Close

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Default Home made perfume

visit-red-300x50PNG
    (sorry about the cross post, someone told me I should post it in the men section because some expert are there and they may miss this thread if it\'s hidden in the women section, matbe Bruce could move it all here...)

Do we have some members here who are mixing their own perfumes ? I mean not only adding phero to one or two existing colognes but using escential oils, carrier oil or alcohol, musk and everything...

Any input would be appreciated. Escential oils are so expensive that I want to minimise the risk by gathering lots of info before buying all needed components.

I`m personally more interested in oil based perfumes so I made some research and found out that apricot kernel oil would make a perfect base for a perfume. They say it have no smell, it`s very light and can even be used on the face.

Of course I would like to create a phero spiked perfume so I would have to integrate the musky smell of the pheros in the mix.

Does the chem kit provide a neutral base for the pheros ? I mean does it have any smell beside the smell of the pheros ? If not, I guess it would be my best choice for a phero source for this perfume.

Now what escential oils does mix well with the musky phero smell ? (I know there`s some info amongst a thousand threads already but it would be nice to have it all in one \'\'home made perfume\'\' thread).

Last but not least, what about true natural musks ? Is there an online source out there ? (But anyway, maybe it would be useless since I would use phero instead).

Phero Pro

Default Re: Home made perfume

DRSMELLTHIS is an authority when it comes to mixing own perfumes: he definitely knows the dos and do-not-dos when it comes to mixing, and he has lots of experience besides the theoritical knowledge.

Search for \"essential oil(s)\" in the search section here. You\'ll probably find some information there.

Default MUSK

I\'ve been looking for natural musk for some time. I\'ve also started a thread some time ago about synthetic musks and the environmental concerns about some of the simplier ones. The older ones are non-biodegradable and have been found in surprisingly high concentrations in drinking water and mother\'s milk. I\'ve found and bumped the thread.

Natural musk deer hunting has been banned due to their endangered species status and the sale of musk has been prohibited by international treaty, signed by the US and all states except Red China and France. China has begun a deer farm system and has been active in developing deer breeding techniques and devising non-lethal harvesting of musk.

Hence to find real animal musk, I\'d look to Hong Kong or maybe Paris but one might have trouble with US Customs. In any case, you wouldn\'t need much. If you went to France and bought perfumes and colognes there you might find real musk as one of the ingredients

Phero Pro

http://www.redgumsoaps.com.au/aromatherapy/blend.htm

This is one I still had in my bookmarks. There are more around here in certain topics!

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Oscar is correct. I\'m really in a rush, but pmail me. Huge freakin topic.

**DONOTDELETE**

Oscar ?

Well, when you get some time, I think it would be very usefull for some of us if you could give us a basic tutorial on perfume making (using both alcohol and oil based phero product as a base)

Somebody, indicated that site:
    http://www.perfumersworld.com/index.htm
    []s

That course is a pretty serious, difficult, and specific course, involving a significant committment, but they seem reputable. It wouldn\'t be the approach I would take, but it does teach you to recognize and work with all the basic fragraance notes.

**DONOTDELETE**

I move it here, since it\'s related to perfume making...

From DrSmellThis :
    \"your mistake is using APC and fake vanilla and azzaro, not the mild AE (old).

Get real essential oils and mix with the old AE. Try sandalwood and benzoin. Get vanilla essential oil too, if you want. It\'s expensive, but worth it. Oshadi makes a good one. Your girlfriend probably won\'t complain then.

Chem st is fine too, but I\'d still recommend the oils too, diluted in grain alcohol 50/50.. \"

So if there\'s alcohol in the mix, it should be kept over at least to 50%alc ?

I just took a look at Oshadhi \'s web site (very slow by the way). I took notes of the price of 11 oils I would like to get and the price tag goes up over 200$ ..

The winner : jasmine 1ml at 23.90$ ! (I know, it\'s very difficult to extract).

Some more exemples:
    Sandalwood : 5ml 21.90
    Benzoin 10 ml 17.90
    Ylang Ylang 10ml 19.50
    Vanilla 5ml 23.70
    Myrrh 10ml 25.90
    Coriander 10ml 9.50
    Mandarin 10ml 13$
    Frankincense 10ml 25.90
    Patchouli 10ml 12.50
    Juniper 10ml 35.00

I think we have the reason here why modern perfumers use chimicals instead of the real thing...unless they are making a very high end perfume. But why would I bother to make something less than extraordinary ?!

**DONOTDELETE**

Some more questions...

For an oil based perfume, is it better to use a very penetrating carrier oil (jojoba...) or a non penetrating oil (almond) ?

Could someone point me out some reliable online shop for 100% natural high quality E.O. located in Canada or US. ?

I see there\'s many online shop with very different prices...

Denatured palm oil is best, next jojoba, according to my info.

