Close

cuddlebear

Default mixology not my thing but willing to learn

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I notice many of the concoctions that people wear are very precisely mixed. I will read how something is EXACTLY 5 parts SOE and 1 part RM or something of the like, but how is that done? With an eye dropper counting drops? I have never been so exact with my mixes and I have gotten more than a few hits, but let\'s say I wanted to make me up some KR#1. OK, OK, alright! I DO want to make me up some KR#1! Would I be counting drops or how else do I get the exact 7:3 ratio specified? Thanx, Cuddles [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phero Pro

Default Re: mixology not my thing but willing to learn

well it doesn\'t really matter what size of the \"parts\" are, just that they are the same for each item going into the mix. It could be gallons (way to expensive [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), or mL\'s, or drops. Lots of people here use droppers or calibrated syringes. I like the droppers. I went to the local drugstore and in the eye glass section there was a pair of identical droppers (I guess for people who use contacts) and it was only a couple of bucks. I like having 2 because most of the mixes require 2 ingriedents, because then you just clean out the droppers when your finished.

Phero Pharaoh

Well, for KR#1, or any mix that I mixed, I used droppers and counted the drops. The last batch of KR#1 I made (yesterday.) I used 70 drops of SoE and 30 drops of PI/m. Large batch yes, but I know it\'s what works for me, so it won\'t go to waste.

Just count drops. Make yourself a small batch first though. Also, for KR#1, before using it, (after you\'ve mixed it.) I\'d suggest shaking well. Good luck and I hope you get better results than I got! :P

- Krish

Phero Enthusiast

Eye dropper should work fine, but I happened to \"borrow\" a pipet from my chem lab and I use that instead. It\'s a little more accurate (because the size of the drop can get bigger or smaller depending on the angle you hold the dropper) than the eye dropper but I don\'t think it makes a huge difference.

Like Lutz, I borrowed a pipetman from my lab, and then it is a precise volume issue. I agree that the eyedroppers are probably the best economical path to take, but the size of the drops depends on a myriad of things. A drop is not a drop, unless it is from identical droppers, and it is identical in composition. I am not going into it again, but here is my Cliff\'s notes. 20 Drops of water is approximatly one mL. Nothing else (Especially alcohol) Unless you have found love potion # 9, I think that relatively close ratios will work. Finally, the only true way to get the mixes correct (the proportions) is using a mole basis, but nobody needs that much precision.

Last thing, apparently (at least a while ago) syringes are available from certain drugstores. If you are concerned about having correct volume quanities, these are the best way to go. My pipetman retails from Fisher Chemicals at around three bills, not for the recreational mixer.

Enlightened One

Remember also folks DD1 is SOE 70% and NPA 30%. This also has those 2 little secret ingredients along with the Anone in the NPA.
    NPA really does something for the mix, i have used PI(M) previously within the KR#1 mix with good results. Although in a 50%:50% mix. So it was slightly heavier on the ANone.

Default Mixing Tools

I\'ve found these cheap plastic droppers, graduated in fractions of a ml, at a local store. I\'ve also seen them on the net. Retail is about 33 cents (US) at the store. Get several and dedicate one to each ingredient. There are one piece moldings, really simple and seem accurate.

You can also get graduated cylinders in 10 and 25 ml sizes at photo stores - they\'re used in the darkroom.

Pipettes are great but don\'t use your mouth to suck up the liquids - you wouldn\'t want to get this stuff in your mouth.

It also doesn\'t matter so much. Small variations will not affect the mix too much. In fact you may find that variations may suit you more.

Happy mixing!!

**DONOTDELETE**

Just a note: all mix recipes should be expressed in volumes, not drops. Cooking JB#1 mixing three drops of NPA with 7 drops of APC gives you something different from JB#1. Like Bassman (I think) used to say: \"maybe better, maybe worse, but different\".

Mix authors are encouraged to publish their ratios expressed in volumes. This is because drops\' size is device dependant. This is especially true when cooking large batches, because the drop/volume error grows up a lot.

Thread Information