Close

Default Any other \"6 Feet Under\" devotees out there?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I can\'t tell you how much I love that show... the sarcasm, the realism, the black humor of it, is totally cool. Of course, the director Alan Ball also directed my favorite all time movie, too, \"American Beauty\", so I guess I like the genre.

So, any predictions out there? (not SPOILERS... predictions) Did Nate\'s wife take a powder, or did she truly disappear? What\'s going to happen with Ruth and Arthur? Will Olivier\'s new conquest try to kill himself, or what? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Any other \"6 Feet Under\" devotees out there?

OMG, that\'s my treat for the week, it\'s how I force myself to get the housework/laundry/shopping/pay the bills chores done. If I get everything finished, then I can get high and watch Six Feet Under. I\'m so into it. Even more than the Sopranos or Sex In The City, both of which I also love(d) - Samantha\'s my girl ....

I\'ve seen American Beauty probably 10 times and I\'d happily watch it again anytime and still see something new and still be beguiled by it. Brilliant.

Ok. Nate\'s wife had a car wreck and she\'s dead, or else she decided to jump from the rock she was sitting on when Nate called her on her cell. Ruth will move on from Arthur - she came to with full force after that conversation re \"I\'m confused,\" I think, and that\'s that, I\'m thinking soon there will be someone else for her, more suitable - Olivier\'s new conquest is gay and hasn\'t come to grips with it - I think Claire is going to sue for harassment and get Olivier fired. He needs it.

Those are my predictions.

What do you think?

Claire was SO GOOD in the fight with what\'s his face, Olivier\'s boy. She was exhiliarating to me. NO ambivalence, she was so white hot pure, I loved it. \"you\'re treating me like I\'m an a$$hole\" YOU ARE AN A$$HOLE! straight back at him in the eyes before he could take a breath, and yeah. He lied big time and put her health in jeopardy, not to mention abused her trust. I love the depiction of a young girl in that character. She\'s so spontaneous and completely genuine; there is no artifice in her. I think it took guts to create that character. But that\'s true of the whole show, too. If I\'d had a daughter, I\'d love for her to have been just like Claire.

What do you think about Nate and ... what\'s her face, Slut Queen Massage Crazy Lady, wow is she darkly fascinating or what. They keep forshadowing her coming back into Nate\'s life. It\'s too Madonna/Whore between her and Nate\'s little mommy/wife. It\'s very polarized, but ...that\'s true to life, too. When his wife and his mother were at the sink doing dishes and turned at the same time to speak to him, that was so f*cking brilliant, I flipped.

Love it love it love it, it\'s so good.

Hey, good with ... what\'s Nate\'s brother\'s name, who\'s gay and has had all the relationship crisis with his macho partner? The scene with the partner\'s dad forced him to finally leave home and forsake all others. Looks like he came up a Christian and it\'s about damn time... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What\'s his name\'s been TOO patient with him. ...

Somehow I knew you would like this show, FTR! I think one of your other posts referenced a quote from last week\'s show, and I had an idea you might be a fan. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don\'t think they\'ll let the Rico\'s wife thread fall off the face of the earth, but she may lose her nursing license when they see she\'s gotten prescription pills from work. The anti-depressants weren\'t so bad, but the xanax and the ativan... jeez. Heavy hitters!

I could even see a future episode where they question Nate in his wife\'s disappearance, (they always suspect the spouse, right?) and his alibi about being home with Mya is validated only by who - Brenda, right!? But yeah it sorta looked like from the trailers that he gets a phone call with bad news, like they find her body or something. Great. Then Nate has even MORE guilt on his head like he needs it, eh? (BTW Peter Krause in this week\'s People 50 most beautiful people issue.) What\'s Nate Sr. going to show up and say to him now? Hell, maybe he had a hand in it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

David and Keith, stick a fork in em, I guess they\'re done. I thought it interesting that Keith (hottie, yumm!) was sort of the militant one-relationship-at-a-time guy, and yet he was really getting into the threesomes and David was the one hanging back. David is probably better off with a choirboy?

