Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anxiety/Lethargy/Depression

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Metroman:

You have the right idea except it is not rebellion and shouldn\'t be handled that way. The best advice for this young man is to go to his school counselor and tell them the whole truth. That is what our government should be doing, protecting this young man and helping him to become productive. His mother refusing him health care and forcing him to lie about his mental state is nothing short of abuse! Our advising him to grin and bear it is hurting him and his mother and in the long run may destroy their relationship. He needs to take action now in his own best interests.

Gnome335:

Parental authority in most cases is correct but when the parent is taking an action that is harming the child, the chld is under no obligation to obey. Do not fight with her, simply get the help you need and if it comes down to a fight, go to the legal system to get help. You have an unabridgable right to all forms of health care. It is the government\'s obligation to fight for your well being, let them do their job and protect you.

I actually agree with you, metroman (and don\'t get used to that) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am not commenting on if it was a woman vs. a man, but by the way this Mom is not paying attention to her sons needs. I actually find it outrageous. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

Government intervention is not a solution. Government backed force intervention would only make this guys problems alot worse. The government & the people that work for them certainly do not know what is best for this young man. The only person that knows whats best for him right now is he himself. Rock on Genome: \"Rebel Without a Cause\" Except you have a cause. Parental authority is in alot of cases incorrect. That is why our society is plagued with so many dysfunctional people.

Elana theres hope for you yet: I\'m not making this a man against woman issue. I\'m speaking out about the PC paradigm that exists in this country & most of the western world. It seems everybody has become so brainwashed by the media, academe & the govt. In the movie \"Thelma & Louise\" the Susan Saradon & Gina Davis characters waste this redneck guy in the parking lot who was threatening them with brutal rape & possibly murder. The actions they took; self defense were morally justifiable in my opinion. The feminist response was that they weren\'t justified in taking the law into their own hands & should\'ve resorted to law enforcement. By that time they would\'ve been dead. I think they should\'ve been given a medal. The sad part is we live in a society where everything has become so politicized that the reality of issues that confront us and their solutions have become almost impossible to reach. Save us from the Brown Rice, Granola eating, Moosewood cookbook Moms of the world. Genome she wants natural. Tell her everything is natural on this planet except for the moon rocks bought back by the astronauts & the Martian rocks bought back my the Mars Rover. Okay I\'ll get off my soapbox now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Elana theres hope for you yet: I\'m not making this a man against woman issue.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">
    Excuse me???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    I never said you were making this a man against women issue. What I am saying is ANY parent, either Mother or Father should be locked away for neglecting their child. He needs help and she is ignoring her son.

Phero Dude

I am not commenting on if it was a woman vs. a man

You are just so snippy today...Any particular reason? Did the batteries on your vibrator run out? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I\'m just glad that you\'re humane enough to be supportive of this young guys dilemma.

I have had it with you. I am going to have Exit63 kick your ass!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

Shiver me timbers!!! I\'m quaking in my boots...Really why all the hostility pumpkin? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No hostility here, sugar muffin.

Phero Dude

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I\'m down with that sweetpea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hey Toots...This bum givin yue a hard time!

Government intervention is not a solution. Government backed force intervention would only make this guys problems alot worse.

In this case you are wrong. this young man needs somebody to stand up for him, He cannot do it himself. If he goes out to look for help and mother finds out, the repercussions will be a lot worse than if he confronts the issue head on. This is one of the few times I would support government intervention, but Gnome has to initiate it himself or he will surely remain under his mother\'s control.

**DONOTDELETE**

Encouraging him to cross his mother, i.e., bring authorities into the picture, bring the problem to light as a matter of parental abuse, could lead to consequences for him that are worse than the problems he\'s already got.

I stand by what I said. It\'s only a couple more years. Make the point to be getting out of the house and out from under.

YES! Take care of him, sweet cakes.
    You said you had a \"friend\" that could help you out.

Phero Dude

from genome335
    \"Last time things got this bad I was hospitalized because I did\'nt goto school for 3 months because of my panic attacks. When I was there my mom refused them the right to give me medication. The only good thing that came out of it was that I used to weigh around 200 pounds (I used to eat when I was nervous) and I lost around 50 since the problems at school went away. They discharged me and put me back in a normal school (I was at the hospital 6 months) i\'ve been doing pretty good but my depression is coming back and I don\'t want to go through this again.\"

Genome,

You were hospitalized for 6 months for panic attacks and now you are playing around with ephedrine? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

It gave me energy and made me feel good like I was on top of the world. Sometimes I felt like I could be naked in front of a thousand people and not feel embarrassed and other times it would make me so nervous that It was impossible for me to talk to people that i\'ve known for years. I don\'t take it anymore since i\'m taking wellbutrin, the first few days it made me feel extremely calm almost like a zombie but now it\'s evening out, i\'m starting to feel good.

