Close

Default Oud-store in London? Forget name/location...

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Guys,
    A couple of years back I was in an "oud-shop" in London:

It was a quite upper class venue with two stories, where you went down one story for a "oud-showroom" where you could test and smell different ouds.

Anyone knows this store?
    I cannot recall the name, nor the location of it...

Thanks,
    W

No, sorry. If you are looking for Oud I do know an excellent source though. Been buying from him for years and never once got a bad deal.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Belgareth,
    If memory serves me right I actually bought some Oud from a source of yours (by your advise) way, way back...the oud was very good, but a little too "heavy" and "animalistic" for me...

Sadly, the bottle was lost when I moved some years back...and I cannot really recall what "type" of oud it was.

Maybe I could ask you some advise concerning this, if it is ok with you?

I have looked around and there seems to be quite a lot of different types of Oud which - if I read the descriptions correctly - differs quite a lot from each other.

It is quite difficult to know what kind of Oud I would be interested in...I know that I don´t want the kind that smells heavy and animalistic...so I happily take any advise on what Oud-type I should use...

The reason for my original question was that I tried oud on when I was in London - and I may have found the store btw - and that oud was very unlike what I actually got myself later on.

I guess I am not a hard-core oud user after all....

// W

The darker the Oud the stronger and more primitive the scent is a good rule of thumb. Also, the older, aged Ouds are more earthy. Perhaps it is just me but I like the dark Oud better.

Sometimes you can find it mixed with other scents, such as sandalwood to make a milder product too.

I have found tha I get numerous compliments from a combination of Oud and deer musk. It sounds a little heavy but women, especially hispanic and black, seem to really like the mix. Add some A7 and you have a killer combo.

Your experiences would be helpful and I suggest you contact my friend for advice. He is very honest and will steer you in the right direction based on your tastes. You can find him on EBay under the name ham_frl.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks...

Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot find the seller you refer to on Ebay..,when i search for this UserID I get the error:

"...The seller UserID you entered was not found..."

Quote Originally Posted by real_wiseman View Post
    Guys,
    A couple of years back I was in an "oud-shop" in London:

It was a quite upper class venue with two stories, where you went down one story for a "oud-showroom" where you could test and smell different ouds.

Anyone knows this store?
    I cannot recall the name, nor the location of it...

Thanks,
    W
    I did a Google search on 'Oud London' & got this store in Oxford Street, London:

http://www.arabianoud.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    I have found tha I get numerous compliments from a combination of Oud and deer musk.
    Belgareth,
    Have you any experience, or do you think, that deer musk on its own would attract women ? Natural substances must have been used for this purpose before over-the-shelf 'mones were available.

I read that some women like the smell of ambergris which is animalistic.

I am interested in the use of natural substances for attracting purposes. Does anyone have any effective ones ?

Real Wise Man:
    Here's the link to his store outside of EBay: http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/StoreFront *For the record, I don't get anything for referring him, he probably doesn't even know I do it. Having dealt with him for some years now I just find him very trustworthy. He is every bit as honest as Bruce.

Chas:
    Yes, I have had great results with plain musk oil, lots of compliments. It is a little more sweet than Oud by itself, which is why I mix it. The two balance each other out nicely. However, musk (my preference is the chinese deer musk) by itself works very well as it has quite a few matural pheromones in it. As a cover for A7 or TE it is pretty potent.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    Chas:
    Yes, I have had great results with plain musk oil, lots of compliments. It is a little more sweet than Oud by itself, which is why I mix it. The two balance each other out nicely. However, musk (my preference is the chinese deer musk) by itself works very well as it has quite a few matural pheromones in it. As a cover for A7 or TE it is pretty potent.
    Belgareth,
    Thanks for the information - is the Chinese Deer Musk you used the same as this one:

http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-...se-Wild/Detail

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Belgareth,
    Thanks for the information - is the Chinese Deer Musk you used the same as this one:

http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-...se-Wild/Detail
    Exactly. I like it a lot.

Thomas Jefferson

Just wanted to update you with a review of some Ouds I recently tried...(I have noticed it is sometimes spelled "Oudh", but I stick with Oud if you don´t mind)

Since I am based within the EU, I did not order from the QT-store, but from a UK-based company instead.

I ordered a "Starter pack" consisting of three different ouds:

Black Assam (indian)
    Samarinda Oud (Borneo)
    Malaysia Oud

For three consecutive days I tried them on the back of my hand in the morning to see how it wold develop during the day and see how the drydown was.

The Malaysian Oud I tried the first day.
    At application it has a quite sharp burnt/smoky/woody note, that mellows after about 10-15 minutes to a pleasant smoky note, reminding me a little of how your clothes smell after you have been sitting around a campfire. The drydown is quite a lot of hours. I applied a very small amount, not even a drop and I could still note the scent in the evening. The color is light brown.

Granted, it is not that warm now where I live, around 10 degrees Celsius so I am unsure how long this oud would last in a warmer climate.

I tested to spray a layer of my quite woody sandalwood perfume from "Santa Maria Novella" (Google it! It´s a really nice perfume-house) on top of the Malaysian Oud which added an interesting burnt/smoky undertone/basenote to the perfume.

This is a oud I could very well thinking of buying (although the sample will last quite some time, albeit being only a few drops. This is potent stuff...)

The Samarinda Oud from Borneo I tested the second day. It had a more "warm" sweet smooky smell. As the Malaysian it has a quite strong burnt/woody/smoke scent direct after application, but mellows down quite well. The color is darker brown, darker than the Malaysian.

When I compare it to the Malaysian Oud it is quite hard to describe. This one smells more sweet and warm and gives me an impression of a warm fire when I smell it. It is hard to describe exactly what I mean...this one is nice too, but if I had a choice between the Malaysian and Samarinda, I would go with the former.

They are both good, but I like more the smoky/woody scent than the sweet/smoky/woody scent.

Now, the Assam...I tried that on today and - man! - I had to scrub my hand with detergent and some clear alcohol to get rid of the scent.

In my taste this one smelled kinda awful.

It starts out with a fecal note with a hint of the scent of a stable and goes downhill from there. I could only stand it on my hand for like 10 minutes before I had to get rid of it...

I amused myself to perform a test with my mother that was visiting and made her close her eyes and smell the three different ouds. First the Malaysian, which she liked, then the Samarinda, which she liked, then the Assam and she makes a face and says "it smells of horsedung!" which it kinda does.

This Assam oud was not for me..

Quote Originally Posted by real_wiseman View Post
    Since I am based within the EU, I did not order from the QT-store, but from a UK-based company instead.
    The QT-store had free worldwide postage ... The owner might be able to advise you on the most suitable one for you.

Thread Information