Close

Page 1 of 12 111 ... LastLast
    Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Default The World\'s Greatest Perfume

visit-red-300x50PNG
    You all wanted an answer to the question of the finest perfume, and here mine is.

Amouage.

I\'m almost finished saving my money for it, but have already gone through a few samples. This perfume, whether the men\'s or women\'s formula, is to die for.

A perfume of kings and queens, speaking literally, it is devastating as a romanic attractant. It is virtually flawless.

It is almost purely natural, if not absolutely so, and contains all the finest and rarest substances of perfuming, including the finest and rarest silver frankincense, myrrh, rock rose, jasmine, patchouli, sandalwood, peach, and lily of the valley. It contains real civet, ambergris, and deer musk (the ancient, mystical aphrodisiac combination), and the finest versions of these! The animal fixatives give the perfume incredible lasting power.

Its powdery, musky finish is the perfect complement for all pheromones. For those of you that think there is some kind of magic to the baby powder scent, this is sorcery indeed!

It is in a different class altogether than any of the perfumes or colognes discussed in this forum (not that some of those aren\'t excellent). The formula was 2000 years in the making. The new Dia version (which is not even my favorite version for men) has been called \"the greatest accomplishment in the history of perfuming\" by experts, partially because it took 200 years just to get this certain kind of rose into it in just the right way when the prized rose was a certain number of minutes old. Many of the finest cathedrals and temples use it for ceremonies.

Amouage, which means something like \"waves of emotion\" in French, was commisioned by the Sultan of Oman to revive the lost perfuming tradition of the region. The Sultan told one of the greatest French Masters, who had created perfumes fo Chanel, Hermes, and others, to \"spare no expense.\" So he didn\'t.

At $200.00 a pop, it is a bargain. The company loses money on it at this price, but continues to offer it out of respect for the tradition. For men I like the original version for attracting women, and for women I like either the original version, or the \"Dia\" version; which is for day wear and has a more prominent rose note.

The original bottles are made of gold. It is for the most special of occasions. You will smell very rich, in both senses of the word.

By the way, since this the phero forum, I should note that the first time I wore it, a 38 year old woman I never met before invited me back to her house after an hour long conversation. She mauled me with sloppy kisses as soon as we walked through the door, and told me she wanted to lick me all over. She kept jamming her nose against my wrists swooning over the smell (\"Ooooohmygaaaawd!\"), so I think the perfume had a lot to do with it. I left with my pants intact out of not wanting to hurt her feelings down the road, but she had already left a message on my machine by the next morning asking me out. By the way, I discovered later I was wearing the women\'s version.

Oh, and here is the link, in case anybody is interested:

http://www.amouage.com/
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 12-01-2004 at 12:15 PM.

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: The World\'s Greatest Perfume

YOU ROCK.

Banned User

Thanks for the link. I found a few perfumeries near me on that site that carry Amouage and I am going to take a whiff of it.

Franki [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The only place they sell it in the NW is Portland, OR. Is that the place you found it? How much is it?
    Bruce

Phero Dude

Thanks for this excellent info. - I think I will purchase it but first will try and get hold of some samples.

Sadhu
    I´don´t know I lost my compass,you have to go and check my old profile

Do you guys want me to put this link in the new forum database thread?

Dr. Smell this: IF you could pick one product in your arsenal, would it be Amourage, or a pherome? Just one product...

Also, are you recomending Amourage Gold or Amourage Dia?

And you say it blows everything out of the water???

Phero Pro

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rmehta20022002-shop/amouagfpsl1-4hp.html>$91.99 Amouage - Women\'s Version</a> (regularly $135)

Phero Pro

I imagine he means the \"Gold\" Version, looks like it sells for about $160 from the amouage.com site, that\'s for 50ml (1.7 FL OZ)

Phero Pro

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.soukofoman.com/goldcristal.html>$155 for Mens Gold Version</a>

Phero Pro

Jackpot:

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.parfumsraffy.com/amouage.html>$30 Amouage sample set 8 samples</a>
    Women\'s: Gold , Silver Cristal, Dia, Ubar
    Men\'s: Gold, Silver Cristal, Silver Cologne, Dia