And incidentally, I do sympathize/empathize somewhat with Brenda. Ok I hated her and thought she was psycho when she was f*cking around on Nate, but probably because she touched a nerve. She was acting out, I guess in some form or another we\'ve all done it.

Love Claire, too, what a great character and a beautiful actress (Lauren Ambrose). She is really learning to stick up for herself and that whole idea of getting Olivier fired... I hadn\'t thought of that, but that would be sorta cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I loved the conversation it caused her to have with her mom, but I don\'t think she actually told Ruth what the fight was about, do you?

**DONOTDELETE**

I love with the Nate/Brenda/litte wife thing how I can feel both sides of womanhood so strongly and the guy\'s standing there like a schmuck in the middle and he really is innocent. HE can\'t help it that his wife took a road trip and his old girlfriend showed up at the door in distress. He was just standing there. Imagine if wife had NOT gone missing and came home and got wind of Brenda\'s visit. She\'d have gone ballistic and he\'d still be standing there like a schmuck, pleading that he couldn\'t help it, etc. I suppose you could say he should have turned Brenda away but ... they were close, no one else would understand the situation, he was the natural person for her to come to. If I\'d been the wife I don\'t think I could have countenanced that with any kind of good grace, even though I can see that he couldn\'t help it. I do think if I were Brenda, though, I would have just gone to a hotel and kept myself to myself rather than take a chance on inflicting him harm or causing his family upset. She\'s not strong enough in herself for me. She\'s something of an energy leach, whether it\'s drugs, sex, whatever ...she\'s always trying to get her fix and for that she\'s dangerous.

But I\'ve identified with Brenda more than once, yeah. More than once. What do you do with sexual energy like that between her and Nate? It\'s torturous sh!t for both people, but they couldn\'t live together for obvious reasons. ... Earth-shattering sex - can\'t live with it, can\'t shoot yourself in the head ...

They should take Xanax off the market. Rico\'s wife was desperate ... I would hate to see her lose her license, but I\'m all about sympathy for the devil. Maybe that\'s best, I don\'t know. It\'s an excellent illustration of the power of clinical depression and maybe a wake up call for well-meaning but dim people who slap one on the back and say \"Snap out of it!\"

David and Keith give me a pain in my ass, mostly. I don\'t care much for either of them. I don\'t think they belong together in any case, but David\'s too femmy even to be my girl friend, and Keith\'s too repressed to bother with, if it were me.

Remember Ruth smelling Arthur\'s handkerchiefs? Do you think there are pheromones in snot? I wonder how many washes it takes to get booger pheromones out of handkerchiefs? hmmmm.

Do you remember the show when they revealed Nate\'s dad\'s room that he went to and nobody ever knew anything about it. That was powerful. The hidden places, the things we keep private, and the need for keeping some things private - in this culture of relentless honesty and disclosure. Some of that seems to me to be ill-advised.

I don\'t think Claire told Ruth the whole story, but I think that Ruth could handle it if she had. I think Claire has good discretion about what to tell her mother and what not. I loved their mother/daughter talk about the guys. Reminded me of me and my mom, except I could have told my mom the entirety. Maybe that\'s why I think Claire could tell Ruth. What do you think? I think Ruth can handle a lot more truth than she\'s given credit for most of the time.

Yeah Nate and Brenda seemed really hungry for one another, which is much much different from the staid boring sex Nate and Lisa had .. case in point:

MAYA giggles and coos in her crib, blissfully unaware of her parents quietly having sex behind her. NATE and LISA both lie under the covers, NATE behind LISA, thrusting. The sex is pretty passionless, kind of dull. He kisses LISA’s cheek as they hold hands.

Nate: (trying his best) This is okay?

Lisa: (whispers) Yeah.

Nate: You sure you’re comfortable?

Lisa: Aren’t you? Do you want to get on top?

He stops thrusting.

Nate: Well, I don’t have to. You want me to?

Lisa: If you want to. But I’m fine like this.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Um.. yawn???

I loved the private room Nate Sr had, too. Very telling.

