Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thanks for making the effort!

visit-red-300x50PNG
    </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Well if y\'all like it ... who am I to tell you differently? I just hate it.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Tch tch tch tch! \"Y\'all\" means \"you all.\" It is NEVER used to refer to one person. </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />

I\'ve given up on educating people about that. Either they get it from the start, or they never get it. *sigh*

I\'ve got a god awful Andalusian accent when I speak Spanish, SRH. Isn\'t that strange? Both of us have southern English AND southern accents in our second languages. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That is strange. And probably extremely sexy--to all but Xehupatl. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

FTR - i was referring to \"you all\", rather than SRH only.

Also, I hate Berliner deutsch, not Redneck drawl ... wait, I hate that too ... okay you\'re right.

Joke\'s on me. Put in on my tab.

&lt;Redneck drawl ... wait, I hate that too &gt;

Well, there\'s the southern drawl, and \'Redneck\'. Which one do you mean?
    The southern drawl is smooth, relaxed, and slow. \'Redneck\' can be jarring and just sounds ignorant.

hey maybe I can get up too 500 posts soon. Wow, 400-something posts without ever saying anything constructive about pheromones!

=*= Xehupatl - Whoring for Post-Count Since 1999 =*=

yes sorry about that - shooting off my mouth when I don\'t know anything about that!

joke\'s on me - again!

Banned User

Maybe there is a slightly more educated Southern accent but whenever I hear either it \"urks\" me for some reason. Everyone should make audio posts yeah, constructive alright.

Like I said, either you love it or you hate it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Banned User

speaking of accents. How about Swiss german! sounds really weird to me. It\'s a good thing every one in Switzerland, Germany/baveria, Litchenstein, and Austria are schooled in \"Heuch Deutsch\"(standard german)

Hochdeutsch friggin\' rulez!

Swiss german is really funny. I can\'t really understand it, but I like it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Banned User

Who is bilingual here? I know alot of the European guys and girls must be but I was just wondering what are your main fluent languages?

**DONOTDELETE**

FTR - i was referring to \"you all\", rather than SRH only.

Also, I hate Berliner deutsch, not Redneck drawl ... wait, I hate that too ... okay you\'re right.

Joke\'s on me. Put in on my tab.

Ehh...it\'s just that kind of thing that\'s killing regional accents. \"Redneck drawl.\" Yeah, right. Like Brooklynese sounds any better for having originated north of the Mason Dixon. Or Bostonians who wouldn\'t know an R if it fell in their laps. Or CA\'s Valley Girls.

It\'s all good. Celebrate diversity. Eschew stereotypes. Broaden your horizons.

Oh, fvck it, never mind.

upsidedown

And then there\'s CAJUN!

Default American Southern Accents

I\'ve always been a student of American Southern accents. They have a number of distinct \"ecosystems\" based on economic niches and migratory sources. There are a few that are quite cultivated and melodious, especially coming from beautiful women. See \"Gone with the Wind\"!

For example, Tidewater Virginian is from Southern England and is rather feudal in origin - think aristocratic Roundheads fleeing the English Civil War. Piedmont Alabama, Georgia, and west is from what we call \"Scotch-Irish\" because they had their origins in the borderlands between Scotland and England and Northern Ireland. Their closest relatives in the \"Old Country\" are the Orangemen of Belfast and neighborhood.

There\'s lot\'s more to it but I could always tell, when I was growing up on the Florida Gulf coast, someone from Selma from someone from, say, Apalachacola, just by accent.

People in New Orleans sound, surprisingly, like people from the Bronx. And people in New Orleans sound a lot different from the people just outside of town - the difference between Creole and Cajun.

Phero Pro

Default Re: American Southern Accents

I am Mack, german and italian. I haven\'t spoken italian for about 12 years but I was raised bilingual. I don\'t think I lost something that an intensive class couldn\'t replace though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Swiss-German (Schwitzerdütsch) is almost a complete different language. It\'s even hard to understand everything in case swiss people are speaking the main language (hoch-deutsch). Swiss is a special case anyway because there are so many spoken dialects and languages (different german dialects, french and different romanic dialects).

Ick kann jah nich versteh\'n wie jemand dit Berlinerisch nich möjen kann. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

Hehehe ... there\'s even some colloquial english on signs and such in Japan ....

Pool

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nice research there Andy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cultural imperialism is an awesome thing. I wonder how it\'ll change after Rupert Murdoch controls everything everyone in the world sees. Maybe we\'ll get lucky and he\'ll follow the Silvio Berlusconi route.