Phero Pro

Hmmm looks like a <a target=\"_blank\" href=http://store.yahoo.net/soukofoman/cologne.html>knockoff for $115</a>

Yes, Bruce. That\'s also the place I\'ve been bragging about on the forum -- The Perfume House on Hawthorne Blvd. The men\'s classsic formula is $170.00 there. Ask for Chris Tsefalis, as he is one of the world\'s foremost experts and \"Noses\", a great storyteller, and a super guy. Their website sucks, but you can use it to contact him:

www.theperfumehouse.com/main.html

I would pick Amouage, no question, over any pheromone. For one thing, the animal fixatives have hundreds of pheromones already in them.

Hmmmm...Blows everything else out of the water? So far, I\'d have to say everything commercially available, yes. But keep in mind that just because a perfume is The Greatest, doesn\'t mean you will like it the best on yourself. You might like a $40.00 perfume, or whatever...

As I said, for guys I would recommend the Gold formula, but make sure you say the original, classic version, as some people mix it up when you say \"Gold\".

Phero Enthusiast

Do you think the sample set is a big bargain?

I wouldn\'t necessarily trust the Yahoo shopping link, as there are different products, and you don\'t know what you are getting...

That might be an original, not a knockoff, but keep in mind there are various produsts the perfumery sells, and that I am recommending the original, classic version, due to the aphrodisiac bass notes in that version!

The sample set is a good place to start if you can\'t go smell it in person at a boutique. But these are just tiny samples.

Phero Enthusiast

It\'s stocked by Harrods apparently. So perhaps I\'ll take a short tube ride to see my friend Mohammed and see how much he charges for a small bottle. If I\'m lucky, I may be able to persuade the nice lady behind the fragrance counter for a few samples [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Doc:

Do you know how much is in each of the sample sets?

Paul

Phero Dude

Are you referring to the Amouage Gold version?

http://www.amouage.com/amouage_gold_men.htm

Nordstrom\'s said they don\'t have it but could get me a sample. They have the silver cristal version in stock: $110.

I don\'t know about the lead crystal. It\'s been shown that wine stored in lead crystal leaches lead from the crystal. I don\'t want to be putting that on my skin. The bottle looks great, but if I got it I think I would decant it into some plain glass...

Phero Pro

Yeah that\'s the stuff. Based on what I read in this thread I\'d recommend either the Gold version or the sampler, I\'d be hesitant to layout $100+ for the silver unless I knew it was worth it.

Wine is slightly acidic, all that tannic acid. Lead in the crystal could leach out in this case, if porrly made. Perfume is in an alcohol base and probably not acidic to any degree. Plus, you will only be using tiny dabs of the stuff onto the skin - you ain\'t slugging down quarts of the stuff.

I wouldn\'t worry about the lead crystal bottle.

**DONOTDELETE**

Good perfume has always been bottled in lead crystal. Read up on Lalique, for example.

http://www.lalique-eboutique.com/

OK, I am sold. But my sceptic alarms are all firing at a high rate when I hear that they don\'t make any money on their $200 perfume. Having worked for companies that produced EDP and EDT, I know that there were always higher margins on the high-priced items. I am sure that it\'s a great product and that many will find it worth the high price tag. But is there any credible evidence that they are selling this as a loss-leader, like a carton of milk?

Do they make anything on the $1,600 version that comes in the gold flask?

I heard this personally from a \"nose\", a top professional in the industry. I can\'t confirm it.

I think one ingredient is like $5000.00/gram. So it wouldn\'t be suprising...This product is very different, and there is also the involvement of the Sultan that complicates things...

Well now I am afraid to buy some, since I don\'t want to put them out of business

Seriously, though, thanks for the response. I can\'t imagine getting a more credible report on the profitability of an item than that.

hmmmm....i wanna try this stuff too....do any specific stores carry it?

Stranger

I live in the UK

I emailed the main admin store in the UK and they said they would post me some samples of their fragrance range, which was nice...

Phero Enthusiast

Jonoboy: what\'s their e-mail or telephone number? Haven\'t had a chance to get to Harrods to see what they smell like.

Page 1 of 12 111 ... LastLast

Thread Information