Default Re: Favorite recipes

visit-red-300x50PNG

Phero Guru

Default Re: How about we start you with some delicious

ok, what do you call the dish with the curry powder? thanks

upsidedown

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Err, does it really say \"Remove dinner from freezer\" on the box? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

OK, so I added a few instructions to the directions a bit. It is so important to prepare this meal correctly, I didn\'t want to leave open the possibility that anybody could make a mistake. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Elana, the CRAB WONTONS you fixed me were excellent! You\'re an excellent cook! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Guru

Default Re: Favorite recipes - upsidedown

no, laughing, not you Upsidedown. I\'m looking for a recipe put out by Sunset books about 10 years or thereabouts ago for Pineapple Upsidedown cake. I\'ve even called Sunset Publishing and they really tried to help me to no avail. Anyone know of it?

Ah. I was going to post a curry recipe, but I see Bel got there first. I often make curry with goat. If you haven\'t tried it, it\'s a little milder than lamb, and quite interesting.

Hmmm. I just made oxtail soup -

I make this rather often, but this is the first time I have tried it with a crock-pot to precook the oxtails. It turned out well.

Put 2-4 pounds of beef oxtails into a crock-pot (depending on the size of the crock-pot). Oxtails are running $4 a pound here, so I used two pounds of oxtail and 4 pounds of beef bones. Add one thinly sliced onion, a couple of minced cloves of garlic, some salt and pepper, and a bay leaf. Add beer to barely cover the meat. Cover, set to low, let it simmer all day. I started the night before as I was going to bed, and let it cook on low until the next evening. You can’t really overcook it.

The next evening…

In a 5-quart Dutch oven, soften two thinly sliced onions in a little olive oil. Slice two stalks of celery and two carrots and add to the pot when the onions are soft. Let them cook slowly. Add more minced garlic if desired. I added two dried red pepper pods.

While the veggies are cooking, remove the meat from the crock-pot, de-bone it, add it to the soup pot. Add all the bones to the soup pot. Pour the liquids from the crock-pot into a measuring cup, use a turkey baster to extract the juices from under the fat. There will be plenty of fat. Dispose of it. Add the meat juices to the soup pot.

Add herbs to the soup pot – I like fresh rosemary and basil. Add water and/or beer to cover everything, plus an inch or so (depends on the pot). Add a good handful of orzo or other small pasta.

Cover, simmer until the pasta is well cooked and the veggies are tender. Remove the bones, check for seasoning, and serve in large bowls.

Default Re: How about we start you with some delicious

ok, what do you call the dish with the curry powder? thanks

Lamb curry or, of you prefer curried lamb. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bassman:

Sounds great, I\'ll have to try it. Here\'s another good one.

Beer can chicken.

This sounds odd, and looks kind of obscene but is delicious.

Take a 12 oz can of beer, open and allow to get flat and warm. Pour off about half of it. Use a church key to make several more holes in the top. Sprinkle in a couple tablespoon of seasoning, I like Zaterains &lt;sp?&gt; Cajun spice.

Clean a medium size roasting chicken and liberally sprinkle the same spice in the body cavity and on the skin of the chicken. Carefully slide the beer can into the body cavity of the chicken so the chicken is standing upright on the beer can. Place on the barbeque away from direct heat and leave for about two hours. I usually smoke it using hickory or pecan wood for the best flavor.

Wonderful flavor and the meat just falls off the bones.

Phero Guru

I think Elana has created a monster here - good!!!!

I think Elana has created a monster here - good!!!!

I hope so! Cooking and good sex are two of the finest things in life.

Hey Bassman-

Curried Goat is a Carribean classic! Not surprising that you are familiar w/ it, since you live in Florida. Lots of multicultural influences in Carribean cuisine. Ever eaten at Allen Susser\'s restuarant, Chef Allen\'s, in N. Miami Beach? Undisputed king of cuisine Caribe, here in the US. I highly recommend it to anyone! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK, Elana,

Here ya go...I wrote this one while doing culinary consulting for Joseph Phelps Vineyards. This was developed to go w/ their \'98 Syrah (highest rated American Syrah, ever BTW). It\'s very simple and very yummy!

