Close

Hybrid View

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Default What are your favorite smells?

I needs to know! I needs to know! I'm considering making some new perfumes, and like to stay in touch with people on this. Mine are... Wait. Y'all first. Please, and thanks in advance.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Pheros.... Duh!

Otherwise I like whatever is in Chikara scented, Hugo Boss, LP's Merlin's Blend, Eden:Adam, Ares, and Excalibur. Avon had one called Weekend (I think) that I suspect mayy be similar to the Issey Miaki Weekend that gegogi liked (I really don't recall the actual name...). I'm not much of a fragrance wearer so my experience is limitied.

I even find I kinda like Old Spice...

These are also scents I would like on ME rather than on women. If you are thinking of doing women's perfume then I'm gonna have to think about it some.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Doc! Did I hear you correctly? Cool.

Does coffee count? When I saw the subject line, I thought you meant stuff like that, in general. Weird because I rarely drink coffee, don't even keep it in the house, but I love the smell; weird huh? Will sip on a nice latte if the mood is right though. After that, I guess I like spicy stuff, nutmeg, ginger. Don't really want to tip my hand about the cologne favorites. Working on a new one myself. Maybe it's because I'm fasting, but I keep thinking of food smells.

Good to see you again, Doc. Let me know if you are ever in Eugene.
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    I needs to know! I needs to know! I'm considering making some new perfumes, and like to stay in touch with people on this. Mine are... Wait. Y'all first. Please, and thanks in advance.
    Recently I've been using gucci guilty and armani acqua di gio. The former one is more spicy therefore I use it from fall to spring, whereas the latter one is a very fresh fragrance that is ideal for spring and summer.

Really? Cool! I am running low on the last stuff you made and would be very interested in the new batch.

Some odd things. Spicy...like the inside of my spice cupboard. Real musk, and it is really different from the fakes. The inside of a tobacco store, even though I have not smoked in years. The inside of a woodshop unless they are using paints and varnishes. Like Bruce said - Coffee! Thesmell of the forest in the early morning. Fresh mowed grass. Grilling meat from several blocks away.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

When it comes to perfumes, I prefer the natural stuff..... vetiver, rosewood, clove, cardamom, and the fancy expensive stuff like tuberose, champaka, & rose maroc. Mmmmmmmmm!!!!

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Wow, quite a variety. Hi Bruce, Bel, rbt, darkstar, and Pele! If ever in Eugene, I certainly will call, Bruce. I may well call anyway. Especially suprising is the number of heady, earthy, masculine scents you all like. Coffee, huh? Coffee oil is used by coffee producers to flavor beans, but I've never used it in a perfume. Sounds interesting. I read online jasmine sambac is supposed to be a hot new trend in the near future, but I don't know how they know that. One school of thought in perfumery is that there are no real trends, but that a great perfumer will make a scent that sells, even if the idea is old. Currently, I have in mind a series of perfumes that will mark a departure from my previous approach, in hopefully correcting some of its flaws. It's going to be more focused and clear, and something reproduceable. I am putting restrictions and guidelines on myself this time. It's not going to be an 18 month naked romp through 150 random aphrodisiac ingredients, even though that turned out well, complaints from the neighbors notwithstanding. That process was not too sustainable. But I am not abandoning my forte, which is a mostly dogged natural approach that calls on all the traditions. There might be a judiciously placed "laboratory chemical" or several, as warranted. I have been working pretty hard on it, and of course have zero to show so far, not that it's time for that yet. Creative stuff is like that. You can make love to your wife for a year and nothing. Then all of a sudden, triplets. It's but a glint in the eye through glasses at this point, though. Bel, I can almost guarantee at least one of the scents I'll end up making will appeal to that very general direction you alluded to. That's not much to offer yet, but some of those ideas intrigue me and it would be a pleasure to send one your way. Old Spice!? At one time I started a more natural, and therefore high end, version of sort of an Old Spice approach. Never finished it, but had some nice early experiences. I respect the heck out of that product, as cheesy as some people think it is. What I can say so far is that the main ingredient or theme in Old Spice (can anyone guess what that is?) is one I will be exploring, at least for part of a perfume. One of the main ingredients if you're going to do it right, an expensive natural substance, would have a batch consistency issue, which is the kind of thing you have to think about. But it might be somewhat resolvable if we are willing to accept that variation. I'm also going to have a fresh fragrance in there somewhere, at some point in the series. Just so you all know, the trade off is that you have to absolutely accept that it won't last near as long on your skin. The only reason there are citrus and lavender perfumes today is because of chemicals and chemical fixatives. Otherwise all you can have is sort of refreshing splashes that don't last. I am still avoiding most of that stuff. You can certainly use lots of techniques that help, from the ground up. Dont get me wrong. I'd be using various natural fixatives every step of the way, and special fixatives for fresh or citrus scents, for that matter. But... You'd just have to be prepared to reapply. The idea of a natural, top note heavy, refreshing perfume that lasts all day is fiction, except as a modern laboratory chemical advance. For those of you who mentioned spices, I am planning to have something specifically for you too. I have a lovely fragrant spice on me as I type, as part of that experiment. It is currently undecided what perfume to start with. By the way, the forum software cancels all paragraphs when I post for some reason, so I apologize about the terrible readability. Perhaps there is a glitch with my browser or browser security.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 03-26-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Is it Ginger? In old spice? Synthetic of course .....

And I would think something as delicious and classic as jasmine sambac would never go "out" , but I've never cared what was trendy. I like what I like! I forgot about key lime....... and lemongrass which has a more tenacious scent and according to my boyfriend, blends intoxicatingly with the nature scent of "down south" ; )
    The scent of lemongrass gives him instant Pavlovian wood ..... teehee! Think copulins + lemongrass .... oooohhhhh!!!

I can't wait to hear/smell your creations!

Doc, with the results I got from you last batch (I still have some) I'll be willing to try anything you come up with.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information