Close

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Phero Pro

Default My ears are constantly ringing

visit-red-300x50PNG
    This is probably bad news right? Any magic pill I can take to make them stop? I have a history of wax build up in my ears & have not gotten them cleaned out in a while. I just spoke to my mom yesterday & of course she has to tell me she is getting hearing aids & her ears were ringing AND it\'s hereditary, ugh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] She\'s 65, I\'m 31.

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: My ears are constantly ringing

It all depends. Who answers when you pick up?

Phero Dude

Remember those old water piks for your teeth? Fill the water pik basin with warm water, put the probe into your ear canal, let the water pulse into the canal until the wax comes out. Rotate the outer ear as much as possible to facilitate the stream of water getting to the wax accumulation. It\'s a big mess and you really need a third hand, but it works. By the way, it can\'t hurt your ear (at least the older models don\'t have enough pressure to hurt). If they still ring after a successful cleaning, get your blood pressure checked. If the blood pressure is okay, start thinking about the genetics.

Default This is called...

Tinnitus.

The best stuff for this might be vinpocetine, a \"smart drug\" herb extract that you can get a many health food stores.

The best stuff is Intellectol at:

http://www.vinpocetine.com/

This stuff works great, especially if you use it sublingually by letting a tab dissolve under your tongue. It\'s also a great afternoon pick-me-up.

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: This is called...

OD on aspirin will make your ears ring.

Whitehall is on the right track but I think the best supplement (heck, you take them both) is Gingko Biloba extract. I developed bad tinitus when I was in my 30s and it is now nearly all gone and I am in my 50s. There is a very good support group/forum that I joined back then, which is how I learned most of what I know about the problem. As I remember, there are two main potential causes of the condition. In my case, it was poor blood circulation, which is what the Gingko is good for; probably the vinpocetine too.

I would get the wax checked into too.

Bruce

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

you also want to see a physician to rule out other things that could cause it.

Phero Dude

I also get serious wax build up. I clean my ears similar to how the doctor does. He uses a giant syringe, but I just use the shower head. My doctor says that what I am doing isn\'t dangerous. BUT, if you want to ensure that everything goes easier, it is really good to oil up your ears first. It makes a huge difference. I put drops of oil in the ear for 2 or 3 days before pumping the hot water in. Maybe different people with build up have different types of wax, but for me my wax is definitely a bit hard, which is why it doesn\'t make its own way out of the ear as it does with people who have a slimier type of wax.

I used to have ear-ringing too. I got rid of it by doing two things. 1) Make any necessary changes to your life, whether mental or dietary or whatever, to get rid of your stress/tension.
    2) A good tip is too avoid quiet! For example, go to sleep with light music rather than silence. When we can hear our ears ringing, we focus on it and perpetuate it.

Anyway, these strategies worked for me, and I never had to use any particular herbal supplements.

Phero Dude

Have you ever used those ear wicking candles? Get them at the health food stores...don\'t know how effective they are for the wax, but they certainly are relaxing - sort of mystical.

Phero Dude

No, I haven\'t. If they aren\'t effective for wax, what the hell are they for if I may ask? It sounds like they would be for making ear candles based on the fact that there is wax in our ears.

**DONOTDELETE**

Once you get the wax out, clean your ears every day with a Qtip dipped in hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide dissolves the wax so it doesn\'t build up any more and cause you problems.

This is from Paula Begoun\'s website. www.cosmeticcop.com It would make me think twice about using Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide
    Given what is now known about free-radical damage, I no longer recommend hydrogen peroxide as a topical disinfectant for acne. Oxygen is clearly a problem for skin, and hydrogen peroxide is a significant oxidizing agent. The way hydrogen peroxide works is by releasing an unstable oxygen molecule onto the skin, and that generates free-radical damage. The extra oxygen molecule that makes up hydrogen peroxide is extremely unstable. That\'s why hydrogen peroxide is packaged in a dark brown, airtight container.

On exposure to air, hydrogen peroxide\'s extra oxygen molecule is released and the product becomes plain water. For skin prone to acne this extra oxygen molecule is capable of killing the bacteria that cause blemishes. Acne bacteria are anaerobic, meaning they don\'t like oxygen. But because of the problems that stem from impacting the skin with a substance that is known to generate free-radical damage, other options need to be sought. Please see Battle Plans for Blemishes, for different treatments to combat the bacteria that cause acne.

Paula Begoun

Phero Dude

Yes, you may ask. Wax IS what the hell they are for....this is sort of gross....when the process is finished and the candle is opened, there is gunk inside. Whether it is the aromatics used in the candle or wax, I can\'t prove.

I would use the ear candle everyday...just as a reason to have my head in somebody\'s lap getting my hair and face stroked for an hour.

Banned User

Maybe you\'ve been hearing tooooo many wicked jokes lately.

