Close

Thread: Pheros

Default Pheros

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I hate I missed the boat on

this one. Now that I'm interested in Pheros can this be found anywhere. I think I read DST stop making this

product. Thanks

He made one batch. The way he

made it makes it almost impossible to duplicate because what he did was keep adding and testing until he found the

mix to be to his liking. If LS doesn't have any more, you'll never see the same product again.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

That's what i was afraid of.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    He made one batch. The way he

made it makes it almost impossible to duplicate because what he did was keep adding and testing until he found the

mix to be to his liking. If LS doesn't have any more, you'll never see the same product again.
    I have´t been here for almost 2 years according to the forum - time flies...and much good and bad has happened in my life since then.

I recently re-discovered my old bottle of Pheros that haven´t been opened for quite some time and been stored in a dark place...

I opened the bottle and it still smells really good...

I would guess that the good doctor - I would anyway - keep some sort of general recipe for the mix, at least what notes he used...I would love to see this in a re-make (even though my bottle is still quite full, it will run out at some point or oxidize or similar)

// rw

A cologne with a similar tone with Pheros (note I said "similar tone" not "same as") is Jovan Sex Appeal for Men.

Herbal and helps as an aphrodisiac.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Thanks for your interest in Pheros.

Belgareth is correct. There will be no more, unfortunately. I have a small stash like some of you. It smells better than ever. It's a bit sad because it turned out better than I expected as it aged, and lack of age was its major flaw when it was available (according to a "Nose" who reviewed it), because it smelled like too many things at once without the proper seasoning. Now it smells much simpler and more elegant, to my nose.

But when I made it I was just an amateur perfumer, and did not intend to sell it. It was a labor of love, and at some point I decided to bring it to market, mainly because I made so damn much of the stuff in my obsession. It contains 150 first rate, even "elite" (in some cases) ingredients. In that statement lies the difficulty. Many of the ingredients are extremely difficult to obtain reliably, in the same quality, so irreproduceable batches might even be necessary.

And the "formula"? The formula was just a number of ideas and principles that guided lots of tweaking until it was OK:

At first I was aiming for a juniper perfume, because juniper is a rare top note aphrodisiac (most top notes are opposite to aphrodisiacs, like citrus) that smells male. So there was lots of juniper initially, and wood notes (sandalwoods, cedars and oud) to support the juniper. Then there were strong musk/pheromone notes for obvious reasons, and some sweet/ambery notes (including weird things like tobacco, almond, and honey, as well as regular amber notes like balsams, vanillas and labdanums) to round it off, as well as the complex spice notes to support a masculine aprodisiac top note and add seductive attractiveness. I remember using chamomile to smooth it out, and valerians to give an animal note (smelly feet have the same chemical as valerian) and make it relaxing. There were trace amounts of every available pheromone for a humanizing element, including a trace of copulins. I almost ruined it by adding a drop of lavender and I think geranium (an African aphrodisiac), and the cumin didn't sit too well at first either (cumin has analog copulins, so I'd do the same thing over and just keep it light, as I did). So a lot of energy at one point went into repairing flaws in the smell. That's how the amber note got stronger, because you can fix almost anything by adding a load of amber. Of course, there was a floral note of jasmine, rose, neroli, and perhaps carnation. You can't neglect flowers if you want attraction.

So the idea was to use every element of attraction perfuming known to mankind, and I was "stupid" enough to stick to that principle throughout. It was so ambitious, I just barely pulled it off (through tons of extra work/expense) without ruining everything with over-complexity.

Between this post and my other posts on Pheros, a person could obtain a list of most of the ingredients.

Pretty much every aphrodisiac substance from perfume chemistry (e.g., andrane), occult theory (e.g., bay and benzoin), mammalian pheromone biology (-nol, -rone, -none), and ancient perfume theory (frankincense, myrrhs, sandalwoods, jasmines, and the stuff they embalmed Jesus with) that you could name was in there. I am serious. I wanted it to be the best, in a naive sort of way.

If I ever discover a reliable source or sources for the same type of things there is no reason I couldn't do another perfume of similar philosophy, but that is a big "if." To say some of these things are difficult to get is an understatement (Belgareth had some success locating some rare perfuming ingredients and perhaps has some understanding of this).

The only other person I know of who did something like what I did (with "analog pheromones" -- you won't hear anyone besides me and him talk about that) is retired now. I learned a lot from this guy. However, some of his stuff is available in small quantity from an old friend of mine (OK three people know about analog pheromones including him). Since he sells pheromone perfumes (small time and locally, mostly, but he was doing it way before Bruce), I regard him as a competitor to Bruce and won't post anything on him. But if someone PMs me, I'll see what I can dig up, if he is even still in business. He is all about scents rather than lab pheromones like Bruce. Oh crap, I just remembered Bruce doesn't allow PMs. Hmm.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 08-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

OK, I'm definitely interested in this "analog pheromones". Contact me at fffchmm@hotmail.com for more info please

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    Thanks for your interest in Pheros.

