Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why women in the workplace has helped destroy USA

visit-red-300x50PNG
    </font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    I have a degree in computer science. I KNOW unix, java, c/c++ and a few scripting lanuages and I can\'t even get a fu-king interview.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Hey Druid, here\'s your government at work:

The H-1B is a temporary visa category for nonimmigrant workers that includes specialty occupations which require a bachelor’s degree or higher and fashion models of distinguished merit and ability Typical H-1B occupations include architects, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, doctors and college professors. Initially, the maximum period of admission is three years, which may be extended for an additional three years.

The H-1B visa category was established by the Immigration Act of 1990. The American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998 temporarily raised the number of H-1B visas available annually from 65,000 to 115,000 for fiscal years 1999 and 2000, and from 65,000 to 107,500 for FY 2001, while requiring a new H-1B worker fee of $500 paid by employers. The $500 fee funds training and educational programs for U.S. workers.

Default Re: Why women in the workplace has helped destroy USA

It\'s no coincidence that this post is dominated by those from the U.S. Let\'s look at other so-called \"developed\" nations. Canada, Western Europe, Australia: they all have a workers\' movement that is much more coherent than what is in the U.S.

There is no \"good\" or \"bad\" for \"the economy.\" The reality is that there are class interests in play. What is good for one class may often be contrary to the interests of another class. (Whitehall, you\'ve conflated the labor theory of value and the theory of surplus value, but I always enjoy reading your perspective.)

Let\'s looking at the class of people in families whose members must work for an outside employer to survive. This is not everyone. But it\'s the vast majority.

The workforce can always be divided into categories. There are Hutus and Tutsis (spelling?). There are short and tall. There are Dominicans and Peruvians. There are Spanish-speaking and Polish-speaking. There are black and white. And, oh yeah, there are men and women.

Employers do what they can to drive wages down. Workers do what they can to increase wages. In most developed countries, the workers were effective in acting on the fact that their best strategy is to organize themselves along class lines to increase their bargaining power with the employers.

In the U.S., the employers have generally been much more effective in convincing workers to view themselves as individuals, whose most effective strategy for self-advancement is to stand out as a more productive worker than their coworkers. Workers in the U.S. tend to look at their coworkers as competitors. Workers in other developed countries (I would call them more highly developed, but that is another argument) look to their coworkers as allies in the struggle to win better working conditions from their employers.

U.S. employers like to see the discontent of their employees directed at other employees, rather than at the employers. So whites will complain that the blacks who are hired aren\'t as productive, that the whites have to work harder for the same pay, etc.

Among the lower-paid strata, employers like it if some of the employees speak Spanish and others speak Chinese. There is bound to be some friction, but that is good from the employer\'s perspective.

Obviously, I am just scratching the surface of this book-length topic. But does anyone on this forum wish to live in a society where some people at birth are restricted from entering certain professions? India has a caste system which does something like this. You don\'t have to be a Marxist to oppose it. Leftists and rightists see the advantage to organizing a society where, as the saying goes, \"careers are open to talent.\" I want the person who is performing my plastic surgery ( [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) to have gotten the job because they are the best qualified. I don\'t want talented Nepalese, or blacks, or women excluded on any basis other than their ability to perform the job.

I am not going to go into a detailed discussion of the problems of child-rearing. All I will say is that modern society exhibits for all the exteme interrelatedness and interconnectedness of people. Contemporary society is one where none of us could survive without a vast, complex network of individuals embedded in social relations of mutual dependence. We produce for people all over the world and we consume things made by people all over the world. To keep this system afloat we agree on certain standards. We have conventions about communication: there are rules for language and meaning. We have conventions about commerce: there are rules for contracts and obligations. We have conventions for money: all of us understand the significance of those printed sheets of paper and those numbers in our bank accounts.