(chuckle)

Don\'t worry. you\'ll live.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

I\'m getting my ears cleaned on Monday, in the past the doc used a metal tool that looks like a dentist pick, but at the end in stead of a pick it has a little loop & he literally scoops the wax out in big globs, sometimes it hurts they are wedged in so well. I used to take a paper clip & make my own device & do it myself, but I realize this is not too safe. I do remember the doc telling me never to stick a Q-tip in my ear as that just impacts any wax already there.

**DONOTDELETE**

It might if there\'s no hydrogen peroxide on the Qtip. A doctor told me about that method of cleaning after I went to him for an ear infection - the only one I ever had as an adult - and I\'ve never had one since.

Phero Enthusiast

First off cotton from the Q-tip can get left in your ear and that builds up to leave a ball in the ear canal and that will cause alot of problems let alone pain and ringing,, now go to the drug store and geta ear wax wash kit.. it will have a bulb like syring blue in color, next take and put 2 drops olive oil in your ear kinda massage it in lean over and tip your head sideways use the wash kit and gently clean your ears out make sure you rinse several times, it works really well to disloadge anywax.. the wax wash kit will have a real mild saloution for your ears.. but if you have ringing in the ears yes there is many things that will cause that your health for one... there could be many under lying reasons for it.. deffinatly go have that checked out...

Phero Pharaoh

warm olive oil is wonderful to use.

Phero Dude

Wolfe and BWW,
    Do the two of you go everywhere together?

Phero Pharaoh

we live 1200+miles apart. Never have met the lady.

Phero Enthusiast

> (Wolfe and BWW,
    Do the two of you go everywhere together? )

I wish..... hehehehehe!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Phero Dude

I don\'t know that tinnitus can be caused by ear wax, but if you have a lot of wax it\'s good to remove it.

A good doctor will do it best, but if you\'re DIY, this device looks as if it would work:

http://www.earwaxremover.com/

Phero Pro

Damn, went to get the wax cleaned out of my ears. The doc says there is no wax! Ugh. So then he had his assistant give me a hearing test which I passed, I didn\'t ace it, but he said my hearing was normal, he wasn\'t sure what was wrong (hey at least he was honest). He told me to schedule an appointment for a month later to see if it persists & then we can do more testing.

Phero Pro

I picked up a 20ml bottle of Ginseng/Ginko mix. It says serving size one bottle, do these things normally taste good? Should I just chug it or put in a bottle of water or what?

How to use: Drink one bottle per day.

Phero Dude

You want ginkgold, 60mg... take 2 a day, every day. You won\'t notice effects for a couple of months.

I buy mine from this place... they seem very reliable and have good prices:

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/ginkgold.html

**DONOTDELETE**

Bivonic, where is your mother? Chug it.Have you been tested for allergies? Your ears are bothering you, you were just pitiful with sinus/cold symptoms ... you\'re a wreck. Good god, man. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Caffiene could also be the culprit.

Did you ever find anything that helped?

Unless you\'ve been exposed to unusually loud noise recently, it\'s probably a circulation problem, in which case your best bet is Gingko.

Personally, I\'ve got bad tinnitus from damage caused by noise. When I was 11 or 12 my dad took me shooting as some sort of macho male bonding thing. He was too stupid to know we should use earplugs & I didn\'t know better at that age. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So ever since, I\'ve had very loud ringing in multiple pitches.

(This sounds crazy, but I think the worst part of the movie, \"Black Hawk Down\" for me was the soldier loosing his hearing b/c of the machine gun beside him.)

I\'ve read there isn\'t really anything that can be done for tinnitus caused by noise damage.

It might not be so bad if I was a type A personality that never took a break, but I like to hike & canoe & things like that which silence is an important part of. But I usually can\'t tolerate silence sometimes because of the ringing.

Sorry, didn\'t mean to go off on a self-pity trip.

Phero Pro

Tantalus747 -

Nope wasn\'t able to fix it. I think it was from a loud night out at an Open Mic night, I realized it was really loud, but I was there with a friend who goes every Sunday & he didn\'t seem to mind so I didn\'t say anything.

I\'ve noticed it less, I just try to let my mind wonder. I know what you mean about hiking & such, I have not been hiking since it happened, I hope it\'s not as bad as you make it out to be.

I heard Densmore from the Doors (drummer) has tinnitus & he cannot play with them as they go on tour as it just makes it worse [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I\'m bumming as I\'m going to see them in a few weeks, oh well.

\"I hope it\'s not as bad as you make it out to be.\"

I wouldn\'t worry too much. Some people have it alot worse than others. Because the damage to my ears happened at such a young age & was so severe (it wasn\'t just shooting, it was shooting with an antique 12 gage), mine\'s pretty bad.

Different people have different volumes & pitches of ringing. I\'ve even read some people have committed suicide over it, can say for sure it\'s true, but I\'d imagine it is.

Acutally, a fairly large % of the population has tinnitus, most just don\'t have it very bad.

You might want to try Gingko anyway, was circulation could still be somewhat a factor.

I\'ve never been to a Doors concert, depending on how loud they play, you could be alright if you wear good quality earplugs... maybe you\'d need to stay away from the front & step out occasionally. I know that takes away alot of the fun, but it could be better than not going.

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information