Oh crap, I just remembered Bruce doesn't allow PMs. Hmm.
    Then how do we get through to you? I'm interested in this "analog pheromone" thingy also!

Doc,

How do we talk you into a new batch?!?! Free plane ride to SunRiver and lunch?

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

DST,

A very interesting post. Have you thought of producing a new product (son of Pheros...) - a slimmed down version incorporating just the main notes ?

What are analog pheromones ? I only know analog in the computing sense.

I was interested to read about juniper being an aphrodisiac, & cumin having analog copulins. I didn't think of either having those properties but you're the expert here. I like chewing cumin seeds so I'm not sure what that means ...

You mentioned that citrus scents are opposite to aphrodisiacs. The Middle Eastern 'perfumes' for men smell too perfumed to me to be aphrodisiacs so why are they used out there ?

Interesting that you said that bay is an aphrodisiac from occult theory. I've got a 20 foot tall bay tree in my garden - it grows well in London, U.K.

Thanks.

I've got to tell you, Doc., it aged really well. You had some concern about it, as I recall, but it went from very good to spectacular. Now I am glad I hoarded a pretty good supply. Wearing Pheros never fails to get me compliments and I've turned down several offers to sell some of my stash. Not gunna happen!

Yes, I can understand the reliability problems and do have a connection I'd be happy to share with you where you might be able to get some of those items reliably. I can vouch for his reliablity and quality for many of the ancient scents we in the west know little about. Let me know and I'll email his contact information to you.

Speaking for me personally, I would love for you to make another try at it. Adding what I'm sure you learned from the first batch could turn out a fine product, possibly better than the first.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

+1

I only bought one bottle, but I am holding on to that one...

DST:
    I am also interested in the analog pheros that you mention.
    If you wish, please contact me at "wiseman (at) spray.se"

I am so glad I got a bottle of this. I've used about 1/4 of it, and only break it out for special occasions. It smells gooooood... and it also goes well with my scented chikara and as a cover for my unscented TE.

I saw a perfumers-site (from which I bought stuff years ago) that claimed they could - more or less anyways - replicate almost any fragrance and make it oilbased, i.e. the carrier would be oil and not alcohol.

Now I would assume that Pheros would be hard to replicate, but it would be interesting to see whether they could replicate the scent or not. From what DST writes I would assume that this replica - if ever mafe - wouldn´t have the qualities the "real" Pheros has, what with all the natural ingredients, but maybe just an approximation of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by real_wiseman View Post
    I saw a perfumers-site (from which I bought stuff years ago) that claimed they could - more or less anyways - replicate almost any fragrance and make it oilbased, i.e. the carrier would be oil and not alcohol.

Now I would assume that Pheros would be hard to replicate, but it would be interesting to see whether they could replicate the scent or not. From what DST writes I would assume that this replica - if ever mafe - wouldn´t have the qualities the "real" Pheros has, what with all the natural ingredients, but maybe just an approximation of the scent.

At the risk of drawing a too-distant analogy, that would be like reproducing the Mona Lisa in a paint-by-numbers kit.

Beyond the difficulty of obtaining the proper ingredients - and that's enough in itself - Doc put a lot of artful blending and intuitive understanding of what he wanted to achieve into the process. I think its a matter of Pheros being greater than the sum of its parts, rare as they may be.

Think of it as a great film, it can only be made once.

I guess someone could come close, but the cost would be prohibitive and the result would inevitably be far less than the original.

A factor that also must be considered is what it does, not only how it smells. Analogue pheromones give Pheros a dimensional aspect that few products can match.

PS Doc, I think you should post information about your friend who is working with analogue pheromones and scents. I don't see a competitive problem if he's not doing lab 'mones. I think Bruce is working on the PM situation.

Idesign,
    You are absolutely right of course and I agree with you, it would probably be quite hard to get all the ingredients.

It was just an idea how to preserve the scent (not the effect, since that would imply that you need the original ingredients) since I really like it. But as of now, my bottle is 3/4 full so I have quite a long time left.

I too would very much like to hear more of the analogue pheros DST mentioned and would like to be included in a "PM-group" so to speak (or a closed part of the forum or similar).

// rw

Hi DST
    I am really interested in finding out more about these 'analog pheremones'. If you could email me at: <Email address deleted> I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Abe
    Last edited by belgareth; 10-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassbeats View Post
    Hi DST
    I am really interested in finding out more about these 'analog pheremones'. If you could email me at: <Email address deleted> I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Abe
    bassbeats,

I deleted your email address. Let me know if you want to share it with DST or others but don't post it openly. You'll get enough spam to sink a ship.

Any moderator will be happy to help you get in touch with other forum members through email.

Thomas Jefferson

Hi Belgareth
    I am not sure how to contact you privately to ask if you could do this
    but if you could send DST my email address that would be great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bassbeats View Post
    Hi Belgareth
    I am not sure how to contact you privately to ask if you could do this
    but if you could send DST my email address that would be great!

Thanks
    Ok, consider it done.

Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information