Close

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Phero Pro

Default Female sense of scent ..

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I experienced something really strange t\'day. I am having a female friend that\'s quite direct, in fact she\'s the most upright and direct person I know. I am always getting deep insights in the female nature because of her. It\'s not easy to be with her, but I like it .. however ...

We\'ve been in the netherlands t\'day, because we wanted to enjoy the nice mild summer day at the beach. I don\'t seem to have something like the typical conversion that creates BO at all. Hence I am always smelling clean, though I develope the typical sun-skin smell over time while beeing at the beach. We\'ve been together all day long, fooled around at the beach aso. On the way back to the car she constantly complained about people that aren\'t able to use a deodorant. I absolutely smelled nothing but she seemed to sense every slight hint of BO. I never thought females would be that sensitive though I knew that they are more sensitive to smell than we guys are. She was even able to smell it 8 feet away while I haven\'t been able to smell it around 2 feet away. (She was walking on the right side of the path and I passed really close to the other group)

Really interesting ...

Banned User

Default Re: Female sense of scent ..

It was a hint for you, Andy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

What kinda hint do you mean ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ah lol ... now I see what you mean .... she complained about specific people passing by. Not people in general [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Banned User

I think she means YOU too.

And you say you understand women? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

Hmm .. she digged her face into the side of my chest and said that this! would be better ... I don\'t think you are right on this one ;P. Trust me ... she\'d tell me directly if I ever happen to carry a BO cloud around with me ...

Nope, I don\'t understand women and I am not tryin\' to anymore. It\'s like tryin\' to understand the infinity of the universe, you can never understand and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

Banned User

Hmmm, maybe you are right then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

What I actually wanted to know ... Is it just me (and her) or is the nose of the average female really that superior to the one of the average male?

Banned User

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    What I actually wanted to know ... Is it just me (and her) or is the nose of the average female really that superior to the one of the average male?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Oh, sorry for cluttering up your thread up then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am not a scientist, but I think it is safe to say the average female nose is superior (when it comes to body smells at least).

Phero Pro

I knew that it is somewhat better, but I never expected such a difference. I smelled absolutely nothing and she almost couldn\'t stand it ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Nope, I don\'t understand women and I am not tryin\' to anymore. It\'s like tryin\' to understand the infinity of the universe, you can never understand and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

What is the sound of one hand clapping? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Phero Enthusiast

I\'ve read that female hearing is better than that of men. I won\'t be suprised if it turns out that women smell better too. They are more sensitive (Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French sensitif, from Medieval Latin sensitivus, probably alteration of sensativus, from sensatus sensate). I think it has to do with the role women performed in the stone age. Maybe DST or JVK can shed some light?

Phero Pro

I heared that males can hear better than women, but women pay closer attention to what they hear in case it\'s a kind of communication.

After many years exploring the realm of human perception as an \"investigative psychologist\" (the science of gustation &amp; olfaction, mainly), over 15 yrs. as a professional culinarial (the art &amp; science of gustation and olfaction), and several yrs. as a professional sommelier (OK, mainly olfaction), I feel confident in saying that it is believed that only 25% of the total population are considered \"super-tasters\". This is a misnomer, because we\'re really dealing w/ olfaction. We can Sense over 10,000 odorants, but are limited to 5 basic taste sensations: Sweet, sour, salty, bitter and Umami (roughly meaning savory; trasliteration: something yummy\'s on the way[to the stomach, that is]). So, only about 25% are super-tasters w/ an extremely sensitive ability to smell (detect odorants). Yeah, so what? Right? Well, 80 % of this super-taster population are believed to be women. BTW, 25% of the population are also considered \"non-tasters,\" i.e. very poor ability to detect odorants.
    Hope that helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

*Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow*

Phero Enthusiast

I heared that males can hear better than women, but women pay closer attention to what they hear in case it\'s a kind of communication.

Hahaha,

What\'s the most common cause of hearing loss amongst men? Wife saying she wants to talk to him.

\"I was listening to you. It\'s just that I have things on my mind.\" Really means.... \"I was wondering if that red-head over there is wearing a bra.\"

Phero Enthusiast

After many years exploring the realm of human perception as an \"investigative psycologist\" (the science of gustation &amp; olfaction, mainly), over 15 yrs. as a professional culinarial (the art &amp; science of gustation and olfaction), and several yrs. as a professional sommelier (OK, mainly olfaction), I feel confident in saying that it is believed that only 25% of the total population are considered \"super-tasters\". This is a misnomer, because we\'re really dealing w/ olfaction. We can Sense over 10,000 odorants, but are limited to 5 basic taste sensations: Sweet, sour, salty, bitter and Umami (roughly meaning savory; trasliteration: something yummy\'s on the way[to the stomach, that is]). So, only about 25% are super-tasters w/ an extremely sensitive ability to smell (detect odorants). Yeah, so what? Right? Well, 80 % of this super-taster population are believed to be women. BTW, 25% of the population are also considered \"non-tasters,\" i.e. very poor ability to detect odorants.

*Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow*

Excellent post Sagacious1420!

Question: do the 5 basic taste sensations make it possible to generate thousands of different tastes? I mean - the combination of the 5 make the whole taste sensation.

After many years exploring the realm of human perception as an \"investigative psycologist\" (the science of gustation &amp; olfaction, mainly), over 15 yrs. as a professional culinarial (the art &amp; science of gustation and olfaction), and several yrs. as a professional sommelier (OK, mainly olfaction), I feel confident in saying that it is believed that only 25% of the total population are considered \"super-tasters\". This is a misnomer, because we\'re really dealing w/ olfaction. We can Sense over 10,000 odorants, but are limited to 5 basic taste sensations: Sweet, sour, salty, bitter and Umami (roughly meaning savory; trasliteration: something yummy\'s on the way[to the stomach, that is]). So, only about 25% are super-tasters w/ an extremely sensitive ability to smell (detect odorants). Yeah, so what? Right? Well, 80 % of this super-taster population are believed to be women. BTW, 25% of the population are also considered \"non-tasters,\" i.e. very poor ability to detect odorants.

Excellent post Sagacious1420!

Question: do the 5 basic taste sensations make it possible to generate thousands of different tastes? I mean - the combination of the 5 make the whole taste sensation.

Personaly, I think there is an interplay between the two, but I don\'t know of any recent data that would support this. But, keep in mind the nose is on the order of about 10,000 sensations, the tongue has only 5 (although I belive tactile senasation should be included as the 6th taste sensation...this is especially true in the culinary world, texture is *so* important). Anyway, imagine that you smell a glass of red wine and you detect a general \"dark fleshed berry\" note in there, but can\'t quite pin it down. You take a sip and based on tactile information (about 90% of what we misidentify as taste buds) and the sensation of acidity and/or sweetness (keep in mind this can come from glyserol content and not \"sugar\" content, because glyserol is commonly described as a \"sweet\" taste sensation) you might describe the *perception* as black raspberry, blackberry, mulberry, or blueberry. And different ppl experiencing the same *sensations* can have different *perceptions*, quite often based on prior experience. I mean, how can you know what a snozberry is unless you\'ve had prior experience (personal or a priori) w/ a snozberry. *That one\'s for you DVK - the music maker and dreamer of dreams* [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Sensation (i.e. the reaction of sense receptors) and Perception (i.e. the higher brains interpretation of this information) can be very different. Does this make sense (no pun intended)?
    Maybe this will help...Smell involves the nose, Taste involves the tongue, Flavor involves the combined interpretation, by the brain (i.e., perception), of both sources of stimuli.

Phero Dude

Default Snozberries and smell-sensitive redheads

A snozberry?! Whoever heard of a *SNOZBERRY*?!?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In the interest of keeping this post on-topic, I\'ll comment that if the women on this forum are any indication, we *do* seem to be more sensitive to smell. We\'ve been discussing that in relation to TE recently on the women\'s forum- minus me, there seems to be a redhead consensus that it reeks.

Phero Pharaoh

Default Re: Snozberries and smell-sensitive redheads

I have no doubt. Not even the smallest iota. Women have an amazing sense of smell compared to us men. I\'m reminded of it almost everyday. A female will comment on something that stinks or whatever and all the males in the room are totally clueless.

...not so much that females have a better sense of smell. More like all us males have a pathetic sense of smell. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Enthusiast

I have no doubt. Not even the smallest iota. Women have an amazing sense of smell compared to us men. I\'m reminded of it almost everyday. A female will comment on something that stinks or whatever and all the males in the room are totally clueless.

...not so much that females have a better sense of smell. More like all us males have a pathetic sense of smell. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

According to the television commericials of sanitary towels/napkins it\'s because women worry all day long whether or not they smell funny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

*snif snif* \"What\'s this I smell? Oh it\'s what\'s-her-name having her period.\" Why on earth do they bother? Men won\'t smell it and if they do they think she\'s horny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

I think one can develop their sense of smell. Most of the greatest perfumers and \"noses\" are men.

Phero Enthusiast

I think one can develop their sense of smell. Most of the greatest perfumers and \"noses\" are men.

Any tips where to start DST? Something like a wine course (in my neighbourhood there are quite a few).