Which characters demise bothered you the most? Remember the gay guy who died and David imagined he was alive and talking to him about how they were both going to hell? Or, the guy who asphyxiated himself while masturbating? The MLM dude who busted his neck diving into the pool?

The most recent one I thought disturbing was the office worker going postal. Whe they did that white-out scene where they usually show the deceased name, they had three names. eek.

Also loved the Kathy Bates character, Ruth needs for her to show up again... and my favorite recent line from the show was Carol saying, \"I just need to have my cake in a safe white place today.\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Doesn\'t everybody just feel like that sometimes?? LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Here is a good Six Feet Under fan site

**DONOTDELETE**

That sorry assed sex is because Lisa has NO confidence. Her gut knows he doesn\'t crave her sexually and she smells a rival in Brenda, so her wiring is under constant threat signal and she can\'t relax. It\'s like I was saying about Nate just being caught in the middle ... it doesn\'t MATTER that he stopped having sex with Brenda. It matters that he still wants to. And he can\'t help that. But Lisa can\'t help that she knows he wants Brenda, she knows it in her gut. It freezes her up from being able to be sexual with Nate. She imagines she is constantly being evaluated in terms of Brenda\'s performance, so she\'s afraid to even make a suggestion, much less say, No, let\'s do this instead, in response to \"Is this ok?\" I would not be surprised if she threw herself off the cliff, what do you think? That scene with her talking to Nate on the phone and the phone breaking up ... her distant, vague sort of smile ... didn\'t look promising to me.

Can you tell I can relate? LOL

But seriously, can\'t you, too?

The sex they had at the campground was more like it. Nate was more dom.

It\'s funny, the people who die don\'t make that much impression on me. I can\'t really remember them much.

I loved the Kathy Bates character. That\'s a common sort for her to play - did you see Dolores Claiborne, or Fried Green Tomatoes? Yeah, she was good for Ruth, I agree, that was a constructive friendship and I wouldn\'t mind seeing her come back at all.

That safe white place thing ... it\'s a literary allusion but I can\'t quite place it. Either William Carlos Williams or Hemingway. \"A clean, well lighted place\" something like that. let me see if I can find the reference for you.

**DONOTDELETE**

It\'s a vague allusion to Hemingway\'s short story, A Clean Well-Lighted Place. Wow. That was a loaded allusion, too. The story\'s online if you do a google search, with good commentary, too.

Thank God, I really can\'t relate to Lisa. I\'ve got a SIL like her though, no Walt Disney films in the house,... they\'re \"too violent\", Good Gawd Earth Mother puke! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Get REAL!! (I know that\'s not the part you meant about relating to her, but that\'s what I remember about her) I do give Lisa props for booking a massage with Brenda, that took cajones! I don\'t think I could do that. And Brenda was handling it in her ultra-cool brand new sobriety way, \"that\'s kind of stalkerish\".. I was like \'no way did you just say that, Miss Former Psycho Bitch!\'

I would not be surprised if she threw herself off the cliff, what do you think? That scene with her talking to Nate on the phone and the phone breaking up ... her distant, vague sort of smile ... didn\'t look promising to me.

It still seemed to me like someone who wanted out. She got her first taste of freedom in a while, and remember how she didn\'t want Maya to see her leave? But still I think she is too ultra-responsible to leave willingly. I mean, not just walk. Suicide maybe, injury, yeah, or death, but not just blow Nate and Maya off.

And btw, it just occurred to me that cell phone call was another artful metaphor for all of the communication in their relationship. Breaking up, can\'t hear everything clearly, not sure you\'re being heard, and then the hang-up. I mean, this is such a brilliantly written series, you could literally take an entire semester of film school and study this show. And I love dissecting it in this way, too!

Can you tell I can relate? But seriously, can\'t you, too?

Now I am thinking you mean the depression part. Yes, to an extent. And the photography in the promo where they show someone literally \'holding on by their fingernails\' is just very striking and beautiful. They\'ve got the beautifully disturbing thing very much covered. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

The sex they had at the campground was more like it. Nate was more dom.