**DONOTDELETE**

For what it\'s worth, I agree with the Doc, denatured palm oil, followed by jojoba make the best oil based carriers. I\'d also recommend trying Fractionated Coconut which is said to be more compatible with skin. Sometimes using a light textured, deodorized, non pore clogging, refined and sterilized carrier with an unlimited shelf life and can be very useful for creating perfume blends as well. I purchase all my carriers along with my e-oils here: http://www.naturesgift.com

Hope that helps a bit.

PS - I heard that using EO\'S in an alcohol base increases the potency and intensity of their scent, the higher the percentage the greater the increase in dispersal and smell. Does anyone know if this is actually true?

This site looks pretty good to me.
    Whatta ya think Doc?

looks like a nice littele site.

DNPO has all the benefits the coconut does, but doesn\'t absorb into the skin. That is an advantage with perfumery.

Didn\'t see den palm oil on the carriers page of that site.

**DONOTDELETE**

**DONOTDELETE**

Essential Oils and Natural Perfumes: http://www.naturesgift.com/natural_perfumes.htm

**DONOTDELETE**

source of VERY rare substances (castoreum, civet...)

http://www.profumoterapia.it/eng/profumoterapia.asp?lang=it

Alchemist,

Nice find!
    I checked out that site when you posted it in the \"Jovan Musk 2\" thread.
    Real interesting stuff.
    What is the conversion rate of Euros to $US?

Oscar [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

It`s about 1 to 1.

Before ordering, people should contact the seller and ask about quantity (how many ml) and concentration of the product (maybe they sell it in diluted form and then we would need to know the % and in which substance it is diluted...). It is not clear on the site. If someone enquire, please share info here.

**DONOTDELETE**

Another site for EOs: http://libertynatural.com/ . I\'ve ordered several oils from them and been happy. It\'s best to call them and confirm pricing, availability, and ordering procedures.

**DONOTDELETE**

Oshadhi was great but soooooo expensive I will now order from other sources. Let me know if you know something about those sources of EO I just ordered from... Of course the only one I\'ll really compare is the sandalwood since I already have the one from Oshadhi. I\'ll let you know.

RedSafari.com (sandalwood mysore)

Essential-oil.com (ylang ylang extra Madagascar, jasmine sambac super India, juniper berry Himalayan wild crafted, Vetiver super wild crafted India)

Herbspicetea.com (cedarwood juniperus virginiana, cinnamon, frankincense, myrrh extract)

I get quite a few oils from Liberty, as above.

**DONOTDELETE**

note : I made a mistake in my previous post. I was reffering to Essential-oil.ORG not .com ...

**DONOTDELETE**

Sandalwood oil, rose otto and jasmine sambac absolute from Ashburys will also be sampled.

That will makes 5 sources of EO, including sandalwood from 3 sources and jasmine from 2 sources. With that I should have a good idea... My credit card shoulds also have a good idea... Damn I better blend a nice perfume for my girlfriend before she find out about the expenses...

**DONOTDELETE**

Sandalwood oil, rose otto and jasmine sambac absolute from Ashburys.com ...

The rose is AMAZING! It is so concentrated that you don\'t even need to open the bottle to smell it (same thing for the jasmine but to a lesser extend). In fact when you open the bottle, you have to smell only the empty cap from about 6 inch, otherwise it\'s so strong it will give an automatic headache (must be diluted several times).

I am less impressed with the jasmine absolute but I will have to prepare a dilution before judging. I have no fear about the rose otto, it is really amazing. I will have to contact them because I\'m not sure if the rose otto bottle is an absolute extracted from the concrete or if it is a steam distilled oil (both method are possible, giving different results but I have nothing to compare against. The absolute should be closer to the original flower).

The sandalwood is far less interesting than the Oshadhi sandalwood. The Oshadhi sandalwood is mystic, magic, amazing (and 3 times more expensive...). This one is just ok, more woody, closer to cedar.

An amazing and dangerous perfume of rose spiked with \'nol and copulin will be made soon for the girlfriend... If you have any suggestion of other oils I could blend with the rose to make it more complexe, sexy and amazing, tell me.

**DONOTDELETE**

You\'re being so creative! It\'s great fun to read.

I\'m no expert, but ... do you have any cinnamon oil? Whisper \"cinnamon\" over the rose and see what happens. Also sandalwood gives the rose a nice bottom note.

**DONOTDELETE**

What is this with women and cinnamon ? You\'r the third women, including my girlfriend suggesting me to use cinnamon in my aphrodisiac perfumes !

Ok, ok...I guess I\'ll get a bottle of it soon ;-)

**DONOTDELETE**

There was a study somewhere that said it was aphrodesiacal for men, that\'s why! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cuddlebear

I have gotten good results with cinnamon essential oils as well .. but it irritates my skin ... Cuddles [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information