Close

Phero Pro

Default Laser Teeth Whitening

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Got an appointment with Brite Smile for tomorrow night. Anyone ever do this? It costs $525 ($125 more then the tray method that you wear nightly for like 3 months) this is a 1 time visit, no follow ups required. Here is the research I dug up regarding it (see below). I was just making this post to see if anyone else has had this procedure done or known anyone to have it done, was curious if there was any pain during the procedure? I read my teeth can be sensitive for the 24 hours following the procedure, so does this mean I shouldn\'t go out boozing Thursday night? Thanks -b.

From MSN.com (Health Section) don\'t have the link, just search MSN Health for Teeth Whitening, it\'s the first one that shows up.

Looks like you get what you pay for, this is along the same lines as the news report I saw on the news about a month ago.

By Richard Sogn, MD
    Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
    on Wednesday, October 02, 2002
    WebMD Feature

Your pearly whites not so pearly anymore? That can happen to any of us, for any number of reasons. The good news is that you don\'t have to live with a smile you\'re less than happy with. Tooth whitening can restore your teeth to their earlier brightness. But given the number of options and the cost and time involved with each one, how do you know which one is right for you?

As we age, the outer layer of enamel on our teeth is worn away, eventually revealing the darker tissue underneath, at the center of the tooth around the nerves and blood vessels. Our teeth may also become discolored from smoking, from drinking coffee, tea, and wine, and even from taking certain medications as a child such as tetracycline.

\"It\'s like wearing a great outfit or wonderful accessory,\" says Wynn Okuda, DMD, national president of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). \"Having your teeth whitened makes you feel good.\"

Almost everyone wants whiter teeth these days, adds Melissa Ing, DMD, associate professor of prosthodontics at the University of Connecticut Health Center. \"It\'s the number one aesthetic concern of my patients,\" she says.

Ing is not alone in noticing the upsurge in requests for a brighter smile. The American Dental Association found that in each of the last four years, approximately 25% of dentists surveyed reported that tooth whitening is the fastest growing aspect of their practices.

That may be because it\'s fairly easy to accommodate those requests, says Ing. \"Tooth whitening or bleaching works for most people and my patients who have done it are happy with the results.\"

Two Ways to Tooth Whitening

Tooth whitening can be achieved in two ways. A product can bleach the tooth. That means it actually changes the natural tooth color, usually anywhere from five to seven -- but even up to twelve -- shades brighter, which is how dentists assess tooth color. Bleaching products contain peroxides that help remove both deep and surface stains. The second whitening process uses non-bleaching products that work by physical or chemical action to help remove surface stains only.

Whitening products are available from your dentist, but there are also many products to choose from over the counter. But do they work?

The newcomer to the world of tooth whitening is known as chairside bleaching. This may require more than one visit, with each visit lasting 30 to 60 minutes. During chairside bleaching, your dentist applies either a protective gel to your gums or a rubber shield to protect the soft tissues in the mouth. A bleaching agent is then applied to the teeth, and a special light may be used to enhance the action of the agent.

The cost of professional whitening varies -- depending on where you live, what product the dentist uses, and what other services may be offered), but usually starts about $500 per session, says Okuda. If your teeth aren\'t very dark or very stained, you may need only one session.

Your dentist can also provide you with a tooth-whitening system that you can use at home. At-home products typically come in a gel form that contains carbamide peroxide; the gel is placed in a custom-fitted mouthguard, created from a mold of your teeth. Depending on the product you and your dentist choose, the guard is worn either twice a day for 30 minutes or overnight -- usually for a couple of weeks. The length of time can range from one week to one month depending on how much whitening you need. This procedure usually costs around $400 and whitens the teeth four to seven shades.

Try This at Home?

Over-the-counter products are less expensive but will not brighten your teeth as much as professional products. Procter & Gamble Co.\'s Whitestrips, for example, sell for about $40, and Colgate-Palmolive Co.\'s Simply White, for about $15. The American Dental Association says the products are safe; the range of whitening power they have, though, is usually just a shade or two.