See that is why I am so AURAL. I would love for a guy to talk to me like that. WOOF!

That safe white place thing ... it\'s a literary allusion but I can\'t quite place it. Either William Carlos Williams or Hemingway. \"A clean, well lighted place\" something like that. let me see if I can find the reference for you.

Got me there, I had no idea. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Will you be my partner at SFU trivia night?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I skipped a beat re Brenda\'s reaction to Lisa\'s booking the massage, too - I had the exact same thought, i.e., who the f*ck are YOU? No you did not just say that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    It took cojones on Lisa\'s part but the extent of desperation that act revealed was palpable. The massage scene was hard for me to watch.

Speaking of hard to watch, omg, Brenda and BILLY ...

I agree Lisa would never just bail as in walk off. Unless she hit her head and was in some fugue state/amnesia thing, but they\'re better writers than that.

Yeah, Nate was good that time. He didn\'t talk too much - just enough, and just the right things said. I won\'t forget those images soon.

I think the characters are more fully human than any I\'ve ever seen on tv before. I wish that kind of television could go mainstream.

Have you ever read an author named David Foster Williams? He has some short stories - his novels are TOMES - but he has a theory of modern aesthetics that I think SFU really resonates with, which is that modern art forms, especially electronic media, have become so sanitized as to be mindless; we\'ve come to insist on everything we watch being nothing more than \"entertainment,\" and our idea of \"entertainment\" has come to mean \"feel good.\" He says that art should MOVE you and should illustrate all the sides of the human condition, in order for it to fulfill its purpose. I SO love to read him when he\'s on about that. I like realism. If that were more the kind of tv we watched than The Price Is Right or sitcoms - I mean, imagine the dialog you could have from watching SFU with kids. I would. I think pre-teens on up, with parental supervision, could benefit from the after show discussions.

But most people would find it too disturbing. ...

Do you think that good art should disturb you? One of the reasons among many that I love the show so much is that I think it fulfills civic responsibility. If we weren\'t constantly bombarded with the message that if we\'re not HAPPY ALL THE TIME, something\'s really wrong with us, we\'d be better off - and if we had more messages that people are inherently flawed creatures, maybe we wouldn\'t be more tolerant ...

ok, off my soapbox, I\'m going to bed. G\'night. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey girl. I am not fully awake yet, but I agree with your artistic assessment of SFU... and yet there\'s also the basic realization that when I watch it, I feel a tiny bit less f*cked up, compared with these character\'s lives. LOL Because they are belivable, and in pain, etc.

The big attraction for me with American Beauty is 1. the main character, unknowingly one year from his death, decides to stop living life according to what is expected of him, he tells the truth, and he does what the hell he wants with his time and 2. it reminds us that our number could be up at any moment, too. Which in my book is always a good reminder. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

And I was thinking on the Vanessa thing again last night. Do you ever see depression honestly depicted on mainstream TV? I mean the thing went on for four months for her, shuffling around in her bathrobe, feeding the kids rice three times a day, disheveled household, not remembering to take meat out to thaw in order to have something to cook for dinner... yikes I\'ve been there, but thank God not for 4 months. You always saw Rico trying to coax her \'snap out of it\', and that scene where he realized the head lice came home with him, and was not due to Vanessa\'s neglect.. funny. I betcha he never told her! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway I have every confidence that they will continue to deal with the depression theme in an honest way, not sanitized, and no easy cutesy who-shot-JR endings (it was just a dream). Cmon, how [bad word] was that. And everybody thought it was great tv. I bet most of America felt ripped off! Here HBO shows the nitty gritty and the realism and they are racking up the nominations, too. I hope they set a new standard for the other networks.

One other thought. I heard they are creating a whole new channel for all the reality shows. My thought - thank God! At least they can corral all those idiots up in one ranch. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

\"corral all those idiots up in one ranch\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Chain them up together and drop them into the middle of the ocean ... LOL

If I get everything finished, then I can get high and watch Six Feet Under.

