Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Default Re: Top Colleges/Universities

visit-red-300x50PNG
    All I know about Rice is that we beat the crap out of them in football when I went to Ohio State. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

UTAustin has a better rep than you think. Everybody knows it. And they\'ve been competing with Ohio State for the last few years to be the largest campus in the US. My only advice, since you want to be a lawyer, is to go out and meet everybody you can--so be ACTIVE, and be polite to everyone you meet. You never know when you\'ll meet some of the most important people of your life, and you might as well make sure they have a good impression of you when you meet them. Make sense? Lots of lawyers in my family, if you can\'t tell. Good luck!

Phero Pharaoh

UT is a fine school, and Austin is a kick ass town too.

I have a cousin that teaches at Austin. He writes papers and attends conferences while disgruntled TA’s teach his classes. Austin is great town, with an excellent music scene; but that doesn’t give you much motivation for study.

I think Whitehall’s advice is the best so far. I would only add that small private colleges offer the best undergraduate education, as a rule, and Berkley has a very fine Law program.

Phero Pharaoh

Alright everyone!

I need help in making a college decision! I have two possible Texan schools that I am interested in:

1. The University of Texas at Austin (Longhorns)
    2. Texas A&M University (Aggies)

I am 150% sure about one thing, I am going to one of the two. I don\'t know if colleges in other states are like this, but these two colleges are the top two in Texas and at the same time they are major rivals. They both have great alumni networks across Texas. UT is #1 and A&M is #2. The major difference between the two is that at A&M, there is this \"family-like\" atmosphere, everyone likes each other and it\'s easy to make friends. It\'s sort of like this at UT, but not as much as A&M.

Has anyone even heard of Texas A&M? How would one decide on such an issue? This is one weakness for us Libras, we consider every single aspect of both sides, which can make us indecisive. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

- Krish

Phero Dude

Dude you gotta decide this stuff for yourself. Only you know what it is you want to get out of college so just choose which one will provide what you want to the greater degree.

I have personal biases, all based on football and people I know. I know some folks in Ag at A&M and I really like them all. But I like Texas football.
    It\'s up to you. Football rivalry shouldn\'t make a difference to you. It\'s a big deal in my state too, but football shouldn\'t decide your career. Which one has the better program? Which one is closer? Which one treats you better? My sister\'s choice was made because her first choice (due to rep and location) lost her app TWICE, and her second choice called for an interview within 3 days of her mailing the app and treated her like a long-lost relative.
    See how they treat you. Go to both and look around--get a feel for the atmosphere. You\'ll know where you need to be.

And good luck!

Phero Pharaoh

Hey,

Thanks for the tips. I\'ll certainly use it in making my decision (which should probably be soon.) It does seem like A&M treats their students better than UT does, but I am going to visit both of them. Thanks again.

- Krish

Phero Pharaoh

Sexyredhead,

I just wanted to thank you for all the tips you\'ve provided me. That last post really aided in making my final choice. I sat down and thought it through, and picked Texas A&M University. Trust me, it was a hard choice because they are both really awesome. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks again.

- Krish

I dropped out of Hamburger University. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What in the world are you doing?
    You\'re choosing what college to go to, not a freaking flavor at an icecream store. Take it seriously.
    Actually, they have to choose YOU before you can make your own choice, in the sense that you have to be accepted.
    If you actually have the chance to go to Harvard, never decline because of its cost. Get student lones, you\'ll be able to pay them off in a few years. But your chances of getting a job and getting into a good grad school will be a lot better, regardless of the education. It\'s all in the name.
    All this is of course dependent on your actual possibilities of getting in to any of these schools. Talk to your college councelor, and determine your real chances.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
    Sexyredhead,

I just wanted to thank you for all the tips you\'ve provided me. That last post really aided in making my final choice. I sat down and thought it through, and picked Texas A&amp;M University. Trust me, it was a hard choice because they are both really awesome. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks again.

- Krish

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I\'m glad it helped. I hope you have a great experience there and learn a lot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

I am taking it seriously and yes I don\'t see the incentive in going to Harvard compared to the huge price tag. I can go to Texas A&amp;M and pay $13k a year and get access to a HUGE alumni network who love their school. For as long as I live in Texas, a job won\'t be something I\'m struggling to find.

- Krish

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

U. Notre Dame has good business and law schools.

Journeyman

harvard is crap, as is yale. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] just think who came from harvard, george bush, and hes a tube. oxford is the place to go [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img],its made of 35 colleges, academically excellent + reputation + oldest uni in english speaking world, + known throughout the whole commonwealth. + graduate from oxford founded harvard,

also harvard is much easier to get into, straight A\'s under the u.s system is easy cos the system is. my friend from kansas came back to scotland to get scottish qualifications cos the u.s ones were too easy to get + easy course content, sorry to say

Banned User

and hes a tube

A tube?

+ oldest uni in english speaking world,

Just remember, if it wasn\'t for us dumb Americans....yer ass would be speakin german right now!