Whitening toothpastes can help remove surface stains through the action of mild abrasives. Some whitening toothpastes have special chemical or polishing agents that provide additional stain removal, but unlike bleaches, don\'t change the color of your teeth.

Ing and Okuda offer the following suggestions if you\'re interested in brightening your smile:

Have your teeth evaluated by your dentist. \"It\'s important to determine whether you\'re a good candidate for bleaching,\" says Ing. \"It\'s not for everyone.\" In some cases of serious discoloration and pitted teeth, for example, veneers may be more appropriate than bleaching.

And crowns, bridges, and fillings do not bleach, so you may need to replace dental work to make it blend with the new color of your bleached teeth. Okuda recommends not only a dental exam, but X-rays as well. \"Many dental problems are not visible to the naked eye when they\'re just beginning. Even if a problem -- such as receding gum lines -- is not very far along, the whitening process could cause you a lot of pain.\"

Choose a dentist who is qualified and experienced. Not all dentists do bleaching, says Okuda. Cosmetic dentists specialize in \"smile solutions,\" he says.

There can be side effects. \"Occasionally, people experience some sensitivity in their teeth and gums during the bleaching process,\" says Ing. A study in the Journal of the American Dental Association reported that 50% of people experience temporary tooth sensitivity as a result of home whitening treatment. People with receding gums appear most likely to experience such sensitivity. \"The sensitivity usually goes away once the bleaching is stopped though,\" says Ing.

Bleaching isn\'t permanent. \"You may need a touch-up every several years. If you smoke and drink a lot of coffee, you may need the touch-up more often,\" says Ing.

Finally, while the bleaching or whitening process works well, you shouldn\'t try to get your teeth too white, Ing advises. \"Healthy teeth are not pure white, and if you bleach your teeth too much, you may have trouble matching new fillings later on.\"

Default Re: Laser Teeth Whitening

I\'ve been very interested in this - let me know how it goes! I mentioned this in a forum here once and someone told me to do Crest White Strips and save my money. But I hear very good things about Brite Smile. And Crest White Strips are not going to get your teeth 12 shades whiter. I think if I spent $500 on this, I\'d be drinking all my coffee and red wine thru a straw from now on! LOL

BTW I emailed the Brite Smile place thru their website and wanted more info, leaving them my phone number. I never got any followup at all. Hm.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] <-- Bivonic\'s shiny white teeth!

bump

Doesn\'t anybody else know anything about teeth whitening? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Any comments on the over the counter products out there?

Bivonic, I can\'t wait to see your before and afters... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Crest Whitening Strips. I forget which June issue of which women\'s magazine, but the dentist being interviewed said they were as good as professionally made bleaching kits, and work in about three weeks.

Phero Pro

Default Before & After

Before & After photos are in...

Go here:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bivonic

Went from an A3 to beyond a B1 (which is the brightest if that is possible).

Here\'s the skinny, you show up (after making an appointment), they have you fill out a 2 page \"questionnaire\" & have you sign a waiver (or whatever that is called, saying you won\'t sue if anything bad happens).

Very professional setup (I went to their main office in midtown Manhattan), they have like a dozen \"cubicles\" setup, they were all filled, business must be good for them.

They give you a toothbrush & pre-whitening toothpaste & have you brush for 2 minutes. Then they explain what\'s going to happen, they check your teeth really quick & then put this thing that keeps your mouth open, then they apply some stuff to cover your gums & then they heat it up so it solidifies. Then the doc comes in & puts the gel on your teeth, they aim the \"laser device\" at your mouth & you watch TV with headphones for 20 minutes, then they reapply gel for 2 more 20 minute sessions & then you rinse out your mouth & your done!

Okay now the bad news, I have sensitive teeth, 1st session was ok, 2nd one I felt some \"spikes\" of discomfort, 3rd session it became more frequent, nothing too serious, I had to close my eyes maybe twice it hurt so bad, but again I think I\'m the exception as my teeth are sensitive. They gave me 2 advil & I went out boozing (they tell you not to eat or drink anything that is not clear or white for the 1st 24 hours) so I had like 4 double kettle 1 & tonic\'s (that helped deal with some of the sensitivity spikes I felt for the next few hours). The next day I was fine, with just a little tingling occasionally, but nothing serious.