BTW Renee, what night do you watch? I have a friend in Ill. who watches it Monday? or is it Tuesday (I watch it Sundays) and I have to be very careful that I don\'t send her an email ruining the episode for her. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m already grieving that there is only three more episodes for this season. But I did order a new set of the first season\'s DVDs from half.com for under $50, so that will have to get me through the summer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I watch it on Sunday nights. It\'s my farewell to the weekend.

**DONOTDELETE**

OMG OMG OMG was that good or what.

Enticing, this show drives in insane with frustration that I\'d never be able to use it for a high school English class, it would SO kick ass. I could have the kids watch it on Sunday nights as homework, and on Monday we\'d discuss it, and there would be hugely relevant to them issues that teens would want to talk about, the unexpected pregnancy, infidelity, gender identity issues, mother/daughter issues, issues dealing with death, I mean, there\'s so much. The kids would be bouncing off the walls arguing and discussing and I\'d put them into groups once I figured out which were talking along the same themes, and I\'d walk around the groups listening, and then I\'d assign papers, or I\'d point out to them that they had been excited about a certain point, and not to talk it, write it, go ... so they\'d take notes in their journals and then they\'d come back in the next day and read each other\'s points of view and comment and make suggestions on each other\'s papers and share thoughts, and I\'d collect the papers and review for spelling, grammar, general mechanics, and write notes in the margins, and I\'d make up spelling lists out of the words they\'d misspelled and we\'d drill spelling and oh my god. I would love to see 10th graders all fired up and writing and speaking and learning how to present ideas and work in groups and speak f*cking English ... and the principal would be pissed off because the chairs weren\'t in rows the room was a mess, and the teachers next door to me would complain about the noise and the parents would never go for it ...

ok, nevermind.

It was good, wasn\'t it? What was your favorite part?

I\'m worried about Claire. Ok, she\'s pregnant and doofass appears bearing gifts with apologies and swearing eternal love ... and she would be consigning herself to eternal misery if she married that boy and she knows it ... on the other hand, kill your child? ...

Didn\'t I tell you that someone was about to turn up for her mother?!? Deux ex machina up turns God in the face of a man for Ruth. I cried, I admit it. He\'s lovely. Who knows what will happen but it\'s a respite, anyway ...

Keith and David. <yawn>

When Nate was sitting up trying to feel what could be going on, and he\'s running scenarios in his mind ... for a second I thought Lisa actually did walk in the door and just before they showed it was meant to depict what was running through his mind, I thought to myself, GASP, that\'s the most manipulative thing I\'ve ever seen in my LIFE ... worry them to death and then show up so he could feel what it would be like to lose her, so he would appreciate her better ... but it looks like she\'s not coming back, and the pity is, you can say to yourself that you should realize what you have while you have it, but you often can\'t till it\'s gone much as you would like to.

Rico and his wife. Ok, the infantilization of the dependent wife, it\'s shocking. Please may I, please may I, please honey do you mind, oh thank you baby. She has NO power, it\'s as if she\'s another child ...what her sister said is true, he needs to let go some control to her, and especially to figure her wants and needs into the budget, but ... on the other hand, one is not encouraged particularly to let go control to someone who just went out and bought some $3,000.00 worth of stuff with no concurrence from the person in who\'s name the debt was incurred ....

Tolja Claire was thinking about legal action toward that teacher, and she\'s so right, don\'t you think? What he\'s doing is abuse.

Brenda\'s mother, oh my god.

What did I miss ...

Girl, you are crazy! I\'ve never seen such a long sentence in my life, as your first paragraph. ROFL!

The phone rang about five minutes after the show was over and it was my friend in Ill asking if my guts were still knotted up over the show. They were!

Thes best, and I mean best-waaah-made-me-cry part was the knock on the motel room door and David and Claire standing there! OMG I bawled my ass off.

Ruth reminds me of my mom. Or how she used to be anyway, total stick your head in the sand and swear life is just fine the way it is.

When Claire puked I was like \"Oh please let her be just upset, don\'t have her be PREGNANT!\" (she\'ll miscarry, I hope. Or is that too easy for the writers of this show?)