Just remember, if it wasn\'t for us dumb Americans....yer ass would be speakin german right now!

Where\'d THAT come from??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I am taking it seriously and yes I don\'t see the incentive in going to Harvard compared to the huge price tag. I can go to Texas A&amp;M and pay $13k a year and get access to a HUGE alumni network who love their school. For as long as I live in Texas, a job won\'t be something I\'m struggling to find.

The incentive is that Harvard has better professors, smarter students, and a much wider variety of people and courses, which will make the experience a lot more interesting. Your years there would be more challenging, from an academic perspective and more fullfilling from a cultural one.
    Aside from that, ceteris paribus H will give you a better chance at jobs and grad school.

Where\'d THAT come from??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I\'m just playing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].....But nobody calls Bush a tube and gets away with it. A Rube maybe, but not a tube.

Journeyman

krtel--
    Are these decisions/discussions based on where you have already applied and have been accepted to, or are you just speculating without even having applied?

PS. I would never try to compare texas A&amp;M or UT to harvard. Different academic worlds, environments, social dynamics, and especially different types of students. I would only see the logic in comparison for a top decile texan student at an excellent high school who is shooting for an ivy league like harvard and is applying to A&amp;M as a safety.

PPS. I\'m with olvido. This is not about what YOUR decision is. You could apply to 50 schools regardless of what your inclinations are. Its about who accepts YOU! Don\'t even consider harvard as a legit consideration until you are accepted. They are need blind, meaning they\'ll accept you regardless of your financial situation, and would help you out in paying with loans and scholarships maybe. But from what you\'ve said, you haven\'t even applied to harvard, let alone any other school. If youre graduating next month, are you expecting to attend any of these schools if you haven\'t even applied yet?

I hope im not sounding like a dick, but you\'re making it sound like you\'ll just show up in september and start attending classes. YOU CAN NEVER BE 150% SURE OF ANY SCHOOL YOURE ATTENDING UNITL YOUVE ACTUALLY BEEN ACCEPTED, WHICH IS NEVER A GIVEN!! I\'m not sure who\'s been guiding you through all this, but i\'d gladly help you out if you need anything. But if you haven\'t officially applied to any university yet, you\'re not gonna be able to start classes at any school until winter semester at the earliest.

David

Phero Pharaoh

Hey,

Yeah, I would like to clarify that I\'m not going to college in the fall, but rather the spring.

I don\'t plan on shooting for any of the Ivy Leagues anymore, at least not for my undergraduate term. Maybe for law school, but for now I\'m only considering Texas A&amp;M University and I have UT as a backup. I\'ve put in spring applications for both of them.

Thanks,

Krish

Default Stanford

Attended a lecture yesterday that was open to the public on the Stanford campus. It was in the geology department so expected some down-to-earth kids.

Boy, was I wrong! The lecture was given by a former PhD student who went to work on Capitol Hill as a post-doc fellow 5 years ago. Now\'s he\'s legislative director for a leading Democratic senator. In other word, he\'s yet to do anything useful and productive.

This guy had the party line on energy down pat and the kids were eating it up. The lecture was so full of distortions and mis-statements of facts that I was gagging. Plus, the guy wouldn\'t give a straight answer. The kids were taking it all in uncritically.

Stanford certainly has high admission standards and the kids were certainly bright but the lack of real-world knowledge and critical judgment was appalling.

Journeyman

Default Re: Stanford

tell us something we dont know about every other college in america...

\"Stanford certainly has high admission standards and the kids were certainly bright but the lack of real-world knowledge and critical judgment was appalling.\"

I work at a university and I have noticed that a lot of today\'s students aren\'t interested in \"academics\", they only are interested in their \"major\" classes (and try to slip through those)so that they can get that \"piece of paper\" that gets them a high paying job. Just like a trade school. They won\'t go to Kelsey-Jenney Business School (or Coleman or any of those bare bones \"trade schools) because they want to claim to be \"university educated\" even if they aren\'t. Before anyone jumps on my case about \"they all aren\'t like that\", you\'re right!!!

Phero Pharaoh

I agree. I take academics seriously though. I think that it is the foundation of your future.

\"They won\'t go to Kelsey-Jenney Business School (or Coleman or any of those bare bones \"trade schools)...\"

I would be one of those students who refuse to go to a trade school. Why? Contrasted to the most competitive state university, the opportunities just aren\'t there. Another major reason I didn\'t even consider a trade school was that there is nothing prestigious about having a degree from them. It\'s like, ok, big deal, you went to that trade school. But if you go to a university, that CAN be a prestigious thing. Just my personal views.

- Krish

Journeyman

The incentive is that Harvard has better professors, smarter students, and a much wider variety of people and courses, which will make the experience a lot more interesting. Your years there would be more challenging, from an academic perspective and more fullfilling from a cultural one.

no way, harvard is crap, academically inferior to the UK. oxford is much better, europeans come there with their different cultures whereas Harvard, a couple of canadians and Mexicans? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] precisely my point.

Banned User

Did you spend time at Harvard then? How would you really know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information