The nuclear family is not natural. It is a response to certain social conditions. There are countless historical examples in which child-rearing is a community responsibility. I am not talking about Plato\'s Republic where children are taken from their parents at infancy and raised communally. But I am talking about forms of social organization where the burden of child-rearing does not fall completely and solely on the shoulders of the biological mother. People organize themselves into groups so that the burdens of child-rearing are shared.

Having women doing work outside of child-rearing is not contrary to nature. Human history is replete with instances of many societies where women were productive contributors to the economy outside of the child-rearing. But the society which reaps the benefits of women\'s contribution must, in return, take on its own shoulders some of the responsibility for child-rearing. We rely on the state to organize the defense our borders and to maintain the money supply. It must provide high-quality childcare.

Banned User

Default Re: Why women in the workplace has helped destroy

Having women doing work outside of child-rearing is not contrary to nature. Human history is replete with instances of many societies where women were productive contributors to the economy outside of the child-rearing. But the society which reaps the benefits of women\'s contribution must, in return, take on its own shoulders some of the responsibility for child-rearing. We rely on the state to organize the defense our borders and to maintain the money supply. It must provide high-quality childcare.

There have been a lot of studies about daycare and it seems it is a lot better for most children to not be one of many children in a Kindergarten. A lot of children don\'t get the attention they need and deserve.

IMO it is important to have a mother (or another qualified person) around to care for children.

Franki [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Why women in the workplace has helped destroy

Franki,

I agree entirely with you. That\'s why I emphasize that high-quality daycare should be treated as a right. The studies that I have seen have showed that children in high-quality daycares have excellent outcomes. The problem is that many daycare facilities are little more than warehouses.

I was quite fortunate that my son attended a wonderful daycare. He loved the place, made great great friends, and was encouraged by the highly-trained staff to expolore his own interests in a protected and nurturing environment.

The reality is, however, that very few New York City residents could afford the tuition at that daycare.

Not too long ago there was a rather big financial scandal (again) here in the US. Some corporate bigshot was on the board of a prestigious eastside preschool. Some bigtime stock analyst got his kid into the preschool by promising the corporate bigshot to strongly recommend the stock.

Again, quality preschool is a right. It should not be the prerogative of the mighty and powerful.

Default Not Government Day Care too!!!

quality preschool is a right.

And who exactly is to pay for quality pre-school that very few can afford now? Obviously, you want ME to pay through taxes.

Sorry, I\'d rather not. I\'d much prefer stay-at-home moms take care of their own and the government NOT get anymore involved in child care and education than they are now. At least in California, the schools suck at their basic job of education and have become captive to all sorts of political interest groups pushing their agenda onto my kids.

I think we need to fix the government schools before we add day care to the problem list.

Default Re: Not Government Day Care too!!!

I don\'t go for govt. daycare. I went to church preschool, which charged very little and I was well taken care of. In elementary school, I went to an after-school program at a local college which was staffed by teaching and psychology students. It was great too. There were two of us being raised by a single mom, and she was able to afford it, even though we had very little money.

Banned User

Gotta always give it up to supermoms! SRH

My three sons were in day care, especially after the divorce. The best was \"Baby Gator\" nursery at U. of Florida. Again, cheap and staffed with student interns. As a single father, they were a god-send.

I can\'t say no day care, just don\'t offer too many mothers the temptation to dump their offspring there. That temptation increases when the government is picking up the tab.

Some day care is positive - the kids do get to mingle and socialize but aren\'t playgroups better for that?

Phero Dude

Whitehall is on.

**DONOTDELETE**

Bullshit. Nonscents is on.

There is nothing wrong with feminist theory. The problem is that that is not what we ended up with. We did not end up with choices. We ended up being forced by the economy to work. I have good skills at a shitty paying job so I don\'t make a whole lot but I can always find work. I supported my husband through a nearly five year period of off again on again unemployment. I did not get to have children because during the years that I was fertile, I did not have enough financial support to make pregnancy a wise decision. I give myself credit that I was not so deluded as to think that I had a right to the happiness of motherhood and ADC or welfare or whatever could just pay me ... but this was not a choice. There\'s no choice anymore for most of us, Lucky\'s opinion notwithstanding on the subject - it\'s nice that she has a husband who could support her if she chose not to work. I never did and I know lots of women who don\'t.

