Close

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Skin color and pheromones

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Today I had the pleasure of meeting up with one of those girls that work in those big department stores who sell fragrances.

Well this is what she said, fragrances work with your body chemistry as everyone knows, but she went further by saying in her experience (she has been selling fragrances for years and years) skin color is the important factor to what fragrance will work. The reason why skin color is never mentioned in fragrance selection is simply not to offend, and clearly would become a racism and discrimination issue if they marketed that way.

She said, people with fair skin respond better with citrus/woody scents like issy and those with darker skin are suited better with sweeter scents. It doesn’t matter how they smell from the bottle, but how the change with your chemistry. Issy smells different on me then it would on another guy with different skin.

I think the same principle would work with pheromones? Has anyone heard of this skin skin color theory?

**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Skin color and pheromones

I am a relatively dark skinned (Italian) creature. My fav colognes of the moment are Obsession/m and Fahrenheit - both very sweet. I bought Issey because I loved it in the bottle, but it doesn\'t do anything interesting when I wear it.

Purely anecdotal, of course, but it seems to go along with what she was telling you.

**DONOTDELETE**

The same here, mediterrean type, sweet fragances seems to last forever( PI, ARAMIS) . Issey fades very quikly, as Eau Sauvage and Gio, altrough Eau Sauvage is my favorite \"fresh\" fragrance.

Eau Sauvge lasts all day for me and is my favorite day-time scent. I\'m a medium white skin type, brown hair.

I wonder if the idea of summer/winter scents has anything to do with sun tans. Does sun darkening affect the cologne response too?

Gents,

I\'m of Welsh-Irish descent with very fair skin. Issey and Acqua di Gio are among the scents that smell best and last longest on me. Again this appears to agree with the advice from the young lady in the department store. Interesting.

Oscar [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

whitehall, apparently, having a tan does not change your skin chemistry, so even if you are very dark from a tan, that still doesnt make you dark skined.

Im tanned and pretty dark from solarium, but fair skin naturally, issy and those type of scents go well with me.

Phero Dude

Hmmm. Perhaps that may be true. Myself, I\'m fairly dark, being half hispanic. I much prefer the sweeter scents, with some of my favorites including A*Men, Hanae Mori, 360, and others. The only heavier fragrances I can stand on myself are Herrera, 212, Allure, and Safari. Admittedly, none of those are especially heavy, but that\'s as far as I care to venture.

Interesting. I\'m mediterranean and Lolita Lempicka (which has anise) works very well for me.

A study by Wedekind indicated that fragrance choice correlated well with genetic make-up (i.e., MHC/HLA diversity), and speculatively offered context: It may be that fragrance choice is designed to enhance our genetically determined scent signals. If so, one could expect to find particular fragrances used among those of similar ethnic or genetic origin.

Phero Dude

a.k.a.:
    Uhhh, despite the anise in Lempicka, it\'s DEFINITELY one of the sweeter scents out there. Nowhere near as sweet as A*Men or Animale Animale, but definitely not a chypre or oriental.

**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m a brother and APC is my scent of choice and seems to be in lock step along with the info above.

Interesting topic,I would have never guessed that sweeter colognes would be better for the darker cultures.Being half hispanic and half black,I was wondering what would be a good choice(s) for me to wear?

B-B-Bump! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thread Information