At the end, that vacant stare of Nate sitting in the car, I could swear I hear him thinking of just offing himself. That was a creepy feeling.

And yes, I had that little shiver of \"was she *playing* him!?\" during the scene of Lisa coming back. For just a moment when they showed her facial expression while she hugged him, I thought we\'d see an evil glimmer of satisfaction, and we didn\'t. I KNOW that when these DVDs are released, and they have the directors comments on them, they will totally admit they staged it that way. Freakin brilliant!

Olivier, the bi that\'s fun to hate. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Claire\'s assessment of him, the words she hurled at him, perfect scene. I am SO getting the transcript of that tomorrow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

That\'s it for now. Poor Nate!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Ruth is exactly like my mom, too, in vehement denial most of the time.

I thought Claire was throwing up from stress - then I thought bullemic - then I saw the EPT. OH. NO.

Oh I forgot to comment on Rico and Vanessa. Um, family violence afoot? That SIL has to go, that\'s whatcha call an ENABLER. Gyaawd. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I don\'t think Vanessa is normally so \"can I honey please may I have the credit card?\" She\'s a nurse and she works full time for God\'s sake! (Most nurses I know have balls of steel) And I don\'t know about latina women, but if you got a latino man you can\'t be slacking in the alpha department. You gotta stay on your toes, honey. Think they\'ll try to blame the whole depression thing on him? The fact that he want out to the dance lesson without her kinda surprised me, though. Dunno...

OTOH, SIL shows signs of abusive behavior for spending. Maybe Vanessa\'s thing is pills, and SIL\'s high is from spending. *shrug* Send em to Dr. Phil. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Please tell me I didn\'t see a flash of SIL coming onto Rico for the final episode... ewww ... don\'t go there....

I was rewatching the last episode. The thing about this show is they hardly ever include incidental things that have no significance. Even the lyrics to the songs they play in the background... I love looking at the details.

In this one, you notice that everyone is pulling back into their roles. Ruth has George. When Claire asks Nate and David what they are doing tomorrow, (She doesn\'t say she needs a ride to Planned Parenthoood) they both said \"Same old sh!t\" and that they\'re busy. When Nate wanted Claire to watch Mya, she said \"Sorry I was busy\" and no one is really talking about what they\'re going thru. Claire hangs up on Russell. When Brenda calls, Nate pulls the phone from the wall. David finally steps away from Keith.

But the wildest scene had to be the trippy blonde explaining her f-cked up tattoo. The little people go in one side, they come out this end in little parts, (remember her dad was a mass murderer? did he ever dismember anyone?) they go back in the tube, disappear for awhile, (near her vagina) for a long while, and then they come back out this side whole people again.

Is that a description of life, or what? You get torn apart, dismembered, go into the dark for awhile, and if you\'re lucky, you get put back together again for another go at it.

And did you hear her description of her father? \"He wasn\'t a bad dad. Well he did beat up my brother a bunch of times, but he never hurt MEEE...\" Ewww. RUN NATE RUN!!!!

And six marriages? That\'s like WAY TOO MANY go\'s at it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

The whole thing with the blonde was trippy, but Nate tends to act out sexually when he\'s under pressure, it\'s just what he does. ... Good insight about her tatoo.

The 6 marriages pissed me off. DAMMIT. It\'s NEVER the fairy tale. I knew he was too good to be true. But Ruth\'s going for it anyway, so what the hell. She\'s so good at denial, if something does come up wrong, she won\'t know it for years anyway.

The Rico thread frustrates me. They\'re taking too long to develop it. She\'s depressed, she\'s depressed, she\'s depressed, she\'s on pills, she\'s depressed ... where are we going with this, for pete\'s sake?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It\'s not holding my interest.

Loved Claire and Brenda and that was weird. Brenda came there to be there for somebody, but it turned out it wasn\'t Nate, it was Claire. I think she was just what Claire needed in that instance.

What will I do with no episode this weekend? ARG!

I\'ve been dealing with the withdrawl by looking back thru the season 1 dvd\'s. There are so many kewl lines and nuances that I catch again as I go thru them.

