Close

Default Pheros concentration/dillution

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Has

anyone had person say Pheros stinks to them? I put 2ml of Pheros into a atomizer and had 4 female friends smell it.

It was the unconcentrated (comes in a full bottle) version with nothing added to it.

3 of the 4 said it stunk

and 1 said it wasn't bad, but was too strong. I did get a good reaction from another friend using Tgparkers combo

of 1:3 Pheros:Old Spice though. I was just wondering if anyone thought the "regular" version of Pheros was still a

real concentrated smell as well.
    If I'm the rubber and your the glue..then I'd probably get some, and you'd just be sticky

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

That is so far the most

pointedly negative feedback on the actual smell of Pheros I've received, although it always has been a scent

that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

In general it wouldn't appeal to those who like light, super clean, fresh,

citrusy, summery scents, like Gegogi. That is unavoidable because of the choices I made in constructing it to go for

a bit more animal appeal for the forum's purposes. But I'd more expect to get the "cup of tea" reaction from that

crowd, if you know what I mean.

Generallly I think of it as a bit too mellow smelling to come across as strong

and stinky per se.

Did something react with the perfume, perhaps something in the atomizer?

Did you have them

smell it out of the bottle or on you?

When you smell it, does it stink to you? does it smell like it always

did?

Is there a possibility of contamination? I know for me I'm always careful to wash my hands before using it.

Any kind of funky substance has the potential to react with it, spoil it, turn it sour, or contaminate it. Had you

added pheromones to it?

Just curious -- how old were the females?
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

I think it smells great both

concentrate and regular myself. Thats why I was so surprised at the faces they made. As if I stuck a bottle of EoW

under their nose.

3 of the 4, the ones who didn't like it are in the range of 42-45. The youngest one, 29, is

the one who said it was good, but too strong.

It was a brand new atomizer I had just received in the mail that

same day. I didn't wash the atomizer out before adding the Pheros though. So its not enitrely out of the question

that might be a factor but I wouldn't think so.

They did smell it right out of the bottle. It didn't occur to

me at the time the difference in concentration between smelling 3ml straight versus 1 or 2 sprays worn by a person.

I was already wearing something else and didn't want to cross the smells. I had just taken it along for their

opinion of it since I like it and wondered what others thought.

Something curious I have noticed though between

the concentrate and regular Pheros bottles though. The regular bottles appear to be a murkey shade and looks to

have a "sediment" that settles to the bottom of the bottle like some ingredients that didn't completely disolve.

While the concentrate appears a more solid color with no "sediment" at the bottom.

I've been sure to shake the

bottle and mix it together before drawing it out with a dropper just in case the flakes add something the scent.
    If I'm the rubber and your the glue..then I'd probably get some, and you'd just be sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I

think it smells great both concentrate and regular myself. Thats why I was so surprised at the faces they made. As

if I stuck a bottle of EoW under their nose.

3 of the 4, the ones who didn't like it are in the range of 42-45.

The youngest one, 29, is the one who said it was good, but too strong.

It was a brand new atomizer I had just

received in the mail that same day. I didn't wash the atomizer out before adding the Pheros though. So its not

enitrely out of the question that might be a factor but I wouldn't think so.

They did smell it right out of the

bottle. It didn't occur to me at the time the difference in concentration between smelling 3ml straight versus 1 or

2 sprays worn by a person. I was already wearing something else and didn't want to cross the smells. I had just

taken it along for their opinion of it since I like it and wondered what others thought.

Something curious I have

noticed though between the concentrate and regular Pheros bottles though. The regular bottles appear to be a murkey

shade and looks to have a "sediment" that settles to the bottom of the bottle like some ingredients that didn't

completely disolve. While the concentrate appears a more solid color with no "sediment" at the bottom.

I've

been sure to shake the bottle and mix it together before drawing it out with a dropper just in case the flakes add

something the scent.
    I think the women who are in the range of 42-45 are not your targets. And as you

mentioned, the young one said it was good. The result was not bad,

coz.

What works for some, does not

work for everyone. Pheros did not work for me. Every time I wore it, people said I smell weird. I'm sure Pheros

works amazing on some people, but not for me.

________
    LovelyWendie
    Last edited by chicago; 04-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.

I have the regular "diluted" Pheros

product, and have always applied it by dabbing it on. I have never had a negative comment, although I have gotten

sorta "neutral" comments ("it's alright...").

I personally think it's a great scent, but I consider it a

"winter" or "special more formal occasion" scent rather than a "summery" "light" (ie Cool Water type) scent.

But

different strokes for different folks...
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

I've gotten nothing but

compliments on the smell of pheros, but I only wear the equivelent of 1 or 2 dabs. although when it is freshly

applied it is a bit overpowering.

I can tell you, though, that

before I put Pheros into a new bottle from the factory, I personally wash that little bottle five times

with detergent and grain alcohol. The bottles I use aren't particularly clean coming out of the factory.

