Close

Thread: Melatonin

Journeyman

Default Melatonin

visit-red-300x50PNG
    hey, I know some of you have used melatonin in the past and i just wanted to get your feedback on my latest experience.

So i was at the drug store killing some time, lookin at the supplements, and saw twinlab\'s 1mg melatonin caps, remembering some things i had heard about it on this forum. Anyway, i thought what the hell, might as well try the stuff since i have been having trouble getting to sleep lately.

I read some other stuff on the internet and read that it should be taken about 1 hour before you go to sleep, and that it wouldn\'t leave you groggy in the morning. So, i took 1 mg at 1:30 and hit the sack at 2:30.

Now six hours is generally my ideal sleep time, the best that feels to me personally, so luckily i was planning on waking up at 8:30 for a chemistry final exam. I woke up fine, but felt groggy as HELL all day even though I was hopped up on 20mg adderall, 10mg vinpocetine, and 300-some choline. I took a two hour nap that afternoon, which usually wouldn\'t affect my ability to fall asleep.

But last night, when i hit the sack at 1:45, it took me a full 2 hours and 15 min to fall asleep!

Could 1mg of melatonin have affected my biological clock so adversly that my natural production was high during the day yesterday and stopped when i went to bed?

I\'m gonna try taking it again tonight or tomorrow night, at a normal time and I\'m gonna try to get more like 8 hrs of sleep, but i wanted to see what you all think about this...it sorta sucked \'cause i was all out of it for my chem final, and this morning i had an SATII but only got 4 hrs of sleep cause i couldn\'t fall asleep last night!

Default Re: Melatonin

The mel you took, was it time-release, regular oral, or sublingual? The time-release form could explain your grogginess the next day.

The issue I have with the sublingual I take on ocassion is that it wears off in about 4 to 5 hours and you wake up in too early. When I take it, I need about 10 mg of sublingual for it to work but it does work quite well so long as I don\'t use it every night.

Your Adderal might complicate things since amphetamines can complicate a number of normal drug behaviors.

Journeyman

it\'s quick-acting 1 mg capsul form. You could be right about the adderal, even though neither melatonin or adderal listed a drug interaction with the other, but whenever you\'re messing with brain chemistry, their must be some level of interaction, right?

So that\'s the wierd part--1 mg quick acting made me messed up the whole next day! I think im gonna take some in about an hour in a half and get a good night\'s sleep, see if any better results tomorrow.

But I\'m also thinking of easing up on the adderall over the summer. I won\'t need it so much, and it should give me the opportunity to see if i can\'t achieve more natural results with some of the supplements im taking right now.

**DONOTDELETE**

If you\'re taking melatonin as a sleep aid and it is making you groggy at that low a dose, I wonder if herbals such as valerian, skullcap, chamomile might work better for you without the side effects.

You might try taking your melatonin as though it were the slow release kind - 2 hours before bed. I know it isn\'t, but maybe that would help with the next day grogginess.

Phero Dude

I\'ve used it a couple of times about 30-45 mins before going to bed.

I haven\'t really noticed any effects either way, positive or negative. I\'ve not really experienced any extra \"groggyness\" in the morning, and I sleep the same I would without it...maybe it doesn\'t really affect me as much as it might other people...

-Jon

Banned User

you should be using 3mg capsules, because some of the melatonin if lost in digestion, and that isn\'t very much melatonin. I have had good results using twinlab\'s 3mg capsules. time released sublingual seems to be a good kind, but I haven\'t tried it yet. It is best to take Melatonin 45-1hr before sleep on an empty stomach if possible. Also, bright lights destroy Melatonin within the brain. So avoid any lights after that 45-1hr you have taken Melatonin. www.iherb.com carrys a big selection of different melatonin products at a discount.

Isn\'t it true also that melatonin is most helpful to those over 40, who may be deficient in this hormone? So in a younger person it may make sense that it has different effects, such as grogginess, if they are not deficient.

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I must say ... if you took 1 mg and it made you groggy the next day, upping your dosage to 3 mg does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

Listen carefully to your body. Your body doesn\'t seem to want melatonin. It is not helping it perform well, apparently.

Most first night Melatonin users will experience groginess for the first day or two, then it goes away.

Thread Information