Close

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: cooking

Phero Pharaoh

Default cooking

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Is the secret to delicious low-fat treats already be in your pantry? When used in baking, applesauce helps lower the overall fat content of some of your favorite muffins, bars, quick breads and cakes. When you\'re adapting a high-fat recipe to low-fat healthfulness, start by replacing two-thirds of the original\'s butter or margarine with unsweetened applesauce. Like fat, a fruit puree such as applesauce coats the starchy flour particles in baking. Without this step, gluten forms when the flour is moistened and stirred, making the end result tough.

Phero Pro

Default Re: cooking

I would think applesauce (i.e. Apples) have a high concentration of sugar? Aren\'t you just replacing fat for sugar?

Phero Pharaoh

only if the applesauce you buy has sugar added to it, which a health nut would never do [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

LMAO..now this is funny too, a guy talking cooking with another guy [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

for that matter i usally use honey in place of granulated suger in recipes.

**DONOTDELETE**

Wolfe, angel face, it\'s all just carbs. You\'re replacing sugar for fat. If that suits your body chemistry, that\'s good, but it\'s not necessarily healthier. Honey, sugar, applesauce - your body doesn\'t make any difference between fructose, glucose, etc. It all goes down as sugar.

Phero Pro

<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

Originally posted by Wolfe:
    only if the applesauce you buy has sugar added to it, which a health nut would never do

<hr></blockquote>

Nah, I think the sugar is already there, no need to add. An apple by itself has sugar in it, that\'s why it\'s sweet. They\'d have to take the sugar out of the applesauce to start, I don\'t think that they do that, if so I never heard of applesauce like that, I\'m sure it doesn\'t taste like applesauce?

Phero Pharaoh

theres a differance in the way the body handle frutose Vs sucrose and it takes less honey to sweeten than sugar so in the end you still get less of it.

referance material used
    Honey:A Sugerless Cookbook:
    Written by: Joe Parker-lecturer-nutritional consultant
    ISBN-0-936744-03-0

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

frutose is a sugar (so is lactOSE, sucrOSE, glocOSE) but it is handled differently. It is a little lower on the GI scale than sucorse (table sugar) -- I have read some prople who think it is worse. And fructose syrup is used in soda -- so beware.

Wolfe don\'t be so afriad of fats -- just make sure they aren\'t hydrogented. Personally I eat the hell out of apples -- but apples are a little different because they have their fiber content still intact. Green apples are better than the variety.

But of most fruits I think the apple has the least sugar.

Phero Pharaoh

excuse me??? beware of fructose??..dude get real..i\'d have to stop eating fruits/berries/veggies to stop getting it..get real !!!

Phero Pro

but at least when you eat a whole fruit (BTW there is not that much fructose in veggies) the fiber content is still intact. fiber slows down the insulin surge, which counteracts SOME of the negative effects of sugars.

Phero Pharaoh

whats your point?..honey is a natural fructose sugar and hell lot better than using granulated..

I think he is agreeing with you

Phero Pharaoh

i\'m not even gonna bother to go on here, do what the hell you want to, you want to use processed sugars in your cooking be my guest.

You had better not be talking to me. You know the way I eat.

Phero Pharaoh

\"i\'m not even gonna bother to go on here, do what the hell you want to, you want to use processed sugars in your cooking be my guest. \"

there..that better?

Who are you talking to? Druid was agreeing with you

Phero Pharaoh

look. they trying to argue that suger is suger..and it\'s not that cut and dryed and not what this thread was about, and you know it. all i was trying to do here was let ppl who like cakes/cookies/candies/ETC in thier lives a alternate type of sugar to use thats hell lot better than graunlated is, but i\'m not gonna sit here and try to justify it to anyone.

\"Wolfe, angel face, it\'s all just carbs. You\'re replacing sugar for fat. If that suits your body chemistry, that\'s good, but it\'s not necessarily healthier. Honey, sugar, applesauce - your body doesn\'t make any difference between fructose, glucose, etc. It all goes down as sugar. \"

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Wolfe:
    only if the applesauce you buy has sugar added to it, which a health nut would never do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\"Nah, I think the sugar is already there, no need to add. An apple by itself has sugar in it, that\'s why it\'s sweet. They\'d have to take the sugar out of the applesauce to start, I don\'t think that they do that, if so I never heard of applesauce like that, I\'m sure it doesn\'t taste like applesauce?\"

many applesauces do have added sugar..not the natural sugar from the apple alone.

OK...then let\'s get back on subject. I have used applesauce in recipes as well as a prune butter to replace fat, and they work great. It doesn\'t alter the taste of the recipe at all.

Phero Pharaoh

well see, you\'re a health nut and i think you understood what i was saying from the very beginning. don\'t know why ppl had to go off on some tangent over sugar to start with but when they did i tryed to let them know that honey is better than any processed.

just like those pancakes..they heck lots better than any regular pancakes are and i just wanted to share those too.

chocolate is bad to eat, doesnt stop ppl from doing it [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    but some are better to eat than others too.

all i\'m trying to do is offer those that don\'t know a alternate method to processed crap.

&lt;&lt;chocolate is bad to eat, doesnt stop ppl from doing it
    but some are better to eat than others too.&gt;&gt;

I beg to differ. Good quality dark chocolate has signifigant amounts of antioxidants. Dove Dark chocolate has been found to have the highest levels compaired to other brands.

My link was too long, so Bivonic shortened it for me. Go up a few posts and read why we all must eat our chocolate for the good of our bodies [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

damn strings [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Unlike Bundy....I am not apologizing for ruining the thread. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I think
    it is important for every man, woman and child to know that we must include
    chocolate in our diets [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Pharaoh

you disagree yet turn around and say the same thing i just said..some are better to eat than others./

Phero Pharaoh

are all strings doing this now or just the long ones??

I disagree with what? I tend to think the same way you do when it comes to food. I am not disagreeing with anything that you are saying.

Phero Pharaoh

DAMN, my cheesecake cracked [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Save me some. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information