I\'d recommend it over the tray since you are in & out in a matter of 1.5 hours. They say it\'s good for 2 years or longer depend on if you drink wine / tea / coffee & if you smoke. The only thing that might damage my pearly whites is that I drink diet coke & smoke occasionally [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I saw an article (can\'t remember where..either MSNBC.com or cnn.com) about a new whitening gel from Crest. Its called Crest Night something or other. Crest Night Effects, maybe?

In summary, the article said that the new whitening gel from Crest was probably the best at home whitening product on the market. You \"paint\" the gel on before bed. And while you\'re sleeping, your saliva slowly \"activates\" the gel, which whitens your teeth while you sleep.

The article mentioned how other at home whitening products, such as the tray system, lose their whitening potency due to dilution via saliva.

Their test determined the new Crest overnight product to have the greatest effect. Close to the expensive dentist treatment from what I remember. I havn\'t tried it myself yet. I\'ve been meaning to pick it up. I vaguely recall it being under $30, but don\'t quote me on it.

=============

Forgot to mention that I saw the article a month or two ago.

Phero Pro

I wonder what the best treatment I should follow now that my teeth are white, kind of like maintenance, I doubt I could harm my teeth by using that product you mention even though my teeth are already white right? I would just use it like once a month or so to remove any recent developed stains?

Yeah, the article mentioned using the Crest overnight gel something like every night for a couple of weeks, then every so often thereafter. I can\'t remember how often, however. I imagine once or twice a month would keep your teeth pearly white. I vaguely remember the article talking about whitening products being safe; meaning that they do not harm the enamel on your teeth, etc.

Read the directions carefully. I bought a tray whitening product a few days before I saw the article I mentioned. I didn\'t read the directions carefully. The directions said NOT to use the product right after brushing your teeth. The second time I used it was, of course, right after I\'d brushed my teeth. My gums started to burn. I left it in for a few more minutes, then the burning got worse. I took it out only to see part of my gums a little white! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I panicked a little, because I thought I\'d bleached my gums permanently or something. But after about an hour my gums were fine; a little tender, however.

I\'m jealous of you, bivonic. I\'d rather just go to the dentist and get it done all in one shot and do maintenance work after that. Time to save up, I guess. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I spent some $400.00 on custom fitted trays and bleaching gel and it worked great but it was agony for the 10 days that it took, because I have sensitive teeth, too - to bleach, at least. Sensodyne toothpaste helps a little, but you have to use it for a couple of weeks prior because its effects are cumulative. Then do bleach and continue using Sensodyne.

Bivonic, I intend to get the Crest stuff for upkeep. I couldn\'t live without coffee and Diet Coke and I smoke, too. I\'m thinking we should be able to tell fairly soon how often we need to do maintenance - keep track of when they dull a shade and then do the Crest and see how long that takes to bring them back up, and just work it into your \"beauty\" regimen.

Your teeth look great! I bet you got a lot of compliments.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Cool beans! They look really great, bivonic! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don\'t get the Crest White Strips they\'re a peice of [bad word]. They\'re just pieces of tape with gel on them which don\'t stay in place and go all over your mouth. Get the bleaching kits with the bleaching trays instead, they\'re much cheaper too. Just go look on ebay.

Phero Pro

The white strips are much better than the comercial kits, but I have to admit that you need a little skill to apply them correctly.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Don\'t get the Crest White Strips they\'re a peice of [bad word]. They\'re just pieces of tape with gel on them which don\'t stay in place and go all over your mouth. Get the bleaching kits with the bleaching trays instead, they\'re much cheaper too. Just go look on ebay.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Don\'t those cheap bleaching kits just eat the enamel off your teeth?

it matters which one\'s you get...

Thread Information