Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Music...

Banned User

Default Re: Music...

visit-red-300x50PNG
    <<<what happened to the solid FM stations? >>>

Out of date, out of time.

Does any body have the Kazzaa software?and the www?

**DONOTDELETE**

No, what izzit?

Phero Enthusiast

FTR, Spend more time flipping around to avoid commercials and gab ... what happened to the solid FM stations?
    Geez i feel the same way so thats why i have 100s of CDs and my older daughter to tell me when new good ones come out so i dont have to mess with the FM stations and all that when i can just load up the CD player and listen to tunes all day and night without all that bull that goes on when ya wana here one tune,,, I love the oldies from way back and sometimes il listen to that for hours...I didnt pay almost 3,000 for my stereo just to here commercials, or news...

**DONOTDELETE**

Mine cost about $300.00 and I thought I was doin\' real good. It would just be nice to hear something new every once in awhile and think \"I\'ve GOT to have that, omg, that\'s so good!\" That\'s one reason among many that it\'s good to have young friends.

Phero Pharaoh

We have some good \'community\' stations over here that are good for getting decent variety and hearing new songs befor the general public knows about them. One station \'Triple J\' even stays away from Britney Spears and way tooo poppy tunes. Better than the commercial stations which are only really good for their \'drive time\' programs first thing in the morning and after work if you ask me.

Banned User

FTR I have to correct myself, Always on my mind was written by James/Carson & Christopher according to Ask Jeeves search engne.Sorry for the wrong info.

About kazzaa go to www.download.com and download kazzaa. This software downloads ANY song you can ever imagne to your PC. supports WIN amp.
    But don\'t tell any one, it\'s not so legal in many countries.[img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I will certainly check that out. Meanwhile you haven\'t said whether or not you like Willie Nelson. ..

Phero Pharaoh

Nothing wrong with Willie Nelson. He\'s a legend!

Banned User

<<<Willie Nelson. .. >>>

I\'m afraid you got me on this one.
    I\'ll look him up and study him soon.

Banned User

Bundy

You like Britney Spears?
    Doesn\'t she sound commercial like Madona?
    Also, do you think that Bob Dylen is also a legend?

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

There\'s so much good trad music, it\'s all about finding a style. I started with the bothy band, but often it\'s whoever is in the room playing.

Banned User

Yes FTR

I looked it over on \"Ask Jeeves\" and it seems that Willie Nelson also sang always on my mind.I\'m not sure if he sang it together with Elvis or on his own.see excerpt below :

<<<Always On My Mind
    Elvis Presley | Willie Nelson>>>

I guess I\'d like to ramble a bit about this, as I never get the chance any more...Most of the bands people are naming are good and I like them too. My appreciation for the Beatles was always there, but has grown over the years. The weird thing is I really don\'t even own anything to play recorded music on these days.

Leonard Cohen is good, for more recent stuff. Being in the NW I am surrounded by alternative bands, but there is nothing truly new that I\'ve heard. I could play it myself, but what\'s the point? Sometimes I think I\'d have better luck with women (not that it\'s bad now) if I knew more currently popular bands. I\'m not sure it\'s a worthy investment. Maybe I\'ve just heard it all. I think any kind of traditional folk (or classical) music is wonderful, as it\'s all deep, musically accomplished, soulful, and unique; having developed in isolated circumstance. Despite all that, peasants have always enjoyed it. Nowadays there is the crossover aspect that makes it exciting, too. I do know that trad folk music has enough subtleties in it to require a lifetime to decipher. So I\'m OK for now playing Irish music.

I\'ve heard so much music, nothing knocks me off my feet any more. So I more appreciate quiet little subtleties and heart. Whatever\'s happening in the moment I appreciate.

I used to be in a punk band, but am not real excited about punk either.

Bruce, I was into the fusion thing too. I could even play sort of like a typical Jean Luc Ponty guitarist, a tad bit like Jeff Beck. But fusion kind of dried up. Mahavishnu was good enough to take it elsewhere. Miles died. King Crimson was always great, and the Discipline/Fripp/Belew period was particularly brilliant. I liked Philip Glass.