1998 Joseph Phelps Vineyards Syrah, Napa Valley

Maple Glazed Salmon with Wild Rice and Roasted Asparagus
    Serves: 6

To Prepare the Wild Rice:
    1. Prepare the wild rice according to package directions. Plan on about 45 minutes cooking time.
    2. If you don’t have cooking directions, just be sure to use 4 parts liquid to 1 part wild rice, bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. I prefer to use equal parts chicken broth and water. I also like to begin by sauteing some diced Spanish (yellow) onion and add some good quality jarred Spanish Pimiento, diced...Spanish products are preferred and jarred is better than canned, but canned will work if you can\'t get Spanish Pimiento. Once the rice is done, simply cover the pan tightly w/ plastic wrap and put it on the burner (power off) above your oven vent. This should keep it plenty warm, if you need to wait a bit for the salmon and/or asparagus to finish. Of course, if you time everything correctly, this shouldn\'t be necessary.

To Prepare The Salmon:
    Salmon Fillets, 8 oz. portions, 6 each
    Pure Maple Syrup, 4 fl. oz.
    Gray Sea Salt, to taste
    Cayenne Pepper, to taste, about a Pinch
    White Pepper, fresh ground, to taste
    Ground Allspice, to taste, about a Pinch

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Meanwhile, combine the maple syrup, cayenne and allspice; mix well and reserve.
    2. Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Season both sides of the salmon with sea salt and white pepper. Place the salmon fillets, evenly spaced, into the hot pan with the skin side up. Sear for 3-5 minutes or until a nice golden crust forms: press gently with a spatula to achieve an even sear. Note: Do not move the fish until you get a crust – the meat will release from the pan on it\'s own, when it’s time to turn the fillets.
    3. Next, turn the salmon fillets, brush each fillet with the maple glaze and place the pan in the oven to finish; brush with the maple glaze every 2-3 minutes until done, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the fillets with a little more sea salt and reserve warm.
    Note: If you don’t have a non-stick pan be sure to use some vegetable oil to coat the pan.

To Prepare the Asparagus:
    Fresh Asparagus, trimmed to 4-5” lengths, 1 lb.
    Vegetable Oil, as needed
    Black Pepper, fresh ground, to taste
    Hickory Smoked Bacon, 6 strips
    Salt, to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat the asparagus in the oil and season.
    2. Cut the bacon strips in half. Lay 2 half-strips about 2” apart and place a bundle of 5-6 sprigs of asparagus in the center of the strips. Overlap the ends of the bacon strips and transfer the bundle to a baking dish or small sheet pan, with the overlapped sides down.
    3. Place the pan in a hot oven and roast for about 10-15 minutes. Reserve warm.

For Service:
    1. Place a bundle of roasted asparagus onto each warm dinner plate, with the tips pointing to the 4 o’clock position and the root end toward the center of the plate.
    2. Spoon about ½ cup of wild rice over the root end of each asparagus bundle, in the center of the plate.
    3. Lean a salmon fillet over the rice with the fish resting on the plate in the direction of the 6 o’clock position.
    4. Feel free to spoon any of the remaining glaze over each salmon fillet if you like.
    5. Serve at once.

OK, one more real quick then I gotta run!

Poached Lobster with Two Sauces
    Serves: 6

Whole lobster, live preferred 3 each

Saffron Sauce:
    Dry white wine, 2 fl. oz.
    Saffron, 1 pinch
    Fish fumet (stock), 2 cups
    Heavy cream, 4 fl. oz.
    Sea Salt, to taste
    White pepper, to taste

Ginger –Lime Sauce:
    Ginger root, grated, 2 tsp
    Lime juice, fresh, to taste, 2 Tbsp
    Dry white wine, 2 fl. oz.
    Fish fumet (stock), 2 cups
    Heavy cream, 4 fl. oz
    Sea salt, to taste
    White pepper, to taste

Garnish:
    Chives, cut into 1”-2” lengths, 5-6 each

For the Saffron Sauce:
    1. Combine the wine, saffron, fish fumet and cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and reduce by ½ or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Reserve warm.

Note: Sea salt is much stronger than table salt or kosher salt, so use it with some restraint.

For the Ginger-Lime Sauce:
    1. Combine the ginger root, lime juice, wine and cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and reduce by ½ or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Reserve warm.

