Close

Thread: spray volumes

Default spray volumes

visit-red-300x50PNG
    For anyone interested: I\'ve measured delivered volume from a couple of different type atomizers.

The \"Bruce-supplied\" atomizer (the one that comes with the NPA dealie) gets 6.5 sprays to the ml, delivering roughly 0.15 ml per spray.

And with egg on my face:
    The Andro 4.2 / Attraction type atomizer gets 4.2 sprays to the ml, delivering roughly 0.24 ml per spray.

I hope these figures are useful in making up mixes.

Enlightened One

Default Re: spray volumes

Good work thanks Bassman for the measurements they could be incorparated into the pheromone calculator.

**DONOTDELETE**

...and how many ml in a drop (let\'s say in a drop out of the AE dropper) ?

<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

...and how many ml in a drop (let\'s say in a drop out of the AE dropper) ?

<hr></blockquote>It will depend, not only on the dropper, but on what you are dropping.

For AE: per a fellow by the name of jonas, who measured it, 0.017 ml per drop of AE using the supplied dropper.

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=UBB4&amp;Number=11 772&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words =ml%20drop%20AE%20dropper&amp;Match=And&amp;Search page=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=1176 8>http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=UBB4&amp;Number=11 772&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words =ml%20drop%20AE%20dropper&amp;Match=And&amp;Search page=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=1176 8</a>

upsidedown

I managed to measure AE at 46 drops per ml out of an AE dropper (actually tested it recently) which to me puts it at .0217 ml per drop.

<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

I managed to measure AE at 46 drops per ml out of an AE dropper (actually tested it recently) which to me puts it at .0217 ml per drop.

<hr></blockquote>Yup. A dropper is not a calibrated device. I could explain this in highly technical terms (I was a chemist, and I thought about this on the drive home from work - need to get a life, eh?). But let\'s not...

You are squirting stuff through a hole. The stuff wants to stick to everything it touches. Liquids are like that. Eventually, the weight of the unsupported part (the, uhhh, \"drop\") increases to where it tears itself away from the supported part (the column of fluid still inside the dropper). So the attraction of the liquid to itself plays a part. The size of the hole in the end of the dropper plays a part, too. Because that\'s how much of the supported part the unsupported part gets to stick to.

Still with me?

As the drop begins to come out of the dropper, it spreads out and coats the end of the dropper. There\'s some glass there. Liquids _like_ glass. Take a wine glass, put some brandy in it, swirl it around. See what\'s happening on the sides? The brandy _likes_ the glass. So not only is the size of the hole important, but the thickness and diameter (both of which play a part in determining how much glass there is for the liquid to mate with) of the delivery end of the dropper are also important.

Principle two: things stick to clean things. Ever try to glue dirt? So the cleanliness of the end of the dropper plays a part in how well the drop will stick to the glass end.

Does all this help you get an idea of why we can\'t get an accurate measurement in \"drops\"?

**DONOTDELETE**

I tested approx. .03ml.

Going very slowly does make bigger drops too so it\'s innacurate even when using the same dropper.

So what we can say is a \"drop\" is really not accurate measurement and for very concentrated products, it may lead to OD sometimes or to good results some other times.

It would be safer to dilute it with a neutral carrier oil (like apricot kernel oil) and to apply more drops, statistically averaging the size of the drops. It would also make it easyer to spread the product over a larger body area.

Maybe I\'ll dilute all my mix 50/50 for that purpose.

Thread Information