It\'s bullshit to say that women are ruining everything by working. You sound to me like the KKK. Goddamn black people taking all the jobs ... and the damn uppity women just making it worse, won\'t stay home in the kitchen where they belong ... come on.

Good daycare is fundamental to women\'s fully participating in daily life, including having jobs, and that part of the equation never worked out somehow. Government doesn\'t have to pay for it. Your employer can pay for it, like health insurance, with employee contributions. It can be somewhat government subsidized. Or it can be church supported and paid for by tithes. There are lots of ways to make daycare work - but none of them happened.

Now we have a situation where both people have to work hard to keep themselves alive and if they have children ... they do the best they can, and mostly it\'s not enough.

But you can\'t put the toothpaste back in the tube.

And no one here is old enough to remember what it was like when women were treated like second class citizens and treated like infants because they were completely dependent on men. MANY men abused that situation. It would be hard not to. The imbalance of power is too tempting. It ends up the domineering patriarch who holds the purse strings and decides what the wife may and may not do. F*CK THAT. Which is why the feminist fury in the first place. There were not even laws on the books protecting women from spousal abuse or spousal rape. We had NOTHING. Men could treat us any way they felt like.

You want to go back to that?

That ain\'t happening.

P.S. What was written in the article Bivonic posted about teachers is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. Teaching does not pay sh!t and it\'s very hard work. Private schools pay LESS than public schools, and public schools pay very little. The reason unqualified people are teaching is because the wages are so low. When I graduated college with a degree in education, I had to pass the National Teacher\'s Exam and be observed teaching in order to be certified to teach, and the first couple of years certificates were provisionary. Now anybody who is willing can step into the school system and teach. Two temp legal assistants from my firm are now teaching in dc and neither of them had even finished college, much less had any educational psychology or child development, nothing. Just willingness to show up and deal with it every day. No one who is able to do better will work that hard for that little pay. We don\'t care about our childen. We don\'t pay teachers a decent wage. Is the solution to that that women should stay home? What if they can\'t? Is the neglect of children a priori caused by women\'s working, when we know that children thrive in good daycare? ... I suggest to you that the reason the daycare idea never worked out is because men still control the purse strings and men still don\'t feel it\'s a priority.

Look at all the women whose spouses leave them after the children are born, and refuse to pay child support? I know about this firsthand because I worked for child support enforcement in my late teens and I saw hundreds and hundreds of files of women in poverty, left with small children, no wage earner ... damned if they stay home to raise their kids, for being lazy and not working and depending on the government and MY TAXES (get OVER it, we all pay taxes, that some of it should go to childcare is not the worst freaking thing the money could be used for) ... and damned if she goes to work, for neglecting the children ... and god help her if she was the good wife who stayed home and didn\'t work, therefore had no resume ...when her husband ran out with his next conquest, she really was up the creek, no job history, no skills ...

What is it we\'re supposed to do, exactly?

I swore I wasn\'t going to post on this thread.

Good post red!

Teaching does not pay sh!t and it\'s very hard work. Private schools pay LESS than public schools, and public schools pay very little.

Come to Joisey Babee... WE\'RE NUMBER 1...

Ranking of average teachers salaries:
    http://www.ncae.org/salaries/salaryrank.pdf

Or better yet, go to work for the teachers union.
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/8/7/171500.shtml

According to an internal NEA survey, professional staffers at the New Jersey Education Association rank first nationally with average earnings of $100,018 - nearly twice as much as the state\'s teachers. In Connecticut, ranked second, NEA union pros make $93,115 on average, and salaries in other states have risen by as much as 60 percent since 1991

Can all defenders of the Taliban please raise their hands? C\'mon don\'t be shy. Raise them high!

