Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Speaking of myrrh... I recall many years ago being introduced to "church incense" that was composed of bits of frankincense and myrrh (and maybe other things), and "burned" using a special charcoal "disk." Really nice. Could get pretty intense though... May have to go looking for it again.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Yeah, that stuff is really lovely, approaching the level of an experience. Believe I got multiple kinds from an Orthodox Christian church source, and it was quite nice. The Catholics probably get the best, straight from Somalia. You are correct about its strength. If your bedroom is smaller than a church, you're in trouble. Easily the best experience I had of being an altar boy, other than stealing wine, eavesdropping on the confessional, and doing drugs with the priests (just kidding about most of that) was getting to incense the church. That probably was a formative experience. It wouldn't suprise me to learn the incense was spiked with civet, because smelling civet reminds me of the old priest who ran the parish. All these decades later, to remember he smelled of civet. Why? I doubt he woke up and smeared some on. Didn't seem like that kind of priest.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

When designing a fragrance is there a conflict between what we like to smell on ourselves & what others would like to smell on us ... ?
    But we all feel better if we wear a fragrance which we like the smell of on us.

I like a gentle warm musky smell - clean warm skin ?

A fresh smell (what notes are employed here ?) in hot weather is refreshing, & yet a warm spicy smell (which notes ?) is attractive in cold weather so the outside temperature is is relevant here.

Different scents for different seasons ?

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    When designing a fragrance is there a conflict between what we like to smell on ourselves & what others would like to smell on us ... ? But we all feel better if we wear a fragrance which we like the smell of on us. I like a gentle warm musky smell - clean warm skin ? A fresh smell (what notes are employed here ?) in hot weather is refreshing, & yet a warm spicy smell (which notes ?) is attractive in cold weather so the outside temperature is is relevant here. Different scents for different seasons ?
    Interestingly, there's a theory that smells you like will tend to be the ones that smell good on you. So if there's a smell you can't get enough of, go for it I guess. Fresh smells are typically citrus in the top note, almost always. Lavender as a top note is fresh, but a tad bit heavier. Menthol and mints are fresh. Eucalyptus and camphor are fresh. Spices are top notes, but are more popular in the winter. I like them all year round, honestly. Linalool (which smells like the top note of rosewood) is a fresh smell and is quite often used. And some of the artificial musks ("white" musks) are fresh smelling. Geranium. Ylang ylang is kind of fresh. Herbal notes like rosemary or clary can enhance freshness. Pine is fresh. Artificial melon smells (pretty much the only kind of melon smell there is in perfume) are fresh. Sandalwood as a base note can enhance freshness, as it's not that heavy smelling. Ambrette seed as a base note probably supports freshness. Neroli is often thought to smell soapy, which makes it a fresh smell too. Real musk, properly used, can be fresh if diluted enough because of its "transparency" when compared to something more "dense" like vetiver or patchouili. There you go -- everything you never needed to know about freshness in perfume. If you took all the stuff I just named and threw it in a bottle in reasonable proportions, you'd have a fresh smelling cologne. I wasn't a big fan of citrus, but now that I understand how citrus works I rather like it. The citrus smell doesn't really matter, because it's gone in a half hour anyway. You better have something else that smells good underneath it.

Stranger

I'm in Singapore, all year round summer. I like Davidoff Cool Water, Armani Acqua Di Gio, Issey Miyaki for day wear as they give me lasting fresh smell in hot humid Singapore. At night I prefer Gucci Rush and Fahrenheit.

Stranger

Perfume: Nautica Voyage

Journeyman

I like any perfume that would make women attracted to me. And for different seasons I like different smells. For example, in summber, I like "lemon" smells, but in winter, I like "chocolate" smells.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasylove View Post
    I like any perfume that would make women attracted to me. And for different seasons I like different smells. For example, in summber, I like "lemon" smells, but in winter, I like "chocolate" smells.
    I notice I tend to use different scents in different seasons as well. "Lighter" ones in warm weather, "rich" ones in cold weather.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Yeah, you have to account for weather. I can wear spicy scents and earthy scents in the summer, though, just less of them. But I wear more citrus in the summer. Interesting we have someone repping for chocolate. Gourmands sometimes get no respect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information