Blackwidow Woman you are definately my kinda woman [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
There is a new class of anti-depressants on the horizon that I am quite excited about. Neurokinnin-1 inhbitors (as related to substance P(search NK-1 inhibitor, or look at biopsychiatry.com). Essentially this inhibitor causes an increase in synapse transmission in the forebrain of serotonin, and from some friends at a university(who wish to remain nameless) GABA activity as well.
Your right SSRI\'s on the long term can lead to a syndrome called Long QT syndrome, or sudden cardiac arrest. Not to mention the nasty side effects from their anti-muscarinic actions.
Wellbutrin is a different case, its an dual NRI/DRI(noradrenaline/dopamine reuptake inhibitor). I take it for ADHD although I am thinking of dropping it and switching to a selective NARI(noradrenaline only). Some cases you have to use these drugs, and you can\'t get around it.
One added benefit is the libido boost you get from wellbutrin. Norepineprhine is a flag staff raising neurotransmitter.

For nootropics piracetam as bruce mentioned is supposed to be really good. The industry standard is neuromet(oxiracetam), and all nootropics are rated against it.