the saltines of the capers. It was balanced so perfectly. I hope that yours is similar. many of the ones I see have potatoes. This one did not.

Please post your mango chicken recipe when you get a chance.

IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine...

Are you really?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Holmes

Here in Miami we some fantastic Cuban restaurants.

Yes, indeed you do! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You guys also have a (reportedly) amazing Brazilian place that I\'m intent on trying next time I\'m down that way...

Holmes

Journeyman

Holmes

I dig Brazilian food. What is the name of that restaurant in Miami?

No.0,

The one I\'m referring to is called \"Porcao.\" Looks like it might be a bit of a splurge, but probably worth it. Some Brazilian friends who live in Miami recommended it. I can\'t wait to go!

The Brazilian places we frequent here in NY are decidedly a little lower in scale, but they\'re great and, consequently, always crowded (read: lively)... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Holmes

Journeyman

Elana

Yesterday I rubbed a chicken with some lemon, crushed garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before spreading it with butter, melted at room temp. Roasted on a medium oven. When it cooled down I put it on the fridge.

This evening I shredded it, and mix it with chunks of mango (not too ripe) and avocado, and tossed it with very thinly chopped white onion, coriander (cilantro), lemongrass, papaya seeds, a pinch of salt and white sugar, lemon juice, a dash of dry sherry (Tio Pepe) and a little dash of olive oil.

I want to lose weight (I have to/I am) so I\'m not having any carbs after 5PM. I guess it\'s nice with roasted sweet potatoes dressed with a souer-sweet alioli, and chicken croquettes.

Well, for tomorrows lunch I am going to make a cold chicken peas (garbanzo) salad, with chopped tomatoes, oregano, coriander, white onion and mint. Dressed with a \"vinagrette\" made with some lemon, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, Dijon mustard and olive oil, to which I will add some chunks of grilled spicy merguez.

I LOVE LONDON!

Journeyman

I forgot to say that because it\'s lunch I can had a couple of toasted pitta bread with a little bit of hummus, which I\'m going to make myself. That\'s why I\'m now boiling some chick peas.

Dinner might well be just a plain herbs and greens salad with a selection of cold meats. I have to go to this Italian deli tomorrow afternoon, so I might come home with lots of nice things... and have to control myself and not buy their almond sweeties.

A friend gave me this recipe and I tried it tonight. It was excellent.

1 Pound large scallops cut into bite size pieces
    2 6.5 oz cans of minced clams
    6-7 1.5\" sliced portabello mushrooms
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    7 cloves minced garlic
    1.5 cups chopped parsley
    Light broth (chicken)
    1/4 lb Butter

seperate the clams from the juice and set the juice aside.
    Dredge the scallops in flour.
    Melt the butter in a skillet and add the scallops.
    Saute until they start to brown.
    Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for one minute.
    Dredge the clams in flour.
    Add the garlic and clams and cook for another minute.
    Mix enough light broth with the clam juice to make 2 cups liquid, pour over scallops and bring to a boil, stirring often.
    Boil for about one minute, stir in 1/4 cup dry white wine.
    return to a boil, stir in the parsely and remove from heat.

You can add pepper to taste.

Serve over linquine noodles.

I wish that I could get excited over scallops, but I am just not a fan of seafood. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What else is cooking, people?

SRH...how was your Dorito casserole?

oooh, it was really good actually. And I got the recipe, but I have no idea where I put it.

I\'ve got a good, simple mac-n-cheese recipe if you want that. Only simple food around here. Nothing faincy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ve got a good, simple mac-n-cheese recipe if you want that.

Post it! Love that comfort food [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mac-n-Cheese Made Simple--and horribly fattening

1 lb. package sharp cheddar cheese
    1 lb. bag elbows or shells pasta
    2% milk
    butter

Boil the pasta till tender in salted water. Shred all the cheese and put a good layer across the bottom of a casserole dish. Add the pasta to within about half-inch of the top of the sides. Add milk till it\'s almost even with the pasta. Add 3-4 pads of butter randomly around top. Salt and pepper. Then add the rest of the shredded cheese on top, making sure it\'s generously covered. Put in the oven at 350F until the milk starts to bubble and the cheese starts to brown.
    Let sit a few minutes on the stove, then serve. (It\'s great the first night, but even better the next day.)

and horribly fattening

Then you know that it\'s gotta be good.

