Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Smart Drugs

Journeyman

Default Re: Smart Drugs

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Blackwidow Woman you are definately my kinda woman [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
    There is a new class of anti-depressants on the horizon that I am quite excited about. Neurokinnin-1 inhbitors (as related to substance P(search NK-1 inhibitor, or look at biopsychiatry.com). Essentially this inhibitor causes an increase in synapse transmission in the forebrain of serotonin, and from some friends at a university(who wish to remain nameless) GABA activity as well.
    Your right SSRI\'s on the long term can lead to a syndrome called Long QT syndrome, or sudden cardiac arrest. Not to mention the nasty side effects from their anti-muscarinic actions.
    Wellbutrin is a different case, its an dual NRI/DRI(noradrenaline/dopamine reuptake inhibitor). I take it for ADHD although I am thinking of dropping it and switching to a selective NARI(noradrenaline only). Some cases you have to use these drugs, and you can\'t get around it.
    One added benefit is the libido boost you get from wellbutrin. Norepineprhine is a flag staff raising neurotransmitter.

For nootropics piracetam as bruce mentioned is supposed to be really good. The industry standard is neuromet(oxiracetam), and all nootropics are rated against it.

**DONOTDELETE**

Tell me something good for extreme anxiety.

Journeyman

Well FTR, there are a few concepts in the natural arena that are wonderful for anxiety. First and foremost is kava kava it really is a wonderful sedative/muscle relaxant. If you do take this take a good milk thistle extract(old bodybuilder trade secret for avoiding problems of the liver)

Valerian small doses(antagonism of GABA)
    Myoinositol(also called inositol) is a non-insulin producing sugar that has a calming effect, and is a wonderful muscle relaxant, especially after a workout.
    GABA powder(Beyond a century\'s web page has dirt cheap GABA). Careful with this tho, 100-200 mg to relax, 500-750 for sleep (1-2 grams is used for GH release, although I have really never seen a proveable study).
    B-vitamin complex
    exercise - Aside from adrenaline increase, and usage. Also causes release of beta-endorphins(body opiate).
    Check out hemi-sync.com for binaural beat cd\'s(I use transcendance as meditative tool, and for test related anixety).
    niacin
    magnesium citrate(powder form called natural calm)
    Calcium(must be used with magnesium(too much calcium can be toxic and Mg helps activate calcium so it does not build up).

Sometimes a good massage will calm an anxiety attack down, I\'m available [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Seriously tho, massaging the skin can cause a rise in endorphins as well.

Before taking anything check with your doctor to make sure its safe of course.

Mike

**DONOTDELETE**

What will work fast right now?

Journeyman

sit back in your chair, or lay down. Breathe in through your nose hold count to 3, breathe out through your mouth hold count to 3 ...repeat.....use your mind, visualize things that make you happy(warm kisses from your guy, sitting in the sun at the beach). Once you feel yourself calming down, do some push ups, situps, and lunges. The exercise will stimulate endorphins which can calm you down. First and foremost, if it progress, and gets worse contact your doctor.

**DONOTDELETE**

If your anxiety is that extreme maybe you should go to a psychiatrist and get that checked he/she will probably prescribe you an anti-depressant like zoloft, paxil, effexor which also work on anxiety but they can take a while to kick in (3-4 weeks) and in the mean time you can take an anti anxiety agent like xanax and valium for sudden attacks. I tried valerian root but it puts me to sleep and kava kava had no effect at all.

Journeyman

If it were me I would not let a psychiatrist hand out anti-depressants like candy which is the way many treat patients. It was wrong with antibiotics, its wrong with SSRI\'s. Yes it should be checked out by a doctor if its an irrational fear, phsychotherapy first not psychiatry. Deliniate cause, and go from there. Xanax is great as temporary relief, but SSRI\'s unless there is a serotnin imbalance are the wrong choice.

Valerian works, cut the dose. What it does is inhibit the break down of GABA(neurotransmitter main action as a CNS depressant on GABA-A receptors). When you reduce the amount of valerian you get more of a relaxed, sedated feeling.

If you get a good powdered extract of kava, with high lactone content it does exert sedative like effects. Remember that not everything works for everyone, a.k.a. Your Motor May Vary(YMMV).

J Pharm Pharmacol 1999 May;51(5):505-12 Related Articles, Links

The scientific basis for the reputed activity of Valerian.

Houghton PJ.

Department of Pharmacy, King\'s College London.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

I know a 30 sec. cure for stress, but maybe that\'s just how long it takes me...ahem.

A major cause of anxiety and stress is CAFFEINE. It will make you about 30% more stressed. Try adaptogens instead. I gave up caffeine about a year ago and now I never get stressed about anything. Excercise is great for energy and stress tolerance. Find a way to get your energy up without the caffeine. Some of the side effects of it are dehydration, loss of sleep, anxiety, etc. It is very hard do give up caffeine because it is so addictive and the withdrawal is bad.

Journeyman

....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ....... someone had some fun with my computer .... msg edited

Phero Dude

Try this. My version of an old fashion cocktail:
    drugs, sex and rock and roll...I\'m not kidding.

Phero Enthusiast

>Blackwidow Woman you are definately my kinda woman
    well i should hope so hehehe!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] zoloft can work wonders for some people and then for others it does no good at all..
    Xanax and valium, are good for suden attacks, thats right they are if not abused they work really well I have Xanax for certian reasons and i only take it when needed,, that way my system dont get use to it and i get drug immune.... There is lots of other things to do when depressed and you dont have to take drugs or drink your self stupid..

**DONOTDELETE**

Xanax would have been perfect for the situation. I\'m a little afraid of it, though. I had a friend who popped Xanax like there was no tomorrow. It\'s addictive and the withdrawal is not pretty. I rooted through the cabinets and found some 5-HTP, had two left, took them both - these also contained valerian. It helped. I may ask my doctor for some Xanax.
    Thanks everybody.
    P.S. The doc\'s cure was helpful, too - I put that into practice right away. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And I like Lucky\'s solution - but in this case it was drugs, sex and rock and roll related issues that brought on the puking panic attack.

Phero Enthusiast

Panic attacks are not fun to live with, i know!!! Xanax works great if you only use it when you feel a attack commin on .. and im not hooked on it at all.. i only use it max 2 to 3 times a month.. I feel sorry for my mother shes been on it for 18 yrs and takes it several times a day.. i told her to get off it and tried to help her go thru the withdrawl but she just couldnt do it..the doctor perscribes her way to many pills and thats why she cant even think right and remember anything.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

That\'s EXACTLY how my friend was. \"I\'m STRESSED!\" and she\'d pop a Xanax - and you could see it working in about 15 minutes and she would calm down - but if she let the prescription fun out, she\'d have trouble walking, her equilibrium would be off, her mood would be grotesque ... and while she was taking them all the time like candy, she was a space case and could never remember anything that happened.

Banned User

BUMP!.... how\'s your anxiety FTR? did it get better?

**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m fine now thanks to everyone here who were so kind as to indulge my 19th nervous breakdown before going out last night. But I am going to see my doctor Wed to get some Xanax or something for those temporary near panic attacks. I can\'t work like that and it\'s a little scary. 5-HTP with valerian works really well but 5-HTP inhibits orgasm; being that working through sexual stuff is what\'s making me panic, 5-HTP would be kinda working against myself, so I\'m gonna get script.

Phero Pharaoh

<< thanks to everyone here who were so kind as to indulge my 19th nervous breakdown before going out last night.>>

No worries. That\'s what we all are \'ere for. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information