Close

Phero Dude

Default Stroke Rehabilitation/SS/Medicare Advice

visit-red-300x50PNG
    A friend of mine\'s mother had a stroke a few weeks ago (her mother is 79), and I\'m trying to collect a variety of information for her. The stroke was classified as \"moderate\" and affected the right brain. It involved clotting (not bleeding) and was not \"cortex\". Do you guys know of any good sites for information about stroke rehabilitation, specifically targeted to older people? She\'ll also be needing therapy, and Kayleen (that\'s my friend) has no idea what kind of therapy might be most effective. She\'s also interested in getting a neurological psychological assessment (I think there might be a spelling error in there somewhere) since her mother seems to be having judgement and memory issues. Her mother is covered through Arizona\'s state insurance via the Maricora AHCCS plan. I need to contact them to find out specifics about primary care physicians, what\'s covered (like home care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, equipment, etc), so if anyone has any experience with this particular plan or knows anything about it I would *really* appreciate your input! She\'s also trying to get her mother set up for social security and medicare benefits, so any information you guys could give about going about that would be great (like contact numbers or website or advice on dealing with the system). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, in essence, *anything* you want to share about strokes and rehabilitation of them, Arizona Maricora AHCCS insurance, Social Security, and Medicare will be *GREATLY* appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Banned User

Default Re: Stroke Rehabilitation/SS/Medicare Advice

I want to mention an incident about strokes.It happened to a family member aged 48. On a certain trip suddenly he complained that he could not see.But this condition went away after a while and he continued on his journey.Two weeks later he \"mentioned\" it casually to his son who started thinking, and he took him to the hospital.It turned out to be a stroke, operated on and a blood clot of about an inch was removed from one of his neck veins.

He was saved, in the nick of time.

Strokes are very nasty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ummmmmmmm Brains [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

Thanks for the links, Exit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So...How\'s she doin?

Phero Dude

She\'s back at home now, although Kayleen (my friend) is pretty much taking care of her at the moment. She seems to be doing well, although she does exhibit some of the typical post-stroke symptoms... short-term memory loss, language (word usage) issues, etc. She\'s definitely got a good bit of recovery/therapy to do, but it could definitely have been worse. Kayleen is now in the process of applying for Medicare and SS, so hopefully that will be taken care of soon and will be one less burden for her. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for asking.

I wish them both the best. Be a good friend for Kayleen because she\'s under a lot of stress right now. I\'m sure it is extremely frustrating for her (for both of them) to have to deal with this. God Bless her and her mom. And let\'s hope she recovers quickly.

Thread Information