Phero Dude

genome,
    I\'m glad you aren\'t taking it anymore. That\'s real scary to mix with panic. Good Luck.

Encouraging him to cross his mother, i.e., bring authorities into the picture, bring the problem to light as a matter of parental abuse, could lead to consequences for him that are worse than the problems he\'s already got.

I stand by what I said. It\'s only a couple more years. Make the point to be getting out of the house and out from under.

And in the meantime, it\'s better for Gnome to end up in the hospital again, or worse, because of her neurosis? I think he needs help, depression needs to be treated. It does not get better on its own, it usually gets worse. If mom does not want him to get proper care, that is no different than denying any other form of medical care and it is child neglect, abuse and endangerment.

For Gnome\'s own good and in his best interests, he needs to get help soon. If mom does not like it, let her fight with the legal system over it. Gnome should not be forced to continue to suffer a medical problem because of her.

This discussion is pointless. He\'s 16, he\'s old enough to start making decisions about his life. He needs to decide for himself what to do, and not listen to contradicting advice from faceless strangers (including me) who don\'t accurately know what his situation is.

It\'s easy giving advice if you don\'t have to live with the consequences.

Hungry

He\'s 16, he\'s old enough to start making decisions about his life. He needs to decide for himself what to do, and not listen to contradicting advice from faceless strangers (including me) who don\'t accurately know what his situation is.

Hungry

Agreed. He neds to start making decisions based on his own good without interference from us, or his mother! That\'s why I want him to go to his counselor and tell the whole truth. At 16, he is capable of making the decisions but from what he has said, his mother will not allow him to act on those decisions. He needs some horsepower in his corner.

Phero Dude

This discussion is pointless. He\'s 16, he\'s old enough to start making decisions about his life. He needs to decide for himself what to do, and not listen to contradicting advice from faceless strangers (including me) who don\'t accurately know what his situation is.

Hungry

Best thing thats been said so far!

Phero Dude

YES! Take care of him, sweet cakes.
    You said you had a \"friend\" that could help you out.

I thought you bore no hostility towards me Elana?

See comment below...

**DONOTDELETE**

Y\'know, it\'s interesting you bring that signature up, because I must admit, some of us have wondered about it. That you\'re so proud of it, I suppose should not be such a surprise. After all, it is a quote from one of the most obnoxious male characters in the history of the movies.

Y\'know, it\'s interesting you bring that signature up, because I must admit, some of us have wondered about it. That you\'re so proud of it, I suppose should not be such a surprise. After all, it is a quote from one of the most obnoxious male characters in the history of the movies.

Not only that, he was mentally ill and anti-social.

After all, it is a quote from one of the most obnoxious male characters in the history of the movies

Huh? That is interesting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Agreed. He neds to start making decisions based on his own good without interference from us, or his mother! That\'s why I want him to go to his counselor and tell the whole truth. At 16, he is capable of making the decisions but from what he has said, his mother will not allow him to act on those decisions. He needs some horsepower in his corner.

I think it\'s the other way around. Saying he needs help to be independent ... well, you can see the contradiction. Most people establish some independance within their family unit first before heading out into the big bad world. He needs to do that first, by setting up boundaries in his relationship with his mother, and enforcing them. Once he can make it clear he\'s old enough and responsible enough to take charge of his own health, then he can approach his councellor or doctor or whatever.

Going from his posts, I personally do not think he\'s responsible enough yet. But if he starts behaving like an adult, he\'ll find he matures very quickly. Blaming his mother will only serve to enforce his dependance on her.

Nobody is going to give him responsibility and independence, he has to earn it.

Hungry

Phero Dude

First things first. Genome is a psych patient with an allergy to herbs. He is self-medicating.

If what he says is true, this is dangerous. And, we aren\'t interfering. He asked us.

Actually i\'m feeling great now, I no longer feel depressed and things that usually bothered me before are like nothing now. I also have more energy and my memorizing skills feel like they\'ve doubled 2 fold. The only side effects i\'ve had were nausea and scary life like dreams (really cool but scary) so it looks like it was the best choice I ever made, thumbs up for wellbutrin.

Phero Dude

Actually i\'m feeling great now, I no longer feel depressed and things that usually bothered me before are like nothing now. I also have more energy and my memorizing skills feel like they\'ve doubled 2 fold. The only side effects i\'ve had were nausea and scary life like dreams (really cool but scary) so it looks like it was the best choice I ever made, thumbs up for wellbutrin.

Great to hear you\'re doing better! Thats the main thing.

Phero Dude

You\'re so funny FTR...Some of you have been wondering? How cute! You mean there is this PM dialog going on between you ladies behind the scenes? I\'m shocked! I would\'ve never imagined that in a million years. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Really? Well, here\'s one for your research notebook, then: Girls talk to each other.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information