Like one.. the episode where Brenda comes over for dinner and Ruth catches her son Nate giving Brenda oral in the parlor prior to dinner. Well of course, Nate is just mortified, and as they\'re sitting down, he\'s mumbling about how they really have to cut this meal short, they have somewhere to be. And Dave (who doesn\'t know about the oral) says \"Oh, aren\'t you staying for dessert? It\'s peach cobbler!\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Nate looks a little shocked, and Brenda goes \"yum.\"

ROFLMAO!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

No DVDs, no DVD player, no nothing, I\'m just cut off and bummin\'. Come on June first! and then there isn\'t any more ...

Is Sex and the City coming back for another episode? That will be some consolation.

I think DVD players are under $50 nowadays?

or just go rent the VHS tapes at Blockbuster! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes, SATC has it\'s sixth season beginning Sunday June 22.
    http://www.hbo.com/city/ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Guess it\'s just not a priority. About once a year, maybe, it occurs to me it would be nice to have a DVD player, but it\'s not a burning desire.

I\'d rather have \'mones or new shoes or something else for my $50.00. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Stranger

i love that show!

Default Six Feet Under Season Finale

It\'s Monday, which means Six Feet Under post-mortem...

And btw FTR I wanted to tell ya that my favorite thing about DVD\'s are the \'extras\' they put on the discs, like an interview with the director, a cast member, or most especially, the director\'s commentary. There is one accompanying season one/episode 13 where Mike Ball makes some very interesting comments. One of which is - when they first went on location to shoot a cemetary scene, they came across a huge headstone with the word BALL on it, and so Mike Ball was like \"Well we must be in the right place!\" LOL (Wow, I\'d have been creeped out) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

First of all I had to re-watch the episode on VCR this morning, it was a really well-acted one! Here\'s my two favorite lines:

David, on breaking up: \"I felt so free, you know, for like a week, but then all of a sudden, within days, I went from \'Yay, I\'m independant\' to \'Holy F#ck I\'m going to die alone\'.\"

Nate, to George, upon receiving unsolicited advice: \"You\'re not going to try and lay some homespun wisdom instant bonding load of horse-sh!t on me right now, are you? \'Cause that would be seriously obnoxious.\"

The scene with Claire going to the cemetary to find her father\'s grave. All the people in death are like having a party, a carnival. Gabriel looking so healthy and relaxed and happy! (even though he\'s dead) Seeing Lisa and the baby together.

The air-clearing talk with Keith and Dave, when they both confessed they\'d had an attraction to each other before they even met. Did you see Keith\'s FACE when Dave confessed to sleeping with Patrick? MAN he is a great actor! All this emotion crossed his face in like the space of 5 seconds - Shock - Anger - Pain - Numbness and Relief - that Dave had told him. Masterful. Some of the best acting is delivered when there aren\'t any lines.

Also, I think this is the FIRST time that they showed David interacting with Nate Sr. They\'ve had everyone else see him - Nate, Ruth, and Claire, but never Dave before. I was LOL when Nate Sr. called him a slut. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wasn\'t it odd that Ruth seemed the most mature and grounded of anyone during this episode? Even during the most cruel and hurtful insults that Nate was hurling her way, she didn\'t break. She held her ground that Nate is the one on the self-destruct path, and that he\'s set it up, not Ruth.

Claire - bawling her head off at the wedding - what was that? Latent guilt or grief over her abortion? Over not being with someone?

Continuity - When I first saw Claire enter that big stately mausoleum, I was thinking it\'s the famous one in Westwood where Marilyn Monroe is interned? But the mat outside the entrance says \"Mountain View\" (Which is in Silicone Valley)

Last continuity comment - How did Nate know where Brenda lives?

Rico - talk about awkward. But, kind of refreshing to see him off balance, he\'s always been so \"I don\'t get what you mean\" when anyone else talks about their relationship problems. \"I\'m done\" ???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Six Feet Under Season Finale

Hearing the behind the scenes stories just now breaks the 4th wall for me. I don\'t want to know that stuff until it\'s completely over. But then I think I will buy a DVD player and get the set.