That\'s right, it\'s women\'s fault. Once the Russkies let women go to school, Afghanistan went to hell in a handbasket. Women could drive. Fuhgeddabout it! That\'s why Kabul streets were so dangerous. And they were doctors, teachers, and bureaucrats. They wore makeup, and, get this, they went outside with their faces exposed for any horny guy to see. Who could blame them if these aroused men raped a few of the more alluring women?

Women shouldn\'t be in the workplace. If they absolutely must leave the home (where they should be taking care of the kids) for some pressing reason, let\'s make sure that they are covered from head to toe.

It\'s a man\'s world. This is a biological fact. You cannot argue with nature. There is no sense constructing social rules which conflict with that which thousands of years of evolution placed in our DNA.

It\'s great that my government went to Afghanistan to root out Bin Laden\'s minions. I sleep more peacefully each night in my Manhattan apartment because of it. But really, let\'s acknowledge that they went too far. The Taliban\'s answer to feminism was right on! As rational folk we ought to be able to distinguish what was good in the Taliban from what was bad. Let\'s not toss the baby out with the bathwater.

Phero Dude

from Whitehall\'s post:
    &lt;the government NOT get anymore involved in child care and education than they are now&gt;

I still say Whitehall is on.

The government is big enough for me as it is...I\'m one of the lucky ones that got to pay twice for my children\'s educations; my taxes that went toward their public school education (which was a horrible option) and their private school tuition.

In my opinion, a teacher holds one of the most important and powerful positions in our society and should be compensated as such. How can we place a value on a child\'s development? IF the public school system can be salvaged, why not get rid of the bad teachers and reward the good ones - don\'t ask me how.

Teaching is a job I could never even attempt.

From what I hear, home-schooled children are doing extremely well in colleges. Does that tell us anything?

Default What\'s Feminism Done for You?

Dear FTR,

I can understand the need for mutual respect in a relationship (I\'ve never suggested anything but...) and to have a full and satisfying sex life, but your personal history posted above makes me ask - just what has feminism done for you?

You don\'t have a husband, you don\'t have any children, AND you have a low wage job. You don\'t seem too happy about any of these conditions. You\'re a very smart woman and you deserve better.

While you are free to make your own life, insofar as feminism has contributed to your situation, it looks to me that feminism has done you little service.

Default Re: What\'s Feminism Done for You?

While you are free to make your own life, insofar as feminism has contributed to your situation, it looks to me that feminism has done you little service.

And no one here is old enough to remember what it was like when women were treated like second class citizens and treated like infants because they were completely dependent on men. MANY men abused that situation. It would be hard not to. The imbalance of power is too tempting. It ends up the domineering patriarch who holds the purse strings and decides what the wife may and may not do. F*CK THAT. Which is why the feminist fury in the first place. There were not even laws on the books protecting women from spousal abuse or spousal rape. We had NOTHING. Men could treat us any way they felt like.

You want to go back to that?

That ain\'t happening.

I think FTR already answered that one. Her post speaks for itself. But, of course, that won\'t stop me from saying what it says.

The question asks, \"You\'re underpaid. Feminism got you a sh*tty job. You should reject feminism.\"

The answer responds, \"Yeah, there\'s more work to be done. The feminist project is not finished. Young girls today, though, with FTR\'s talent, will not endure the same fetters that encumbered her. But I\'d rather be an independent, autonomous women at a sh*tty job, running my own life, than stuck at home totally dependent on some guy for every penny and every crumb of food.\"

It\'s hard for us guys to imagine why any woman would prefer the single life to marriage.

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I guess I could find me a big daddy to take care of it all, but I\'d rather be independent.

THAT\'s what feminism has done for me. I may not have much, but what I do have is truly my own. I\'ve never had to live at someone else\'s mercy.

I don\'t want a husband. If I wanted to be married, I could have kept the husband I had. Although I sometimes regret that I did not have children, I also sometimes rejoice. Kids are not all they\'re cracked up to be, parents tell me.

