Close

Thread: Wow!

Default Wow!

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I like it but what a surprise to see the new forum this morning.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I commented already elsewhere, but, yeah... Interesting new look and feel.

Still looking for the emoticons/smilies...

Maybe have to go back to the dark ages of :-) and >.<
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Hi Guys,

Yeah, a few obvious problems, but it's supposed to have all the bells and whistles. We hadn't upgraded in quite a while.
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Hear that Rbt? Bells and Whistles, so hit your computer with a stick and blow on it. Emoticons will come...

And yes, the new forum looks great!

I'm no expert at this stuff, but when I hit "reply" I get a box with a smiley face in a row of icons above it. When I hit that another box opens up with a bunch of other guys in there.

Thanks for the support and comments. Let me know if you see any other problems.

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    Hear that Rbt? Bells and Whistles, so hit your computer with a stick and blow on it. Emoticons will come... And yes, the new forum looks great!
    Finally! I got a "reply" box to open. Took forever. And I see the smilies now. But they are tiny. And I can't get them into the message body... Going to see if "writing" it out with the code works.And idesign, I have been here hoping to find out how to "ring someones chimes" but with pheromones not a stick, and that isn't the kind of "blow" j0b I had in mind...:think
    It's apathy

Well, looks like I'll be using the Quick Reply for now. Can see the smileys, but can't insert them into message body. I apparently lose my formatting (see how above message is all run together), only get a blank box when I try to edit... etc.Can probably insert quotes using copy and paste and hand writing the "quote" tags.Let's see if I can get a smiley to work manually this time::Think

Nope. Tried advanced, and got message #6 results. Tried "Quick Reply" and got message #7 result. However THIS time when I hit Quick I did get a "formatting bar" across the top of the box (a first). Everything seems ultra slow to load. And I still lose my formatting (spaces between periods is gone) and the smileys still won't insert even manually. Trying to Edit only (eventually) gets me a blank box (and I let things sit for a couple of hours and took a nap in between...).

Eh... as long as I can get my message accross, even if it isn't pretty, and I have to use old-fashioned emoticons... We'll survive...

Just noticed #7 (directly above) didn't do my signature line either...

(PS using Windows Vista and IE - as "standard" as I can get for testing)
    It's apathy

Well, an obvious problem is that you are using Vista. Or there may be something else going on since it is behaving erratically. As you can see, the emoticons work for others. Have you done any maintenance on your computer lately? It could be something as simple as some control you have turned off too.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Well I haven't purposly changed anything, but Vista likes to do things in the background on it's own... plus there is someone else who uses thing system that sometimes does some sort of strange things totally by accident. I hate it when I have to deal with multiple users on a system...Noticed post #8 came out fine.... Fomat and all.This time I hit the "reply" box and got what looks like the "advanced" editor rather than the quick post editor (plus I see the "look" of the forum has been changed again so someone at the top is still playing with it...).Clicking on the smilies still won't get them to appear in message body though.Let's see if this manaual attempt works -:Rofl
    It's apathy

I have been here hoping to find out how to "ring someones chimes" but with pheromones not a stick, and that isn't the kind of "blow" j0b I had in mind...:think

Understand

Rbt, have you updated IE lately? You might also try updating Flash and Java, the icons pop up in a Flash box, I think, I'm not too expert either.

Agree with Bel, I had nothing but trouble with Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    Understand

Rbt, have you updated IE lately? You might also try updating Flash and Java, the icons pop up in a Flash box, I think, I'm not too expert either.

Agree with Bel, I had nothing but trouble with Vista.
    ID is right, remarkably enough , about updating IE and Vista. That would be the first thing. You should also go into internet options and restore the default settings. That might resolve the problem but do it after running the updates. If you can get a copy of Windows 7 you should just update your whole system as Vista is well known to have all sorts of erratic flaws in it. Your computer willrun better and faster with 7.

Thomas Jefferson

I have IE 8 on this machine right now. I loaded IE 9 onto my Win7 netbook and I hate it. The tabs are too small and I keep accidently closing the tabs when I click on them to open one. IE 8 gives me more "width" for the tabs (and I can often have a lot of tabs open on that system. Usually don't have more than 4 or 5 tabs on this system with 8 (only have 4 tabs right now). I use the netbook for doing some more serious work and I can have 8 different web page tabs (or more) going at onceLike I said, as long as I can communicate here, even if it's the equivalent of a clay tablet, it's good enough. 8-p
    It's apathy

Thread Information