Nate, to George, upon receiving unsolicited advice: \"You\'re not going to try and lay some homespun wisdom instant bonding load of horse-sh!t on me right now, are you? \'Cause that would be seriously obnoxious.\"

That line and that whole scene was sheer perfection to me.
    I SO relate to Nate in that instance. I don\'t know what experience you\'ve had with step parents suddenly foisted upon you, but man oh man could I relate to Nate. This complete stranger wants to act like \"dad,\" chooses this moment of pain in Nate\'s life to impose his presence and talk a bunch of hallmark card philosophy. F*ck that. Not happening. It was perhaps well-meant, but disrespectful, I thought, of Ruth\'s intended. I like him for her but he needs to back the f*ck off with regard to her kids.

The conversations with the dead people -- what did Gabriel say? \"Life just was not the most ideal environment for me\"? something like that ... and Claire asks doesn\'t he miss it, and he says no, smiles, shrugs. That\'s a point of view I never thought I would see depicted on television. Brave. Shocking and brave.

Lisa taking care of Claire\'s baby and Claire\'s face when she realized whose baby that was. I cried. There are people who believe such things happen in the afterlife. I don\'t know what happens but it would be nice if it were something like that.

Keith\'s face was hugely, believably expressive. But this sudden sensitivity from Mr. [bad word] I had a hard time adjusting to.

I thought it was significant that the things that first attracted them to each other are also the things that pulled them apart - the fact that Keith was a cop, the fact that David is so femmy ...

I enjoyed their little tiff in the kitchen over wedding cake. They\'re finally learning not to take everything so seriously, maybe.

She held her ground that Nate is the one on the self-destruct path, and that he\'s set it up, not Ruth.

I love that show for its excellent, healthy depiction of anger in relationships. I really love that while the people are just jumping up and down screaming Jesus Christ angry and yelling at the tops of their lungs, the people they are yelling at are actually still listening, generally don\'t chastise them for yelling or insist that they calm down, or do anything to minimize their feelings - they have very honest dialogue through anger. I think that\'s SO great. I could certainly understand Nate\'s rage, too, and was nodding vigorously - Ruth may not have articulated it, but there was no question about what she wanted from Nate when his father died, and he complied, he tried to fulfill what he perceived as his obligations as eldest son, and now resents her for not putting aside her personal concerns for the sake of his well-being - the situation was hugely, intensely frustrating for him because he wants things to be fair and even at his age still expects them to be. I loved that he was dead honest about how he felt and how he saw things and she didn\'t flinch from it.

Claire - bawling her head off at the wedding - what was that? Latent guilt or grief over her abortion? Over not being with someone?
    I don\'t know what that was about either. Ruined innocence, maybe. Her mother picking up again, being a bride, incandescent, hopeful, youthful, while Claire is feeling defiled and I think a little jejune, certainly disenchanted with her first forays into adult life.

I BAWLED at Claire and Ruth, when Claire gave her mother wedding jewelry, I just broke up. Claire\'s a good girl. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] She hasn\'t burdened her family at all with her personal problems and could rise to the occasion to celebrate her mother\'s happiness. Heroic. Those acts of heroism that nobody even knows about. I thought she was noble.

Last continuity comment - How did Nate know where Brenda lives?
    I dunno, but I was kind of glad he showed up at her door and gratified that she didn\'t turn him away, although, to my mind, at least, you could see her thinking about it. SHE owes him and SHE knows it -- if his mother won\'t acknowledge her debts to Nate, Brenda\'s debts to Nate are so glaring she has no choice but to acknowledge them or have to face some facts about herself that she wouldn\'t want to face. The threat in his eyes when she opened the door ...
    They\'re each other\'s wounds and they\'re each other\'s healers, too, Nate and Brenda.

I don\'t get Rico. I was glad to see it wasn\'t SIL coming on to him that we saw in the previews, but the stripper.

It was very intense, that last episode. I am going to look at it again on the re-runs. There was too much for me to process as it was happening.

It\'s just unbelievably good, that program. Unreal.

Thread Information