Close

Thread: registering

**DONOTDELETE**

Default registering

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Bruce, I am no longer on the user list, so I figured I have to re-register. However, it won\'t let me register because it says You already have an account under my email address.
    Also, you told a user that in order to change the settings, click the \"My Home\" button at the top of the page.
    I don\'t have one. ????????

Default Re: registering

Curious,
    I think you are probably registered, but there is a confusion as to which is your \"real\" name and which is your \"user\" name. I am unable to find anyone registered with the user name \"curious\", but there are two people with the \"real\" name listed in the files as \"curious\". Probably the wording in the old version of the forum was different, and in the old forum you were able to check a box and use your \"real\" name as your display name and possibly even log in with it. In order to log in here you have to use your \"user name\". My guess is that you are one of the 2 people on the board with the \"real\" name \"curious\". They are users \"bills\" and \"jarocho\". Either of those look familiar?

Bruce

Yo!
    Seems I\'ve been demoted to oscar even though it says my displayed name is Wilde Oscar on the profile page. Also gone from PheroDude to Old Hand to Member within 24 hours.
    Damn, by tomorrow I may not even exist!

Wilde Oscar

Hi Oscar,
    I did a brief stint as \"member\" as well. You are actually an \"old hand\" the same as I am, btw. Probably that is not going to be an ongoing problem. The experience ranking system here is completely different than the old forum, but we can change it to whatever we want now. There are room for about 10 \"titles\" as they are called. You can see what they are now by looking at the FAQ. I can change the number of posts required and the name you get when you reach them to anything. For the most part I just left them at the default settings, the highest rating being \"carpul tunnel\", so obviously something must be done at some point. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The displayed name problem is unfortunately not so easily solved. Maybe somebody reading this can find some way to solve the problem, but from what I can see your \"user name\" is who you \"are\" and can not be changed without my deleting that registration completely while you are logged out (learned the part the hard way with Frani), and your reregistering the \"user name\" you want to appear to forum members. I think that is the same as the old forum, BUT with the old forum you could click a button and make your \"real\" name appear as your identity on the forum. I have looked around here and can\'t find any way to do that either as an admin of the board or as a user. The idea with the board is that you register with the name you want to use on the forum and that the \"real\" name you enter in your private area (if you want to give it to me as board admin) is in fact your actual legal name that of cousre most users don\'t want to reveal to the public. I THINK you should be able to keep that and a lot of other info out of the hands of other board members, but somebody may want to play with the buttons and see what you can and can not do.

Sorry for this problem with the names. I am willing to delete anyone who wants to REregsiter under the name they want to appear on the forum.

So far everything else seems to work MUCH better and faster. No 1-5 star rating system, which may be for the best anyway.

Bruce

Thread Information