I\'ve also read that depression will reduce the sense of smell.

Phero Pharaoh

Most of the greatest perfumers and \"noses\" are men.

It\'s that fact that intrigues me.

I remember after some nose hair trimming once my sense of smell was much much better. Next day it was normal again.
    Is it a \"mental block\" conditioning ...ummm... thingy. lol Do us males train ourselves to ignore a scent really well for some reason. Or is it, as said above, more a matter of females always worrying about their own scent that they stay much more switched on and learned (?) of the world of scents. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I don\'t think it\'s that complicated. Women just have more sensitive noses. That women are underrepresented in the culinary/perfumery arts could have more to do with politics than skill.

Yes, I believe that one can develop their sense of smell up to the point that there hardware functions effectively. Different ppl (not just gender specific) have inherently different physical abilites regarding olfactory thresholds. I am currently writing a book on the dymnamic relationship between food and wine. I touch upon the idea that it is impossible to recognize an aroma of which one has no prior experience. A snozberry? Who ever heard of a snozberry? That kinda sums it up pretty well in a fun sorta way. Thanks Willie Wonka. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    As far as the \"best noses\" being men, I can tell you from the inside of the wine biz that it is very heavily male dominated. I have conducted tastings and classes with a few thousand (?) ppl over the past few years and my experience supports the scientific notion that there are a higher proportion of sensitive female palates, as opposed to men. The most highly sought after and most highly paid consulting winemakers here in Napa Valley are women. They are the ones making those ridiculously priced cult wines. The greatest vintage ever produced by Chateau Latour, from Bordeaux, was produced entirley by women and the only one ever produced by women. It has recieved a perfect score every time it has been tasted since the vintage was released on up to date. I can tell you from my personal experience that it is an amazing wine, even today. Ya gotta sit down for this one.
    As far as perfumery....? Not my area. Anyone?

Phero Pro

@Charisma

The taste is only needed to safe us from poisoning ourselves with poisonous/rotten food. What we call \"taste\" is actually a composition of the taste and the smell of our food. Scent particles make their way up the connection tunnel between the throat and the smell system. There\'s a strong emphasis on the smell component and therefore we could rather say this food smells good while meaning tastes good.

**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe there are survival benefits, such as being able to smell a sabre tooth tiger if you\'re downwind from one. Or an interloper\'s scent on your husband\'s clothes. You know, that sort of thing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Default Audio

Walk into a high end audio shop and the men there will out-number the women (other than drag-along wives) 20:1.

Men really can distinguish the fine points of sound reproduction better than women (on a statistical basis).

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Audio

Walk into a high end audio shop and the men there will out-number the women (other than drag-along wives) 20:1.

Men really can distinguish the fine points of sound reproduction better than women (on a statistical basis).

Men THINK they can distinguish better. One other thing: females are 9 out of 10 times sooner BORED hanging around in an audio store, that\'s just a matter of interest nothing to do with better hearing. Look up how they came up with \"perfect hearing\" and you\'ll find it\'s all about young women [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

I\'d be interested in seeing some of these statistics, and how they were actually forumlated. Can you give a reference? IMHO, men flock to audio shops to check out the toys. It\'s a matter of pride- who has the best system, whose car has the snazziest body kit or ground effects, etc. In my experience, those guys in the audio shop aren\'t scoping out new hardware in the interests of achieving the perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows, they\'re more interested in finding the system that\'ll rattle their neighbors windows. Apparently you can never have too much base. Well, *this* woman\'s hearing is definitely more sensitive than that.

I didn\'t say this to start another men vs. women debate. I just don\'t think your example here is applicable. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pickup a copy of Stereophile and see if there are any women involved. I\'m not talking boom boxes but high end audio. It\'s telling the difference between tubes and transistors. At an even higher end, its pentodes versus triodes or digital vs. analogue or sweet spot versus reverberation decay times. Sure, love of gadgetry is a factor but lot\'s of guys, and middle age guys in particular, can really get into the subtlties and nuances of quality sound reproduction.

In the evolutionary sense, its a skill for hunters versus vision as a skill for gatherers. A hunter needs to hear the crackling of a twig or the direction of a pig grunt. A gatherer needs to discriminate between a ripe berry and an almost ripe one. Guys can recognize 8 colors while women can see 8 million (or more.)

The testing for hearing is, in my opinion, in a crude state of development. Young women can excell in limited testing but there is a richness and complexity to sound that is difficult to quantify today.

Personally, I\'m half blind, as anyone can tell by looking at my female companions over the years, but I can really get into sound of a woman\'s voice.

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information