Close

Phero Dude

Default interesting scent finding (particularly for women)

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Floral Spice Fragrance May Disguise Flab
    Study: Aroma Alters Men\'s Perception Of Women\'s Weight
    POSTED: 3:05 p.m. EST April 2, 2003

Some women turn to baggy clothes to disguise their extra flab, but a new study found that they might want to spray on some perfume instead.

A decade-long study found that men perceived women to be 12 pounds lighter when wearing a pleasant, floral-spicy perfume.

The study was conducted by researchers at the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago.

\"We didn\'t actually reduce the weight of women who wore the aroma, but rather, caused men to believe she weighed less,\" said Dr. Alan Hirsch, the study\'s lead researcher.

But not just any perfume works, he said. After testing over 100 different odor combinations -- including butterscotch, cigarette smoke, grapefruit, and pepperoni pizza -- the floral-spice combination was the only odor found to work.

\"It acts as the olfactory equivalent to vertical lines,\" said Hirsch, noting the visual illusion of reduced girth while wearing a blouse designed with up and down stripes. \"In earlier studies, we found that sniffing the odors of green apple, banana, and peppermint caused a 30-pound weight loss over 6 months, but people wanted something that worked even faster.\"

The implications of these findings are more than just what to wear before going out on a date. Hirsch is now looking at whether this same odor can be used to help self-perception of body size in teenagers with anorexia nervosa. But while this aroma reduced men\'s view of a woman\'s weight, researchers could not find any odor that influenced a woman\'s ability to estimate weight.

\"Either women are too adroit at guessing other people\'s weight or men are just easily influenced by how a woman smells,\" Hirsch said.

This study will be presented at a meeting of the Association for Chemoreception Sciences on April 9 to 13 in Sarasota, Fla.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/2085620/detail.html

Enlightened One

Default Re: interesting scent finding (particularly for wo

Add couplins and pheromones in terms of synthetics, and u maximise that impact to a human exaction.

On a tangentially related note: I\'ve seen a couple of references of late to studies showing lavender scent having a calming effect. Does anyone use lavender essential oil? Is it a scent appropriate for a straight male?

I must say that I much prefer to use essential oils as cover scents than commercial EDT or cologne. DrSmellThis got me into using sandalwood again for the first time in many years. I find it a lot less irritating than most of the commercial scents.

Default Re: interesting scent finding (particularly for women)

Good post xvs.

From personal experience, i would agree with that.

In fact this is extreemly good evidence supporting olfactory perseption in the visual/olfactory dispute.

Sadhu
    I´don´t know I lost my compass,you have to go and check my old profile

Lavender has been used for donkeys years for it´s calming effects. It´s also used in skincare products and baths to help soothe skin.

Sadhu

I already knew about this apple, banana stuff but the floral-spicey perfume, no I think that´s new to me. So where´s the perfume then [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sadhu

PS In theory though, this would also mean that your breasts will appear to be smaller, right? What woman would want this type of effect though?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] You\'re funny

Sadhu

men can use it to make their tits and beer guts look smaller. I reckon this would be of more interest to guys.
    If it would aid weight loss - great for all. However how many people are THAT easily fooled into thinking: No this person is not 30 pounds overweight at all...I´ll shag ´em and won´t die of suffocation, yipee

Thread Information