In high school I liked Yes, Genesis, ELP, Zeppelin, Gabreil, UK, Floyd, and various underground progressive bands and spinoffs. Steve Hackett (who was brilliant at expressing plaintive emotion) was my biggest influence on guitar (he and Page) through undergraduate college. Some of my own compositions are related to Hackett. After that I remember listening to Olatunji (african drummer). As far as mother f*cker technical guitarists/musicians go, Allan Holdsworth sort of topped them all; and Steve Morse was no slouch. I miss the days when your friends would turn you on to a blowaway new band full of brilliant musicians who would take you on a journey somewhere. Still, some of that fascination can be chalked up to youth and marijuana -- just the literal sound of it all was enough.

Banned User

Doc
    When you get moody or depressed, what do you listen to?

Phero Pharaoh

seadove

<<You like Britney Spears?>>
    Her songs are \'listenable\'. I admire the effort she puts into her live shows, that parts amazing. I\'ve even had her songs in my head. But, generally NO I\'m not really into her. She has talent. Just not to the extent of some others. I tend to put her in the same class as the \'Spice Girls\' etc. Maybe a bit further up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<<Doesn\'t she sound commercial like Madona?>>
    Madonna is a frikken legend [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. That women has consistently brought out great tunes since day dot. When I say poppy tunes, Madonna is \'Popular\' and yeah commercial, i spose. It doesn\'t change the fact that her songs are great. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Maybe Britney will surprise one day. But till then Madonna is waaaaaay ahead of her in my opinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<<Also, do you think that Bob Dylen is also a legend?>>
    I\'ve never had an opinion on Bob Dylan. Never been interested. But, to be honest, I\'ve never given his music a chance. One day I\'ll sit down and listen to what he has done. Maybe if I was a generation older things would be different there (???). Dunno.

usually nothing, unless I go hear folk. I\'m moody now (I\'m missing my ex-girlfriend [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ), and I can hear the sound of my computer fan spinning.

Banned User

They say that Dylon had an influence on the Beatles and others.Don\'t know about Elvis but others are also inspired by Dylon.

Coldplay - (song - bugger i forget but the 4 track on \"parachutes)

Travis

**DONOTDELETE**

\" I\'m moody now (I\'m missing my ex-girlfriend ), and I can hear the sound of my computer fan spinning. \"

Oh, damn, that\'s bleak.

Phero Pharaoh

\"Oh, damn, that\'s bleak.\"

Oh, damn too. Now I\'m AWARE of my computer fan spinning. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] LOL

Default Robert Zimmerman?

That\'s got to be Bob Dylan, as his mama named him.

I was a Beatles/Hendrix/etc fan - the 60\'s did produce some exceptional music but Disco pretty much put that to rest.

Classic is where it\'s at for me now. The richness and depth of classical is so much beyond popular music which is increasingly about sex. That\'s fine but there\'s more to human emotions. Love string quartets especially now. Funny how what was once dinner background music costs $50 a ticket.

One underlooked classical composer, an ancestor of mine, is Stephen Foster. A nice combination of American folk with the quality of German Leider.

One thing about living in San Francisco area is that KFOG is back in close to it\'s original format. KFOG and KSAN were the stations for the Summer of Love and still play some serious current music.

One recent find was an album called \"Rasa: Union\" - a takeoff on East Indian music by a Western couple - great bonking music in the spirit of the Kama Sutra.

Phero Enthusiast

Coldplay, now theres a song by them called (In My Place) something about that song really gets to me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I love Coldplay, too.

Enlightened One

Coldplay mmm there music is ok.