I would rather have what I have than live dependent.

EDIT: Nonscents and I posted at the same time so I didn\'t see his until mine was up.

Right on. Exactly.

Perhaps another advantage ... unlike a woman who\'s never worked or had financial burdens or even dependents to provide for, I understand what it\'s like to work hard and struggle a little to make ends meet. I\'m not spoiled, never have been. That makes me a better companion when I do choose to partner. I don\'t whine, cling, pester, or nag; I don\'t ask for anything. I do for myself or go without, and either choice is fine with me because I know I can.

If you knew the women miserable as wife/mother but afraid to leave home even after their childen are grown, because they don\'t have that perfect confidence that they can take care of themselves or hack it somehow no matter how tough it gets, you\'d see why I wouldn\'t trade my life as it is for any amount of material comfort.

I would rather have what I have than live dependent.

And that is the crux of it. If a woman chooses to be dependent and stay at home to raise her kids, that is her choice. But nobody can tell her to do so. It should be a concious decision made before having kids, how we will provide for our children.

It\'s nice to say that you want your wife to stay home and raise the kids and if she wants to, great. But to take an active person, confine them to a home, let them go to the garden club or the hair dressers to gossip once a week, that\'s just short of enslavement. What a horrible waste of a good mind, trap them in a home for the next eighteen years against their will.

To say that feminism did women no good and they should go back to child rearing and home making is akin to saying the american black people who have a tough time of it should go back to slavery where everything could be provided.

I do not believe that child care is the government\'s responibility and am not willing to pay taxes for it. If you choose to have kids, you choose to take the responsibilty to provide for them.

Phero Dude

&lt;Kids are not all they\'re cracked up to be, parents tell me&gt;

How sad.

Those Poor Kids.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

There have been a couple of surveys in which the majority of respondents who had children said that if they had it to do over again, they would not have.

What do you think about this? I think the idea that \"single\" is not a viable CHOICE leads to a lot of unhappiness in life. Some of us function better living alone. Marriage and children is not necessarily the objective. I\'ve also read that I\'m not alone in choosing to be single, that more and more people are making that choice. But there is still the tinge of pity from people who, from my perspective, have been brainwashed into thinking that life is not complete without a spouse and kids.

People marry who shouldn\'t and people have children who shouldn\'t ... I wonder if they were encouraged to know themselves better growing up and to choose based on who they really are rather than to achieve a societal norm, if they would have. There is the idea that you can\'t take your place in society if you are not married and reproducing. Single people have a rightful place, too. It would save unhappiness if people didn\'t marry just because they think they\'re supposed to, ditto re having kids.

Rambling today, home with a headache, sorry.

Default Is it Pure Choice?

I\'m all for personal freedom but....

At some point we have a responsibility to something greater than ourselves. Now women have always had some degree of freedom to do what they want and it is an accepted fact that some people shouldn\'t have children. Yet someone has to assume those burdens. Most people do so willingly but feminism has taught some of our best and brightest women that being a wife and mother is a second class lifestyle. Our society is lessen by that notion and many people have been lead into leading lives that are less than they could have been.

But then I\'m a Capricorn and Red is a Saggitarius.

Phero Dude

I don\'t care even a little bit if people marry or not, or if people have children or not. Doubt if I could find anyone that thinks about it at all.

But, how shameful it must feel being a child produced by a parent who says:

&lt;There have been a couple of surveys in which the majority of respondents who had children said that if they had it to do over again, they would not have.&gt;

My first batch of three was not planned and was a huge burden on me at an early age. They know that but I explain that it was the single thing I am most proud of in my life. Also that the experience was one of the most meaningful that any human can experience.

Lot of love between us.

My second batch of two was planned based on my positive experience with the first.

Maybe that\'s why nature made sex so much darn fun - if most of us didn\'t stubble into parenthood, our rational calculations might make for an end to the human race.

