Close

Default So what does an expensive watch say about you?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    To paraphrase a radio/print ad I keep encountering...

"So what does an expensive watch say about

you?"

The company pushing the ad is of course trying to sell big-buck watches (based on ego I'm sure...), but

ladies and gents, what DOES an expensive watch say to you?

No I never really thought much about em. In fact I

hardly ever even notice someone's wrist watch, unless it's some gleaming hunk of flashy metal and jewels, and then

I usually have a "what an exhibitioninst" reaction (or "ewww, what were they thinking" reaction). What ever the

reaction, it isn't a positive one. At least for me.

But then again I sometimes run across some article on "what

to look for in a guy or girl" or "what to wear to lure that hot guy or girl" that suggests dropping some large

amount of your savings on such a piece. And much to my complete suprise, I not long ago had a conversation with a

woman who actually had "wears an expensive watch" on her list of what counts when she was looking for a guy.

(However I should also point out that she is nearing retirement and still single...).

Me? I'm happy as all get

out with my $35USD digital Timex. Even Presidient Clinton wore a Timex Ironman watch (also about $35). And we know

he got a girl or two (right Monica?).

So what all do the rest of you out there think? Especially in this age of

grabbing a cell phone to check the time rather than glancing at a wrist (or pulling out the pocket watch).

Does

what watch someone wears make any difference to you?

Does wearing a certain type of watch seem to affect how

others react to you?

Do those feelings relate to how you react in a "business" sense, a "dating/mating" sense,

neither, or both?

So take a little TIME and let us know.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Some call watches 'male

jewellery' as they one of the few items that we can adorn ourselves with. It may be a way of expressing

individuality. There are only a few extra items like tie pins/studs.

I am puzzled by the popularity (in the UK)

of watches with a stopwatch function (chronograph ?). Some cool dudes like big Rolex Daytonas with this function but

they are hard to get.

I asked in a Jewellery shop what people used the chronograph function for & he replied

'Timing eggs ..'

Phero Dude

Its jewelry. For men and women oddly enough. A fair number of people hang in groups where the other people within the group will comment on things like your watch, your car, the neighborhood you live in etc. Its a status symbol as much as many other things. Yhe ability to spend more on a watch than a family of four earns on a month says "I have arrived" in some peoples world.
    "The wages of sin is death.But after taxes it's just sort of a tired feeling realy." -Ellen DeGeneres

I live in the land of knock-offs, and they're pretty good. Status is King and a fake is as good as the real thing.

Like anywhere else in the world, the observer of bling is as deep as the importance she places on such things. If a watch, or car, or house matters too much you're likely to matter much less.

Thread Information