Close

Default Sea Lice Treatment !?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Aw jeez. After ten yrs of living here, you\'d think I knew better than to get in the water in May. May, that magical month that baby jellyfish are growing, and their small nematocysts, or stinging cells, are floating invisibly in the waters off south Florida. For me, each subsequent exposure to sea lice has given off a more pronounced and uncomfortable rash, I think it took about a month to get over it the last time. I\'m sure my particular chemistry, immune reactions, and sensitive irish skin don\'t help.

I\'m just asking anybody out there with their own particular experience and/or home remedies, would post and let me in on it. I\'m not talking benadryl cream, hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion, I got that covered. I\'m even not above asking my favorite doc for a script for a short run of oral steroids. I need this to be resolved, or at least on it\'s way, in about a week!

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Sea Lice Treatment !?

My proposed solution: Stay out of the water. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Would antihistamines help, maybe?

Sometimes people use those. I read somewhere you should pick one type of benadryl, meaning either topical OR oral, and stick with it, and not use both.

*Sigh* I know. Not only did I get sea lice this weekend, but I lost my house and car keys too... coughed up about $200 extra in fees for locksmith, car rental to get back home, plus new keys to made at the dealer tomorrow... then I get to drive back to the keys in the rental and pick up my car again on Tuesday... this has been just great fun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

But at least I had a good couple of painkillers on Sat night. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Aloe

**DONOTDELETE**

EH! Suckage! The key thing ... MAN I hate that. The only thing that\'s worse is having your wallet stolen.

Poor baby! Vicodins?

Banned User

Default This is not your day!

Like Exit said.

The Aloe Vera plant is very useful for stings like these.You just take the plant, break it into 2 and use the inner side by spreading the juice on the infected area.

There is another effective ointment called Fenistil Jel (or cream).It can be purchased without a prescription from your local drug store and it\'s inexpensive.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    I lost my house and car keys too... coughed up about $200 extra in fees for locksmith, car rental to get back home, plus new keys to made at the dealer tomorrow... then I get to drive back to the keys in the rental and pick up my car again on Tuesday... this has been just great fun.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

So you had a bad day huh? I can\'t help it, I simply must tell you this joke about bad days.It\'s called \"This is not my day!\"

There was this guy driving from his home to office, and suddenly he saw on one side of the street a guy all naked the way he was born and tied up to a tree,all beaten up and showing his butt.
    The guy came out of his car and approached him, asking him what happened to him.
    The tied up guy started talking \"Boy I\'m glad to see you, This is really not my day, see I was driving along and suddenly I saw a man seeming to be in trouble, so I stopped beside him and tried to help him.Suddenly he ambushed me and started to beat me up, he robbed my wallet, my car, everything.He stripped me naked and took my clothes.Oh G-d\" he cried \"This is not my day!\"

The guy looked at him and started to unbuckle his belt and unbuttening his trousers, telling him with a smerk on his face \"Yea, this is DEFINATELY not your day!!\"

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Default Re: This is not your day!

Ew. That\'s really not that funny. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway yeah aloe, thanks. Any by painkiller, I meant the kind made with cream of coconut, and rum, not the vicodin variety. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Banned User

What do you mean not funny? I rolled on the carpet hurting my belly and it was not funny?

The aloe Vera part is quite true.Do not eat the stuff!!

Sorry *shrug* I guess I don\'t find rape or sodomy very amusing... go figure... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

No I won\'t eat the stuff and thanks for everyone who said aloe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Banned User

Sorry *shrug* I guess I don\'t find rape or sodomy very amusing... go figure...

Umm Helllooo?
    This didn\'t happen in real life. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Tis a joke.Like, Ha ha ha ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

No I won\'t eat the stuff and thanks for everyone who said aloe

You\'re Welcome.

Don\'t know if it will work on the babies, but when people get stung by grown jellyfish, a paste made from meat tenderizer (Adolphs)helps. It breaks down the proteins in the venom. Make sure the meat tenderizer is made from \"papen\" as the active enzyme.

HTH

Phero Pro

Wasn\'t there an episode of \"Friends\" where Joey alleviated Monica\'s jellyfish discomfort by peeing on her?

**DONOTDELETE**

No you did not.

King of the coupons!

Lady E...My book of Home Remedies said:

Rinse immediately with saltwater. Do not use fresh water because it will activate any stinging cells that have not already ruptured. Do not rub the skin for the same reason.

Alcohol: Splash rubbing alcohol over the affected area (wine, liquor, or any other alcohol that\'s available will do).

Vinegar

Ammonia

Meat tenderizer: Contains an enzyme that deactivates venom protein and can help prevent the rupture of stinging cells. Dissolve it in saltwater and pat it on.

Those only relieve for a couple of hours. Reapply.

Relieve the itchy skin with antihistamines
    Reduce swelling with hydrocortisone cream
    Take a pain reliever if pain persist

Get a tetanus shot. Although saltwater will clense the sting site, it won\'t sterilize the wound.

For future reference: If you want to make sure jellyfish won\'t harm you, wear panty hose while you swim. It really helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I think I would like to try the \'licked into unconsciousness\' home remedy, if you don\'t mind... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

King of the coupons!

Only if I get my hour of feasting time in, and you\'re capable of riding more than one wave per session. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] And don\'t think you\'d get to slip away...I WILL be holding you tightly by your wrist while flicking that hooded coward with my snakiness! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You won\'t have anyone to dail 911...then what\'cha gonna do? Stand up and fight like a man you coward! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] And once you regain consciousness...we can start over. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Don\'t make me Hulk out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Too late! B==O==N==E==R! ! ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] \"And she moans, and she tickles...feeling good! Feeling so damn goooooood!\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Che voi fare Signorina E? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Banned User

Reduce swelling with hydrocortisone cream

I wouldn\'t use this stuff without a doctor\'s prescribed recommendation and an un-cortisoning programme henceforth. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

No you did not.

I\'m not saying they showed it on camera! As Mobley pointed out in a subsequent post, ammonia stops the stinging. It\'s the ammonia in urine that does the trick. I wasn\'t trying to be a wise guy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

flicking that hooded coward with my snakiness! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You won\'t have anyone to dail 911... Don\'t make me Hulk out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That was an oddly satisfying post to read, Mobley -- quite an excellent turn of phrase! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

\"flicking that hooded coward\"

Wah-hoo-hoo! &lt;giggle&gt;

King of the coupons!

flicking that hooded coward with my snakiness! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You won\'t have anyone to dail 911... Don\'t make me Hulk out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That was an oddly satisfying post to read, Mobley -- quite an excellent turn of phrase! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Why thanks G! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Only a true Perv would appreciate a piece like so. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

Yes, and unfortunately, true Pervs go mostly unappreciated during their lives. &lt;sigh&gt; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] hehe

King of the coupons!

Yes, and unfortunately, true Pervs go mostly unappreciated during their lives. &lt;sigh&gt; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] hehe

Then you must learn to make a difference G! Don\'t be ashamed of your thang! Let it hang! Let it hang! Let it hang! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thread Information