Hmm.., faves I have yet to get tired of and generally go where I go:

3 doors down

Metallica

Chilli Peppers

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (love their covers)

Ludacris

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Cowboy Mouth

Better Than Ezra

Counting Crows

Crystal Method

Smashing Pumpkins

Eminem

still love the Pulp Fiction soundtrack

Train

Pam Tillis

Sinatra

Gary Allan

Love the new Missy Elliot cd too. Just wish she didn\'t talk on just about every track. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Banned User

Default Re: Music...Willie Nelson

Did some research for me about Willie Nelson, and inspired by FTR :

FULL NAME: Willie Hugh Nelson
    BIRHTDATE: April 30, 1933
    BIRTHPLACE: Abbot, Texas
    PARENTS: Ira & Myrle Nelson
    SIBLINGS: Bobbie Lee (sister)
    RAISED BY: Ira’s Parents
    MUSICAL INFLUENCES: Willie and Bobbie learned music through mail-order courses taught to them by their grand-parents. \"Daddy\" Nelson bought Willie a Stella guitar when he was 6 years old. The family was deeply involved with the church and gospel music. Willie was obsessed with the radio, listening to the Grand Ole Opry, New Orleans jazz, Big Band singers, black blues from the South, and Western Swing- especially Bob Wills.
    RESIDENCE: Texas
    SPOUSE: Ann Marie D’Angelo
    CHILDREN: Lana (born 1953)
    Susie (born 1956)
    Paula (born 1969)
    Amy (born 1973)
    Lukas (born 1989)
    Jacob (born 1990)
    FIRST PERFORMANCE: Age 5. He recited a poem he had written, at a church picnic.
    FIRST GROUP: John Raycjeck’s Bohemian Polka Band, when Willie was 10 years old.
    EARLY EMPLOYMENT: Mainly as a disc jockey, but also selling encyclopedia and other door-to-door items.
    FIRST RECORDING: \"No Place For Me,\" self financed and sold to his radio listeners in Vancouver, WA in 1956.
    EARLY SONGWRITING: In the late 50’s Willie returned to Texas, this time to Houston, where he worked as a disc jockey and performed at the Esquire Club. Here he wrote some of his most memorable work, including \"Night Life\" and \"Family Bible.\" Because of his financial situation, he sold both songs for $200.
    MOVE TO NASHVILLE: In 1960, when Willie was hanging out at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge with other songwriters such as Hank Cochran, Mel Tillis, Roger Miller and Kris Kristofferson.
    FIRST SUCCESS: Patsy Cline recorded Willie’s \"Crazy\" in August, 1961. Faron Young followed with \"Hello Walls.\" Both songs reached number one.
    FIRST SINGING SUCCESS: \"Willingly\" and \"Touch Me.\" Both were duets with second wife Shirley Collie, and both reached the Top 10 in 1962.
    OPRY DEBUT: November 28, 1964.
    LEFT NASHVILLE: December 23, 1970, Willie’s house in Ridgetop, TN, burned down. He had just written a song called \"What Can They Do To Me Now.\" After the fire, Willie, family and band returned to Texas.
    BREAKTHROUGH ALBUM: Shotgun Willie, in 1973, for Atlantic Records.
    MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH: The 1975 album, Red Headed Stranger, with the runaway hit \"Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain,\" that helped establish Willie as one of the top artists in country music. A concept album, the simple instrumentation and spare production ran against Nashville’s thinking at the time.

Sting--very good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Loreena McKennit\'s her name. Very good--everything she does. Makes me either want to dance or sit inside by a fire and watch snow falling outside. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Norah Jones is good too, and so is the new Dishwalla cd--Opaline. You might try Good Charlotte too, if you like a bit of a punk twist on things.

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks! Sexyredhead. That many cd\'s will bust the bank for the next six months. If you could pick two for me to buy, which two would you pick?

Banned User

I forgot Chubby Checker.

Who remembers Chubby Checker?

Come on baby
    Let\'s do the twist
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, god, Ivan, we\'re old. lol The twist was the first dance I ever learned. What about you, what\'s the first dance you ever learned? Did you ever do the mashed potato?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information