The southern drawl is smooth, relaxed, and slow. \'Redneck\' can be jarring and just sounds ignorant.

I can\'t stand Southern accents! Period. I don\'t know why really. I just don\'t like them. And I lived in Florida for 10 years.

When I\'m writing to the ladies on the forum, I picture them without accents. Although I know Red has one, it would\'nt bother me because I think she\'s pretty smart. She always uses big words like apostophasizing. I think the reason is the whole trailer trash ignorance stereotype thing. Even Bill Clinton had an El Camino with astroturf in the back.

In my warped mind, Elana has absolutely no southern accent whatsoever! She\'s a cosmopolitan New Yawker with the slightest tinge of jewishness in her voice.

That\'s the way it sounds to me anyway.

And all of you Europeans do a fine job with english. If I didn\'t know that Franki was a native Dutch cheesehead living in Germany, I would think he\'s from Pennsylvania.

Actually, Elana is a 14-year-old boy from Milwaukee who goes to Catholic school. FTR is a 250-pound lumberjack from Washington state with a lot of hair on his back. And Mobley is a composite of 8 teen-age girls from suburban Boston.

Banned User

Actually, Elana is a 14-year-old boy from Milwaukee who goes to Catholic school. FTR is a 250-pound lumberjack from Washington state with a lot of hair on his back. And Mobley is a composite of 8 teen-age girls from suburban Boston.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I do NOT have hair on my back!!

I can\'t stand Southern accents! Period. I don\'t know why really. I just don\'t like them. And I lived in Florida for 10 years.

When I\'m writing to the ladies on the forum, I picture them without accents. Although I know Red has one, it would\'nt bother me because I think she\'s pretty smart. She always uses big words like apostophasizing. I think the reason is the whole trailer trash ignorance stereotype thing. Even Bill Clinton had an El Camino with astroturf in the back.

Um, don\'t all y\'all have an El Camino with astroturf in the back??? Or at least a big-a$$ truck? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I\'ve seen those itty bitty car commercials, but I thought they were all from Europe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    (A lot of us don\'t claim Bill Clinton down here anyway. That\'s ARKANSAS, and I don\'t live there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and another thing. Do they even HAVE a southern accent in Florida anymore?? Everybody there that I\'ve talked to sounds either Cuban or very very yankee. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Elana would only go up on my good list if she has one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Default Floridian Accents

Florida has a variety of accents. There\'s upland Florida, swamp bug Florida, Yankee Florida, and Koobun.

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Floridian Accents *DELETED*

Post deleted by FullTiltRedhead

Default Re: Floridian Accents

I am from the South. What in my posts made you think I wasn\'t?

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Floridian Accents *DELETED*

Post deleted by FullTiltRedhead

Your saying you hate Southern accents and making stereotyped remarks about southerners!

You hate yourself??

Whoa!! Back up a sec. One, I was being facetious with Exit. That\'s all. Sorry if it didn\'t come across that way.

And I love the Southern drawl. I\'ve said that many times. It\'s \'Redneck\' I\'m not overly fond of. And you can find \'Redneck\' anywhere.

I think I see what you\'re saying, but I think it\'s a confusion of who said what. Exit hates southern accents. I don\'t. That might have gotten confused in the quotes part.

**DONOTDELETE**

So sorry! You\'re exactly right, that\'s exactly what happened! My bad, off to delete that post.

Apologies. (I was so confused...)

For me, it\'s not so much accent (although you can certainly tell I\'m not from the north - but people usually just ask me where I\'m from rather than know my heritage is southern), it\'s the way I put words together, especially when I\'m mad or with someone I\'m completely comfortable with. Then the southern and the Irish comes out.

I was a Navy brat and we lived mostly outside the US while I was growing up. My parents had southern accents. Mine\'s not real pronounced and it\'s a mish-mash of varieties.

Default Re: Europeans writing colloquial American English

PICSS!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

Well if y\'all like it ... who am I to tell you differently? I just hate it.

Tch tch tch tch! \"Y\'all\" means \"you all.\" It is NEVER used to refer to one person.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I\'ve got a god awful Andalusian accent when I speak Spanish, SRH. Isn\'t that strange? Both of us have southern English AND southern accents in our second languages. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey now! \"Ya\'ll\" is a very versatile word! We find all sorts of uses for it down here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ha! You should hear me try to speak french. It\'s atrocious. Spent 2 months there and still couldn\'t communicate worth a sh!t. And I really tried! The sad thing is, I could understand our professor (it was a study abroad trip) just fine- he spoke french with a very pronounced Texas accent. Go figure! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information