For the Lobster:
    1. Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the live lobster headfirst into the boiling water.
    2. When the water returns to a boil, simmer 6-8 minutes for a 1 pound lobster.
    Note: Do Not Overcook the lobster or the meat will be tough.
    3. When fully cooked, turn off the fire and remove the lobster from the water. Reserve the cooking liquid, you may need it later. Allow the lobster to sit for a 2-3 minutes to cool slightly. Next Remove the claws, bend the little pincher back until it comes loose. Pull the pincher straight out and the long, flat cartilage attached to the pincher will come out with it. Next cut open claw with kitchen shears, running from the bottom of the claw to where the pincher was located.
    Note: Just imagine if you were to cut from your wrist up to the first knuckle of the thumb and you get the idea. You may want to use a towel when handling the lobster, it should still a little hot.
    Next, pry open the shell and the claw meat will easily slip out the shell
    4. Now remove the tails from the body and split each down the center with a very sharp chef’s (aka, French) knife. Remove the “vein” running along the top of the tail, rinse well under hot water.
    5. At this point the lobster meat may need to be warmed through; just drop it back in the cooking liquid briefly. Whether this step is needed or not, be sure that you pat the meat dry before plating. This is important, so don’t forget or your sauce won’t adhere to the meat properly.

For Service:
    1. Place about 1-2 fl. oz. (i.e., 2-4 Tbsp) of the ginger-lime sauce in the center of a warm 6”-8” appetizer plate. Beginning in the center and working outward toward the rim, move the spoon in circles until you’ve created a 3”-4” circular sauce pool in the center of the plate.
    2. Place a half tail piece in the center of the ginger-lime sauce. The tail meat will curl up into a nice, rather tight round shape as a result of the cooking process. Place one piece of claw meat resting on top of the tail meat. Spoon 1-2 fl. oz. of the saffron sauce over the lobster meat to coat well. Sprinkle the chive batonnes (aka, sticks) randomly over the dish.
    3. Serve Immediately.

Note: Fish Fumet should be available at you upscale grocery store or at your local Dean &amp; Deluca store. If you have trouble locating a Dean &amp; Deluca store in your area, look them up at www.ddny.com

Ever eaten at Allen Susser\'s restuarant, Chef Allen\'s, in N. Miami Beach? Undisputed king of cuisine Caribe,

I am drooling! These all look amazing!

I love Allen Susser. I worship that culinary genius. I honor him by dining at Chef Allen\'s at least once a month. It is my all time favorite restaurant in South Florida. Even better than Mark\'s Place.

I honor him by dining at Chef Allen\'s at least once a month. It is my all time favorite restaurant in South Florida.

Bragger! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ll post one or two of his recipes for you in the near future. I got to cook w/ Allen once...he was a guest chef. Pretty cool guy.

Actually I\'ve been fortunate to cook along side some heavy hitters in the culinary world. It\'s a very humbling experience. For example, I learned to make Beouf Bourgignone from Paul Bocuse...you know...the star that shines brightest in the gastronomical capital of the universe, Lyonne, France.

I had the winemaker at Joseph Phelps ask me to prepare some bourgignone for he and his crew, once. Phillipe Pessereau, their head viticulturist (trained at Ch. Petrus), was beside himself...said it was the best he\'d ever had in his life. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] When I told him that all the credit goes to Bocuse, he was stunned and amazed that I actually had a chance to cook w/ such a superstar chef. I have to agree w/ him! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Phero Guru

I continue to be amazed at what a diverse and intelligent group of people are on this board.

I continue to be amazed at what a diverse and intelligent group of people are on this board.

Thank you

Thank you

Exit...your pork roll sounds delish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    :::insert barfing guy::::

I just got myself a countertop rotisserie. I haven\'t used it yet, because I don\'t want to unpack it from its box until I move into the new house. I can\'t wait to use it. Since I am so unfamiliar with rotisserie cooking, I picked up a cookbook last night. I had no idea they were so versatile.

Bel- Have you ever made Game hen with a rotisserie? I bet they come out amazing.

If anyone has any rotisserie tips or recipes, please share.

Boneless lag of lamb, marinated in red wine, garlic, pepper and salt is wonderful on a rotisserie. be sure to baste frequently. Game hens should be easy. Try rubbing with a mix of minced garlic and rosemary then brush with lightly salted olive oil.

Boneless lag of lamb, marinated in red wine, garlic, pepper and salt is wonderful on a rotisserie. be sure to baste frequently. Game hens should be easy. Try rubbing with a mix of minced garlic and rosemary then brush with lightly salted olive oil.