I\'ll make it, but I am going to use Skim rather than 2%. That\'s all I ever have in the house. I don\'t think it will make much of a difference with all of that butter and cheese

It might be a little runny with the skim, I think. But try it and see.

It might be a little runny with the skim,

I know how to handle that......add lots more cheese [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Doesn\'t that defeat the purpose of the skim??? lol

That\'ll fix it, I\'m sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]I am so not anti fat. I am just too lazy to go out and buy the 2%. I already have all the other ingredients.

Phero Dude

Default Tomato and cheese pasta soup & mozzarella tomatoes

Ooooo, I\'ve got a good one! I very rarely cook, so this is one of the few that I know. I\'ll apologize in advance for the lack of measurements (I just sort of throw stuff in until it smells good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )...

Tomato and cheese pasta soup:

Ingredients:
    Small shell pasta
    Lots of chicken stock
    Some basil, salt (I use sea salt), rosemary, thyme (feel free to add whatever spices you like)
    Some finely chopped green onions and white onions, as well as a couple cloves of pressed garlic
    Olive Oil
    Can of tomato paste
    Lots and lots of shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better!)

Procedure:
    Saute spices, onions, and garlic in olive oil, in a large pot until aroma is savory (a few minutes)
    Add chicken stock and set heat to high or med-high
    Once the broth starts a light boil, add cheese and tomato paste (I only use about 3/4 of a small can of paste), and stir frequently. Feel free to add tomato chunks for texture and taste if desired (I abhor cooked tomatoes, so I leave them out).
    Cover and simmer.

Cook the pasta until al dente (still slightly firm), and add to broth. Simmer for a few minutes, or until the pasta is ready. Serve!

You can control the soup to pasta ratio as desired- I like to have a large amount of pasta. A friend, for whom I recently made this, recommended cooking the pasta *in* the broth (after it\'s been seasoned of course) to help the pasta retain some of the soup\'s flavor. I haven\'t tried this yet, so LMK how it goes if you end up trying it both ways.

Mozzarella tomatoes

Ingredients:
    One whole juicy tomato, sliced thickly
    Sliced mozzarella cheese (not the singly wrapped kind- get the good, gourmet kind. It makes a difference!!)
    Basil and salt (again, I use sea salt)

Procedure:
    Place tomato slices on a pan and salt (and basil if you like) lightly.
    Cover each with a mozzarella slice
    Add a little more salt and basil on top of the cheese, and cook lightly until the cheese starts to melt.
    Remove from oven and serve.

This meal goes especially well with couscous also. Anyway, that\'s the limit of my expertise (I can make a hell of a mojito though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). Enjoy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Default Re: Tomato and cheese pasta soup & mozzarella tomatoes

A nice simple one. The lady who gave it to me claims it is the original buffalo wings recipe but I don\'t know. They are good though.

In a shallow pan place as many chicken wing sections as possible in a single layer. You want them tightly packed, it comes out better.

Melt one stick of butter (1/4 lb) with a whole bottle (5 oz) of tabasco sauce. Mix well then use the whole batch to baste the wings.

Bake about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, turning once.

You can add more or less tabasco sauce depending on taste. This ratio has a moderate bite.

Default Re: Tomato and cheese pasta soup & mozzarella tomatoes

Bel...that recipe is very popular on the low carb forums. I have never tried it, but people rave about them. I believe they have zero carbs for those Atkins fans. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Diet

Bel...that recipe is very popular on the low carb forums. I have never tried it, but people rave about them. I believe they have zero carbs for those Atkins fans. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Despite it going against everything I thought I knew about diet and nutrition, those Atkins people seem to be onto a good thing. There have been a lot of research articles in the past couple years that indicate a low carb/high fat diet is better for your overall health than the low fat/high carb ones. Is there anybody out there with some personal experience? I am not interested in weight loss but cholesteral and heart desease are important.

Default Re: Diet

The South Beach diet is a healthier version of Atkins. It is the \"new\" best diet around. I have low carbed. It works too well. I got down to two digits on this diet. It\'s not my style of eating either, but there is no question about if it works or not.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information