Close

Thread: Contacts

Phero Pharaoh

Default Contacts

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I just got contacts yesterday. Specifically, ACUVUE contacts. I was able to put them on fine yesterday, but today, the very second I put them on, my eyes become very irritated. Are there any experienced contact users on this forum that may be able to say why this could be happening?

I do wonder if they are damaged. I hate clear lenses, I\'m getting colored ones. At least with the colored ones, you know which side is the one you put on your eye! :-|

- Krish

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Contacts

It will just take some time for your eyes to get adapted to them ! I think it\'s a normal situation. That\'s why I don\'t like contacts : they\'re an artificial device on your eyes, + you have to clean them everyday or so... I prefer glasses.
    But, having one blue eye and one brown one... that can be funny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Banned User

Tell me Krish,

Have you ever considered a relatively small laser-powered adjustment?

I know lots of people who have done that, it takes like 15 minutes for each eye, done in a span of one month per eye.

As far as I know, there were no complications.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Banned User

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />

Have you ever considered a relatively small laser-powered adjustment?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

That is the first thing I am gonna do, when I have a little money ...

Banned User

Israel is one of the best places where you can have your eyes lasered.Too bad it should cost so much money.I heard that in Russia they don\'t even ask the patient if he wants a laser job or not.They simply send them off for one.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

Hey Krish.

I\'ve been wearing contacts for 13 years now (wow, that\'s along time! I hadn\'t thought about it until now...), and I can tell you that what you experienced is not uncommon, especially if you wear daily-s. When you\'re first starting out you\'ll have to build up your tolerance to them slowly, so you won\'t be able to wear them full time probably for a week or two. During that time, you need to be *REALLY* careful to keep them clean. I mean, clean them before you put them back in the case, make sure the solution *in* the case is always fresh (EVERY time you remove them from it you need to change it, unless your doctor has told you otherwise), make sure your fingers are completely clean before you touch the solution to remove the contacts. I always put drops in my eyes before I attempt to put in my contacts- it gives the lens something to \"grip\" besides your naked eye. If you\'ve done all these things and for some reason your eye still hurts (it happens to me occasionally too), take the contact out and don\'t put it back in until your eye no longer shows any red. Then try again. It\'s a tedious process to get started, and sometimes it\'s a real pain in the ass to deal with them everyday, but it beats the heck outta glasses. I highly recommend (you\'ll probably have to get used to the daily wear ones for a while first though) extended wear contacts. Mine are the 2-week variety and I wear them constantly for 7 days (yes, even to sleep), take them out for 24-48 hours to let my eyes rest, then put them back in (clean of course!) for another 7 days before tossing them. Acuvue used to have the name \"Acuvue\" imprinted on the edge of the contact so that if you look at it while it\'s on your finger (from the bottom of the lens) you\'ll be able to read the lettering. If it was backward then you could tell the contact was inside out. I\'m not sure if they do that anymore b/c mine now have this little ring on the outer edge that bends in slightly (toward the eye). So now The only way I can tell if they\'re right-side-out is to make sure the little ring isn\'t poking out away from the center of the lens. I\'m telling you all this b/c it\'s possible you had the contact on inside out- unlikely (because it will normally just flip onto your finger in that case) but possible.

Anyway, that was probably way too much information. If you have any other questions or if I just confused the hell out of ya up there, LMK. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Banned User

Kittie\'s post

So much work just to go about without specs?

Franki\'s post

Franki
    I think your decision to have that adjustment is in the right order.Economically speaking, and on long term basis, I think that the maintenance of contact lenses or specs for that matter may be far more expensive than the initial but one time fee of undergoing a laser adjustment.

Figure it out by yourselves.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wear \"Focus Night &amp; Day\" contact lenses. They\'re designed to be worn constantly for 30 days, even while sleeping. They don\'t need to be removed and don\'t need to be cleaned. After 30 days, you throw them out and put a fresh pair in. The fact that you never touch them after putting them in means there\'s little chance of infection or irritation. I\'ve been wearing contacts for about 15 years all up, starting with those thick \"permanent\" contacts, i.e. you never replaced them, you just had to clean them every single day. I\'ve been wearing the Focus contacts for about 4 years now, ever since they first came out.

Mine are the 2-week variety and I wear them constantly for 7 days (yes, even to sleep)

DVK, if the contacts you use aren\'t designed for wearing during sleep, you have an increased risk of infection. The reason is because not a lot of oxygen gets through the lens, so the cornea swells a bit. This swelling makes it easier for bacteria to get in. Also, the rest periods at night allow the cornea to go back to normal. Having said that, a friend of mine wears a single pair of 2-week lenses for up to 6 months at a time, never taking them out. I think he\'s crazy, but he\'s never had a problem with them, except that the protein buildup makes his vision fuzzy after a while. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The lenses I wear are made from a material that allows 6 times more oxygen to the cornea, so there\'s almost no swelling. They are also extremely comfortable. I can recommend them to anyone.

Hungry

Phero Pharaoh

I have considered it. What gets me is the huge price tag on the operation. I can\'t afford it right now.

- Krish

Phero Pharaoh

Yeah, I have the same ones where you wear them for a week, take them off, and then wear them for another week and then toss \'em.

Mines unfortunately does not have the printing. While sleeping with your contacts on, have you ever had any problems? I was worried it might get stuck or something. lol..

- Krish

Phero Pharaoh

It\'s a lot of work sure, but it pays. Currently, I wear glasses and it takes away from my looks, almost by 25%. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I LOVED how i looked with contacts though.

- Krish

Phero Dude

Kittie\'s post

So much work just to go about without specs?

Believe me Dove, it\'s worth it. Lasix is not an option for all of us, at least not immediately, so we\'ll take what we can get.

Phero Dude

DVK, if the contacts you use aren\'t designed for wearing during sleep, you have an increased risk of infection.

Hungry, I\'m aware of this. I\'ve been wearing lenses for 13 years, remember? My contacts are designed to be slept in.

Phero Dude

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] No, I don\'t usually have any problems. They definitely don\'t get \"stuck\"! I keep a bottle of drops next to my bed (and in every location I am prone to be thoughout the day), so the first thing I do is put in some drops. When you\'re sleeping, you aren\'t constantly blinking as you are when you\'re awake, so sometimes my contacts feel a little dry or look a little hazy until I put in the drops. I don\'t recommend wearing them longer than the prescribed week though, before resting your eyes. That *could* cause damage in the long term. HTH [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

I was able to put them on today without any irritation to my eyes. yay! I only added one extra step and that was to add a drop of solution to each eye before putting them on. Thanks Kittie!

- Krish

I\'m a Luddite when it comes to Lasik eye surgery.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/may/17/laser_surgery.htm

What is described in the above article happened to my best friend. After Lasik his eyes were always dry. So they had to surgically open his tear ducts. Now the tears flow nonstop from his eyes. He lives in Italy and I rarely see him. He visited me a couple of ears ago and I asked him why his eyes were watering the entire day. That\'s when I learned the ugly truth that laser-happy mad surgeons don\'t want you to know.

Phero Dude

NP Krish! Glad they\'re working out for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thread Information