If life scrambles your eggs, make an omelet!

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Is it Pure Choice?

I have a Capricorn moon.

Whitehall. You\'re so sexist you can\'t see straight. I love you anyway but it\'s just sad. Pause to consider the idea that my contribution to something greater might lie in something other than bearing you children.

I know, I know, the blow to the ego is staggering.

I hope you\'re not going for a wife number three and another batch. ...

I\'m all for personal freedom but....

At some point we have a responsibility to something greater than ourselves.

Your absolutely right that we have a responsibility to something greater than ourselves. And until we all realize that and stop trying to force others into roles we create for them, this world is going to continue to be more and more screwed up.

The simple fact is that you or I can raise children just as well as a woman can and forcing a woman to do it because it is how nature made us is bull. If you wanted to stay at home and raise children, I would support that as avidly as I support the woman\'s right to go out and work. Personally, I prefer a woman with her own mind and goals. But then, I have little desire to dominate anybody.

Whitehall. You\'re so sexist you can\'t see straight.

I guess that\'s meant as an insult. The word is, of course, a feminist construct used to stigmatize those who don\'t agree with the feminist agenda.

Feminism is an ideology that has repeatedly advocated positions that contradicted common sense, received wisdom, and scientific facts. It\'s all been about how to justify \"I wannas\" as \"We oughtas.\"

You make your choices, you live your life, and you accept the responsibilities. My complaint is that feminism has distorted society\'s rules to the detriment of men, women, and children - feminists have forced the costs of their \"independence\" upon others who have not bought into the ideology. Individual feminists have paid prices too - things didn\'t turn out as rosy as promised - many feminists refuse to admit the costs.

BTW, I would indeed be happy to start a third batch - but with a woman who had her priorities in order.

Banned User

It had to happen

BTW, I would indeed be happy to start a third batch - but with a woman who had her priorities in order.

In other words, you would be happy to bring more children into this world to face overpopulation and poor education providing the woman would conform to your desires. Is that what you are saying?

Banned User

Default THE REAL DEAL

I am starting to see this much more clearer, it is never the oppressor who understands, or cares about the oppressed are going through. It always takes years and years and at that time one will never admit it was wrong, or it sucked, but simply who cares and such.

If you had the sucky end of it, where there were many things in the world happening such as invention, the arts such as movie making, writing, or glory gained, you\'d feel the same way. Just about every women would agree they want to be able to do some of the stuff realistically that can be done by both sexes.

The reliances and exploitation some guys use as an argument on mother nature and evolution is growing very weak and very thin. Yes and did evolution think or design us to live in a world wide community, full of inventions exclusion from the woods and forrest, did evolution design us to be in school for 20 year of our life? Did evolution even design us to wear freaking clothes? No human beings were given the gift of free will, and open thought (to a certain extent) we have crafted in a way our own way of life our own prference for living. This notion that a minority of men still have is just a feeling of not wanting to share, hell we all love to feel dominate over someone and use excuses after excuses to justify this. It has been seen in persecution and treatment of almost any time in human history almost anywhere. (South Africa/Germany).

I am not throughinng common sense out of the window, and I am standing by my first posts in this thread. Some things are better suited for the opposite sex, fire fighting is all I can think of as for now.

PS. We always throw purpose and evolution into the spin well look at man himself, a child not brought up with morals and ethics is basically the same as an animal greedy, evil, self centered should we all go back to living butt as naked in the woods, or progess and make things better for everyone.

---

I also heard a story a more of a curse of bad luck that letting women into a whine seller in France is considered bad luck, later on we come to find out that women have a better sense of smell then men and the men were threatened by this and thus you have a \"reason\".

Default The Best Things in Life are Free!

Well, the kids would have ME as a father and she would have ME as a husband.

What more could any sane person want out of life?

Seriously, I would no more marry a feminist than I would a Communist or a UFOlogist or a Wiccan.

Any of the above (and there are others) are indicative of a shortage of grounding.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information