And don\'t forget kids...the first thing you marinate is the chef...and don\'t forget to baste frequently! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Got any red wine...I feel like cookin\'! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Is anyone hungry...no that\'s not w/ a capital H, Hungry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Beer can chicken.

This is the absolute best thing you can do with a can of beer and a chicken! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(The other things involve a live chicken and are all illegal.)

Hungry

Bel\'s suggestion for lamb sounds good, but my favourite is the traditional Greek way.

Cut deep slits all around the lamb and insert slivers of garlic.

Rub with a mix of salt, pepper and oregano.

Regularly baste with a mix of olive oil and lemon juice.

Hungry

Bel\'s suggestion for lamb sounds good, but my favourite is the traditional Greek way.

Cut deep slits all around the lamb and insert slivers of garlic.

Rub with a mix of salt, pepper and oregano.

Regularly baste with a mix of olive oil and lemon juice.

Hungry

Add to that:

Smoke over applewood until medium rare.

And don\'t forget kids...the first thing you marinate is the chef...and don\'t forget to baste frequently! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Got any red wine...I feel like cookin\'! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ok, let\'s look at this post how *I* read it the first time--no coffee this am:

And don\'t forget KIDS!!!!!

(The first thing you marinate is the chef.)

Don\'t forget to marinate frequently. &lt;---The kids???

Sounds like you wanted to get the chef drunk and cook children. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    That\'s just not right!

what sides go good with BBQ 7 year olds?

This is one I got from a friend and have adapted a bit to fit my tastes. As you can tell from the ingredients, this is excessively bad for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It\'s also really easy to make.

brown rice
    2 lbs. crawfish tails (you can get them already cooked)
    1 red onion, chopped
    greens from 1 bunch scallions, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 pint (or so) half and half
    butter
    4 fish fillets (catfish, orange roughy...)
    blackening seasoning
    cayenne pepper
    salt
    cajun seasoning

Heat up your grill to about medium.

Put your brown rice on to boil.

In a large skillet, sautee the bell pepper, onion, and scallions in butter, with a little salt and pepper. Stir in the crawfish tails and continue to cook till warmed through. Pour in a ton of your favorite cajun seasonings, or you can just use the cajun seasoning you buy at the store. It\'s not hot enough for me, so I usually add a good bit of cayenne pepper as well. (I can\'t tell you how much to use, but I generally coat everything pretty well.) Add the half and half till everything is covered and continue to cook till it\'s hot. Remeber, the milk will neutralize some of the \'heat\' from the cajun seasoning, so add extra to account for this. This is the sauce, but it\'s really good to eat as a \'soup\' on it\'s on if you\'re lazy or end up with extra.

Take the fish fillets and coat them with butter and blackening seasoning, and put them on the grill. Cook as usual. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This is best served if you make a bed of the brown rice, but the grilled blacked fish on top of the rice, and pour the sauce over the top.

Forgive me if the directions seem a little vague. I tend to \'eyeball\' my spices and amounts.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    That\'s just not right!

what sides go good with BBQ 7 year olds?

Potato salad and cole slaw! What were you thinking?????

Another good, but excessively bad for you recipe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Buffalo Chip Cookies (1 batch)

1 c. margarine
    1 c. shortening (or can just use 2 c. margarine)
    1 lb. light brown sugar
    2 c. granulated sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs

Mix well.

In a LARGE separate bowl:
    1 c raisins
    1 c. chopped pecans
    1 c. coconut (I usually leave this out)
    4 c. plain flour
    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 (6 oz) pkg choc. chips
    (optional also: 1 (6oz) pkg peanut butter or butterscotch chips)
    2 c oatmeal
    2 c. Corn Flakes/Product 19/Rice Crispies (I like corn flakes best)

Add first mixture to the second and mix everything well. Minimum 1/4 c ball of dough per cookie (Yes, it says 1/4 cup per cookie.). Bake at 350F for 13-15 min (takes longer in my oven). Cool completely before storing. Makes 36-40 cookies.

These are HUGE cookies. Best made for Christmas goodies, or when you have a lot of hungry men to feed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Exit...your pork roll sounds delish.
    :::insert barfing guy::::

I got news for you baby...My Moonburger will kick your ass! (that\'s why I shouldn\'t grill them rare! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Very interessting that some ppl talking about some other too - more than just those stuff *smile*

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information