I

think the problem could well have been a dirty atomizer bottle. At least it would be hard to rule that out, And the

odds seem high that it would be a problem to some extent..

Before putting any organic matter into a new bottle

from a store, one should wash the bottle. It is no different with a natural perfume. It's probably more important

in the subtle realm of nature's scents.

It just takes a few molecules of something sometimes -- a contaminant --

to throw the smell in another direction.

I hadn't heard of washing

with grain alcohol. Is that to kill germs and bacteria?

I tried a mix this week of 2ml Pheros, 3ml Old Spice, 5

drops npa, .5 SOE gel. Asked one of the person again that previously said it wasn't good. This time just smelling

it with 2 sprays on my neck, she said she really like it.

Washing a bottle with hot

soapy water, and rinsing thoroughly, is probably enough in your case. Probably.

But the alcohol of course is a

good solvent that kills germs and removes things that soap can't. You could use 151 rum or grain alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol (at the strongest strength, -- usually there are two strengths at the store) would be OK if you

also clean and rinse the bottle thoroughly afterwards with soap and water. Always follow a hot rinse with a cold

one, to remove soap residue. That is typically most convenient and cheapest.

If you are mixing it with Old Spice,

all bets are off. I have no idea whatsoever what that would do.

Oh, BTW: Five drops of NPA would be an OD

ten times over for me, and would stink like hell on my body. If you're worried about stinking, you want to rule out

an NPA OD. Some few people can wear that much, but a large majority cannot.

Yes. 5 drops by itself I would

think way too much. Although 5 drops mixed into 5ml of a cover. Then 1-2 sprays I would think would be less than 1

drop. I think when I tried to measure it awhile back that 1 spray was roughly equiv to .1ml (or maybe .01ml..I

forget which at this hour of the night.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Something curious I have noticed though between the concentrate and regular Pheros bottles

though. The regular bottles appear to be a murkey shade and looks to have a "sediment" that settles to the bottom

of the bottle like some ingredients that didn't completely disolve. While the concentrate appears a more solid

color with no "sediment" at the bottom.

I've been sure to shake the bottle and mix it together before drawing

it out with a dropper just in case the flakes add something the scent.
    The sediment is normal, and is a

precipitate from the variety of organic ingredients.

Part of the precipitate you see was from fresh raw valerian

root, and fresh vanilla bean paste, for example. It dissolves with the higher alcohol concentration in the

concentrated version, but precipitates out with the regular strength.

It doesn't really matter whether you

shake it or not, as the smell is evenly distributed throughout the perfume after all those years maturing. I tend to

shake it once or twice, though, for fun; just in case it makes a difference of some kind.

Stranger

Red face dr.

Why would you add valrilium

root to a phero mix? Alchemy!

How could I break mug wort down and at it to my mixtures. also How can I

convert change the ethenal based pheremones to oils??

Quote Originally Posted by wlsace View Post
    Why would

you add valrilium root to a phero mix? Alchemy!

How could I break mug wort down and at it to my mixtures.

also How can I convert change the ethenal based pheremones to oils??
    The valerian root and valerian

root oils (at least three kinds) contain human pheromones, such as iso-valerianic acid, a common ingredient in human

sweat, especially on feet. Dogs also produce the chemical, which is why we call feet "dogs", as in "boy my dogs are

tired". Dogs are comforting to humans partly because of their pheromones. The ingredient is one reason why

Pheros is relaxing to smell for most everyone. Valium can also be derived from valerian, hence the

names.

Incidentally, vanilla is also comforting, as are animal musks, etc., etc.

Alcohol and water mixes do

not mix with oil unless the alcohol level is high. A bottle of Edge will not mix well with oil, though I have mixed

sandalwood oil into a bottle of Edge and it was OK if you kept shaking it. Pure alcohol mixes with oil no

problem.

If you want to add mugwort to a perfume you have to soak it in pure grain alcohol at a high

concentration. Why? Witchcraft!

hmmm, I find dogs overly

annoying. I'm more of a cat person, because they are calmer.

Funny that you mention the feet thing, when I

first got pheros, I wore it the next day at my weekend job, my Supervisor kept going on and on about how great my

cologne smelled. Also in in one of our conversations awhile back he mentioned he has a major foot fetish. this makes

things a bit awkward now come to think of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by kgk4569 View Post
    hmmm, I

find dogs overly annoying. I'm more of a cat person, because they are calmer.

Funny that you mention the feet

thing, when I first got pheros, I wore it the next day at my weekend job, my Supervisor kept going on and on about

how great my cologne smelled. Also in in one of our conversations awhile back he mentioned he has a major foot

fetish. this makes things a bit awkward now come to think of it.....
    Many who have foot fetishes would love

the smell of valerian root, no question, at least at a certain light concentration (the essential oil, especially,

is extremely stinky, but open up a can of valerian root herb and smell if you want to know exactly what I mean). The

smell is, in part, exactly the same. The world of pheromones and smell is interesting, is it not?

Thread Information